healing and heroism: an Elenssar free thread

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

The focus, to me is more heroism than healing, perhaps I should have worded it differently. if chase/retreat mechanics make healing less of an issue, I think it has a place here.

What do people think of a "blaze of glory" mechanic (queue Bon Jovi track) where you can boost your power in critical situations, but at the cost of placing yourself in the way of almost(total?) certain death?

Death is still in the game, but heroes choose their deaths and make sure they look fucking cool while they're do it. Resurrection would have to be out, but I like the idea of being able to retire a character with a bang. It would require a less arduous character generation system (though you're likely to be doing it at the end of an adventure and so you got all week to stat up another one)

Frank: how would what you described work with things like duels or criminal organization beating down on the little guy? Are players assumed to be part of an aristocracy of sorts or is everyone ransomable?
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

FrankTrollman wrote:
  • A character who has achieved a sufficient lead in chase tests is "gone" and can't be caught without some sort of tracking. Thus, they are essentially uncatchable within the confines of this encounter.
7th Sea does something like this. Any chase - foot, horse, ship, whatever - is resolved using opposed skill checks. A success by the chasee gains him one or more chase tokens, and if you accumulate 10 chase tokens you are assumed to have gotten away. If the chaser reduces the chase tokens to zero, he has caught up and normal combat ensues.
ckafrica wrote:What do people think of a "blaze of glory" mechanic (queue Bon Jovi track) where you can boost your power in critical situations, but at the cost of placing yourself in the way of almost(total?) certain death?

Death is still in the game, but heroes choose their deaths and make sure they look fucking cool while they're do it. Resurrection would have to be out, but I like the idea of being able to retire a character with a bang. It would require a less arduous character generation system (though you're likely to be doing it at the end of an adventure and so you got all week to stat up another one)
I like that idea very much. It should still be possible to die in other ways, but it would be very difficult.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Like I suggested in the other thread (fuck this is a pain in the ass) a blaze of glory mechanic would be a good addition.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I hate accumulated tokens. If there's a good fight, you end up rolling too many dice - who wants to flip a coin until one side has ten more wins than the other? And worse, if you're just barely winning, there's no chance luck will bear you out, you jsut lose slowly.

Something with tactical bonuses to burn would be better.

-Crissa