Still more Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Roy wrote:This is not a thread. It's still pathetic though, both in the proposed builds and the flawed logic.
Who the fuck gets alertness?

Hell the very thing that was asterisked on that page which refers to this page
http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/r ... nalty.html

Undermines the whole point of view. If using xp for power is not good in one case (LA xp penalty), then it's not really equal in the other case (item creation).

This is the same person who made New Argonauts, even when it's free it's not very good and damn near broken.
K
King

Post by K »

Roy wrote:This is not a thread. It's still pathetic though, both in the proposed builds and the flawed logic.
Face it, the man sells soaps with d20s embedded in them. You can't expect actual design from him.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

K wrote:Face it, the man sells soaps with d20s embedded in them. You can't expect actual design from him.
Hey, I don't see any Tome soaps yet. Where's the Tome soaps?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

"Pumpkin of the Night

Handmade to a unique formula by Mad Orange Jack (Wizard 5/Pumpkin King 8 ), this soap has a hard, smooth texture and contains special oils harvested from his own pumpkin patch. Enjoy the scent of autumn mixed with a dark, heavy floral fragrence!

Pumpkin oil and Black Lotus, with hints of damp earth and old bone.

NOT INTENDED FOR ORAL CONSUMPTION. If accidentally ingested, hope your local Cleric has something like Restoration prepared. Otherwise, make yourself comfortable and prepare to vomit blood."

Edit: It gets better.

Black Lotus is a Contact poison.
Last edited by Maxus on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

sigma999 wrote:
K wrote:Face it, the man sells soaps with d20s embedded in them. You can't expect actual design from him.
I see the word "soap" and I think "soap opera". Maybe it's because I use body lotion instead of soap, I don't know. Anyway...
Cleric: Wizard... it turns out you have triplets!

Wizard: Oh no! All the adventuring I must do to support them.

Barbarian: This is great news! Three healthy young babies made from my seed!

Wizard: I don't know how to tell you this... I don't know if they're yours!

Barbarian: You don't mean...!

Wizard: Yes, I've been sleeping with the Fighter as well.

Barbarian: I never should have trusted him!

Wizard: And it's worse... I polymorphed the other day against the Hamatula. Are the babies all right? Did they survive being inside a red dragon's womb?
Oh, and SeanKReynolds seriously admitted in that other post to having made the LA system. That takes balls.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

Enworld poster wrote:Rob Heinsoo has this short post up on his staff blog:
WotC_RobHeinsoo wrote:I made an interesting choice a couple weeks ago.

I've been the lead of the mechanical design team, but I haven't been as happy or as productive in that role as I'd like to be.

I've opted to step aside and work as a regular designer. Design work is what I enjoy most and it plays to my strengths.

Mike Mearls steps into the role of lead mechanical designer, which is wonderful because it gets him working on design, as he should, and I think he'll do a better job as team lead.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rp ... roles.html

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1090093
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

OK that makes no fucking sense.

It reads all like...

"I'm in charge of design. I've decided to demote myself to work on design instead because I'm better at design than what I'm currently doing (which is design). I will be replaced by this other guy, who currently works on design, so he can take my place in charge of design because he is also better at design than what he is currently doing (which is design)."

I am unimpressed, and uninterested in that announcement.

Except for the fact that it was made by the former head of mechanical design and is just short of unreadable gibberish.

But hey, maybe I'm not up on Mearl's former role, or maybe there is a differentiation between mechanical game design roles and some kind of other "regular" game design roles that WOTC imagines means something in a good way, you know, rather than a frightening way where they have a game design department a slightly fluffier game design department that work on separate fucking projects or go around sabotaging each other.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Hes just saying hes going from leader of the mechanics team back to being a regular member of the mechanics team.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=50

Utter and epic fail. For that matter, most of this thread is except TPK, who bitchslapped every last one of them. Captain Assclown sure does love his 'Illusionary Dancer Girl' doesn't he? That's just too easy to snipe at.
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

sigma999 wrote:
"Agh! My new Tome soap just stabbed me in the face!" :pimpslapped:
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Psychic Robot wrote:Heh heh heh.
Psychic Robot in the Wiz wrote:How am I to play my characters without spending the money? Surely you aren't suggesting something illegal, like PDF downloads of the books via some sort of file-sharing program.
BLASPHEMY

On SKR and LA: I've assumed such a thing for years since he did Savage Species.
I'm more pissed at myself than at Sean for it, though. I was being such a sucker for using the flawed systems of other people rather than thinking "oh, that's right, my Fey'Ri fell to an orc axe in the first adventure. DR 10/+1 and wings really aren't worth +2 LA".
Even buying it off doesn't work.
You simply can't use LA+. It's a bad idea.

As a side, I had completely forgotten about the SKR and Monte Cook boards. Been a member since 2001, even. Damn. Good times... before SKR's collapsed.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Leress wrote:Who the fuck gets alertness?
People with familiars! It's free. :thumb:
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Caedrus wrote:
Leress wrote:Who the fuck gets alertness?
People with familiars! It's free. :thumb:
Except that Familiars are a liability. Well, without the proper safety measures. Which aren't in the PF rules.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Roy wrote:Except that Familiars are a liability.
Last time I used one (when I was an Unseen Seer), my familiar gave me extra actions using my casting stats, had skills like a Rogue of our level, and made regular use of UMD, and shared all the benefits of my buffs. And he was always hanging out warded and invisible and all that, because *I* was. My familiar was better than some of the other party members.

How is this a liability?
Roy wrote:Well, without the proper safety measures. Which aren't in the PF rules.
We're talking about PF now? Also, I thought I could use 3.5e supplements with pathfinder, even if we are.
Last edited by Caedrus on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Roy wrote:http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=50

Utter and epic fail. For that matter, most of this thread is except TPK, who bitchslapped every last one of them. Captain Assclown sure does love his 'Illusionary Dancer Girl' doesn't he? That's just too easy to snipe at.
When did the Den become PR's personal forum?

And on the Rob Heinsoo News: Wow, so nobody still knows the difference between "mechanical" and regular game design? This just confirms the incredible incompetence. When people are walking around with redundant job titles with no clearly defined difference, you're talking about an incredibly poorly managed operation, kind of like my last job.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Caedrus wrote: We're talking about PF now? Also, I thought I could use 3.5e supplements with pathfinder, even if we are.
I'll be dissecting it for the choice bits, if any, like any other d20 publication.
Keep what you like, scrap the rest.

As for familiars and actions, I think they would work best almost as an additional limb for the PC. It increases diversity of options but not amount each round.
They increase options but don't bog the character down by dying or whatnot.
As long as the character lives, it can be brought back the next day.
At higher levels it would survive a character's death as a form on Contingent Resurrection... or a pseudo-Magic Jar at best, preventing soul stealing.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Caedrus wrote:
Roy wrote:Except that Familiars are a liability.
Last time I used one (when I was an Unseen Seer), my familiar gave me extra actions using my casting stats, had skills like a Rogue of our level, and made regular use of UMD, and shared all the benefits of my buffs. And he was always hanging out warded and invisible and all that, because *I* was. My familiar was better than some of the other party members.

How is this a liability?
Roy wrote:Well, without the proper safety measures. Which aren't in the PF rules.
We're talking about PF now? Also, I thought I could use 3.5e supplements with pathfinder, even if we are.
The original topic was about some guy writing stuff for PF, and the subsequent discussion of Alertness's usefulness. Familiars do become useful with the right tricks (specifically, the ones that ensure it doesn't die and drain your XP) those tricks are not available in the presented context. Ergo, Alertness is still Fail in this situation. By extension, the guy recommending it also Fails. Simple as that.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Sean K. Reynolds makes a fool out of himself

To save you from reading the entire thread, I highlighted this gem for you, where SKR encourages gold farming as a style of play.
Sean K. Reynolds wrote:
Strange, most people believe that feats are more valuable than items because you have tons and tons of gp worth of magic items (and you can always go quest for money in easy areas that won't net you any xp) yet you have a very limited number of feats.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Sean K. Reynolds wrote:
Strange, most people believe that feats are more valuable than items because you have tons and tons of gp worth of magic items (and you can always go quest for money in easy areas that won't net you any xp) yet you have a very limited number of feats.
I guess someone has been out of the d20 gaming circles for too long. There are some really dumb things coming out of SKR's mouth.
Absentminded_Wizard wrote:
Roy wrote:http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=50

When did the Den become PR's personal forum?
I guess it become that when everyone started to assume that PR came from here instead of, at least to my knowledge, the Paizo forums.

@Roy: I think think the Familiar bit from Cederus was in a tongue-in-cheek way since it had the ( :thumb: ) after it.

EDIT: Need for clarification.
Last edited by Leress on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Apparently I have, since I've always assumed *everything* out of SKR's mouth was contaminated with a generous helping of Pure Stupid.

The odd thing is, the point he makes that RC quotes isn't as stupid as it could be if you accept his assumptions (that feats are actually good and useful, and stay that way, so at high level you actually care about them). Its the other stuff that he goes on about that really sounds stupid.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Well, he's arguing that something is valuable because there aren't many copies of it, rather than because it has any particular intrinsic desirability.

The extreme form of the statement is that if I painted an ox turd out of ox poop on a canvas, that would be a unique piece of art that there was onl one of in the whole world - and that therefore people should be willing to trade me for a statue of The Thinker because there are about two dozen of those and only one Ox Poop.

The answer of course is that it is not by scarcity alone that value is ascribed. There is also utility, which SKR is ignoring completely.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

FrankTrollman wrote:The extreme form of the statement is that if I painted an ox turd out of ox poop on a canvas, that would be a unique piece of art that there was onl one of in the whole world - and that therefore people should be willing to trade me for a statue of The Thinker because there are about two dozen of those and only one Ox Poop.

. what?
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

No one mentioned that he confused Combat Reflexes with Lightning Reflexes?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Roy wrote:No one mentioned that he confused Combat Reflexes with Lightning Reflexes?
Well, that could be an honest mistake, and that is the least of his problems in that thread.