More Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Cielingcat wrote:I just realized it's been so long since I've played D&D that I actually forget where the rules on general bonus feats are.
Monster Manual p301, I think.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Jerry wrote:I don't think that you're going to convince them. Many D&D designers and groups do not give a rat's ass about game balance, only if the concept looks "kewl" on paper. Not to mention that all but the most rules-intensive of players consistently play-test material. Many gaming groups that I've met don't want to spend hours testing rules inconsistencies; they just want to sit down and play, right out of the box.
I never could understand why they complain when someone points something like that out? It's like getting mad at the minesweeper for checking for mines and warning where the mines are before you send you people through the field.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Leress wrote: I never could understand why they complain when someone points something like that out? It's like getting mad at the minesweeper for checking for mines and warning where the mines are before you send you people through the field.
Say it with me: Sacred Cows
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Jerry wrote:
Leress wrote: I never could understand why they complain when someone points something like that out? It's like getting mad at the minesweeper for checking for mines and warning where the mines are before you send you people through the field.
Say it with me: Sacred Cows
That really doesn't apply to the thread about adding four bloody words to a document to help remove abuse of the rule. Sacred Cows are more on the line of removing certain conventions of the game (Vancian casting, etc)
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Leress wrote:That really doesn't apply to the thread about adding four bloody words to a document to help remove abuse of the rule. Sacred Cows are more on the line of removing certain conventions of the game (Vancian casting, etc)
Sorry, I misinterpreted the conversation. I meant to say that they don't like the idea that it's a big of a problem as squirrelloid makes it out to be.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Yeah, it's somehow soo little of a problem, that actually putting in the four words leads to the game being a legal document of immense size (see the second to last post).
Last edited by virgil on Sun May 25, 2008 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, the rogues-with-feats thing isn't really a problem, more a way of helping to bring them up to speed with the other real classes and fixing existing problems with feats (ie getting perfect TWF and skipping the bullshit requirements when TWF itself should have worked like perfect TWF does).

Oh, and causing hilarity when a rogue picks Gape of the Serpent, Disjunctive Eye and the one that lets you create sandstorms with your wings (that the rogue doesn't happen to have).

I'm still looking for other awesome ones that make no sense, too.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

But to a fanboi the rules are perfect. Fixing them is clearly impossible. Those four words are an assault on their beliefs, hence the insane resistance to changes that won't change how they play the game one bit.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Draco_Argentum wrote:But to a fanboi the rules are perfect. Fixing them is clearly impossible. Those four words are an assault on their beliefs, hence the insane resistance to changes that won't change how they play the game one bit.
I don't really see the point in trying to correct them, right or wrong. If they enjoy the game despite having some imperfections, fine with them. If they don't enjoy it, then they have nobody to blame but themselves (or the rules!).
Last edited by Jerry on Sun May 25, 2008 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

what's REALLY funny is that it has been shown that there is no default assumtion with bonus feats RIGHT THERE IN THE THREAD. the monk says it works one way, the fighter says it works the other, the rouge is silent.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

name_here wrote:what's REALLY funny is that it has been shown that there is no default assumtion with bonus feats RIGHT THERE IN THE THREAD. the monk says it works one way, the fighter says it works the other, the rouge is silent.
Frank has shown how it works, and I used to know, but I've forgotten where in the SRD the full rules are.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Feats

The line gives the creature’s feats. A monster gains feats just as a character does. Sometimes a creature has one or more bonus feats, marked with a superscript B (B). Creatures often do not have the prerequisites for a bonus feat. If this is so, the creature can still use the feat. If you wish to customize the creature with new feats, you can reassign its other feats, but not its bonus feats. A creature cannot have a feat that is not a bonus feat unless it has the feat’s prerequisites.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Thanks.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Koumei wrote:I'm still looking for other awesome ones that make no sense, too.
Ooh, you should totally take the feat that lets you telepathically sense everyone within 100' (like a super blindsense). It's a nice feat to have, but getting telepathy to meet the prerequisite usually requires a level in Mindbender.

Edit: is there an Extra Wild Shape feat somewhere? You might be able to combine that with some of the Epic Wild Shape feats, so that you can turn into, say, Colossal Animals and Dragons (and nothing else).
Last edited by Jacob_Orlove on Sun May 25, 2008 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei wrote:Oh, and causing hilarity when a rogue picks Gape of the Serpent, Disjunctive Eye and the one that lets you create sandstorms with your wings (that the rogue doesn't happen to have).
What the fuck?
Would it look like this:

http://www.bili.org/artist/admirations/avery02.jpg
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Jacob_Orlove wrote:
Koumei wrote:I'm still looking for other awesome ones that make no sense, too.
Ooh, you should totally take the feat that lets you telepathically sense everyone within 100' (like a super blindsense). It's a nice feat to have, but getting telepathy to meet the prerequisite usually requires a level in Mindbender.
Actually, the feat, Mindsight, gives you a blinsense like ability (with a few perks like automatically knowing their type and int score) within the range of your telepathy.

So ignoring the pre-reqs to get the feet would pretty much suck.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

virgileso wrote:http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... FeatOption

Ah, actively arguing against fixing rules.
I gotta say, those guys just piss me off. It's one thing to say that the DM can disallow broken aspects of the game. It's another to say that you don't want to fix a loophole by adding a very simple fix to an ability, simply because the DM can disallow it.

The DM should be the last line of defense, not the first, and should serve to curtain bugs that the designers missed. Not to fix a known bug... well that's just damn stupid.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I wish rule zero wasn't in the DMG or anything. Or that a specific design goal of 3.P was to minimise the need for GM fiat or clarity. Then people would shut up. That would be useful.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Jerry wrote:I don't really see the point in trying to correct them, right or wrong.
They're pissing on attempts to fix problems. Sounds like a reason to me.
Jerry
Knight

Post by Jerry »

Draco_Argentum wrote: They're pissing on attempts to fix problems. Sounds like a reason to me.
So what are you going to do? Force them to accept your help?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Draco_Argentum wrote:
Jerry wrote:I don't really see the point in trying to correct them, right or wrong.
Since the only reason that anyone cares what they have to say about this or any other topic is that they promised to come in and fix problems, isn't this just a reason to walk away in disgust? If they say explicitly that they have no intention of fixing problems after all, then all that means is that the cake is a lie and there's no reason to care about their opinions or statements.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

-Username17
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Sorry, can't resist:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."
- Bush
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Since the only reason that anyone cares what they have to say about this or any other topic is that they promised to come in and fix problems, isn't this just a reason to walk away in disgust? If they say explicitly that they have no intention of fixing problems after all, then all that means is that the cake is a lie and there's no reason to care about their opinions or statements.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

-Username17
To be fair, it's not Paizo employees saying these things (AFAIK; haven't checked thier profiles for aliases). It seems to just be random fanboys posting in a thread Buhlman hasn't replied to.
K
King

Post by K »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote: To be fair, it's not Paizo employees saying these things (AFAIK; haven't checked thier profiles for aliases). It seems to just be random fanboys posting in a thread Buhlman hasn't replied to.
You can't see people's aliases in their profile.

As an additional added note, Jason thinks that he's a 19th level character with an Int of 17.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Where is that from?