Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Saw this on a Facebook group, interested in the Den's suggestions
I currently have a 11th level sorcerer (soon to be L12) in a world which has just found itself with no gods (It's a long story, yeah we did it).
What I'm hoping for is some ideas for healings, our bard can't cover all the healing we need during and after a big fight, all potions, items etc of divine nature no longer function. DM has interpreted druidism to be of divine nature for this purpose as well.
Our group has most of the more popular books and our DM allows some third party stuff if it's reasonable.
Any thoughts?
I already pointed out that Wizards can technically learn any arcane spell so they could use Bardic scrolls to give a wizard healing magic, and the fact that nagas and dragons frequently get cleric spells as sorcerers. I also suggested polymorphing into creatures with natural healing powers and becoming undead with fast healing such as vampires and cursts.

Any other ideas that don't hinge on "here's an all new base class?"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Well you can spend like, a pair of feats (retrain some?) to get the level 1 Crusader stance that lets you infinite heal by punching allies.

You can take the Reserve Feat that summons an elemental infinite times, and then get a Vampiric Dagger and stab infinite summoned elementals until everyone is full health.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Poison Healer (from Fiendish Codex I) heals HP equal to your CON bonus every time you succeed at a fortitude save vs. poison.

Turns out? There are a bunch of poisons that don't really do much. Slam a couple of six-packs after every fight, or wear your tiny viper familiar like a prince Albert. Drugs are poisons with upshot. Sleep Smoke, from City of Waterdeep, costs only 25gp a pop, makes a cloud that the whole family can stand in, and, at worst, only puts you to sleep for a few minutes. Whatever.

The actual answer to their problem is still a Wand of Cure Light Wounds, since they have a bard. That's some 101 level shit, right there. Guy doesn't have a problem because there aren't divine spellcasters, guy has a problem 'cause he thinks you use spell slots to recover HP after a fight.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Poison Healer is ridiculously hilarious.

What's a rational cost for a masterwork weapon? I mean, for a repeating heavy crossbow that costs 400gp to begin with, I can maybe see it. For brass fucking knuckles that cost 1 gp, though... that's fucking absurd.

But then, 8 lbs for a repeating heavy crossbow is pretty absurd too...
Last edited by Prak on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
K
King

Post by K »

Minor Creation to make alchemic healing salve or other healing plants.

Transporting to or importing the effects of planes with the positive-dominant trait also works.

Calling a creature with the Vivacious template is pretty easy too. Just stand near it for unlimited healing.

Also a Xag Ya is easy to call and keep leashed for unlimited healing.
Last edited by K on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Prak wrote:But then, 8 lbs for a repeating heavy crossbow is pretty absurd too...
In what way? Seems fairly reasonable since wooden furniture rifles can be similar in weight, especially for something as bulky as a heavy repeating crossbow.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sorry, 8 lbs of gold. But actually like two pounds, because I did my math the wrong direction.

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Prak wrote:Poison Healer is ridiculously hilarious.

What's a rational cost for a masterwork weapon? I mean, for a repeating heavy crossbow that costs 400gp to begin with, I can maybe see it. For brass fucking knuckles that cost 1 gp, though... that's fucking absurd.

But then, 8 lbs for a repeating heavy crossbow is pretty absurd too...
It's probably more absurd that any amount of craftsmanship can make functional brass knuckles more effective than it is that the price on that craftsmanship should be 300x the base case.

Like, I carry a masterwork dagger, and its MSRP is, in fact, 300 currency units more than an ordinary commodity. Does its quality convey a 5% improvement to accuracy? I am not in the habit of knife murder, so I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly certain it does not.

Although it would be my preference to get rid of masterworking entirely (because that's what magic items already are), you could also affix its price to whatever you determine is the threshold between the cabbage and gold economies, such that a player ends up choosing specific masterwork items and anything that isn't at least as costly as master-working itself is just an inferior good to which they are entitled without any expenditure at all.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Can you chain cast project image to extend your spell reach even farther and around all sorts of corners?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Eikre wrote: It's probably more absurd that any amount of craftsmanship can make functional brass knuckles more effective than it is that the price on that craftsmanship should be 300x the base case.

Like, I carry a masterwork dagger, and its MSRP is, in fact, 300 currency units more than an ordinary commodity. Does its quality convey a 5% improvement to accuracy? I am not in the habit of knife murder, so I can't say for certain, but I'm fairly certain it does not.

Although it would be my preference to get rid of masterworking entirely (because that's what magic items already are), you could also affix its price to whatever you determine is the threshold between the cabbage and gold economies, such that a player ends up choosing specific masterwork items and anything that isn't at least as costly as master-working itself is just an inferior good to which they are entitled without any expenditure at all.
A +1 is a very small difference. I could buy a really well made fancy dagger having a small edge in how it handles, for someone who fights with fancy daggers (people who aren't Inigo Montoya don't really notice if their sword is ideally made, but when the masterwork bonus is only +1 it's pointless to also make it conditional).

Masterwork knuckles are hard to imagine, since knuckles mostly associated with level 1 thug kind of characters, or situations when for when no other weapon is available. Over-the-top cartoony fantasy characters could use whatever of course, but they would then have over-the-top fantasy weapons whose function is related more to the character than what kind of weapon they nominally are.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

To be fair, they want brass knuckles like this-

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Which is sad, because we should want knuckles like these:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Anyone familiar with the Kobold Guide to Game Design books? I'm specifically interested in the Worldbuilding one, and was wondering if they were worth readin.

Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

virgil wrote:Can you chain cast project image to extend your spell reach even farther and around all sorts of corners?
Yes, that's sort of the point:
http://dndtools.pw/spells/players-handb ... age--2693/

'can originate from the projected image instead of from you' - so LoE, etc, are drawn from the image.

Arc node, ho!
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

This line would suggest you couldn't maintain them around corners, as you (the spellcaster) must maintain line of effect to the target at all times.
You must maintain line of effect to the projected image at all times. If your line of effect is obstructed, the spell ends. If you use dimension door, teleport, plane shift, or a similar spell that breaks your line of effect, even momentarily, the spell ends.
Then again, that's open to interpretation.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

When I say chain cast, I mean cast project image at one point that's still in LoS but able to look around a corner. Then from the PoV of that image, cast another project image past that corner. The second image has LoS to the first image, but not the original caster.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Ah, apologies - didn't spot that part of your plan. I'm pretty sure 'no' is the answer, because of the line about needing LoE to the image, as Relentless says. You might be able to argue the case that as the spell is originating from the image, the 'you' implies the point of origin, but I don't think that's a hugely persuasive case, tbth..
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

My necro made an amulet with Fast Heal 1 (see Infernal Healing) and our party has a Vitalist that can redistribute said healing accordingly.

...I really need to upgrade that amulet, it's long obsolete at lvl 18.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Why is etherealness a 9th level spell? Crossing dimensions is available by 9th level for clerics.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think a lot of spells got a tax put on them back in the AD&D days for just straightforwardly obviating chunks of the dungeon. Plane Shift at least has that margin of error in miles thing going on. Passwall and Glassee seem to also have been subject to the tax.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

virgil wrote:Why is etherealness a 9th level spell? Crossing dimensions is available by 9th level for clerics.
Why is polar ray an eighth level spell? Srzly, that shit doesn't even have the effect of a cantrip at first level, at the level it comes into play.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

To be fair, Ray of Frost does half as much damage at first level. So Polar Ray is better than a cantrip.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

virgil wrote:To be fair, Ray of Frost does half as much damage at first level. So Polar Ray is better than a cantrip.
Yeah, but... 1d3 damage. Who gives a shit. You could drop Polar Ray down to a cantrip and nobody would care. It might actually see use in a game that isn't NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I could see a system where pretty much every spell that is purely damage is first to third level, because the damage is always (CL)D(X) anyway. Maybe even cantrips with a die step down for that.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Polar Ray was bizarrely split from the more versatile 3rd edition spell of Otiluke's Freezing Sphere. No one knows why it was made 8th level, or why anyone thought Otiluke's Freezing Sphere was too versatile.

-Username17