[3.P1] Monster Design Advice

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

[3.P1] Monster Design Advice

Post by virgil »

I'm intending this to be a CR 10, but I don't know if I got the numbers right for that. In addition, I'm not sold on the name, but I'm having difficulty coming up with a good one.
Some of the first struck down by the marut were dark sorcerers from an age where magic was still new to mortals. Their souls and their magic clung to the mortal realms and festered. After untold ages, they have grown strong enough to walk the earth once more. While their minds and their names are forever lost, the will to live remains, and they seek sacrifice.

Culler
Medium undead (Evil, Unliving)
Init
+6; Senses DV 60', Perception +10; Spd 30'
hp 95 (10d8+50); AC 24 (+3 Dex, +11 nat); SV +7/+8/+9; DR 10/-; Vulnerable positive energy
Melee 2 Slams +17 (1d4+13 plus grave wound)
Str 31, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 22; BAB +7; CMB +17; CMD 30
Feats Improved Initiative, Toughness, Deflect Arrows, Lightning Reflexes, Combat Reflexes
Skills Climb +15, Intimidate +13, Perception +10, Stealth +14
Description The skull of some woodland animal for a head and its otherwise human body covered in mangy fur, usually concealed by a robe.
  • Grave Wound (Su) Damage dealt by the Culler's unarmed melee attacks inflict persistent wounds that cause 2 points of bleed damage. Bleed caused from a grave wound is particularly difficult to staunch - a DC 20 Heal check stops the damage, and any attempt to heal a creature suffering from a grave wound must succeed on a DC 20 caster level check or the spell does not function. Success indicates the healing works normally and stops all bleed effects on the victim. Any creature that dies while suffering from a bleed effect from a grave wound rises in 1d4 rounds as a zombie.
    Sacrificial Vigor (Su) Whenever a Culler kills a living humanoid creature, it gains 1d4 points of Constitution. These points are lost at the rate of 1 per hour.
    Entralling Psalm (Su) As a standard action, a Culler can begin singing a wordless melody, spending a swift action each round to maintain the song. All creatures within a 300' spread must make a Will save (DC 21) or become entralled. A successful save renders the creature immune to this ability for 24 hours. While enthralled, the creature approaches the Culler in the most direct means available. If the route would take them into direct danger, such as over a cliff, then the creature is permitted a second save to break out of the enthrall effect. If multiple creatures are enthralled at once, they organize themselves in adjacent squares so as to maximize proximity to the Culler. Once the creature is sufficiently close, they will kneel in supplication and take no other actions other than to defend itself. An enthralled creature within 5' of the Culler offers no resistance to its attacks, counting as helpless. This effect lasts for as long as the Culler sings and for 1 round afterward. This is a Charisma-based, mind-affecting fear effect.
    Death Curse (Su) When destroyed, all creatures in a 120’ spread must make a Will save (DC 21) or be afflicted with mummy rot with the same DC. Any creature that dies while afflicted will spawn a dread wraith (giant advanced wraith). This is a Charisma-based ability.

As a reminder, this is the Unliving subtype from the Tome of Necromancy.
Unliving (subtype) An Unliving creature is an undead that mimics many of the capacities of a living creature without truly being alive. An unliving creature has the following game effects:
[*] Unliving creatures have a metabolism of sorts, and thus have a Constitution score, their Fortitude save and hit points being based on such rather than Charisma like regular undead
[*] Unliving creatures require food (often blood or flesh) and sleep, and are vulnerable to magical sleep effects even if they are otherwise immune to mind affecting effects.
[*] Unliving creatures have at least one vital organ, and are subject to critical hits from attackers with at least one rank in Knowledge (Religion).
[*] Not destroyed upon reaching 0 it points, though its existence still ends if it reaches -10 as normal.
[*] Subject to subdual damage, but can benefit from the Regeneration ability as normal.
Last edited by virgil on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

If you give it a natural weapon, you don't need to give it Improved Unarmed Strike. There's no reason it shouldn't just have an attack that deals normal damage. Compared to a Bebilith (CR 10 Demon) it has only 2/3 the hit point total - I expect it the culler to go down more easily than you expect.

The enthrall effect has a significant chance to take out your entire party. Let's just say that everyone is single class with a good Will save (+7), a decent ability (+4) and a save enhancing item (+3). At +14 against DC 21, so they all need a 7 or better. Put another way, each has a 30% chance of rolling 1-6. With that being the case, approximately 1 time in 100 the whole party will fail their initial save, subjugate themselves, and die. If the save bonuses are lower, the chance of a TPK increases. To determine the odds of a TPK from that ability, calculate the chance of each player failing, then multiply it by the chance of each other player's chance of failure (ie, I did .30 x .30 x .30 x .30). Enthrall isn't hard to disrupt, so if the party doesn't all fail, I expect them to wipe the floor with him pretty easily.

I think I'd reduce the Strength, increase the base damage, add a paralysis effect, bump hit points, adjust the feats and call it a day. Unless this is going to be a major part of your game in the future, in which case I'd probably try to tie it more thematically to their origin. With the hymn I'm feeling more 'bard' than 'wizard'.

Along those lines, you could go with Dirge Singer. Or Dirge Walker. Or Fell Dirge.
-This space intentionally left blank
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

The hit points look like they'll be a bit variable. Is it expected to start with a couple of families of peasants under its belt, or as given? What if the party arrives 10 minutes too late to save the village? Or even a day too late, 24 off a couple hundred bonus Con is still a big bonus.

Edit: it might be an idea to limit the bonus Con in some way, perhaps it can't more than double its Con this way.
Last edited by Orca on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Death Curse creating Dread Wraiths is a problem. If it's just the party, they can probably stop anyone from dying, but if they kill it in a town, it's going to infect dozens of people and turn some number of them into monster with a CR 3 higher than the Culler itself.

Its stats are a little low for its level, especially its saves. Here's a google doc with average monster stats by CR.
Last edited by TiaC on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Huh, I was not expecting Pathfinder to double the power of dread wraiths. Perhaps have the curse turn them into regular wraiths, or even simple dread wraiths (CR 7)?

As for the variable HP thing, I kinda figured it would work like a less effective version of spawning, and there's no expectation that there should be a limit on that. Besides, shambling mounds work on the same principle.

Went ahead and upped some of the other stats to boost the saves, adjusted the melee. DeadDM, what do you mean by paralysis?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

virgil wrote: Went ahead and upped some of the other stats to boost the saves, adjusted the melee. DeadDM, what do you mean by paralysis?
If we're aiming for CR 10, it needs something to make the melee attacks a little more intimidating. Since you are making this for your party, there's probably no reason to think about lowering the CR and instead just add a few things to make sure it is credible at CR 10. I meant adding a paralyzing touch a la a Ghast.
PFRD wrote: Creatures damaged by a ghast’s natural attacks must make a successful DC 15 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. Paralyzed creatures cannot move, speak, or take any physical actions. The creature is rooted to the spot, frozen and helpless. Unlike ghouls, a ghast’s paralysis even affects elves.

Unlike hold person and similar effects, a paralysis effect does not allow a new save each round. A winged creature flying in the air at the time that it is paralyzed cannot flap its wings and falls. A swimmer can’t swim and may drown.
Effectively that gives it another way to render creatures helpless in it's threatened area.