Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

And the fix is a new feat just for rapiers, instead of adding it to the other feat?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

It is somewhat impressive, but giving that bonus to all light or finesse weapon would be... op? and folding that shit into weapon finess would destroy the game, I'm sure.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

ishy wrote:And the fix is a new feat just for rapiers, instead of adding it to the other feat?
As a general rule, Paizo does not make changes to Pathfinder feats just because the feats are awful. They only errata things if they think they are OP.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

animea90 wrote:
ishy wrote:And the fix is a new feat just for rapiers, instead of adding it to the other feat?
As a general rule, Paizo does not make changes to Pathfinder feats just because the feats are awful. They only errata things if they think they are OP.
The PF Monk would like to agree with that sentence.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Speaking of errata, they want to nerf Explosive Runes now thanks to Lovecraft fans being butthurt about a strategy to beat Cthulhu involving a lot of Explosive Runes.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

Thanks for luring me into that thread, now I have white noise in my head and it's not going away. But this is just normal madness on paizo.com and as long as none of the devs show up there just ignore it - or did they indeed react to this nonsense somewhere?
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

James Jacobs stated he wants to nerf Telekinesis and Explosive Runes after seeing that thread.

Edit: Had a typo.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

CapnThePirateG wrote:The actual important things, such as the expertise feats or the Killing Curse feat for warlocks, you need to pay for.

Getting bullshit nerfs on your character is free.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

icyshadowlord wrote:James Jacobs stated he wants to nerf Telekinesis and Explosive Runes after seeing that thread.
Explosive Runes is a stupid spell.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Telekinesis is great for pushing around dire rats and bulemic wizards, what needs to be nerfed on that?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I've had the spell banned for PCs after using it with Gargantuan darkwood crossbow bolts in one game...
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Did someone ignore the weight limit? Or are the 375 pounds a "suggestions"?
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

virgil wrote:I've had the spell banned for PCs after using it with Gargantuan darkwood crossbow bolts in one game...
I can't see why. Even at 4d6/level (which is what you would get in 3.5e from using Colossal+ bolts - I assume Pathfinder toned it down?) I would hesitate to use it over a high-quality 5th level battlefield control spell. Your attack roll is going to be mediocre, so the BBEGs you would want to hit with a massive nuke will avoid most of the damage anyways. Using it as an anti-mage spell has the ominous feeling that other casters will turn it back on you, and then you have escalated right into rocket launcher tag.

It just feels like there are way better options.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Pixels wrote:It just feels like there are way better options.
There are, but the idea of doing that offended them.

I'm sure the bard in the party who had buffed his music to the point of granting +10 to attack and damage didn't help...
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

icyshadowlord wrote:James Jacobs stated he wants to nerf Telekinesis and Explosive Runes after seeing that thread.

Can you link the thread?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

animea90 wrote:

Can you link the thread?
Here, the reason why James wants errata for telekinesis is on the next page.
Last edited by ishy on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

ishy wrote:
animea90 wrote:

Can you link the thread?
Here, the reason why James wants errata for telekinesis is on the next page.
But the spell already restricts you to 15, so his specific reason for wanting errata is wrong.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

virgil wrote:]But the spell already restricts you to 15, so his specific reason for wanting errata is wrong.
Well, that thread is all about asking JJ random stuff, not expecting coherent answers. There are quite a few dafuq-moments sprinkled throughout the pages, because what PF rules say and what JJ wants them to be tend to be two different things.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

hogarth wrote:
Explosive Runes is a stupid spell.
Really just make it fire damage (like it was in Warcraft 2 video game, remember the Ogre Mages could cast Rage or Explosive runes).

That way it is possible to have immunity.

The current way is force which is godly strong since other than Force Dragons, what has immunity to it?
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

I can see wanting Explosive Runes to be "one cast, no stacking". Of course, the obvious solution in that case is to have a rule that says "Explosions that happen simultaneously in the same area don't stack" which probably makes sense anyway (as mentionned in another thread, drunk posting right now, so all you physicists can fuck off right now.)
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Slade wrote:The current way is force which is godly strong since other than Force Dragons, what has immunity to it?
The only one that leaps to mind isn't immunity, just some reduction: the Argent Savant

From this thread:
Rants aside though, I can't think of any creatures immune to force damage except Force Dragons, and things like golems who are immune to any spell that allows SR, including most force spells. Most.

Oh, and Willow Wisps, except for their vulnerability to Magic Missile.

And spellcasters who have the Force Ward spell.

Oh, and Argent Savants have some resistance to force damage. Not much though.
But that's just stuff that allows SR...
Last edited by Fwib on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So. What's the skinny on the Pathfinder downtime rules?

I haven't looked at them yet, but, some of my friends who do play speak of it glowingly.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Paizil
NPC

Post by Paizil »

I found them pretty pointless. Basically, you go through some rolling to get the opportunity to buy new resources at 1/2 the normal price. You then spend these resources to build buildings. There is an elaborate system with hiring teams and managers to do this for you and building rooms to get them bonuses.

The problem is everything is so cheap there is little reason to bother. You can just buy a Castle for 7,390 gp, or do a ton of rolling and spend time to get it for 3695. Plus they don't integrate with other system from the same book, like the Kingdom rules. I don't know of a way to break them or anything, they just don't do enough for me to bother with them over MTP.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

virgil wrote:But the spell already restricts you to 15, so his specific reason for wanting errata is wrong.
The trick of olde was to use Chain Spell on it. *shrug*
Last edited by NineInchNall on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

Paizil wrote:I found them pretty pointless. Basically, you go through some rolling to get the opportunity to buy new resources at 1/2 the normal price. You then spend these resources to build buildings. There is an elaborate system with hiring teams and managers to do this for you and building rooms to get them bonuses.

The problem is everything is so cheap there is little reason to bother. You can just buy a Castle for 7,390 gp, or do a ton of rolling and spend time to get it for 3695. Plus they don't integrate with other system from the same book, like the Kingdom rules. I don't know of a way to break them or anything, they just don't do enough for me to bother with them over MTP.
To be fair, no self respecting murder hobo is going to spend gold on a castle over magical equipment. So you have to make the castle really cheap otherwise the few RPers who buy it are at a massive disadvantage over the murder hobo.