Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

No, I think he's just that mad right now.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I've totally been trained in gorilla warfare.

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:No, I think he's just that mad right now.
What the heck did you just flipping say about me, you big meanie? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Tiny Tots Program, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the girl's bathroom, and I have over 300 confirmed noogies. I am trained in Nerf warfare and I have the most gold stars in the entire kindergarten class. You are nothing to me but just another butthead. I will beat you the heck up with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my dang words. You think you can get away with saying that baloney to me on the glowy type-box? Think again, doodiehead. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of teachers across the USA and your parents are being called to pick you up right now so you better prepare for the spanking, junior. The spanking that wipes out the dumb little thing you call your playtime. You're in big darn trouble, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can wedgie you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed fartfights, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States PTA and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your dorky bottom off the face of the playground, you little poopypants. If only you could have known what serious punishments your little "smartypants" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your goshdarned tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you silly doofus. I will spray boogers all over you and you will cry about it. You're frickin grounded, buttmunch.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

... I think that's now my favorite version of that copypasta.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Koumei wrote:After applying a bunch of mods (more portraits because seriously, a few extra races/classes/feats, turn-based because obviously, and unlocking the camera so I can see what the fuck is happening in half the places, clean-up to reduce load times and save file size, resting-doesn't-require-rations because if I'm not counting individual arrows I'm not weighing my party down with 100lbs of rations) I'll say it's pretty good.
Related: fuck everything about Nexus. Is there a good place to get mods for games? Or at least a place that's less like trying to do my taxes, except with more password-based bureaucracy?
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

The biggest place I can think of besides the Nexus that isn't game-specific is ModDB. But to answer your question: No, there is not a good place to get mods for games. Comes with the territory. Nexus didn't used to be such a pain in the ass, sadly.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Steam Workshop where available is a godsent.
Reddit? Many modders dislike the nexus and will put their stuff on github.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, fuck nexus with a rusty pole. Their login services were having issues the very night I was setting up my new laptop and it'd been a while since I had logged in. I ended up having to jump through a bunch of capcha, re-verification and new password hoops over and over gain until the information I was sending them finally stuck. Also, I hate any podunk entertainment site that requires special characters in their password requirements just on general principle. You guys are just some assholes I get my portrait packs from, ok? It's the fact that I use throw away XKCD passwords on your dumb bullshit that allows me to have the room in my braincase for the passwords that are actually tied to important shit.
bears fall, everyone dies
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I used to like Nexus, but I haven't had a functional gaming computer for over a year so I don't know what happened since then.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Never had a problem with Nexus (well, some mods got taken down which looked interesting), but I only used it for Skyrim stuff and couldn't be bothered even trying to play Skyrim for months, and barely then.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I tried playing Battletech again but already quit because I salvaged fully equipped minty fresh Victor on Day 117. The game turned into an AC 20 vs Locusts and while that's hilarious it's not hilarious for very long.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Also, I am convinced this happened because I named my pilot "Headhunter."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Whipstitch wrote:I tried playing Battletech again but already quit because I salvaged fully equipped minty fresh Victor on Day 117. The game turned into an AC 20 vs Locusts and while that's hilarious it's not hilarious for very long.
Is that the turn based one? If so, how do their turns work
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

What do you mean, how do their turns work?
Depending on Weight Class you go in a certain order. With a perk in one skill line being able to allow you to go earlier and in another line a perk that allows you to shoot first and move after instead of moving and shooting in that order.

Also, yes, slavaging an assault Mech THAT EARLY is sadly very game breaking.
Both good and bad, because it means your other Lance is still too shitty to deal with Missions that the Assault Mech would feel right at home in.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Actually, if you stick with something reasonably close to the stock load out then having a bunch of mediums advancing ahead of your Victor is surprisingly useful--a mildly undergunned Shadowhawk is shockingly tanky once you factor in how easily it can stack chevrons. Really, I think my biggest issue is that so many gamers are whiny babies and devs are subsequently terrified to include missions with time limits or enough targets that you could conceivably burn through a ton of ammunition. The most fun I had with that save was easily the mission where I was defending a base against 3 waves of light mechs. I didn't pack much in the way of lasers so I ended up burning through all of my ammo and spent a lot of time locked in melee combat.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

The Campaign and several of the flashpoints have such missions.
And yeah, you can have silly fun with experimenting with Loads.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Oh, for sure, it's just a shame that there isn't more of them and that I've seen so many people complain about them.

I mean, don't get me wrong, things don't need to be punishingly difficult all the time. I'm not actually a big Souls fan, for example. But I am OK with people getting punished a bit for trying to split 6 tons of ammo among 4 medium class mechs every mission.

EDIT: I gave it another go and seriously, that Heavy Metal expac is bonkers. I ended up finding a fucking lostech Gauss rifle on sale. It was just sitting around chilling as if it wasn't capable of decapitating an Atlas from across the map. It's still only day 171 and I have fucking Victor waltzing around with this thing.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, you got THAT . .
Then yeah, shops and salvage a positively bonkers.
There is a mod that takes shops back to before 1.8
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:Ah, you got THAT . .
Then yeah, shops and salvage a positively bonkers.
There is a mod that takes shops back to before 1.8
Whatever the opposite of roguetech is then?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

No no no, Rogue-Tech, in my eyes, is shit.
It is trying to do what MegaMek or rather Solaris Skunk Werks does.
I hate the fiddly bits they added. Engine and the such.

There is a Mod that simply tones down shops to what they used to be, no more assault mech parts by the dozend, no more several ++ and +++ and lostech weapons . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I beat the campaign in the pre-expansion days and despite all my kvetching about my OP assault mech I actually kinda feel like the real power creep is the Bulwark and Sure Footing reworks. Basically, the the old Bulwark was only better than new Bulwark in one of the two following situations:

1. You are in an endgame assault mechs that is virtually incapable of dodging.

2. You are in other mechs but couldn't stack evasion and cover because you are an idiot or are fighting on the fucking moon and thus have no cover.

In virtually every other scenario the new Bulwark is just plain better. Mechs with 4+ evasion chevrons and 40%-60% damage reduction are virtually immune to anything packing less firepower than a hunchback. That I have an OP assault mech helps things along, obviously, but fundamentally it's helping me snowball by maximizing salvage rather than actually carrying my lance.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yeah, when i get a lucky assault early on, i basically mothball the rest of the lance and solo 1 and 2 skull missions with max salvage.
I also basically never go for bulwark and sure footing. Always go for shooty bits max first and then pull up tactics for the headshots.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Sure footing is eminently optional but I figure Bulwark is the best of the basic skills by a mile. It means you're always a Vigilance away from 40% damage reduction, aka enough to take an AC/20 to the face and shrug it off.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i like to shoot at long range and make sure nothing ever gets too close to me to actually be much of a threat.
In surprise situations, your approach sounds more surviveable though.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Have you played since they changed Bulwark, by any chance? I'm an LRM truther myself at most stages of the game but modern bulwark is pretty compatible with zoning out enemies anyway. They changed it from 50% damage reduction when you're not moving--aka, the most boring conceivable playstyle--to a 20% damage reduction bonus whenever you're in cover or braced. Cover, Guard and the Bulwark bonus stack, too, so if you jumpjet into cover and brace or Vigilance you can do stupid shit like stack 4 evasion chevrons and 60% damage reduction onto an assault mech. I've had Archers unload their LRM 20 racks on me and score a grand total of 8 damage before, it's hilarious.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i may have to try that.
i hate the lrm bombardment from where i can not see or reach <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: