In US Prisons D&D is mostly played by sex offenders

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

In US Prisons D&D is mostly played by sex offenders

Post by OgreBattle »

Funny Q&A on it: https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Dungeons- ... nd-Ragland

"I’ll tell you something else about D&D in prison: at least 75% of the people who play it are sex offenders.

There’s a variety of reasons this could be but mostly I think it comes down to two things: 1. Most federal sex offenders are in for computer related crimes and those who are good enough with computers to commit crimes with them are generally nerdy and part of the D&D general demographic, 2. I also think there’s something among sex offenders that makes them gravitate towards anything with elements of fantasy.

For this reason, I never played at the gym. Literally there would be tables full of D&D groups playing every afternoon and evening for hours and most of them were sex offenders. They weren’t bad people. Most of them didn’t have hands on offenses at all. But some of them were extremely weird, however, and associating with them in prison can create a guilt by association.

So instead I played in my unit with a small group of friends who also lived in the unit. It was my first time playing D&D and that was true for everyone else who played except our DM.

Well, where I was doing time was a giant complex with a Medium, Low and a Camp. By this time I was at the low. They already had the Creative Minds Program at the Medium. About 7 months into the Creative Minds Program being tested at the low they axed it over at the Medium and banned some people from playing D&D.

The reason was that at the Medium they had the SOMP (Sex Offender Management Program) and apparently some of the inmates in that program were using D&D to do… inappropriate role playing. The people that ran the program also didn’t feel D&D was healthy for those people in treatment because of the fantasy elements and “escapism.”
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

OgreBattle wrote:The reason was that at the Medium they had the SOMP (Sex Offender Management Program) and apparently some of the inmates in that program were using D&D to do… inappropriate role playing. The people that ran the program also didn’t feel D&D was healthy for those people in treatment because of the fantasy elements and “escapism.”
Has there been any concept that has given human civilization brain worms more than Puritanism, or more abstractly Christianity? I think there's fascism and that's it. And most forms of fascism are really just Christianity plus industrialization.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Hot take there, Lago. I'd like to see some science done on the effects of roleplaying and sexual... deviancy? Misconduct? I dunno, I just wonder if RPing out your fetish with a bunch of other sexually frustrated weirdos actually helps you not want to do more weird sex offense shit.
You can't really blame them for engaging in escapism though, it's fucking federal prison. What else are you supposed to do?
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Hot take there, Lago. I'd like to see some science done on the effects of roleplaying and sexual... deviancy? Misconduct? I dunno, I just wonder if RPing out your fetish with a bunch of other sexually frustrated weirdos actually helps you not want to do more weird sex offense shit.
I read Lago's comment as meaning the thing you're arguing.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:You can't really blame them for engaging in escapism though, it's fucking federal prison. What else are you supposed to do?
Suffer, obviously.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:The reason was that at the Medium they had the SOMP (Sex Offender Management Program) and apparently some of the inmates in that program were using D&D to do… inappropriate role playing. The people that ran the program also didn’t feel D&D was healthy for those people in treatment because of the fantasy elements and “escapism.”
Has there been any concept that has given human civilization brain worms more than Puritanism, or more abstractly Christianity? I think there's fascism and that's it. And most forms of fascism are really just Christianity plus industrialization.
Islam says that it's a sin to make any depictions of people/animals.

So portraits? Comics? Movies? Miniatures? Cartoons? Video-games? All forbidden by Islam.

There's a reason why you don't see a lot of Islam artists in the main media after all, and why followers of Islam will rather murder cartoonists.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Has there been any concept that has given human civilization brain worms more than Puritanism, or more abstractly Christianity? I think there's fascism and that's it. And most forms of fascism are really just Christianity plus industrialization.
Randian Objectivism.

Awoo. <3
Last edited by Libertad on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Iduno wrote:
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Hot take there, Lago. I'd like to see some science done on the effects of roleplaying and sexual... deviancy? Misconduct? I dunno, I just wonder if RPing out your fetish with a bunch of other sexually frustrated weirdos actually helps you not want to do more weird sex offense shit.
I read Lago's comment as meaning the thing you're arguing.
Indeed. The idea that engaging in safe fantasy will encourage people to sin is some sick Puritan shit.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

I can believe that at one prison there's a strong correlation with sex offenders, statistics can do all kinds of things with enough chances, but in general? As against that, the American military has a fair number of people familiar with roleplaying games (lots of time to kill apparently; not unlike prisons in that respect), and military veterans get arrested at higher rates than the normal population for all kinds of offences.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The guy talking about his prison expeirence says it's probably because the sex offenders are mostly internet crime people, and internet crime people are more likely to be into D&D
Libertad wrote:
Awoo. <3
Love that Junko Ohashi song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGslweDOihs
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

But does playing D&D make you more likely to be into internet crime? :tongue:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:But does playing D&D make you more likely to be into internet crime? :tongue:
It probably increases the chances of you committing piracy, if you didn't already do that.... but technically, that's NOT a crime (or at least, no one would ever try to give you a 1000 dollar fine after a jury trial when you had to be proved to be the person who did the DLing beyond a reasonable doubt when they can sue you in civil court for 4000 dollars and attorney fees).
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

So were I to twist your words, I could say that D&D makes you more likely to commit piracy. Someone should bring this issue to WOTC's attention, this is clearly a slippery slope that leads to federal prison time.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think the premise of the quote in article is based on cherry picked data sampling. The US Federal Prison system has 200,000 inmates, but only about 2,000 of them are sex offenders. I don't know how they are distributed, but I'd be really shocked if it was anything like uniform.

Most federal prisons can't have 75% of the D&D players be sex offenders because most federal prisons don't have enough sex offenders to form a gaming table.

-Username17
elotar
NPC

Post by elotar »

LOLd!