Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Right, but by definition all Breaching Shot mechs are also Multilock mechs. Ideally you roll with at least 2 pretty threatening weapon systems so that you can spread the love around or hammer mechs that have left cover as needed. You fire individual weapons against Guarded targets for heat/ammo management reasons--why heat up two PPCs when you can heat up one with Breaching Shot?--but rarely would you voluntarily pack only a single gun at all.

Lemme put it this way: I really only objected to the single PPC SHKs to point out that it's not as relatively attractive an option in the HBS game as it is in tabletop. In tabletop there's less viable alternatives to the PPC and it's generally easier to abuse long range weaponry if need be. In that environment it's shockingly common for various stock mechs to have one gun you give a shit about and a bunch of other cruft you would gladly trade in for more armor and heat sinks if given the opportunity, so in CBT I totally understand why Stahl would rather ride around in an off-brand Griffin than figure out how the fuck that random LRM5 is supposed to be anything but a torso bomb. Whereas in the HBS game you have a wider selection of decent weapons at different tonnages and there's enough overlap in range brackets that ostensibly disparate weapon systems tend to combo together reasonably well instead of just making you look like some kind of idiot.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat May 26, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Whipstitch wrote:Right, but by definition all Breaching Shot mechs are also Multilock mechs. Ideally you roll with at least 2 pretty threatening weapon systems so that you can spread the love around or hammer mechs that have left cover as needed. You fire individual weapons against Guarded targets for heat/ammo management reasons--why heat up two PPCs when you can heat up one with Breaching Shot?--but rarely would you voluntarily pack only a single gun at all.
Every world I'm currently running in seems to be a desert or martian world, so heat is an issue for me. Less so now that some of my mechwarriors have high enough guts to ignore heat issues that don't result in shutdowns, but still a bit of a problem. I still have some insane idea from when I was young that PPCs are the best weapon because they have better range, which is probably part of the problem. I know MLs are generally the way to go for damage/ton or heat, but I keep putting PPCs in.
Whipstitch wrote:...instead of just making you look like some kind of idiot.
I have never needed a game for that, but I am willing to accept their assistance.

Also, I just ran a mission with maximum salvage. 1 mech that I cored when I tried to knock it down (low armor, tore off the side, then the center), and 3 tanks. I got all of the salvage (1/3 of a mech, 2 weapons, a few heat sinks) and less money than it took to repair my mechs, and the contact left laughing. I've also done fairly well in a few matches that way (most recently getting 7 mech parts, finishing 3 mechs at once).

For a fairly simple and repetitive game, it's pretty entertaining.

I also just picked up Borderlands 2 on the cheap, and hopefully I can say the same about that. It does have pointlessly fiddly bonuses (+0.7% damage, out of 14 damage) I can collect from doing too much exploring or doing weird things repeatedly, so that's...more of a plus than it sounds like. There may be several things wrong with my brain.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Re: Borderlands 2:
that +0.7% damage will make a lot more of a difference when you start doing thousand+ damage shots. Or million+. Which are things that happen with startling speed in BL2. The game has exponential scaling, and shit ramps up remarkably quickly. GLHF.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/30/fallout-76-announced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ye84Zrqndo

So, can they do it again?
Keep it secret untill shortly before E³ and then release it after they have done their stint there?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/30/fallout-76-announced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ye84Zrqndo

So, can they do it again?
Keep it secret untill shortly before E³ and then release it after they have done their stint there?
I'd put better odds on them hiding their game until E3 than them making a game they'd want to admit to making. At least it will make a lot of money.

2 was nearly as good as 1, tactics was missing some of the moral grey areas but was pretty good, 3 was only okay, 3.5/NV had a story nobody really wants to interact with, enemies you aren't afraid of, and loot you don't care about because the enemies don't matter, and 4 was all of the bad parts of NV made worse.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, but you could not do something like F1 or F2 today.
Waayy too offensive and way not 3D enough. Even if games like X-Com2 are good.
Tactics had a weaker story and tone overall, but was technically so far superior to most games like that even today. Stand, Crouch, Kneel, Crawl/go prone, drive vehicles. Real time and turn based.
3 was . . a game nobody really wanted at that point. And too bug ridden.
I accidentally skipped most of the game when i wandered over to the super mutant base vault <.<

NV was the closest to a real successor to F2 though, with the factions system.
And some of the DLCs were fun and had some good story to it as well.

F4 was . . more of F3 really, nothing people really wanted at the time.
And then they added the stupid base building mini game and the smartphone app and eugh <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Ehhh I refuse to acknowledge The Elder Scrolls D.C/Vegas/Boston as Fallout games. Teaser doesn't show much, but I suspect it will be more of the same.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yep, appearantly, Fallout 76 is going to be an online survival game like minecraftor rust with some quests and a story and base building . .
Such a shame, because it instantly means i could not give a crap even if paid to play it . .

edit:
or maybe not?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu May 31, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Eh, the only reason I play Bethesda games is for the mods really. I'll withhold judgement until release when people can actually play the game, but being able to mod the game is a very attractive feature for me.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Oh yes, mods are always a nice thing to have . .
I still do not understand why the battletech game did not get steam workshop integration <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:I still do not understand why the battletech game did not get steam workshop integration <.<
They've said the modding tools set them back in time and money (salaries) on Shadowrun, so they were allowing but not putting any work into modding. I haven't worked with Steam, but I can imagine they've got a lot of hoops to jump through for the Workshop like they do anything else.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, i see, thank you.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire's story is a giant dumpster fire.
If you did literally nothing and just sat in the first tavern and drank beer for five months... Nothing would change. You absolutely can not, by any means, stop Eothas. He is an indestructible giant adra golem who shrugs off combined assault of five other gods and will not be swayed by your rhetoric.

This is just insulting. Pillars of Eternity 1 did something like this, where grand conflict (Hollowborn Plague) would have been resolved either way and you in fact have the option of just finishing Thaos' work, but your motivation in that game was to find Thaos and beat the answers out of him. Stopping his evil plan was just something that happened to align with your goal coincidentally. In Pillars of Eternity 2 your entire journey is fucking pointless and that cat ending fucking lies - it doesn't matter if Berath finds a competent Watcher to do your job because you fucking fail anyway.

What is even more insulting is the giant steaming dump PoE 2 takes on the lore. The Wheel of reincarnation was explicitly the only thing Thaos specifically said that Engwithans did not build. "We found nothing, only the Wheel grinding our souls to dust" - his exact words. And yet in this game the Wheel is a goddamn Engwithan machine that Eothas breaks to stop people from reincarnating, creating some serious Mass Effect 3 ending shit in the process. What's going to happen without reincarnation? Are people just not going to be born now? PoE 2 can't be arsed to explain.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Have the guys who made those fun choose your own adventure books in the 20th century worked on story for sandbox games?
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Longes wrote:Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire's story is a giant dumpster fire.
Even ignoring the spoilers, I'm kind of irked that the game presents such an urgent main quest and at the same time is a huge sandbox where time doesn't pass until you decide to move the plot forward by going to certain key locations.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

nockermensch wrote:
Longes wrote:Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire's story is a giant dumpster fire.
Even ignoring the spoilers, I'm kind of irked that the game presents such an urgent main quest and at the same time is a huge sandbox where time doesn't pass until you decide to move the plot forward by going to certain key locations.
But isn't that something common to basically every RPG ever? "The world is in extreme danger, only you can save it! But by all means take the time to go do some sidequests and grind up or just fool around."
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Wasn't there a timer in the first Fallout? Or is that missremembering and wishful thinking...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Korwin wrote:Wasn't there a timer in the first Fallout? Or is that missremembering and wishful thinking...
There was a timer, you had to find a solution for your vault's water chip problem. It started with 150 in game days, but you can extend the time a bit by talking to the water merchants and getting them to send water. Once you solved that problem there really isn't one. There is one, but you have to try really hard to reach it.

From the wiki:
If the Vault Dweller does not return to the Vault with the Water Chip before the Vault's water reserves run out, the player loses the game. In earlier versions of the game, if the Vault Dweller did not destroy the military base and the Master before 500 days passed, the mutants found Vault 13 and invaded it, resulting in an automatic loss. This time limit is shortened to 400 days if the Vault Dweller hires water caravans from the Hub, as the caravans traveling to the Vault allow the Super Mutant scouts to find more easily. The 1.1 patch, and subsequent re-releases of the game, extend this time limit to 13 years, effectively giving the player enough time to do as they wish. There is also an optional alternate ending triggered if the Vault Dweller has a negative reputation or the "Bloody Mess" trait, where after the Overseer exiles him, the player character shoots and kills him. At various points of the game, the Vault Dweller also has the choice to join the Super Mutants, which results in a small video showing the Super Mutants rampaging through the Vault and ending the game.
Last edited by Leress on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Korwin wrote:Wasn't there a timer in the first Fallout? Or is that missremembering and wishful thinking...
Indeed you had a limited number of in-game days to return with a water chip to your original shelter before they all died of thirst (which could be extended with a sidequest). But later fallouts had no such time limits, so clearly people didn't enjoy it that much. A drop in the water.

Majora's Mask wasn't an rpg per se but had a clock constantly ticking to the end of the world in 3 days time. The interesting bit was that you could go back in time as many time as you wanted, but that also reset most stuff in the world besides your adventuring gear so every quest chain basically had a time limit. And once more, no later Zelda games tried to do anything like that again.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Fallout2 had a time limit as well, for finding the G.E.C.K. if i remember correctly.
You get visions telling you to hurry several times and then it is game over.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, but you could not do something like F1 or F2 today.
Waayy too offensive
Offensive how? I haven't played either, but looking at the TV Tropes pages, I don't see anything about the story that I would consider offensive, or potentially offensive. It's very morally grey, but that doesn't make something offensive in and of itself. Are you talking more about tone? I didn't get much of an idea of the tone of the game from the TV Tropes pages, so I couldn't really say. Though I don't think Gigolo/Sexpert/Virgin of the Wastes reps are really going to ruffle many feathers, and the fuckable npcs thing is a thing that has been very successful of late.
And then they added the stupid base building mini game and the smartphone app and eugh <.<
Actually, while playing Fallout 3, I kept comparing the system to Skyrim in my mind, and being disappointed where FO3 didn't match Skyrim. Fallout 4 was exactly the Fallout game I wanted*, including the base construction (though if you mean, specifically, the thing where you have to go around and build bases for outposts that have joined the minute men, I agree, I could do without bullshit busy work like that)

*well, ok, better story and more to do and not so much fellatio of colonial America would be preferred, but mechanically.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

When Fallout 1 or 2 was new a classmate of me informed me there was a bug in the game where if you kill the dwarf thief everyone will attack you.

I got to that part of the game and then informed him

"those... aren't dwarven thieves, they're human children, you're being attacked because you kill kids"
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

OgreBattle wrote:When Fallout 1 or 2 was new a classmate of me informed me there was a bug in the game where if you kill the dwarf thief everyone will attack you.

I got to that part of the game and then informed him

"those... aren't dwarven thieves, they're human children, you're being attacked because you kill kids"
Didn't they have to patch them out because everyone killed them to solve the "constantly getting robbed" thing? I think the game blames you, even if you innocently pull the pin on a grenade and let them steal it from you.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No, they had to patch them out in the european or at least german version, because you could kill children and that was a big no no no . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: