d20 what-if - damage and bonus tokens

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

d20 what-if - damage and bonus tokens

Post by Crissa »

What if instead of there being Instantaneous damage or bonuses to HP or stats, they'd be Intrinsic (from race, class, level), or Temporary, Permanent (from spells and effects).

That way if you take poison damage to an ability score, it'd sit as a token on your sheet that would have to be repaired later; damage to hitpoints could be listed the same way.

But I don't see any reason for spells and effects to ever change intrinsic values, because those ought to be bought from levels, even for NPCs. No manuals of dexterity or animal enlightenment spells to stack endlessly.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Sure.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Sounds workable to me...although I'm not sure what the overall benefit is. If you have a spell effect with the [Permanent] tag, isn't that just as good as raising yout [Intrinsic] numbers, at least until you get hit with a dispel?
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, you could word other spells to remove [permanent] tokens so that you could use buffs that stacked in more complex ways without changing the value on your character sheet.

As it stands in D&D, there are spells that will just rewrite your character sheet for you, giving you a trade-in for straight power.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Maybe Frank's TNE damage system should use 3 damage levels rather than 4, just so that you can use ice house pieces as damage counters.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Maybe Frank's TNE damage system should use 3 damage levels rather than 4, just so that you can use ice house pieces as damage counters.
What are "ice house pieces"?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Caedrus wrote:What are "ice house pieces"?

Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Okay, those look cool.

I assume they're made of ice, or used to make houses? Or you can get 'em at a place called "Ice House"? Some sort of ice cream fast food joint, maybe?
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Ice House is the name of the game you play with them; but other than that they're a generic game piece that can be used to play many games. If I recall, there's a whole book of games designed for the pieces.

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Those do look cool but I see potential stacking disaster from bored players.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I see the possibility for makeshift caltrops.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

They actually make pretty good makeshift miniatures. Plus, as Crissa said, there are a lot of games that use them. Volcano is a lot of fun.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack