Stormwrack is All Wet

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Stormwrack is All Wet

Post by User3 »

So I've just had a chance to look at Stormwrack. Here are the vitals:

--No classes that are worthwhile. While there is a Sea Witch class that gives the abiity to make maelstroms(which is pretty neat, but useless in most ways), but you ditch it after 2 or 3 levels.
--Enough sea combat rules to make your eyes glaze over. Real glazing.
--Sea-ish feats, with one or two new combat feats that you almost would take.....if none of the Complete books or setting books existed.
--New races! There is a human subtyped race that is all aquatic and skill bonusy. There is also a +2 Str/-2 Dex race with a natural bite attack which is +0 LA and the new melee race for everyone ever. Poor half-orc.
--Aquatic longbows? WTF?
--Some useful expansions on skills. Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering) is the boat building skill and Knowledge(Geography) is the navigation skill.
--More sea monsters, including an aquatic monster that you kill and juice, then smear the fresh monster juice on your body for a Stoneskin effect that washes off in water. How that is supposed to work is beyond me.
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Stormwrack is All Wet

Post by Username17 »

Every time someone writes nautical rules for anything, you end up with a bunch of special rules that don't make any sense in the greater context of the game. I don't know how many times I've had to tell people in a Shadowrun game that under no circumstances could they take "Sea Madness" as a flaw on their character.

In general, people shouldn't be allowed to write rules for nautical adventures. Regular adventuring rules should work when people are on the deck of a ship. It's just not that outlandish of a setting.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Doesn't Savage Species have mouth weapons? :uptosomething:
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well the problems with the generic D&D rules for sea adventuring is that they don't handle ship to ship combat well. However, I am inclined to see this as a really minor problem, since parties of four adventures + a roughly equal number of cohorts really aren't capable of crewing anything that would regularily engage in ship to ship combat. On the PC party scale, ships should really just be terrain and special effects.

However I do have some issues with the listed ship speeds and how they interact with the speeds likely to be possessed by aquatic adventurers. There is a need for some ship speed-boosting magic sails and a clear need for naval powers' warships to function as fantasy aircraft carriers for some sort of aerial cavalry. Otherwise they will just get owned by the wildshaping, swan-boating, merfolk-allying PC pirates who can outrun them by 2 to 1 or more with better manuverability.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

How do the spells look in Stormwrack? Any great ones? Broken ones?
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

By the way, I resent how on the cover the monk looks all cool and collected, while the druid is getting hammered. That's not an accurate depiction of real D&D a all.:uptosomething:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Think fins-to-feet, Guest.

-Crissa
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Crissa wrote:Think fins-to-feet, Guest.

Thinks: Well I'm thinking of a gun!

... ok so you yanks aren't going to get a goon show reference but I can't help it.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)