It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I moved from Michigan to (very remote) Ontario last August. I had to quit my job, because they weren't able to keep a Canadian permanent resident on they payroll. I've spent the last seven months unemployed while looking for a remote development job.

I finally had a job interview today! It went quite well. This was just one of those "make sure neither one of us is wasting the other's time" kind of meetings with a hiring manager, but they'd like me to have a phone interview with part of the tech team before bringing me into Toronto for an in-person interview. It sounds like we'd both be fine with me spending some time in Toronto for on-boarding, but then I'd be able to move to fully-remote work afterward. They already have several team members both in different parts of Canada as well as in other countries.

So, I'm in a super good mood about this right now! :D
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Good luck! I hope it works out. Any period of unemployment, no matter how good the reason for it, is stressful.
-This space intentionally left blank
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Whelp, looks like I'm homeless again. All the people with hateboners for me get to feel good now.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Whelp, looks like I'm homeless again. All the people with hateboners for me get to feel good now.
I doubt very much that anyone on the Den has a hate boner for you specifically. There are probably some that just have a raging always-on hate boner for whatever the last thing they happened to see (which really deserves a word of its own).

I wish you the best of luck.

You say 'again', so I'm guessing you have a plan? This is temporary homelessness due to a falling out with your partner(s) as opposed to financial distress?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

In this case it's both. I hope my friends will at least let me borrow their showers while I work on getting a better job
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Come to Sacramento, and you can surf my couch for a bit if you annoy my roommate as much as her friends constantly being here annoy me.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

How's the job situation down there? I have a shit job that in no way covers my bills, but it is a form of income.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I have an almost shit job that sorta covers my bills?

Iunno, I run about $200 short every month, and part of that is due to my incidental spending, but also if I can't drop some money on things I actually like/want I'm going to go fucking mad.

On the other hand, I'm starting to look at moving on from my current living situation, because the mismatches of personality between my roommate and I are getting worse (my apartment feels like goddamned Grand Central Station with the frequency that people I don't fucking know, and don't want to know, are coming over. Her fucking boyfriend has been here for three fucking days now.)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Sounds like my presence might make things worse.

EDIT: if nothing else, I can finally say I stood up to my ungrateful, self-victimizing psycho of a mother. If I die on the streets it will be with more pride than I've had in years.

EDIT2: Found a floor to crash on.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Ugh, this fucking brain.... I passed my Prince2 Foundation test today which is honestly not much, but it's something, and I will be passing my Practitioner certification in 3 weeks.

My brain, of course, decided to spend a few hours reminding me that I'm still going to be unemployed and alone and unloved forever - don't get any ideas just because you managed to accomplish something! - To the point of palpable physical discomfort.

Oh fuck you, brain.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Hooray for you! Maybe not your brain, but congrats on the test!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Congrats!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Congrats on the first part, not so much on the second, I know how that feels.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

So... There's a guy at work* who is so religiously uptight about things like Cards Against Humanity that he won't play. He didn't show up to work on Monday. And we found out why: he stalked his rape victim, assaulted everyone in her family, kidnapped the five year old kid that resulted from the rape, and tried to escape to Canada. He's in jail.

Definitely needs a new Jesus.

*This is an online situation, so no one actually works in the physical presence of this dude.
Last edited by Maj on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Okay... so this has been an exhausting three months.

Started with some water infiltrations in the basement in early Jan. Not the catastrophe it could have been since it wasn't a huge flood and we were planning on redoing the basement anyway.

Then our baby got born a month in advance, only to catch a lung infection that put him in the hospital for close to a month now. Fine now, should be coming home in the next few days but still.

Beyond that I landed a new job. Starting next Monday. It's better all-around if only because I figure the municipal court is a lot less likely to go bankrupt than my current employer. Actual benefits, more vacation time and a better salary are just a bonus.

And my girlfriend approved of my plan for the basement renovation which we're going to do earlier than later due to said water damage. Basically I'm going to build myself a combination office / gaming room, and set up the remaining space as a playroom for now (but with two boys? this playroom is getting soundproofed.)

So, yeah, I could use a quiet month or two. :)
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I'm glad to hear things are looking up, and that your child is doing better after that scare.

Are you doing anything to protect against future water damage before going through all of the work of finishing your basement?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Oh, definitely.

We just don't know exactly what we have to do yet. We have a small excavation-and-repair issue that we need to do which will also let us run a camera through the foundation drain. Then we'll decide on what we'll do exactly - we definitely have to do some digging near the windows and and re-grade the yard, but if the drain needs to be redone entirely we might as well have some waterproofing done on the foundation as well.

(and obviously, if we end up redoing all that it'll delay the basement project. I'm planning on doing most of that myself but it's still a few thousands in materials and subcontracting of the skilled trades tasks, which I don't want to put on financing.)

But it's fun to plan. :)
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I've been feeling slightly less well than usual this week, and it's gotten real bad today. 4th day in a row is weird, I'm usually only sick for 2 in a row. I get to go home and carefully check all of the ingredients on anything I've been eating (very simple meals, for good reason) to find out what's trying to kill me.

I didn't read the bag of almonds, so maybe that's got a lactose/lactate-based preservative? That'd be great, I got them because they've got more calcium than the other non-dairy foods I've been eating, and I'm trying to get healthier.

If not them, the bread is mis-labeled.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

My dad passed away today (yesterday?) and I decided to write about my thoughts at 6:00 a.m. while looking for ways to put off sleeping. Spoilered because it's kind of intense, I guess. Don't feel obligated. Just needed to shout into the metaphorical void, get something out of my system.
My dad passed away today. Yesterday, now. I found him. He'd just slumped against a wall underneath the window like he was sleeping. Called out. Shook his arm. He was cold, felt wrong. Knew then.

He didn't like to talk about his health so I didn't really realize how bad the COPD had gotten. Guess he was managing the pain and discomfort by smoking lots and lots of weed instead of lots and lots of cigarettes. Probably not a typical treatment for lung problems. Had a heart attack, difficulty breathing, went to the window for fresh air, didn't work.

I don't know how to process this shit. I don't know how anyone does. Death is horrifying. Can't stop thinking about what his last moments were like. I don't know why. Nothing I could have done. Just torturing myself with questions I'll never be able to answer.

I've got so much shit to take care of tomorrow and I'm afraid to sleep. When my mom passed in highschool, I had 'nightmares' for years. Just these stupid sappy little dreams of normal life, nothing wrong until you wake up and remember. Didn't really affect me at the time, but now it scares the hell out of me.

Feels... lonely. I didn't even talk to my dad that much - more than most almost-30-somethings, I guess. But he was the last family I had. That part of my life is just gone now. My closest relatives are a schizophrenic uncle with dementia and an aunt I barely know because she lives across the country. She's nice. The missus wants her sweet potato recipe. Guess I'll get the chance to ask with all this going on.

I don't know what I'm doing. I'm tired and sad and not the least bit prepared for this in anyway. I think tomorrow I'm gonna go see the body. The image of him slumped there and the way he felt when I touched his arm is burning itself into my brain and I want something else to remember. I was afraid to ask to see him after they'd covered him with the sheet and started rolling him out. So I guess tomorrow I'm gonna ask to see him and... say goodbye. It won't be a happier memory, but it'll be a calmer one.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

When my own father passed, it shook me up quite a bit. Viewing the body helped me a lot, and I hope it works for you as well.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ess died four hours ago. I can’t.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Maj wrote:Ess died four hours ago. I can’t.
Holy crap, I'm so sorry.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I don't have words. I'm so sorry also, for both of you.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

My condolences, Maj.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I'm so sorry.