More Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Re: More Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Actually I didn't bother to call you names. I was just posting the train of thought that answers your question.

Simply put, if you define your opponent as stupid then their argument is wrong. Hence "you're a mindless sheep" defeats anything your opponent says. Its a simple example of ad hominem.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1200296623[/unixtimeThat said, snap your wrist when you swing the bat, and you should do better in baseball.

I was fine with pitching - I don't know how to pitch properly, so I simply focused on snapping my wrist forward rather than doing anything resembling throwing. Doing so made the game think I was pitching really fast, and the ball flew along at hundreds of miles per hour.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Personally, I think a person who criticises people for playing video games on a fucking D&D message board really needs to start thinking long and hard about the shit they fling from their mouth. You're not exactly into the cool hobbies yourself, you know.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

And I think that people that criticize people who criticize other people for playing video games on a D&D forum need to pull the giant bug out of their ass.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Believe it or not, I work out 3 times a week (not last week or this week for cardio, sprained my ankle), and get tail a few times a week. I'm in the best shape of my life. I don't believe in getting drunk/high however, so that's out. For what it's worth, I'm 5'9", 178, mostly muscle (but I don't expect anyone to believe this).
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1200309484[/unixtime]]
Draco_Argentum wrote:Easy, criticism coming from retards is meaningless. Doing stuff soley on the grounds that it is(n't) cool makes you a retard thereby making your criticism worthless.

What? :confused: I get that you're calling me names but the rest just doesn't make sense.:confused: Just because you don't agree with the criticism doesn't make it less valid.

If you came to discuss logic and reason, then son, the Internet is the least likely place to accept it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Wow. I had never realized before that the reason that casters dominated fighters over the course of the entire game was because of timestop and delayed blast fireball.

Edit: And a new contender for best quote ever:
There's only one problem with this...if ONE aspect is out of whack, it's easier to fix the one aspect than to change the entire rest of the game. Rather than fixing the umpteen-million problems with noncasters, why not just fix the relatively few problems with casters?

-Username17
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I'm not playing D&D and d20 for game balance anymore, not even in a Tome game. The Vermin being 'automations' was the last straw. I'm now playing Mutants and Masterminds. At least if you get awesome modifiers, the game ups you in Power Level to keep up with your awesomeness.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Why did you go and quote him? I was happy and oblivious until now.

Desdan has some wise shit there, about game-critics on an RPG site.

Anyway..
There's only one problem with this...if ONE aspect is out of whack, it's easier to fix the one aspect than to change the entire rest of the game. Rather than fixing the umpteen-million problems with noncasters, why not just fix the relatively few problems with casters?

Emphasis on the key part here. This person really should know the game better. So sad..
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Shivering touch does not shut down dragons

Shivering touch damages the target's DEX score.

Draining DEX to 0 results in paralysis.

Dragons are immune to paralysis.

The trick doesn't work and never has worked. Sorry, hoard-stealers, time to go back to the drawing board.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Renegade Paladin is dumb and I hate him. And judging by how he stated his original post, I would venture to say he's one of those dragon fetishists who thinks any encounter with any dragon should either end in the PCs being enslaved to it or being wiped out. Like that one guy from the WotC boards who I think argued that Great Wyrms should be able to kill gods or some other bullshit. I hate him too.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I agree with Ceilingcat. Renegade Paladin is dumb and I hate him. Where is SMITE STUPID when you need it?

Renegade Paladin Page 3 wrote:Because if I can save even one game from the cheese of using dragons as ATMs, then it will be worth all the aggravation of this thread.

Renegade Paladin Page 4 wrote:If people were going to ban shivering touch they'd have done it by now. I see the spell trumpeted far and wide as the ultimate one-round dragonkiller on this board. For those who play RAW, shivering touch is in no matter what I say on the subject; the only recourse is to point out that, no, by RAW it doesn't work.

But there is some light at the end of the tunnel, thank you Voyager I for this new exciting feat inspired by Renegade paladin.

Voyager I wrote:Improved Obtuseness [Frustrating]

Benefit: You get a +4 bonus on Will saves to continue a repetitive argument, as well as on Craft (Illogical Argument) checks to misconstrue the obvious intent of a piece of writing when presenting it as evidence. In addition, your opponents are denied the circumstance bonus from any evidence they present, no matter how well verified it is.

Normal: Without this feat, opponents may discredit your arguments and cite evidence against you.

I'm going to sig this one. (But not on this post - that would be redundant.)

RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

The moment one of my players showed me shivering touch, I just laughed and told him that there's a snowball's chance in hell I ever allow that spell in any of my games.

But Renegade paladin wouldn't do that. He is of the rules lawyer DM school, whereby instead of just stating the obvious, where you say shivering touch is broken and ban it, He tries to come up with some rules lawyer bullshit about how it doesn't work the way you think it does, so he can go on deluding himself that he plays a 100% RAW campaign, and that he's still following the immutable holy scripture to the letter.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Doesn't matter if it works on dragons, it totally works on a large number of other things enough to be crazy. I present, for examination, Giants, the Abyssal Greater Basilisk, the 12-headed <Pryo-Hydra>, Glabrezu, the Ghaele, and the goddamned KRAKEN.

edit: Pyro-Hydra (changed from Cryo-Hydra), Frost Worm removed.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Actually the Frost Worm and the 12 Headed Cryo Hydra are Cold Immune, so they aren't nailed by shivering touch - which while not a Paralysis Effect is a [Cold] Effect.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Just put a fuckin "Fort: negates" save on it and stop bitchin about the Shiver.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

So what exactly does shivering touch do? (Yea I know I could just buy "It's Cold Outside" but I'd rather not.) I assume it's a touch spell and that it does dex damage, but how much?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

3d6.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

:jawdrop: 3d6 ? :jawdrop:

That reminds me of another jaw dropping experience. I used to have a pool happy DM. So we came to this pool. My dwarven fighter with the 8 INT drank from the pool. Several dice rolls from the DM later *POOF* his int is now 16.

Let's see, one of those rolls was the attribute to raise, and one of those dice rolls was plus or minus and ... HOLY SHIT, I had a 50/50 chance of being BRAIN DEAD! (8 INT - 8 is BRAIN DEAD.)

I suppose to be safe you probably only use the maximized version. :flames:
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Being that a Maximized Shivering Touch (Rod of Maximization is 14K in gold) paralyzes almost any monster over size medium, it is usually good to be safe. The monsters listed above are CR ~12. You can one-shot them at level 5 without trying too hard (Sudden Maximize at level 5 or 6). It remains useful at level 18, where only 1 core CR18 monster is immune to it (which is an undead). The fact that most monsters above CR 17 are dragons or giant monsters anyways is an afterpoint.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Dude, always make sure your potion is blessed before quaffing.

-Crissa
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

You know what makes me cry at the moment.

The Privateer Press forums.

Every damn time I get interested in their game again I pick up a few miniatures, and I find myself checking out their damned forums.

Then inevitably I cross some bullshit ass-hat "old boy" and have the full weight of the petty tribal fuckwits that pass as professional moderators over there jump all over me.

I mean this is a forum where drooling social retards go on graphically about Necrophilia and how much they like to torture baby elephants.

And when a portion of the fan base feels uncomfortable about the later of those types of social retards the PP website releases a cafe press product line mocking them (those who are concerned, not the pricks wanking on endlessly about how cool torture is).

And the place seems to be getting STUPIDER. I mean when I first logged on there and got into a shit fight with some bastard who was convinced that the optimal Cryx list to recommend to beginners was literally 100% (those stupid ranged non AoE bone jacks, I forget their name) at least people would argue comparisons of actual attributes and abilities of units.

Now you go on and the MAIN line of argument out there (on EVERY TOPIC) consists of one of the following.
1) It is impossible to compare anything with anything ever. Therefore whatever is being discussed is comparatively equal and balanced.
2) Theory, facts, numbers, and reason are all meaningless and stupid. The only valuable contribution to a discussion (about theory) is in the form of real life gaming anecdotes. I have one (or don't but believe that someone somewhere will provide me with one) that proves I'm right.
3) A more skilled player will beat a less skilled player. Therefore whatever is being discussed is equal and balanced.
4) This topic has come up before and we fucking insulted everyone who talked about it until they left in disgust or the mods banned them all and deleted the threads. Therefore we are going to do it again.

My run in with the community out there this time?

Did I insult some retarded fuck using one of those arguments on me?

Did I openly criticise some stupid aspect of the game in a disparaging manner? (not like there aren't plenty, starting with the failure that is Remix)

No, I just noticed, and commented, that This now functionally linked thread
which has been pinned for about a year and a half (ever since about the five minutes after posting it that it took the OP to get his buddies among the mods to pin it for him) has yet to actually produce any actual use of its promoted methodology, NOT EVEN THE PROMISED USE BY THE OP HIMSELF.

On a forum with countless threads debating real issues of community concern that run into dozens of pages and now result in almost instant disparagement if ever brought up again by curious newbies.

All you have to do to get your thirty reply thread (or when it was pinned 2 reply thread) pinned is to know some mod or other.

And then it will be defended with warning levels, temporary bans, and deletion of inoffensive replies FOR ALL TIME.

As much as that thread made me sad, its far from the caliber of pure evil that should be linked around here, so try This instead.

Its the latest and probably last gasp of the baby elephant thing. Remember its all about a community so dysfunctional that a mildly uncool model caused a debate that to this day has the WINNERS (supported openly and proudly by PP) STILL salivating over setting fire to animal rights activists and hoping that future model releases will include... "tortured slave units...possibly tortured female slaves".

That company and its community makes me very sad in ways that GW never did. I didn't think it was possible for a gaming company to find new ways of making me sad not yet explored by GW, but PP is utterly ground breaking in this regard.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Damn. I had once thought PP was pretty cool. I was even going to play in an Iron Kingdoms d20 RPG campaign (never happened).

Well, I'll always have my Monsternomicon...buggy as hell, but I'm a monster junky. New monsters are always cool.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Several things: the all Ripper Jack army backed by Denegra is situationally excellent. Ripper Jacks are very fast and resilient for the points, so in certain missions (where you race to objectives and play king of the hill on them), it has a very good win ratio. Also makes an adequate assassination list as the jacks are fast and can be filled with focus at your whim, which forces most opponents to play defensively when you have a lot. Not a great list for Victory Points though, as each jack is worth a point so your enemy can do very poorly and still win on the scoreboard.

In pure assassination you are better off with a more varied army. A squad of bile thralls, a disposable line of mech thralls, some pistol wraiths, and of course a sub caster because those guys are awesome. Some people like Bane Thralls as well becuase they hit stupid hard and are nigh immune to archery of all kinds. The "all Rippers" army does win games and it's pretty easy to learn on because you only have one unit to learn the ins and outs of on your side.

---

Second thing: Your link to the sticky thread doesn't work.

---

And lastly: Yeah, Privateer Press has gone apeshit. Back in 2004 they were Earth's last best hope to fight back GW. We just wanted them to clean things up a bit and flesh things out some. In the meantime they've gone for the out of control power inflation, the customer screwing, the incredibly hostile attitude towards their fans.

Yeah, Privateer Press no longer gets my money. Fuck those guys.

-Username17