Donald Rumsfeld vs Your Lame Ass Social Mechanic

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

Donald Rumsfeld vs Your Lame Ass Social Mechanic

Post by PhoneLobster »

Rumsfeld wrote:...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know.
So anyway. All too often someone makes a half assed attempt at dealing with social mechanics.

They make questionable decisions and groundlessly dismiss the basic "Infinite Lists" issues with endless specific social goals and endless specific contextual modifiers.

Then they make a system that revolves entirely around a haggling mechanic for trading/begging items/favors/stuff of specific values.

I'm making this thread to call attention to one specific problem, "What's In The Bag?".

See almost all the piss poor "social mechanics as begging!" proposals are... fundamentally broken, because they are built from the ground up on the dual assumptions of perfect information and perfect (uniform) rational actors.

The goal is in the form of items or favors that have objective values that all parties in the mechanic are both aware of and agree upon.

And that is quiet frankly ridiculous. Because what if my interaction isn't to ask for something. What if I am giving you something? What if it is not what it seems to be?

The Price Of Mystery
So first issue. Most begging mechanics try to achieve balance by pricing "minor" benefits low and "major" benefits high.

You immediately break their pricing system the moment a player invents the suit case bomb.

Because "Hey can you hold my bag for me?" is almost always the lowest difficulty on the begging table. While "Die Please?" is generally the highest... but why ask someone to "Die Please?" when you can ask them to "Hold my bag for me?" and hand them a huge fucking bomb.

Worse still begging systems generally don't even BEGIN to deal with the idea of giving gifts. They instead revolve around difficulties for, well, begging, or at best haggling. Often they have a huge blind spot for "How hard is it to convince someone to receive a shiny gift that appears to be something they want FOR FREE!" Or if not for free then for any seeming profit. At best these systems weight such a transaction as even easier than the "minor favor" of "Hold My Bag?" if not having such a huge blind spot as to either drop it into MTP or worse, auto success territory.

So where "Hold My Bag?" breaks the entire system, "Would you like this gift wrapped present?" breaks it even more.

Worse still you can totally set up a situation where the other party asks YOU for something and you plan to give it to them with a bomb inside it.

Objective Lies
Some will say, "So what? As soon as I get around to implementing deception this will all magically work!".

No. No it won't. And next time you had best consider it from the start instead of writing another failed begging/haggling system that breaks the moment it contacts imperfect information.

But anyway. The idea is that you could try to solve this issue with an objective valuation system where, contrary to reality, the big lies are objectively harder to tell.

The idea being "Hold my bag (which secretly contains whoopee cushion)" is objectively easier than "Hold my bag (which secretly contains an atom bomb)".

Unfortunately we hit several problems.

The Value Of Deception Is Contextual
So the whoopee cushion bag, at the big atomic peace conference, could be as bad as the atomic bomb bag. But it's rather hard to argue that the lie to hand over the whoopee cushion bag should be as hard as the atomic bomb bag... because then people will just say "screw it, lets just hand them the atomic bomb bag, it's not like it's a harder lie".

And if that isn't enough... the character may not KNOW that the whoopee cushion bag is so much more dangerous/valuable as a lie... because...

Deception is Subjective
One of the problems with "what is in the bag?" is that not only does the receiver not know the truth, but the gift giver may ALSO not know the truth.

If you say that lie difficulty is objective regardless of knowledge by the gift giver (even if they think they are being honest!) then you still value the atomic bomb bag high. BUT your game breaks when the player THINKS they are handing over the atomic bomb bag but inexplicably has incredibly easy rolls because the bag is really empty, or the reverse!

Hell, what if no one knows there is an atom bomb in the bag? Under an Objective deception mechanic it is almost impossible to convince anyone to take that bag even if no living person in the game world knows it contains a bomb.

Worse the game breaks and gives objectively incorrect values when the players simply outsmart the GM and "mystery bag" a trap he doesn't fully realize the value of. An act which under such a system is actively cheating as ridiculous as that may be. All just because one of the problems with dealing with objectively valued knowledge is... well actually in reality even the GM's, and the players actual knowledge is subjective and flawed.

Useful idiots
Alternatively to all that, if you say the lie difficulty is Subjective... then players use "Useful Idiots" as intermediaries effectively wrapping their "bomb" in the "bag" of a genuinely honest dupe. Or even themselves act as bumbling idiots who honestly forgot they put a bomb in there for the significant bonus they gain for being three stooges based assassins.

So hey maybe you implement a "deduce information" mechanic so complex and over the top that you get an additional deduction phase/action that lets you determine if the person providing your information is not only subjectively honest but ALSO to use the deduce information check to determine something about THEIR information source and it's potential honesty.

That's... already kinda bad on a number of levels. But basically there has GOT to be some sort of "second hand information" penalty here on that deduction check. And then it's really just a question of "how many intermediaries to an auto success?" followed by "do we REALLY want to mechanically encourage players to setup shell games so elaborate as to create entire shell corporations worth of useful idiots?"

Not to mention, once again, what if nobody knows? What if the deduce information check simply reveals that it appears to be turtles all the way down?

Paved With Good Intentions
Now, on top of the rest of the Subjective valuation issues. Just like people who write lame begging social mechanics have a blind spot for gifts... when they come to writing a deception mechanic they have a blind spot for honesty.

Which means you get all that bomb in bag bullshit AND more often as not if the gift giver thinks it's a real gift they get actual negative DCs/modifiers and possibly even an autosuccess or "System doesn't even cover it, so MTP!".

And in the mean time it will sometimes be desperately important to convince people of the truth and lets be honest here. Very very few social mechanics ever even come close to addressing this. And if you think "what's in the bag" was a kettle of fish, good luck navigating the minefields of telling "An Inconvenient Truth".

And it's not just literal bombs and bags
And yeah as a reminder this is not just literal bombs and bags. That's just a metaphor for deception and imperfect knowledge and you can do this with cursed swords, incriminating evidence, stolen valuables, seemingly helpful false information and a million other things.

And then there were Irrational Actors
And if THAT wasn't bad enough... all the above STILL assumes that while knowledge may be imperfect all parties involved are still perfectly rational actors who behave in a consistent if not uniform manner.

Which is itself unreasonable and a deeply flawed way of approaching social interactions.

But needs to be considered because should you ever somehow untangle the appropriate value for "Have a nice present!" you now STILL need to deal with the additional layer of "This character has sworn never to accept undeserved gifts for obscure philosophical reasons". Which could result in your "here have a gift lie" suddenly going off the difficulty charts for purely arbitrary reasons, or worse still remaining the same BUT now with the ADDED benefit of the gift recipient declaring he "Owes you a karmic/work ethic based favor".

So basically at some point here you probably need another "deduce information" pass where characters attempt to determine that the king will be more likely to receive a purple wrapped gift bomb than a pink wrapped gift bomb, or that he just really likes bombs and it doesn't actually benefit gift wrapping.

End Point Complexity
Eventually all this gets you to an end point in complexity where juggling all your imperfect information and intermediaries and irrational actors such that you have at least two additional deduction rolls, who knows how many deception rolls, and THEN maybe some actual transaction rolls. And before all of that the GM has not just the basic valuation to pull out of his arbitrary decision ass but ALSO the rationality of the actors, how many intermediaries are involved, and how much subjective/objective information is accurate or false.

And you need to do all of that to deal with asking someone to pass the salt at the dinner table. In part because that's just what happens when you start basing your system off "all goals ever!" but also because that salt might be a bomb.

And once you get up to actions that actually do matter and actually do contain bombs... the actual difficulties will be wildly divergent and arbitrary to the point of being utterly non-functional in any form of balance.

Creating a system which is objectively worse than pure MTP on basically every front.

So THAT is basically the point where back in the day I said "well screw this methodology" and turned around and went with a system focused on ally creation that bypasses this entire mess as largely unsolvable.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

So... can I get a TL:DR version? I got as far as people are being to specific in their social mechanics Wha! and then realized how long the post was..
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Why should the difficulty of "hold my bags for a moment, please" have anything to do with what the bags contain?

I can't think of any social system that's better than MTP overall either, but "bag with a bomb is an easy con" isn't a problem, that makes complete sense.

Edit: To clarify, I mean that on the analogy level as well. A proposition, and any related difficulties, should be rated at face value. (Of course, some characters may be more suspicious, or more suspect, than others. I would take a bag from any of my coworkers no questions asked, but probably not from some shady guy I met in an alley no matter how innocous it seemed.)
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Schleiermacher wrote:...but "bag with a bomb is an easy con" isn't a problem, that makes complete sense.
One of the most common criticisms leveled against any social mechanic is "It lets you kill the king too easily compared to stabbing!" etc...

So designers put "die please" and "things that risk your life" as high difficulty options/examples for their begging mechanic. And they give out "minor favors" like hold a bag as being really easy. And I mean like REALLY easy. like lowest possible difficulty or even auto-successes.

If you don't see the problem with that... well then anything at all goes really.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Schleiermacher wrote:Why should the difficulty of "hold my bags for a moment, please" have anything to do with what the bags contain?

I can't think of any social system that's better than MTP overall either, but "bag with a bomb is an easy con" isn't a problem, that makes complete sense.

Edit: To clarify, I mean that on the analogy level as well. A proposition, and any related difficulties, should be rated at face value. (Of course, some characters may be more suspicious, or more suspect, than others. I would take a bag from any of my coworkers no questions asked, but probably not from some shady guy I met in an alley no matter how innocous it seemed.)
PL is arguing that the knowledge that bags with bombs (or grumpy badgers, which is probably a better D&D analogy) I guess should make people wary. And that a social interaction system sucks because "can you hold my bag for a minute" is super easy in social interaction terms.

But in the real world you totally can ask someone to hold this bag and have it be a bomb. They literally tell you every 20 minutes in an airport not to hold other peoples' bags, and to be especially wary of abandoned bags as well. And they've been warning us of that for 40 years because people will *still do it*, which means doing the favor when asked "can you hold my bag" is at the very least a social norm and at the most an intrinsic desire to be amicable.

I could walk up to any random person in the street and quickly say "Hi! Could you hold my bag for just a moment?" and odds are people would do it.

So I'm not sure what the point of all this is. The Rumsfeld quote has to do with the danger of unknown unknowns, the things you don't know that you don't know that completely clusterfuck your attempt at prediction, modeling, and statistical analysis. But the idea of the grumpy badger in a bag is a known unknown, just like the purpose of this thread.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The thing is, hold my bag really is a favor that is easy and most people will do, unless the circumstances are extremely outside expectation. It's okay if people accept 'gifts' pretty easily because most people don't spend enough time on the Den to automatically be suspicious of every apparently altruistic act.

You'd be surprised at what people are willing to do for a stranger under 'safe' conditions. Unless there have been a rash of luggage bombings, 'hold my bag' is usually pretty minor. See True Lies for your movie example.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Yeah it sounds like PL would like to mechanically outlaw knot cutting in social mechanics. Which sounds like bullshit. I think the problem with getting someone to hold a hidden bomb should be in obtaining, hiding, planning around and escaping the explosion of the bomb and not the handing it off.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

The main point seems to be that preventing knot-cutting through social mechanics is impossible. Every layer of the nightmare mechanics he describes assumes that things are difficult if they would result in massive benefits to the character, and the rest is about how that breaks down in the face of imperfect information.

It's hard to make the benefit of a favour the deciding factor in how hard it is to convince someone to do it, because at some point there will be a favour that should, in human experience, be easy to convince someone to do that isn't by the rules because this time that bag is a bomb. Doing so is only possible if you're willing to accept the consequences of whatever layer of the onion your system stops at. Personally, I'm fine with useful idiots haplessly transporting bombs because I feel it produces reasonable enough results. Still, that's a way of knot-cutting the social system itself by saying "Hey, could you give this to the king for me?" instead of "King, could you please kill yourself?"
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

deanruel87 wrote:Yeah it sounds like PL would like to mechanically outlaw knot cutting in social mechanics. Which sounds like bullshit.
Or I don't know. Like a formalized mechanic. When people sit down and say they are writing a social mechanic. Especially a transaction based one they are claiming they are offering formal balanced rules for those actions and the values of their outcomes. Pointing out that they don't have that and under that particular model basically can't have that is the whole point.

Meanwhile. When you write formal balanced rules your knot cutting is generally either removed or formalized. You should not get to bypass "DC for fatal social attack" with "well I just describe it differently!" any more than you get to bypass "Number of sword attacks to kill a guy" because you graphically describe how you want to stab him in the eye this time.

And anyway. This "knott cutting" bullshit, you want to protect somehow... first of all what the hell is it specifically, second of all how the hell does it get to be allowed to co-exist with/render entirely redundant an entire mini game, and finally how the hell is it functionally compatible with the specific goal based social mechanics this thread is criticizing?
I think the problem with getting someone to hold a hidden bomb should be in obtaining, hiding, planning around and escaping the explosion of the bomb and not the handing it off.
There was a whole section pointing out this isn't literally limited to bags with bombs. It's a discussion of the imperfect nature of knowledge and deception.

The bag is uncertainty itself and the contents are whatever the most deadly death your game has.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

And of course, convincing Joe Dirt Farmer to bring a gift to the king isn't actually that hard (10 GP is probably sufficient if you don't reveal your true intent, but the king isn't likely to just meet with any of his 700,000 dirt farmers. If you really want to pull it off, you probably need one of his generals to do it... And they'd likely be harder to convince (for diplomacy to work it has to allow level appropriate defenses - convincing a 1st-level soldier to die for his country should be easier than convincing the head-of-state. [/td][/tr][/table]
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

That's part of why I'm happy with the useless idiot - it's an extra point of failure.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

So the point is that all social interaction engines to date are limited because there's always a scenario that you can think of that isn't covered by the rules.

Okay... And?
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Setting up a lethal social attack is usually going to take a fair bit of work, whether it's a suitcase bomb, or convincing someone to take a dip in a pool of water which is really acid. If the execution is relatively easy after considerable setup I do not see this as a problem.

If the world is one where obtaining a suitcase bomb equivalent is easy (e.g. Shadowrun) then people should be more paranoid. Which is not inappropriate for Shadowrun at least.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

TheFlatline wrote:there's always a scenario that you can think of that isn't covered by the rules.
The scenarios in this thread include "Being honest but wrong", "Giving a gift", and "Anything that is not what it seems to somebody involved".

If those scenarios are not covered in a "all goals ever!" social system advertised as, and designed with the primary goal of representing every possible social transaction as a discrete and uniquely balanced formalized action...

...then the gaps are too big.

You don't get to say "Meh, everything is imperfect!" when the holes are the size of "The moment everyone involved isn't omniscient".

That is pretty much the entire point.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

rampaging-poet wrote:That's part of why I'm happy with the useless idiot - it's an extra point of failure.
I see it more as a an additional cost/risk free chance at a do-over.

I also see it as being a bad thing to motivate as a powerful exploit of your mechanics because if someone is going to hand the king a gift wrapped death using cunning deception we probably want the player themselves to actually do it because that's somewhat more cool as an individual action and less of a time sink.

As for "setup costs" any contact between a flawed social mechanic that doesn't account for imperfect knowledge and actual human players will result in applications of these issues that are simply jury rigged from existing bits and bobs they are already carrying around and various bits of story they have already encountered.

And aside from that, you can "setup" an intermediary in the form of a fellow party member any and every time you want your lies believed because they were told by an honest useful idiot. It just involves the party's creative thinker sticking their hand in the party's idiot bard and using them as a sock puppet every single social encounter. Every. Single. Social. Encounter. Ever.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

The way you account for imperfect knowledge is to base the system on the subjective perceptions of the actors!

That's the only way that doesn't give absurd results. Heck, it's the only way that makes any sense at all. Arguably the only way that's possible.

Getting people to accept booby traps, employing useful idiots as intermediaries to deliver lies with a straight face, and generally screwing people over with information asymmetry is not an exploit. It's something people will want to be doing and something you should expect them to be doing. It makes no sense to treat this as "cheating your way to a fatal social attack". (Seriously, there shouldn't be any context-independent "fatal social attacks" to begin with.) Because if you have set up a situation where a small favor or an easy lie is all you need to win, then you have used good strategy to get a contextual advantage. The analogy is not to bullshit-MTPing your way around the combat mechanics, it's to fighting in conditions that grant you a large circumstantial advantage -potentially rendering an ostensibly challenging opponent easy pickings.

Damn it, I never thought I'd see the day when we'd be discussing the "problem" of how to prevent characters from doing smart things.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Schleiermacher wrote:Damn it, I never thought I'd see the day when we'd be discussing the "problem" of how to prevent characters from doing smart things.
That's PhoneLobster for you.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Schleiermacher wrote:That's the only way that doesn't give absurd results.
You can whine on all you like how you really like "knot cutting" or whatever you want to call it this month. But you are out to design formal rules for an actual GAME.

When it encounters actual human players your players will ask you "So this minor action thing that is an auto-success/easiest possible success... what can it give us?"

And if your answer is "Abra-ka-crap-da! ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE! Isn't that wonderful?!" then they will proceed to break your shitty failed social mini-game for all it's worth because that's players for you, and hell it's basically what you just told them to do..
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

And in PL's world, the manifest of every container is publicly visible, because the suitcase bomb exists regardless of whether there are rules or it's MTP. I'm not sure what kind of genre this is any more, if people inherently have X-ray vision and fourth wall telepathy in order to get around "misinformed dupe" technique. Maybe everyone is inherently Sherlock Holmes?
Last edited by virgil on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Virgil you aren't writing a reality simulator. This thread is not about writing reality simulators. It is about game design.

I know you are too stupid to differentiate. But do try.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

...I haven't mentioned knot-cutting once. I'm not even quite clear on what it's supposed to mean. Keep your detractors straight.

That aside, in a task resolution system that has any truck with consistency whatsover, the difficulty of a task and the value of the outcome are completely independent of each other.

If there's a pile of gold at the bottom of a 10-ft. deep hole, jumping down or climbing up doesn't mysteriously become more difficult just because there's a great reward to be gained. The difficulty of lighting a fuse doesn't care how big the pile of explosives on the other end is.

And a favor that seems innocous to the target, but is hugely valuable to you, isn't going to mysteriously be more difficult to get than if it really were innocous, as long as the target doesn't realize you're up to something. Obviously.

What I want isn't a "mini-game" in that sense. It's a resolution mechanic. The reason I want it is to avoid resolving all social encounters by fiat. The only way it can "break" is by giving absurd results.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

PhoneLobster wrote:Virgil you aren't writing a reality simulator. This thread is not about writing reality simulators. It is about game design.

I know you are too stupid to differentiate. But do try.
I got ninjaed here.

When you're talking about RPG design, there's more than one school of thought, and more than one possible set of design goals. "Reality simulators" are also RPGs.

That said, we clearly want different things from our social mechanics and are talking at cross purposes, so I'll leave this thread to you.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Schleiermacher wrote:...I haven't mentioned knot-cutting once. I'm not even quite clear on what it's supposed to mean. Keep your detractors straight.
Your entire "But I wanna because it's SMART to say I stab the ogre in the eye and insta kill him mystery bag the entire social system". Basically is the knot cutting demand re-iterated almost verbatim. You don't need to use the specific label that you apparently don't understand for it to apply to your argument.

And the problem is that in a game system your subjective resolution plan does produce absurd results. Like the entire party lying to each other until one believes so he can auto-succeed on a lie to a third party every time the party needs to lie to a third party. That's one of the end points you get to somewhere after "brainless bard sock puppet" (which was bad enough already).

Game rules have emergent behaviour and inserting a rule "just because it seems realizmz" is no guarantee that in the context of a game the emergent results won't be entirely absurd.

And even if they weren't absurd, and they are, they can still have massively unfeasible costs (like the multiple rounds of multiple layer deduction rolls) or be generally counter to good game play (players forgo the entire physical combat system because they can now just cheaply defeat all their enemies on auto-successes with your "semi-formal realistic social resolution system" instead).
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Schleiermacher wrote: "Reality simulators" are also RPGs.
No... they aren't.

And anyone who actually believes they are genuinely writing a "Reality Simulator!!!11!!1!!" for realz as an RPG.

Well for one thing they will write a crappy RPG. For another thing they will write and incredibly crappy reality simulator. But most of all they are just tremendously incredibly stupid.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The very fact that this thread can exist is why I totally discount any and all input from PhoneLobster on any and all social mechanics. The underlying logic that the difficulty of tasks must equal the utility of end results simply doesn't even make sense. PL is off yelling about what a huge problem it is that in my systems it's no more difficult to push someone five feet if they happen to be standing next to an environmental hazard, and I have really nothing to say to that.

Of course it's not more difficult but a lot more rewarding to push an opponent when they are standing next to a bottomless pit than when they are standing next to some open ground. That's why you do it! Intelligent choices involve using effects in ways that they will have the most positive effects. And that's a good thing. Fireballs don't do less damage when there are more targets in the area. It doesn't become more difficult to pick a lock if the thing in the chest is important. Tasks are just what they are, and if the results of those tasks are more or less useful to you at the moment, that's a pretty good reason to choose one over the other.

That PL even thinks this is a problem means that I don't actually care what he has to say on this subject. At all.

-Username17