Dungeons and Draugr: Skill quantities

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Dungeons and Draugr: Skill quantities

Post by AndreiChekov »

I'm working on writing a sort of 3.5 hack for a gaming group that I know. They are mostly people that are illiterate, and only play drunk, so the level of complexity cannot be particularly high. After reading through bakuhatsu gakuen, I decided that pools were better for skills than d20, but I'm going with d20 for combat because that is what I know, and I don't have to work too hard for the math.

I am currently working on the skill section. My main question here is, "Do these skills cover enough?"

Acrobatics - jumping, balancing, everything a circus tumbler could do

Athletics - running, climbing, swimming.. etc.

Knowledge - all the knowledges put together. You meet a troll, and use this to know that it can't regenerate after taking fire damage, and has an AC of 15... etc

Perception - Locating enemies and... Nothing else I guess

Sneak - hiding moving silently, stabbing people without them knowing about it...

Speechcraft - appraise, diplomacy, intimidate, gather information rolled into one.

Thieving - picking pockets, disabling traps, unlocking locks...

Should I have more skills?

And, as an after thought, at each level, players get "perks" which are totally not feats. these will cover the things like ridiculous jumping that you can do in obrivion, and things like that.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

I'm skeptical that Acrobatics and Athletics need/want to be different skills.

Investigation, maybe? You've rolled Gather Info into speechcraft, so I suppose that includes Sense Motive as well - and searching for hidden stuff is Perception or Thieving?

For other character concepts, things like gadgeteer or alchemist, I assume you'd have those as class features or not be in game at all?
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

DrPraetor wrote:I'm skeptical that Acrobatics and Athletics need/want to be different skills.

Investigation, maybe? You've rolled Gather Info into speechcraft, so I suppose that includes Sense Motive as well - and searching for hidden stuff is Perception or Thieving?

For other character concepts, things like gadgeteer or alchemist, I assume you'd have those as class features or not be in game at all?
Searching for hidden stuff would be perception. Thank you for pointing that out. I know I have giant holes in this system.

Gadgeteer is not supported, and alchemist is based on feats that just let you do it automatically, no skill ranks required.

The game is based on Skyrim, so your equipment defining you, as a gadget guy... etc, doesn't make sense. It would be like everyone being good with socks, and you get a special sock... Everyone gets a special sock.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x