The Blade of Radiance (base class)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Even though level 2 is the minimum level you can enter.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

The capstone ability Trancendence seem a little Ho-Hum. Its not like anyone is gonna play a 20th level character for long. So for all the flack you're gonna get for playing a Rainbow Bright reject, all you get is crappy elemental resistances, and immunity to critical hits and stunning when energy immunity and elemental body and the Heavy Fortification armor enchantment were available 7 levels ago? DR 15/-? two words: stone skin. Hell, they probably have a "greater" version of it floating around somewhere.

So what makes this capstone better than 7th (and 4th) level spells?

Oh yeah, and Flickerstep? Greater Teleport [Monstrous] is available at level 5 to your target audience: the Fey-Touched Aasimar. Why not something like tree stride at about that level or undermaster at 17th or whatever, go nuts.

Suggestions
  • (1. Break up Trancendence and make the Energy resistance and damage reduction equal to your class level, and give them prismatic ray, spray, wall, and sphere somewhere in their progression.

(2. Lower Evasion to under level 6 and Improved Evasion to under level 11

(3. If you want Flickerstep not to be a nut punch and different, make it a Line of Sight greater teleport that follows a Move, Swift, then Immidieate action progression.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I Agree with PR -- Rainbow Fury looks extremely annoying to resolve.

Especially in a tome game. Remember that it's not at all unreasonable for an 11th-level character to be making 8 or so attacks per round. Then consider how long it would take to resolve 5 fireballs every action.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Roy wrote:Even though level 2 is the minimum level you can enter.
Nope. See Pazuzu.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Bigode wrote:
Roy wrote:Even though level 2 is the minimum level you can enter.
Nope. See Pazuzu.
Minimum level you can enter on your own. Pazazu requires a specific build and lucking out with a high DC Knowledge check early. This simply requires you have Arcane Mastery (which is a good feat anyways), and save up 1,650 gold, which is doable by level 2 via WBL. Technically you can do it at 1, if you convince your party to throw in but that makes it take longer to loop so eh.

Technically you don't even need Arcane Mastery, you'll just have a 45% chance to fuck up on reading the scroll if you don't take 10.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Roy wrote:Minimum level you can enter on your own. Pazuzu requires a specific build and lucking out with a high DC Knowledge check early. This simply requires you have Arcane Mastery (which is a good feat anyways), and save up 1,650 gold, which is doable by level 2 via WBL. Technically you can do it at 1, if you convince your party to throw in but that makes it take longer to loop so eh.

Technically you don't even need Arcane Mastery, you'll just have a 45% chance to fuck up on reading the scroll if you don't take 10.
One requires being a spellcaster with a specific feat for auto-success or just being a spellcaster, the other being a paladin with a specific skill or just the skill (and it's possible to auto-pass it with a shard), so I'm not seeing either as much more specific.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Don't you have to be a Wizard to enter the Wish Economy in the first place though? Planar Binding and spell lists and all?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Candle of invocation (AFAICT). And adventuring for wish-level items in Tome.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I think the first level of the class is slightly on the "too strong" side, simple by virtue of being able to throw around Color Spray every round with the "base stats" (hit die etc) of the class.

Otherwise, it seems pretty well great.

Also, arguing about what level you can enter the wish economy seems uselessly pedantic. What's wrong with the level 11 baseline? I don't think it's quite the Oberoni fallacy to say that stuff found on the corner of cheese corridor and stupid street shouldn't be the baseline for comparison.
Last edited by Surgo on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I agree that level 1 is a bit strong, Surgo, but at the same time, I'm not precisely sure how to make it better. Reducing the hit die is the most obvious way I can think of, but I'm not sure if that really achieves what is necessary. Thoughts?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Surgo wrote:Also, arguing about what level you can enter the wish economy seems uselessly pedantic. What's wrong with the level 11 baseline? I don't think it's quite the Oberoni fallacy to say that stuff found on the corner of cheese corridor and stupid street shouldn't be the baseline for comparison.
I think I pretty much said I found that argument irrelevant when I pointed the minimum level being 1.
Mister_Sinister wrote:I agree that level 1 is a bit strong, Surgo, but at the same time, I'm not precisely sure how to make it better. Reducing the hit die is the most obvious way I can think of, but I'm not sure if that really achieves what is necessary. Thoughts?
I was thinking of delaying the spellcasting by 1 spell level (and still end at 6).
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I like that, Bigode - will alter to fit.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Brgiht Blade needs to <awesome> only when held by a Bright Blade. Others may not use it, ever.

I see no issue with Greater Dispel Magic, wtf was that all about?

Rainbow Fury should deal half damage to everything within 5 (10?) feet, and require no roll.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Brgiht Blade needs to <awesome> only when held by a Bright Blade. Others may not use it, ever.

I see no issue with Greater Dispel Magic, wtf was that all about?

Rainbow Fury should deal half damage to everything within 5 (10?) feet, and require no roll.
For the first: *DOH*
For the second: The issue was PR being a retard.
For the last: I LIKE IT. Will edit in ASAP. Thanks!

Edit: Now fixed.
Last edited by koz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.