[Kickstarter] Reaper Miniatures - Bones 5

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

[Kickstarter] Reaper Miniatures - Bones 5

Post by deaddmwalking »

I thought there was a KS Shilling thread, but I looked and I could not find it.

Reaper Minis Bones 5 launched today.

I've participated in the four prior Bones Kick Starters. I feel like I get a really good value in terms of miniatures - maybe TOO GOOD - since I haven't been painting them. Still, I'm in on this one, too.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

I've participated in Bones 2-4, but 5 is leaving me feeling meh. There's a few things that look neat, but the Core set just seems to be filling up with junk.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

violence in the media wrote:I've participated in Bones 2-4, but 5 is leaving me feeling meh. There's a few things that look neat, but the Core set just seems to be filling up with junk.
I'm with you. I've cancelled my initial pledge; I'll wait a week to decide whether to pledge again. I may end up pledging for less than a Core Set - I like some of the 'add ons'.

The Yokai are cool (+$12), but not sure I'd use them
The Fire Giant Hellbringer (+$8) looks cool and seems like a relatively good value.
The War Mammoth (+$14) is a really cool sculpt, but I'm not sure I need one enough to justify a $14 cost.

I could use the Fantasy Dinos (+$12), but at $1.50 per mini (8 in the set) it seems like it's relatively expensive.

I also have Bones 1-4 and they're all basically sitting untouched. I want to support the Kick Starter, but so far they haven't given me a reason why I should do this instead of picking up some of the models after they release to production (or skip them altogether).
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

I haven't pledged yet. I like the Fire Giant as well; and the Dungeon Dwellers expansion and townsfolk add on seem like fairly good deals as well, especially if you're going to build a diorama or something.

I can't figure out who thought sticking the child heroes or spell effects in the core set was a good idea though.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

violence in the media wrote: I can't figure out who thought sticking the child heroes or spell effects in the core set was a good idea though.
With the 'kid heroes' there is an actual goat. That's kinda cool.

They posted an update this morning about things that were unlocked last night including a $50 Daimyo Expansion. Because I am weak, I have pledged again. I'm back in.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

There are 24 hours left in the Bones Kickstarter.

One thing that's kinda cool about this is that if you see something you like but you're cash shy at the moment, is you can pledge a smaller amount (it was $1, now I think the minimum is $40) and you can add anything that was offered in the Kickstarter at the Kickstarter cost.

So if you want a $22 add-on, you can pay for it anytime in the next 12 months or so.
-This space intentionally left blank
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Plus there are now two different ships, if you're the type who hasn't figured out that an actual ship mini isn't really that practical or just want a cool ship.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

I wasn't into miniatures when the other kickstarters happened, but this thread fucked my wallet up and now I'm getting a couple hundred chunks of plastic in a few years...
Last edited by The Adventurer's Almanac on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Remember to get some good paints and paintbrushes, painting miniatures is the best part.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Oh, I have dozens of paints and plenty of miniatures I already need to start working on... but this is such a good value and the Bones minis are my favorites of the ones I have. I just spent about a month painting the main bad guy for my campaign, it's great fun.
erik
King

Post by erik »

It pleases me that the demand for minis remains enough to keep Reaper in business. I pretty much have all the minis I'll ever need for fantasy gaming thanks to the D&D miniatures line from 15 years back and I think the next time I start adding more minis will be when I get the ability to cheaply print them on demand to make custom characters, or if I shift genres and need new minis on that basis.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I like Reaper overall, but I do kinda get a bit frustrated how cheesecakey their female characters tend to be, and when they're not cheesecakey, they tend to be pretty fatphobic caricatures.

It looks like, overall, they've done better on that count here, which I appreciate. I mean, still pretty samey body types, and there's some cheesecake, but there are more female adventurers in relatively reasonable clothes in RB5 than RB4, and the cheesecake figures mostly make some kind of sense.

Also hero goblins, which I really appreciate.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I love cheesecake females in unreasonable clothing - my dumbest mini is a Reaper female pirate that looks like Tara Reid on a coke binge and I love her. She's has giant balloon tits on a body that doesn't look like it has any organs in it. It's great.
brized
Journeyman

Post by brized »

I did Bones 1-3 and still haven't painted any. I think I'll just buy pre-painted minis from now on.
Tumbling Down wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:I'm really tempted to stat up a 'Shadzar' for my game, now.
An admirable sentiment but someone beat you to it.