Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'm pretty sure you can still do offensive comedy by not giving a fuck. Whining that someone won't let you is the opposite of not giving a fuck.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The problem with Seinfeld is that he feels the only way he can be funny is by punching down. He certainly can get up on a stage and do that, but fewer and fewer people are finding that shit funny. So he whines about it, and blames us for being pussies because he's just not fucking funny. I suppose it's better than Michael Richard's harassment of his coworkers and using racist epithets against hecklers, but that's a low bar.
Last edited by Prak on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Prak. You're on the goddamn gaming Den, the /b/ or /pol/ of RPG boards. This is the place where people go for the throat with hostility, shit talk, and troll other gaming forums about how [some variation on "we're brilliant and everyone else who plays TTRPGs is a moron"]. This place is happier than a pig in shit when it comes to offending others and using vulgarities, but Seinfeld is beyond the pale?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Kaelik wrote:
MGuy wrote:You hate him why exactly? I'm pretty sure he still does comedy even with the recent resurgence of PC culture.
He still does the comedy, he just also spends all his time complaining about how meany PC people are not letting him do comedy.

It's like being annoyed by a football player spending all his time on TV whining about how the game is shit now that he can't give people concussions.

It doesn't matter how good he is at his job, he talks all the time about it in a way that makes it clear he is a terrible person and he is totally wrong about objectively, what is going on in his profession.
That's news to me. I've only seen like one article that talked about how he doesn't want to go to college campuses anymore. I didn't know he was spending a lot of time complaining about not being able to work while still working.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Meikle641 wrote:Prak. You're on the goddamn gaming Den, the /b/ or /pol/ of RPG boards. This is the place where people go for the throat with hostility, shit talk, and troll other gaming forums about how [some variation on "we're brilliant and everyone else who plays TTRPGs is a moron"]. This place is happier than a pig in shit when it comes to offending others and using vulgarities, but Seinfeld is beyond the pale?
Does Seinfeld only attack individuals in his comedy, or does he every generalize against groups?

Gaming-related attacks here tend to either be insults at individual designers or harsh, fact-based analysis of systems (and by extension, supporters of those systems).

I've never really listened to Seinfeld on stage, so I don't know, but I have a feeling you're equivocating somewhat, here.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

MGuy wrote:That's news to me. I've only seen like one article that talked about how he doesn't want to go to college campuses anymore. I didn't know he was spending a lot of time complaining about not being able to work while still working.
I've only seen him on talk shows recently, and every single talk show he goes on, the entire thing he does is just whine about PC preventing him from doing comedy. But he insists he doesn't need pre-interviews, because he's established so he knows what he's doing (not recognizing that the pre-interview is an attempt to figure out how to trick him into not whining about PC).

He also apparently calls into radio shows and complains about it too, and it is probably on his own material, but fuck if I'm going to waste my time watching it.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Meikle641 wrote:This place is happier than a pig in shit when it comes to offending others and using vulgarities, but Seinfeld is beyond the pale?
There's vulgarity and then there's stupid whining. The manner in which Seinfeld conducts his anti-PC crusade is fine for riling up other people who already agree with him but is tremendously ineffective for convincing anyone else. He's basically being a big whiny baby about hypothetical jokes and since he's presumably too afraid of tumblr to actually tell these hypothetical jokes his critics are free to imagine that these jokes are some combination of stupid, indefensible or just plain lame. I don't hate Jerry or necessarily even suspect his comedy would be beyond the pale but I do think he sounds like a chickenshit sometimes.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Seinfeld's concern baffles me. He has some of the most inoffensive, milquetoast comedy ever written. Lynch mobs aren't known for having rational, predictable targets (that's basically the entire reason they're frowned upon), but the number of people they do not target is still rather a lot larger than the number of people they do target, so it's weird that Seinfeld is at all worried about them, let alone the monomaniacal worry he's been expressing.
Last edited by Chamomile on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

He made a gay french king joke, and some people told him his joke sucked on twitter or something.

He seems to be the kind of person who vastly overreacts to all stimuli. I mean, he did basically drop out of comedy entirely for several years when his show ended. Seems like he just overreacts to everything.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And now he drives around with other comedians drinking coffee and doing the comedic equivalent of mutual masturbation for his performance.

Wait, that makes it sound better than it is.
Whipstitch wrote:
Meikle641 wrote:This place is happier than a pig in shit when it comes to offending others and using vulgarities, but Seinfeld is beyond the pale?
There's vulgarity and then there's stupid whining. The manner in which Seinfeld conducts his anti-PC crusade is fine for riling up other people who already agree with him but is tremendously ineffective for convincing anyone else. He's basically being a big whiny baby about hypothetical jokes and since he's presumably too afraid of tumblr to actually tell these hypothetical jokes his critics are free to imagine that these jokes are some combination of stupid, indefensible or just plain lame. I don't hate Jerry or necessarily even suspect his comedy would be beyond the pale but I do think he sounds like a chickenshit sometimes.
There's also a difference between invective and sexist/homophobic stereotypes. If a white comedian were complaining about how the PC police won't let him make jokes about black people being criminals and liking grape kool aid anymore, we'd savage the fuck out of them.

edit: it's also a question of audience, I guess. If I've sat down to watch The Aristocrats, then I've signed on for an hour an a half of offensive jokes (though I do expect them to be creatively offensive). But If I'm at my college commencement speech, and some chucklefuck got Jerry Seinfeld to be the speaker, at no point did I sign on to have my gender, sexuality and identity ridiculed by a hack comedian.

Note: just watch the individual tellings of the The Aristocrats. The documentary is more comedic self-congratulatory circlejerking.
Last edited by Prak on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Having been to a comedy club fairly recently, I can tell you that profane and offensive material is alive and well in the stand-up world. Unless Seinfeld's material is more 'being a prejudiced asshole' than 'being funny,' I have no idea what disapproval he could be facing. I think it's more likely he's run out of creativity and is just claiming to have new jokes he would tell if it weren't for the PC police. Because even if he was presenting his situation accurately, he'd still be confessing an astounding lack of creativity.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Seinfeld was stale when his show was on the air. I'd seriously see shows making fun of his "what's the deal with [mundane thing]" observational comedy style while his show was doing new episodes.

Also, relevant
Last edited by Prak on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Meikle641 wrote:Prak. You're on the goddamn gaming Den, the /b/ or /pol/ of RPG boards.
lol no. This board is a hugbox with unwarranted self-importance and dwindling membership. Basically we're a less moderated version of Nifty circa 2005.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Meikle wrote:You're on the goddamn gaming Den, the /b/ or /pol/ of RPG boards
The hell? /pol/'s distinguishing characteristic is not that they are mean and they use meanie-pants words. Their distinguishing characteristic is that they are primarily a bunch of horrifying fascists who believe there is a coming race war between white people and... everyone else. And also that homosexuality and transexuality are part of some nefarious (Jewish) conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids or whatever the fuck. And also "women I'm not telling you to get back in the kitchen, but could you at least stop whining when I tell you to get back in the kitchen (now get back in the kitchen). Man, it sure is a shame that when I say all these things I believe in public everyone treats me like a sociopath. Fucking PC police, am I right?" Meanwhile... we talk shit about entertainment products we think suck. It's a weird fucking comparison.

And I don't think anyone is complaining about Jerry Seinfeld's use of vulgarity. It's just that 99% of the time someone whines about the PC police, they are actually just a stupid asshole who doesn't understand why they shouldn't say racist shit. And I don't really believe Seinfeld is an exception, given there are a bunch of people who still make vulgar material dealing with race and sex and don't really get shit for it. Schumer's football-rape sketch went kind-of-sort-of viral among the demographic we're talking about (those damn PC college kids), and "stupid shit rapists think justify rape" is a routine Carlin was doing before any of those kids were even alive.
Prak wrote:Also, relevant
I don't entirely agree with that guy.
Anthony Berteaux wrote:We need to talk about the role that provocative comedy holds today in a progressive world.

It isn’t so much that college students are too politically correct (whatever your definition of that concept is), it’s that comedy in our progressive society today can no longer afford to be crass, or provocative for the sake of being offensive. Sexist humor and racist humor can no longer exist in comedy because these concepts are based on archaic ideals that have perpetrated injustice against minorities in the past.
No, fuck that noise. We do not need to talk about the role provocative comedy has today. The role is exactly the same as it's always been - to be funny and to entertain. If you want to use entertainment as a medium to do commentary about social issues, you can do that. Not only can you do that, but you'll be in the company of some of the greatest comedians of all time. But that is not the role of comedy, and if you want to do a bunch of irreverent bullshit you can just do that and it doesn't make you a terrible person or a shitty comedian. Entertainers don't owe you the privilege of championing on behalf of the causes you support.

There is a line you can cross as an entertainer, and it's the same line everyone else is expected to respect - you should not advocate or promote abhorrent things (like racism, sexism, or rape). Berteaux's implying a dichotomy between condemnation and promotion, and it's exactly those sort of mindless reactionary dichotomies that lead people to blame school shootings on violent videogames. There are absolutely jokes that are "over the line," but just because the punchline of the joke isn't "and rape is bad" doesn't automatically mean it's one of them."
Last edited by DSMatticus on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote: lol no. This board is a hugbox with unwarranted self-importance
Dude, thinking we're better than you is just good sense.
bears fall, everyone dies
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

This is it folks. End of the line.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

When your tzimisce has a high humanity.

Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I kind of want to see OSSRs from Mabel Pines' POV now...

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i don't get it ._.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.