Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

tussock wrote:3D printers are interesting, when you think about it.

Like, the reason things we buy don't just randomly fail and kill us, is basically years of building regulations around what things have to be made like. Cheap cars used to just fold up and kill everyone inside, for no real reason other than profit.

And maybe you won't 3d print a car for a while yet, but what about an electric iron? A Blender? Toaster? Replacement element for your oven? Maybe not even a shitty plastic pistol you can't scan for is a problem, but maybe a shitty short barrel heavy automatic cannon and shells for it that only fires like 200 rounds before irreversibly jamming, maybe that is.

Like, there's a lot of things aren't really all that complex that are either regulated to be safe or just straight up banned from sale. We don't let people do stupid things like buy blenders that fly apart and kill them.
That's an interesting point, hadn't thought of that.
Stahlseele wrote:And of course, there's toys . .
Imagine the industry impact on things like miniatures and transformers and the such. OMG! LEGO! You could actually design and make your own lego compatible things as well!
GW is worried about that, so are sticking lots of stupid details on their models that are hard to 3D print but making them really ugly.
Stahlseele wrote:And now i wonder if the adult industry has tried to make use of this as of yet? O.o
Well, there was that Japanese artist who scanned her genitals and you can download the 3D printing thing of that, or of a canoe based on it. Cause, modern art.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Thaluikhain wrote:GW is worried about that, so are sticking lots of stupid details on their models that are hard to 3D print but making them really ugly.
Do they think we're not just going to 3D print the old models? I doubt you could find a single person on the planet who would refuse to play with you because you're not using this year's bolters.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I mean... rivet counters exist...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Zaranthan wrote:
Thaluikhain wrote:GW is worried about that, so are sticking lots of stupid details on their models that are hard to 3D print but making them really ugly.
Do they think we're not just going to 3D print the old models? I doubt you could find a single person on the planet who would refuse to play with you because you're not using this year's bolters.
Eh, if you want a Guillimann or Rubric terminator or whatever, have to get the new overly detailed ones. But I still collect metal guard, so not fussed.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I dislike some of the new computer sculpted designs, they do a lot of fiddly hard edged details that wouldn't have been done by hand.

Perry Miniatures 28mm are still hand designed, they don't go overboard on fiddly details but focus on having a pleasant shape:

Compare that to chunky tempestus scions in plate armor:

Those storm troopers would look better with a simpler breast plate, the details don't add anything for me. Even that "V shape" for where it goes into the crotch, would look better as a simple "_" like the perry minis. The Perry foot knights also have those cool elbow guards of armor, I don't know why but even WHF models tend to lack that detail. I might get my hands on some of those perry minis and try converting them to 40k.

Also a lot of factions are blending together in aesthetic too.

Like... Primaris Rievers skull faces are a lot like Eldar reaper skull faces. Custodes pointy helmets without grills are a lot like Eldar pointy helmets without grills. Eldar fitted hard edged muscle plate body armor is the same as inquisitorial ladies and assassins hard edged muscle plate body armor.

Would like to see Imperium of Man go more gothic plate, Eldar go more Bio Booster Guyver.

Enjoying the Admech stuff though, skitarii, sicarius, and all that. Genestealer cult too, they got that moebius space gear style.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

People focusing their animosity on third party voters need to remember there are more people who don’t vote at all. They need to acknowledge and respect that the duopoly we are offered is violent oppression and stop victim blaming people for how they respond while doing nothing to end the abuse.
Not sure how/whether to respond to that...
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hypothetically, what would have happened if Trump had become definitively unable to be president just before the 2016 election? Like, died, fell into a coma, became an incarcerated convict, whatever.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Depends how 'just before.' In general, the party would have to decide on another nominee somehow; but if it was like the day before and there was no time for procedure or even changing the names on the ballots, they'd probably just have run with Pence at the top of the ticket. And I think Pence'd be the favorite if they had to re-nominate anyway, everyone else having already kissed the Trump ring at that point.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Like, if it had happened November 1. So, who would likely have been on the ballot, and how would the vote have hypothetically gone?

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I've voted in an election where the winner was a dead guy. They just hold a re-election.

Everyone knew he was dead, but the other guy was a dick.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Prak wrote:Like, if it had happened November 1. So, who would likely have been on the ballot, and how would the vote have hypothetically gone?
The election would still happen. It would be too late to change the name that appears on the ballot. If the other won, there would be lawsuits that allege the election was unfair, but ignoring those is generally in everyone's best interest so that would be that.

If the person who couldn't be President won, it would probably go to the VP on the ticket and there would be lawsuits about that, but they probably wouldn't go anywhere, either.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Electoral votes are vested in actual individuals who congregate and cast them at the electoral college.

Those people can ostensibly vote how they like. There's laws on the books in certain states that compel them to vote for exactly the candidates that they said they would, but the constitutionality of those laws hasn't been well-reviewed. Still, some of them might vote for a dead guy to be president and a living person to be vice president, and some of them might resolve to vote for that same living person to be president outright. Some of them might follow their heart to some other ends. It would be very important for the RNC to try and popularize a new plan for these guys to rally behind.

Suppose you had a situation where most of them voted to name Pence as president but a notable enough of a minority named Trump that there was no one person who ended up with an absolute majority of electoral votes. In such a circumstance, Article 2 plus the 12th and 20th amendments mandate that the House of Representatives do this bullshit where they split into delegations by state, each delegation having one vote, and cast a ballot using the top-three placers as their candidates. You know, just in case you thought you couldn't get any more hypersodomized by small state fetishism.

But then they have to do the same thing with Vice Presidency and the Senate (but each senator gets their own vote). It's entirely possible under those circumstances that the only "real" candidate left that Senators actually consent to seeing in the line of succession is the veep from the losing ticket. So maybe you end up with Tim Kane.

Of course, losing your fireball candidate would likely depress turnout and it might end up all just being a moot point where not enough people show up to carry water for the Republicans that any of it ended up mattering.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Anyone here plays WFRP's Star Wars? Are you still kicked out of the game for kicking puppies and reaching a "dark side points threshold"?

P.S: Shouldn't this thread be stickied so it doesn't get buried like the one at IMHO?
Last edited by Dogbert on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

FrankTrollman wrote:

Yes, that's us. As characters from Sailor Moon.

More things should be just like that.

-Username17
Which sailor moon character was frank dressed as
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I live in an old apartment in Sacramento, Ca without central AC, just a wall AC unit. It has, of course, averaged 90+ degrees for the last two months, and nearly that for the previous two months. I have a window AC unit in my bedroom, where my PC is, but I've been trying to run it less because last month's power bill was $180.

And now it seems the heat has damaged my PC, judging by how hot the components felt when I opened the case to make sure they were properly seated last night after my computer had been off for several hours.

The complex wants me to remove the AC unit from my window, for fear it will damage the window frame. Given that their shitty apartments have allowed the heat to damage my computer, do I have any legal standing to fight their directive?

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

My guess is, they’ll argue you damaged your PC running it, and it’s not their responsibility to manage that. Not that this was foreseeable on your end, or anything.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Prak wrote: The complex wants me to remove the AC unit from my window, for fear it will damage the window frame. Given that their shitty apartments have allowed the heat to damage my computer, do I have any legal standing to fight their directive?
On what basis are they instructing you to remove it. Are there published rules about requirements? Did you sign anything agreeing to them?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I would need to double check the notice, but they seem to be instructing we remove the AC units on the basis of "Because we say so"

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

There exist portable room ACs that don't go directly in the window. Instead they use blowers and ducts to vent hot air out the window. They're generally louder, more expensive, and less energy efficient. I'd not recommend using one unless the landlord is willing to buy it for you, and even then it's still worse for your needs than a window unit.

The easiest compromise would be to put a foam protector on the window frame. Metal on wood would be potentially damaging, but it's simple enough to rig up something that wouldn't be. Though I'm willing to bet that they wouldn't go for that.

Alternate suggestion: Take a look at the California Residential Code and play a game of "How many violations can I find in my apartment." If they complain about your AC, you complain about all the code violations you see.

http://www.bsc.ca.gov/codes.aspx
Last edited by hyzmarca on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Dunno if you know, but tip for AC is it runs much cheaper at night, you can start the day with a much cooler apartment by running it at a modest temperature through the night. Turn it off before the day heats up, seal everything you can, keep the sun out as much as you can, and turn it back on after the day cools.

For a heat pump in winter, run them through the daytime to a modest heat, turn off and seal up at night, heaps cheaper and feels warmer.

You probably damage the windows more by moving the AC on and off the frame each day, so probably don't do that.

Dry air helps a lot, depends on your environment a bit, but extractor fans are a must, or at least shut the doors and open a window wherever you make steam, and vent the apartment every day before getting into AC again to clear out all the rest of the moisture.

For your computer, they need the fans working to cool off. If you run a game for a while right before power off, the high internal temperatures never get fan cooled, and just take forever to radiate. Shouldn't hurt though, if it's not hard crashing. Mine takes about ten minutes to cool after a game shuts.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I downloaded a heat monitoring program, and found that my computer is running at 140+ degrees. Between that and it crashing multiple times in an hour tonight, I decided to finally deliver that letter to the management. I basically just said "I'm keeping the AC in my window, and if you want to talk about other solutions, I can provide you costs for the repair and better cooling"-
The Letter wrote:To management of the Olive Court Apartments,

I am writing in regards to your directive to remove the AC units from our windows. I understand that you are concerned about potential damage to the window frames, however, my computer has suffered actual damage due to the heat of the day which is allowed into our apartment by insufficient insulation.

This is in addition to damage to my computer suffered due to subpar and obsolete power breakers causing surges in our apartment in July, which I have already repaired.

In short, I have an $800, custom and personally built,computer in my bedroom, which has been damaged by apartment conditions twice now. My renter’s insurance has already accepted a claim for the first instance of damage, but even if they would accept another claim so soon, this would not affect the ongoing heat conditions of our apartment.

Therefore, the short term, I will be keeping my AC in the window. If you wish to discuss other solutions, I would be happy to talk, and will investigate repair and cooling option prices so that I can provide those at that time.

Sincerely,
(name)
(apartment)

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

When anyone orders an orange soda here, the reply is invariably "will Orange Fanta work?" or "No, but we have Orange Fanta." Orange Fanta is a brand of orange soda, "soda" is not a brand, and is the only orange soda they have. Is this some elaborate joke I'm not aware of, or a brain disease particular to the region I'm currently living in?
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

On the one hand, it's redundant, on the other, it's worth specifying. If you drink orange soda, you might care about whether it has caffeine or not. Fanta does not; Sunkist does. If you're expecting a caffeinated soda, the extra question doesn't hurt. Further, clarifying the order is often taken as a sign of good service - asking a question you THINK you know the answer to seldom hurts.

If the answer to the question is invariably, 'Fanta is what I wanted, idiot' or something like that, then asking the question is probably a bad idea. But if you get answers like, 'In that case I'll have a...' then maybe there's an unspoken assumption about what constitutes 'real' orange soda and you should join them.
-This space intentionally left blank
erik
King

Post by erik »

They could be being sensitive to Fanta's Nazi history. Or maybe liking Fanta is code for being racist. Probly not the latter.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

"Fanta's Nazi history"??
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee