Low level 4E combat is a bunch of bullfuck.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Ok my sarcasm detector is not reading properly...

I really haven't looked at 4e very much but if I recall correctly you got 1 out of way more than one of each dailies and encounters at first, right? How long does it take to get to the 4 of each you eventually get? Would having extra options and actions (as many of the abilities we not created equal) do anything more than extend the adventuring day?

It's really a moot point as I'm likely to never play the game but for curiosity sake, what would it change?
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Now, the question is: was their unwieldy, page-eating style of power formatting purposeful or inadvertent? I can see aspects of both. On the one hand, exception-based design masturbation, and the developers are idiots. On the other hand, bigger font + crappy layout = more books = more sales because retards buy books.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You get your fourth Encounter Power at 11th and your fourth Daily power at 20th.

But seriously, the entire Paladin list for first level has a total of:
  • Four At Will Powers
  • Four Encounter Powers
  • Three Daily Powers
Seriously, that's it. And they split them in half, where half of them are Grind Paladin powers and half of them are Tron Paladin powers. And since they are based on different attributes, there's really no confusing the two unless you are borderline retarded.

And when it comes down to it, they aren't even that different. As a Grind Paladin, you are Charisma/Wisdom and your powers extend combat. You have a choice of one of two Encounter attacks. One of them gives the target a penalty equal to your Wisdom to its attacks for one round. The other gives your ally a bonus to his AC for one round that is equal to your Wisdom. Those two attacks are actually exactly the same if your target is the only enemy who attacks your most vulnerable friend in the next round, and the situations where you'd want one instead of the other are fairly obvious and minor.

As a Tron Paladin, you also get two encounter smites to choose from. One of them does extra damage equal to your Wisdom Mod, and the other gets a bonus to hit by targeting Reflex instead of AC. Seriously, that's it. They are otherwise the same.

And that's the problem when it comes down to it. There isn't enough stuff in the game to make giving people more choices a valid option. It isn't just that characters don't have enough in-game options. There aren't enough powers in the rules to give characters enough in-game options.

-Username17
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

I propose the following terminology:

At will = finger poke.
Encounter = minor scratch.
Daily = slight cut.

These terms describe the effects of these attacks nicely, wouldn't you say?
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

FrankTrollman wrote:I would say that this is the single thing really holding up Fantastic! more than anything. Writig up powers is incredibly dull, and for a game to be interesting and playable it needs to have a lot of powers.
I like writing up new powers/spells/feats/edges.

Maybe I should take a look at Fantastic! Is it otherwise a decent game?
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

D'oh!
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.