Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

RelentlessImp wrote:No mention of Wild ARMs XF? PSP, pretty fun take on the Wild ARMs series.
I didn't mention it because Count hasn't said what system he wants the games for.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Any PC specific rpgs that either have engaging gameplay or story, preferably both? I've played all the old school Baldur gates, neverwinter nights, and stuff along with the newer rehashes like pillars and tyranny. I am not going to go through every rpg I've played but I'm always looking for more that I can sink what little leisure time I have into.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Pretty much any system that isn't too modern will be fine.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Okay

PS3:

Well excluding all the Disgaea ones that Koumei has mentioned:

Natural Doctrine: This game can be dead easy or very difficult depending how much you can exploit the not fully explained system. I personally like it but it rubs most the wrong way. Also it's on the PS4

Valkyria Chronicles: This game is awesome. It has a combination of real time and turn base elements. Scouts are kinda over powered in the game. It provide a very gradual and challenging experience throughout. It also is for PC and PS4.

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment (download only). I don't know how good this one is but from what I hear it is okay at best.
Last edited by Leress on Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Koumei wrote:Gladius is also on one of the Playstations, and it allows you to recruit a bear (named Zod) which is one of the strongest things you'll have for most of the game. That alone makes it great.
Yeah, there's a Heavy>Medium>Light>Heavy loop in the game and that means if you start as Ursula (a Medium) you basically win the entire first zone outright if you hire Zod (a Heavy) because Nordagh teams are generally all Mediums and Lights. And you will hire Zod, because he's a motherfucking bear named Zod.

Valens makes for a tougher start, but on the other hand he lets you start out by hiring an ass ton of Centurions. Centurions are hax because their Combo 2 attack is 100% accurate if you can master their easy quick time event. That's stupid OP because the whole Light>Heavy dynamic is built on the idea that the Lights can dodge Centurions, which they do not.
bears fall, everyone dies
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Mordheim or Bloodbowl video games any good?
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

MGuy wrote:Any PC specific rpgs that either have engaging gameplay or story, preferably both? I've played all the old school Baldur gates, neverwinter nights, and stuff along with the newer rehashes like pillars and tyranny. I am not going to go through every rpg I've played but I'm always looking for more that I can sink what little leisure time I have into.
I really want some of these, too. A lot of "RPGs" these days are either RPGMaker retro clones or have slow Souls-type combat. The only ones I can think of recommending right now aren't PC-specific - Kingdoms of Amalur and the Dragonball Xenoverse games, both of which have solid stories and good mechanics.

If you're into CYOA/VN-style RPGs, I highly recommend Academagia: The Making of Mages, though.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wulfbanes
1st Level

Post by Wulfbanes »

OgreBattle wrote:Mordheim or Bloodbowl video games any good?
Blood Bowl is alright. You can toggle between playing it with the game rules as on dice, or as some live event that is not good.

Mordheim is an outright disappointment. There is no way to play anything like the tabletop game. They took name identity, and made a meaningless combat and leveling system where the attributes and skills don't matter significantly.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

OgreBattle wrote:Mordheim or Bloodbowl video games any good?
I got the mordheim game for free from a friend, have tried to play it a few times, and have never gotten hooked. (For reference, I really like the firaxis nu-xcom games, have no investment in the mordheim tabletop game, and have minimal investment in warhammer in general.)
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

My brother has Mordhiem (and does the steam family share) I've played it a bit and am generally not impressed with it. Better games in that genre out there.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Count, if forgot one for the PS2

Shaman King: power of spirit - This was a combination of SRPG and Fighting game. It was okay.
]
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Koumei wrote:Nippon-Ichi are here to save the day:
-Disgaea 1 (PS2, PSP, Steam, NDS), I rate it good out of 5
-Disgaea 2 (PS2, PSP, Steam), I rate it perfect out of 5
-Phantom Brave (PS2, Steam?), I rate it okay I guess out of orange
-Makai Kingdom (PS2), I rate it Epsilon out of 5
-Disgaea 3 (PS3 and probably Vita?), I rate it excellent out of bread
-Disgaea 4 (PS3 and... Vita? Switch? Maybe PS4 as well?), I rate it excellent out of salmon
-Disgaea DD2 (PS3), I rate it a solid very good
-Disgaea 5 (PS4 and Switch), I haven't played this but it's probably great
-Soul Nomad & the World Eaters (PS2), I give it okay I guess

Suikoden Tactics (PS2) is pretty good too (and not by N1), if I recall correctly.
disgaea 5 may well be the best game in the series yet in terms of gameplay, though it's likely one of the worst in terms of storyline. the characters are mostly pretty derivative - killia is a horribly derivative dark and brooding protagonist, seraphina's gimmicks get boring REAL quick, zeroken is just completely annoying and his plot schtick is really lame shounen junk, christo is forgettable (which sucks considering who he turns out to be in the end...). the only remotely likable main characters imo are red magnus, who's at least kinda funny, and usalia, who's legitimately a good and well-designed character.

YMMV obviously (i liked phantom brave more than you did apparently! and yes it's on steam) but yeah. the gameplay is really well-developed and there is A LOT to do.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

+1 to what Sunwitch.
]
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sunwitch wrote:i liked phantom brave more than you did apparently!
It does have a lot of things I like, but also a lot of things that were annoying. I found it worked best on an emulator because you could cheese the grind-dungeons with save states if you didn't just want to gain masses of XP and Mana in the traditional Titlist Rabbit Explosion Method.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Sunwitch wrote: disgaea 5 may well be the best game in the series yet in terms of gameplay, though it's likely one of the worst in terms of storyline.
I think you can make the claim more generically that each game is better in terms of gameplay than those that came before, and worse in terms of storyline.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Koumei wrote:
Sunwitch wrote:i liked phantom brave more than you did apparently!
It does have a lot of things I like, but also a lot of things that were annoying. I found it worked best on an emulator because you could cheese the grind-dungeons with save states if you didn't just want to gain masses of XP and Mana in the traditional Titlist Rabbit Explosion Method.
I mostly just did failure dungeons for leveling D:
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Iduno wrote:
Sunwitch wrote: disgaea 5 may well be the best game in the series yet in terms of gameplay, though it's likely one of the worst in terms of storyline.
I think you can make the claim more generically that each game is better in terms of gameplay than those that came before, and worse in terms of storyline.
I think that Disgaea 4 had the best story and characters of the series.
]
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Disgaea 2 actually gets my vote for the best characters and story.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It's 2 vs 4 to me. I lean 4. I like anti-climax.
bears fall, everyone dies
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Iduno wrote:
Fallout 2 though . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:
Iduno wrote:
Fallout 2 though . .
I meant for the Disgaea series.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, my bad then.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

This is hardly news, but... I fucking hate Nintendo. Smash the fuckers, wipe them up, shove them off the face of the earth. MASH THE DIRTY RED SCUM, KICK 'EM IN THE TEETH WHERE IT HURTS! KILL! KILL! KILL! THE FILTHY COMMUNIST BASTARDS, I HATE 'EM! I HATE 'EM! AAARGH! AAARGH!

I got a new Switch. I did not have my previous one. I couldn't do a data transfer, so I had to rely on the cloud backup nonsense. But Shia-surprise! the cloud backup doesn't apply to every game! I lost the saves and progress of over half my fucking games! All gone. Just... fuck Nintendo.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Why didn't you have your previous one?
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

It died. It was run over by a vintage Bentley (truly). Can you believe that that isn't covered by Nintendo's warranty?! Asshats. Had to buy a whole new system.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee