How much is a Ghost worth?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

How much is a Ghost worth?

Post by Hicks »

In a 3.5 D&D game, when would it be level appropriate for a PC to play an Incorporeal character, like a Ghost?
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: How much is a Ghost worth?

Post by Username17 »

Hicks wrote:In a 3.5 D&D game, when would it be level appropriate for a PC to play an Incorporeal character, like a Ghost?
In general,incorporeal characters,like any puzzle monster, make very bad PCs. The fact that they have literally no fear of bears, even in closets, makes them unfortunate to have around. Not that they are amazingly unbalanced when facing 14th level opposition, just that the finality of their defenses cuts off enough otherwise cool risks that they make the game worse at all levels.

Not necessarily unbalanced, just worse.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

A Ghost is worth 2 gp.

For a Ghost blowjob. WOOWOO

http://krazykimchi.com/imageboard/src/G ... lowjob.jpg
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Out of curiosity, what if you removed the "I arbitrarily ignore a huge class of attacks" part and just kept the walking through walls part?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

The thing is: IIRC, at level 14 there isn't many such threats. And if the legendary elephant's nominally CR 14, who actually cares? The best argument actually seems to be "passing through all non-force walls" - and then, go deprive the wizard of it.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
rapa-nui
Journeyman

Post by rapa-nui »

The main argument against allowing incorporeal undead in your game is that because an afterlife is a given then you have to work out the entire cosmology and logic behind that cosmology. Unless no one cares, then whatever.
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth. ~HP Lovecraft
erik
King

Post by erik »

Bigode wrote:The thing is: IIRC, at level 14 there isn't many such threats. And if the legendary elephant's nominally CR 14, who actually cares? The best argument actually seems to be "passing through all non-force walls" - and then, go deprive the wizard of it.
Urm... most critters are substantially less effective, if not entirely neutered by facing an incorporeal opponent. This is true all the way up to CR 20's.

Dragons and most creatures have the crappy "ki strike" version of natural weapons where their attacks are considered magic only for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Even giants with magic weapons have a 50% miss chance.

If you're a full fledged ghost, then the draining touch ability is essentially a ray of stupidity for killing anything.

And of course ghosts rejuvenate in 2d4 days even if they do encounter something lucky enough to be able to destroy em.

A straight up PC ghost is a campaign wrecker.

Now Ghostwalk did some stuff to provide nerfed ghosts for acceptable PC play, but I'd have to scrounge up my book to remember what they did (and whether it appeared successful) since it has been so long so I looked at that stuff.

It's kinda hard to justify the incorporeal bit for walls only. But if you were treated as incorporeal for the purposes of going through inanimate objects only, then I'd be tempted to simply make it a 1 level prestige class called "ghost" which essentially did just that.

My fire from the hip take on that:

d12 HD, +2 will save, +1 caster level and +1 BAB just in case it matters.

Requirement: you died and don't feel like staying dead.
If raised, then you lose the ghost level. If true resurrected then swap it out for something else.

There's more nuances to it like how to handle equipment and undead type, but I'm less interested in that since I feel dirty when I touch anything to do with 3e creature type. 4e at least did something right when they relegated creature types to a glossary with a vastly reduced impact of creature type on creature construction. Creature types in 3e were one of their worst executed concepts.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I took a quick look through Ghostwank and it's pretty crappy. Alas, the guy who usually finds something shit and faps on about it on end for a year or so did exactly that, so I'm particularly biased against it.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

rapa-nui wrote:The main argument against allowing incorporeal undead in your game is that because an afterlife is a given then you have to work out the entire cosmology and logic behind that cosmology. Unless no one cares, then whatever.
Um, doesn't "I died pissed off" work?

clikml: not talking about specific kinds here. But yeah, I forgot a lotta stuff was pretty much ki strike. Though you didn't actually write a single rule on how the semi-incorporeality would work, I'd thought similarly: being made of ectoplasm and taking damage (possibly Con/Cha burn) to get through stuff.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Bigode wrote: clikml: Though you didn't actually write a single rule on how the semi-incorporeality would work
Yeah, I kept it pretty brief. I should probably amend it to say "able to pass through inanimate non-magical objects only"... so stuff like dragons and giants could still pound your ectoplasmic ass with their claws and fists, but weapons would have to be magical to harm ya, and of course, you can still happily walk through walls and floors.

Whether you want to have a fly speed or have the ghost stuck in the mindset of having to walk on stuff would be another decision to make (perfect flight at movement speed might be level 2 of the "ghost" class).

Likewise for breathing/eating you will probably need to make a call. The ghost may think that it has to do those things and suffer perceived damage which becomes actual, if it is deprived of those living past times. (I'd be tempted to buy breathing and eating off with a feat rather than a whole level).
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Ghostly

Ghosts are crazy-broken at all levels of play, mostly because of their ability to flat-out ignore most physical challenges (such as lava-river), and bypass most combats (T-Rex can't bite ectoplasm). However, ghost characters are full of flavor, so this makes us sad. A person who chooses a ghost race loses all abilities of the first races, although maintains all of the appearance. A ghost gains all of the following abilities:

Ghosts gain the Incorporeal subtype
Ghosts are healed by negative energy, and harmed by positive energy.
A ghost may become Incorporeal as a standard action with a duration until the beginning of their next turn as per the Ethereal Jaunt spell.
A ghost does not have to eat, sleep, breathe, etc., although they may do so if they wish.
Ghosts are immune to magical death effects.
A ghost who "dies" due to hit point damage, ability drain, or any other way you manage to kill it, returns to 'life' in the spot it was killed a period of 2d4 days later unless the area is Consecrated at any point during that time (in which case they are permanently dead and may only be brought back as per True Resurrection, at which point they are no longer a Ghost).

----------

This is a "Ghost" that functions like a normal character, who cannot be killed (normally), and can move through things. They get most of the "ignore physical challenges" ability, at the cost of any other racial bonuses they may have gained. They cannot attack or cast spells very well when Incorporeal, so they don't move off the RNG in that way.
rapa-nui
Journeyman

Post by rapa-nui »

Bigode wrote:
rapa-nui wrote:The main argument against allowing incorporeal undead in your game is that because an afterlife is a given then you have to work out the entire cosmology and logic behind that cosmology. Unless no one cares, then whatever.
Um, doesn't "I died pissed off" work?
Yes, in beer and pretzels type games.

Otherwise:

No, because then every orc barbarian you've slayed in the campaign who died while raging could be a ghost. It can become a loophole: every player who dies simply claims "I want to haunt the world because of XYZ" Also, a lot of things are implied when you throw a ghost into the mix: dualism, afterlife, etc. Is a ghost made of matter? If not, why does fire burn it? What does "permanently dead" mean if TR can undo it?
Last edited by rapa-nui on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the scientist there is the joy in pursuing truth which nearly counteracts the depressing revelations of truth. ~HP Lovecraft
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Bah, please don't take it so literally. I just didn't want to write a 3-paragraph stomach-churning explanation of why someone would die really fvcking pissed, that I see no problem with being enough regardless of cosmology. Do you actually want to read that (not that I'd write)?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

A ghost might work best as 'insubstantial' (gaseous) rather than incorporeal. Hell, just make it like permanent gaseous form without quite as many drawbacks.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Speaking for myself...

I do want to know the reason why YOU were sufficiently wrathful to return but that berserk orc over there wasn't.

Because "I was totally pissed off" is too broad unless we get LOTS of ghosts.

If nothing else, perhaps only those of strong will AND powerful "ties to this world" could stay, but that still means something on the cosmos as distinct from "death is game over" and "no ghosts, whatever happens after death".
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Elennsar wrote:Speaking for myself...

I do want to know the reason why YOU were sufficiently wrathful to return but that berserk orc over there wasn't.
Emotion^(Strength of Will) = Passion based magic strength.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

ubernoob wrote:Emotion^(Strength of Will) = Passion based magic strength.
That can't possibly be right.

Strength of will obviously needs a unit of measurement, and you can't have units in exponents, so you'd at least need a conversion constant or two in there somewhere.

I mean, come on, let's be reasonable here.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

It could be a unit in the same way that radians are units (and are used as an exponent in Euler's Equation and others) and it would work out fine.

Also :rofl:

Edit: nah, on second thought that probably sets up some weird thing where strength of will is circular, which probably isn't what's wanted here.
Last edited by TarkisFlux on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Manxome wrote:
ubernoob wrote:Emotion^(Strength of Will) = Passion based magic strength.
That can't possibly be right.

Strength of will obviously needs a unit of measurement, and you can't have units in exponents, so you'd at least need a conversion constant or two in there somewhere.

I mean, come on, let's be reasonable here.
Oh My Strength of Will is HUUGE. So HUUGE the Paizo boards banned me for talking about it. :-D

EDIT: N.B. SoW (which is still HUUUGE on my side) needs a measurement but Emotion doesn't? Or are we going to use some of the real world equivalents such as pop psychology tests such as EQ and Emotional Deviations and all that other creations of the crazy 90s bored psychopomp psychiatrists?
Last edited by Cynic on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

A_Cynic wrote:EDIT: N.B. SoW (which is still HUUUGE on my side) needs a measurement but Emotion doesn't? Or are we going to use some of the real world equivalents such as pop psychology tests such as EQ and Emotional Deviations and all that other creations of the crazy 90s bored psychopomp psychiatrists?
It's an n-by-n matrix of brain chemical concentrations, but that doesn't matter since you can exponentiate stuff with units just fine. It's not even hard.

But trying to figure out what the heck 92^(50 seconds) even means just makes for brainhurt and angry physicists.

Srsly u guyz. Conversion constants. Really.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Exponentiating units works fine in principle (you can have, for example, ft^2), but still probably doesn't work in that equation, because that would mean you end up with inconsistent dimensionality for the magic strength. And I considered mentioning that in the first post, but I thought that going into too much detail would detract from the effect.

As for radians in exponents, I think that if you want to be really pedantic the exponent is unitless and if the same variable appears as the argument to a trigonometric function there's an implied unit added.

One of my high school textbooks actually spent some time explaining that radians weren't units at all (because they're defined as a ratio), but of course that's incorrect (radians are dimensionless, but that doesn't mean they're not units). But most people will drop units from their equations whenever they can possibly get away with it.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

A_Cynic wrote:Oh My Strength of Will is HUUGE. So HUUGE the Paizo boards banned me for talking about it. :-D
I wanna hear about it. Or rather, about how you were banned for doing what I want you to do now. :D
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Bigode wrote:
A_Cynic wrote:Oh My Strength of Will is HUUGE. So HUUGE the Paizo boards banned me for talking about it. :-D
I wanna hear about it. Or rather, about how you were banned for doing what I want you to do now. :D
--
I shall do something similar.
~~

Oh, What Can I say but quote paraphrase this rather obnoxious e-mail I got from one of the Paizo moderators who some here have a fondness for.
Some Moderator Of Paizo Who On That Day Wrote with wherewithal and longing gusto wrote:Your behavior today on our messageboards has gone over the line. Your bizarre paranoia that you're being stalked (you're not,despite the HUUGE-ness), your sexually explicit posts ("You are now arguing that the Pathfinder bard should be devoting his time to singing songs about your Strength of Will and how HUUGE it is), and your general lack of respect for our repeated warnings to correct your behavior ("Even if I 'play nice' as the Super Happy Fun Time mods obsessively advocate I still get a hate squad getting jealous over how HUUGE I am") have pushed you to the point of no return.

You are no longer welcome on our messageboards, you are no longer able to post on our messageboards, and I'd *strongly* encourage you not to create sock puppets again to attempt to circumvent the ban since we'll find them and ban them too. Continued attempts to post on our boards will force us to contact your ISP as it's almost certain your behavior violates their terms of service.
--

That took too long and it probably was not worth the effort to find the original post by Roy to edit.
Last edited by Cynic on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Paizoans have macrophillia.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »