The Other Railroading Thread

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

PhoneLobster
King

The Other Railroading Thread

Post by PhoneLobster »

Mod: Split from the "Name Magic" Discussion

RC wrote:The story calls for a One Ring so we put one in there. We don't really worry much about the mechanics for forging it, or stats for Sauron. We just kinda accept that it's there and that's it.

But thats railroading and it sucks.

Imagine you are the stories hero, the main protaganist setting the strategy for the party of heroes. You know, Gandalf.

Now the books go with you having a cunning double bluff plan rellying on a midgets purity of heart and throwing the one ring in a big voodoo volcanoe.

But an RPG calls for choice. Alternate plans might be...

A) Let Sauron waste his time chasing the ring, we waste Sauron then we worry about cleaning up the cursed ring toxic waste (need stats for Sauron).

B) The rings are super powerful artefacts forged by great magic. Lets do that again and trump the old rings with new rings (or maybe tongue studs). Could involve bringing the races together and doing all sorts of funky forging quests but it might just work. (need ring forging rules).

Now the GM doesn't need to anticipate everything in advance but the system needs to at least have within it the capability to generate or account for these kinds of situations. It the system actually goes "Sauron, just too tough for stats" or "Ring, too cool to forge" thats well more than two big alternate stories the system just can't tell.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: Chart Charting Charts!!!!

Post by RandomCasualty »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1143325044[/unixtime]]
But thats railroading and it sucks.

But an RPG calls for choice. Alternate plans might be...

A) Let Sauron waste his time chasing the ring, we waste Sauron then we worry about cleaning up the cursed ring toxic waste (need stats for Sauron).

B) The rings are super powerful artefacts forged by great magic. Lets do that again and trump the old rings with new rings (or maybe tongue studs). Could involve bringing the races together and doing all sorts of funky forging quests but it might just work. (need ring forging rules).

You mix up railroading with power limitations.

This is the same sort of thinking that says it's railroading when the following happens.

PC: "OK, I solve the problem by blowing up the planet."

DM: "Sorry you're not that powerful."

PC: "OMG!!! you railroading whore!"

Railroading is disallowing PC choice, but not necessarily presenting them wtih limited options. Sometimes the PCs just aren't powerful enough to do something.

Yes, you have to allow them to try to charge Sauron's fortress in Mordor if they want to, but they don't have to be able to succeed. They can always get their asses handed to them, just like the 1st level guy trying to kill Manshoon in FR.

As for creating a better ring, that's going to be another plot device, where the PCs have to race to complete some quest to create a new ring. To set up a plot device forging wtih all sorts of cool forging quests, you can't have concrete rules. Your rules are going to be rough guidelines like 2nd edition item crafting which basically was "ask your DM". And basically if your DM wanted to let you craft something you could, and if not, then you couldn't.

If it's just some guy sitting in a lab following item creation mechanics, then that's boring as hell and a crappy story. But that's what codified item creation rules do. You get some guy sitting in a lab putting gold into a jar and producing a magic item. From a storytelling point of view that sucks the big one.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

If it's just some guy sitting in a lab following item creation mechanics, then that's boring as hell and a crappy story. But that's what codified item creation rules do. You get some guy sitting in a lab putting gold into a jar and producing a magic item. From a storytelling point of view that sucks the big one.

I agreed with you up until here.

In fact, in a lot games or source material, the protagonists take pains to choose what kind of sweet material they have. For every Elric there's an Aladdin; for every Rocketeer there's an Iron Man; for every JamesBond there's a MacGuyver.

While in Elric, Rocketeer's, and James Bond's case their equipment, even signature weapons come to them at the whim of a plot, it's very important for Aladdin, MacGuyver, and Iron Man to have a definite set of rules which detail how they get the exact equipment they want; otherwise Aladdin's genie is in control of his wishes, MacGuyver has to stock up equipment at the beginning of the adventure or find things in neat little packages along the way, and Iron Man would basically be some guy whose life is in the hands of his engineers.

The item creation/acquisition rules in 3rd Edition are dumb as hell because they don't follow any sort of balance scheme and depend on an environment that is completely deaf to the needs of story or game balance. But I don't agree with the idea that player-created equipment has to go--because while 3rd Edition item acquisition rules are unbalanced, at least they're versatile and encourage player input.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

power_word_wedgie at [unixtime wrote:1143294750[/unixtime]]Do you have any sales figures to back this one up with, either with d20 segment or edition 3.5 declining in sales? Or even with what qualifies for "in droves." I only note that since systems like Traveller d20, BESM d20, and Stargate d20 never ever took off in my area. The only game that I know that took off here was D20 Modern.

You're referring to 'personal experience' - I on the other hand worked at several retail outlets and actually paid attention to the industry news.

You want actual numbers, you fork over the cash. That's what I get paid to tell people. I'm sorry, but I have to not do freebies here.

Say 'hi' to Bruce at http://MMOGchart.com/!
[size=-5](Maybe he'll give me that a bonus.)[/size]

I always hate when guys (like at GDC) give that as an answer, but it's annoyingly true.

Anyhow, my point is that D&D is great - except it gives no tools to the DM to help them balance their own content. There was alot of pre-made stuff and even the 3.0 core rules showed what damage was supposed to be balance - but 3.5 removed all that.

Which leaves us no better than cops and robbers while we discuss if the blahblah is balanced.

-Crissa
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1143334241[/unixtime]]
While in Elric, Rocketeer's, and James Bond's case their equipment, even signature weapons come to them at the whim of a plot, it's very important for Aladdin, MacGuyver, and Iron Man to have a definite set of rules which detail how they get the exact equipment they want; otherwise Aladdin's genie is in control of his wishes, MacGuyver has to stock up equipment at the beginning of the adventure or find things in neat little packages along the way, and Iron Man would basically be some guy whose life is in the hands of his engineers.

I can agree with you that some characters have item creation as a major schtick.

In general, dynamic gadgeteer characters like Macgyver are really tough to do in RPGs in my experience. Because half of something like that happens to be what supplies are on hand, and the other half tends to be your skill. In a way Macgyver's abilities are a sort of special form of the search skill that lets him "find" objects in his environment to make more complex devices. I'm not really sure how you adequately represent that in an RPG.

Ironman's suit would seem to be solely signature equipment, since he doesn't exactly mass produce them. So you'd probably handle that through some kind of PrC or feat that hands out a signature item, as opposed to a true item creation system. Remember that you probably don't want the game mass producing ironman suits either, so it's ok to have the intricacies of iron man's suit creation be as esoteric as creating the One Ring. It's just that in this case a PC is making it as opposed to an NPC. But in both cases you can't simply make another one because creation of that item is a one time effect to further the story.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Crissa: What you had linked was pretty much focus on MMOG, and IMHO that is a stretch from the RPGS books. Frankly, I'm tired of MMOG and am buying D&D books. I also found a PDF market comparison, but PDF is only taking a small cross-section of the market as well. So far, on the internet, the best one that I have found has been >HERE<. From the jist of the argument, d20 is holding steady, D&D may have a stranglehold of the industry (and then they may not), and basically most new games are retread and licensed product lines. Yes, the freelance market is tight, but the ones that can still work full-time pretty much do so through WotC. That doesn't sound like D&D and D20 Modern is dying - if WotC products weren't selling then they wouldn't be the ones hiring free-lance writers. Most new games become darlings of the industry, and then fade to obscurity after a year or two.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

RC wrote:You mix up railroading with power limitations.

No, you just did that.

I just pointed out that you just essentially ruled out vast swathes of potential strategies/stories for the players to contribute to.

The GM sets up the LOTR adventure, Big bad dude, nasty rings, army of evil, end of the world is nigh.

Thats his contribution.

The players contribution are the actions their characters take to avert this nigh world ending stuff.

You are essentially saying to the characters there... NO you can't try and take the fight to or assassinate big bad you MUST sneak up and drop the doohicky in the voodoo thingamabob, NO you can't make or find a more powerful doohicky, you MUST sneak up and drop your existing GM fiat doohicky in the voodoo thingamabob, NO you can't find or make your own doohicky eating voodoo thingamabob, you MUST sneak up and drop the doohicky in the existing voodoo thingamabob and go there via the preset path set before you, etc...

These aren't "and we snap our fingers and destroy the world" actions by the players. These are real dramatically and contextually viable alternate lines of strategy/plot to underpin whole story archs if not campaigns. But without rules to support them its either cops and robbers or outright "NO NO NO!" from the GM.

Meaning the GM now sets the challenge AND selects the players strategy to counter that challenge for them, leaving the players nothing but to contribute to the story but minute actions they may choose in existing social or combat encounters within the strick RAILROADING into the existing plot of a BOOK that you are FORCING them to play out.

Thats like totally the definition of RAIL ROADING.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

In general, dynamic gadgeteer characters like Macgyver are really tough to do in RPGs in my experience. Because half of something like that happens to be what supplies are on hand, and the other half tends to be your skill. In a way Macgyver's abilities are a sort of special form of the search skill that lets him "find" objects in his environment to make more complex devices. I'm not really sure how you adequately represent that in an RPG.

It's not really that hard. Basically you have a chart detailing about the most complex gadgets you can make--at the bottom of the chart is simple things like spears and tents and in the middle you get flashlights and zip guns and at the top you're able to make a vehicle out of junkyard parts or upgrade your computer. And of course you get bonuses to your check depending on what parts you have on hand--if you're in a laboratory you get a pretty hefty bonus but if you're in the desert and haven't made any search checks then you might not be able to make one at all.

In fact, Shadowrun 4 has the exact same system I'm describing. While item acquisition may in that game be unbalanced item creation (weirdly enough) is not.

Ironman's suit would seem to be solely signature equipment, since he doesn't exactly mass produce them. So you'd probably handle that through some kind of PrC or feat that hands out a signature item, as opposed to a true item creation system. Remember that you probably don't want the game mass producing ironman suits either, so it's ok to have the intricacies of iron man's suit creation be as esoteric as creating the One Ring. It's just that in this case a PC is making it as opposed to an NPC. But in both cases you can't simply make another one because creation of that item is a one time effect to further the story.

If you can name me Iron Man's signature weapons right now, I'll give you a cookie.

The thing is, you can't! Iron Man is unique among superheroes in that he is constantly updating or altering his arsenal. Since Tony Stark is a genius, he can research repulser lasers or light shields or what the fuck ever at the drop of a hat. But Iron Man has a limited amount of what he can put in his arsenal. If he's fighting for some stupid reason Mr. Fantastic then he can't count on his machine gun wrists and needs to update or change it or research a better gun. And you are also going to need a system ahead of time that details what he can put in his suit, how much it costs, how long it takes, whatever.

Otherwise, if you try to ad hoc it, you'll end up with situations where Iron Man has access to attack and defense modes the player doesn't know he has--or worse, he won't have things the player is counting on.

It's the same reason why a bag of tricks has a limited range of animals you can pull from. It's okay if Superman or Green Lantern aren't aware of the full extent of their powers but not having meticulous control over his own 'superpower' pretty much destroys everything cool about the character.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

power_word_wedgie at [unixtime wrote:1143349830[/unixtime]]Crissa: What you had linked was pretty much focus on MMOG, and IMHO that is a stretch from the RPGS books.

Yeah.

Because... Umm. No, it wasn't anything to do with your question. That information is already paid for. It was also who I've been working for very hard the last week.

You have no sense of humor.

-Crissa
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1143356230[/unixtime]]
You are essentially saying to the characters there... NO you can't try and take the fight to or assassinate big bad you MUST sneak up and drop the doohicky in the voodoo thingamabob, NO you can't make or find a more powerful doohicky, you MUST sneak up and drop your existing GM fiat doohicky in the voodoo thingamabob, NO you can't find or make your own doohicky eating voodoo thingamabob, you MUST sneak up and drop the doohicky in the existing voodoo thingamabob and go there via the preset path set before you, etc...

No you don't. Railroading is utterly forcing the PCs to make the choice you want them to. You can have a series of bad choices and a good choice and it's not railroading. In an LotR campaign, you sure as hell can kick the door down to Mordor if you want and try to charge thorough. You could take your army through Shelob's tunnels and try to get to Mordor that way. Maybe you'd rather not try to destroy the ring at all and make a stand in Minas Tirith, fortifying the city with help from the elves. These strategies may not actually work but you can try them. So long as the DM lets you try these things, it's not railroading.

It's only railroading if you decide to try something and the DM says "you can't because my plot wants you to do X". It's certainly ok to say "you can't because you're not powerful enough."

You seem upset becuase you can't succeed through multiple paths and that's power limitation not railroading.

Anti-railroading is about allowing bad choices as well as good ones.

These aren't "and we snap our fingers and destroy the world" actions by the players. These are real dramatically and contextually viable alternate lines of strategy/plot to underpin whole story archs if not campaigns. But without rules to support them its either cops and robbers or outright "NO NO NO!" from the GM.

What is alternate strategy to you may well be a destroy the world action in some storylines. It all depends on what kind of story you want to tell. If your heroes are master artificers then creating your own ring may well be an option. If your heroes consist of mostly fighters, then making a ring doesn't really make much sense and ends up hurting your story. It turns into the story of Gandalf in a lab as opposed to the fellowship of the Ring.

As for trying to go brute force instead of stealth, you're perfectly ok trying that. Given the opposition, it may be a stupid choice, but there's no one saying "hey you can't do this, it's not in the plot."

You want to take your fellowship and try to assault the gates of Mordor directly? Go for it. You want to screw Helm's deep, and let it fall? Go for it. Nobody's stopping you. It's your choice, you're the PCs.

RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1143357289[/unixtime]]
It's not really that hard. Basically you have a chart detailing about the most complex gadgets you can make--at the bottom of the chart is simple things like spears and tents and in the middle you get flashlights and zip guns and at the top you're able to make a vehicle out of junkyard parts or upgrade your computer. And of course you get bonuses to your check depending on what parts you have on hand--if you're in a laboratory you get a pretty hefty bonus but if you're in the desert and haven't made any search checks then you might not be able to make one at all.

In fact, Shadowrun 4 has the exact same system I'm describing. While item acquisition may in that game be unbalanced item creation (weirdly enough) is not.

Well, I consider Macgyvering to be muhc different from laboratory construction. Macgyvering seems more or less to be items that serve the plot. In many cases they're stuff that indirectly is the same as the DM just placing a bomb somewhere. But Macgyver finds bomb parts instead of a bomb, because it's in Macgyver's cool paradigm to build the stuff. But adventure design wise, it seems like the storyteller just decided he wanted to provide the protagonist with a bomb for that adventure. The fact that Macgyver makes it out of bamboo and swampgas just makes it cooler than him just finding one and fits into Macgyver's paradigm. Basically it makes the adventure more fun for the PC and the DM but is fundamentally no different from the DM just placing down a bomb in room A. But keep in mind that Macgyver is creating things that pretty much already exist in the game and likely already have rules covering them.

Making something in a lab is another story. That's where you start really needing rules. Though the main problem you run into is that these are new inventions, so you really can't have concrete rules for them. If you did, then they wouldn't be something new.

You can have rules for upgrading existing devices, like getting a more accurate gun or something. But as far as creating something from scratch, well then you're entering new ground and there's just no way to have rules that can cover all the crap someone is going to want to make. Sometimes the DM is going to allow them and sometimes he won't, but every new invention is going to take careful thought. Like in real life, new inventions can break the balance of power in a world and you just can't have any system that's going to take all those factors into consideration.

The thing is, you can't! Iron Man is unique among superheroes in that he is constantly updating or altering his arsenal. Since Tony Stark is a genius, he can research repulser lasers or light shields or what the fvck ever at the drop of a hat. But Iron Man has a limited amount of what he can put in his arsenal. If he's fighting for some stupid reason Mr. Fantastic then he can't count on his machine gun wrists and needs to update or change it or research a better gun. And you are also going to need a system ahead of time that details what he can put in his suit, how much it costs, how long it takes, whatever.

The problem is that guys like this are hard to balance, real hard. Basically they end up like D&D wizards are where you've got a bunch of tradeable "slots" that you swap in and out for different gadgets between adventures.

In the comic book world, characters like this pretty much design things "beyond the rules" all the time, and that's problematic in an RPG. The writer decides, Iron man needs a light shield or a better gun, then he makes one. Chances are, that gun didn't even exist in the Marvel universe before the writer just came up with it. And RPG system speaking it probably didn't exist there either. Generally speaking, comic book "rules" are generally a lot looser even than most fantasy. In comic books, generally every single named NPC is a special case with special powers. Some of these powers are quantifiable, and others wax and wane depending on what the story requires. Hulk's strength can grow to pretty muhc infinity depending on how mad he gets. And Magneto once pretty much screwed with the electromagnetic field of the entire earth. All solely because the plot wanted him to. Superman routinely gains and loses powers from comic to comic, all to fit the story. Comic book rules pretty much amount to "ask the DM" because there aren't any concrete definitions. Everything from baisc physics to superhero powers and magic... This is in fact a feature of the genre.

Now, you can certainly create guidelines to creating dynamic gadgets, like damage caps based on level, and so on, but ultimately this is going to require a lot of DM eyeballing for all but the most common uses of the skill.

Basically you end up just using spell creation everytime you make a new gadget.

Though really, this sort of stuff tends to go beyond the fantasy genre and into superhero genre exclusively, so I'm not really sure if we need to deal with it much in a heroic fantasy game. In D&D terms, every superhero is pretty much going to have their own custom class (it's pretty much why superhero RPGs tend to be point based, because they vary so much).

I don't think we even really want to worry too much about ironman for a fantasy RPG. About as complex as we'll likely get is tinker gnomes.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Ok, well then I understand why you can't get the sale figures or at least display them. Can you at least show any of the industry news that you're basing your conclusion? The only reason why I note this is because the link that I had listed comes from a person that has also "paid attention to industry news."

As for working at various retail outlets, basically all that means is that we know what is happening in our specific town and little more. I know that I noted this data ealier, but all I mean to infer from my experiences at my FLGS is only that.

Maybe in major metropolitian areas, some of the smaller games have more of a niche, but it the town live in (roughly the populations is around 300,000) and smaller, the interest in the smaller games drops through the floor since you'll never find a group to play it with. Either it is D&D, D20 Modern, or nothing.
Modesitt
Journeyman

Post by Modesitt »

Say 'hi' to Bruce at http://MMOGchart.com/

I realize this is off-topic...

But I must say it. Bruce LIES. A lot.

I've many friends in the MMOG industry. The numbers they have been able to find out simply do not fit what Bruce claims. Also, Bruce famously invested in WW2OL and would stalk around forums like He Who Must Not Be Named, defending it and all of his other stocks like a rabid wombat. It would be totally in character for him to do all of this for the sole purpose of boosting his own stock prices. Finally, Bruce is a world-class asshole and you shouldn't ever give him money or attention. In one community, we followed in the steps of Boycott and made his name a word.

What it refers to is his aggravating posting style. He will quote and respond to every single line you write, breaking up every sentence into its own quote or even breaking up sentences into smaller pieces. Example of how SirBruce would post:
Ok, well then I understand why

No you don't, you're just an idiot who thinks he does.
you can't get the sale figures or at least display them.

Yes I can, as I just did.
Can you at least show any of the industry news that you're basing your conclusion?

Secret sources.
The only reason why I note this is because the link that I had listed

Your link is wrong. Your mother was a whore.
comes from a person that has also "paid attention to industry news."

He's wrong and I'm right because I'm smarter than he is.

---

He 'wins' arguments through attrition.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Modesitt, that's what I'm dancing around saying as well, especially when it to the death of D&D. It goes back to the saying, "In God we trust; all others must show data."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Random Casualty wrote: Railroading is utterly forcing the PCs to make the choice you want them to. You can have a series of bad choices and a good choice and it's not railroading. In an LotR campaign, you sure as hell can kick the door down to Mordor if you want and try to charge thorough. You could take your army through Shelob's tunnels and try to get to Mordor that way. Maybe you'd rather not try to destroy the ring at all and make a stand in Minas Tirith, fortifying the city with help from the elves. These strategies may not actually work but you can try them. So long as the DM lets you try these things, it's not railroading.

If a DM allows players to pursue other avenues of accomplishment, but the only one that can succeed is the one that the DM wants, that's still railroading.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Maj says it in one line there. Less than I'd ever manage.

But I'd pick out your statement about master artifacers or fighters and gandalf in a lab...

A) Now we get into the area of the DM picking the players characters as well "Its LOTR, so you get to be Merry, you get to be Pippin... Gandalf of course is a big dick NPC along with Arragon, that elf dude, the dwarf..."

B) Also the DM is determining their advancement "You all become better fighters over time, like in LOTR, and I give you GM fiat items to support that role, as in those dumb magic leaf daggers. No Merry CAN'T become a cross dressing expert seducer/seductress and cat burgular assassin no matter how much time you frickin' invest in it, no you CAN'T seduce that mad druid dude and use his goblin army for good instead of evil... (or kill him by sneaky assassination), And Pippin sure as hell can't start learning the secrets of Druid super powers from the son of Krypton, I mean Gandalf..."

C) There is no damn reason a grand quest to out ring the rings should be all about "Gandalf in a Lab". Good support for making the big fat artefacts means good support, and that means stuff for dudes to go and DO. A rule going "To create Mega Magic Item place Gandalf in a Lab for 3 months with no resources, funds, information, assistance or protection and shake welll" is a crap rule.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Well, I consider Macgyvering to be muhc different from laboratory construction. Macgyvering seems more or less to be items that serve the plot. In many cases they're stuff that indirectly is the same as the DM just placing a bomb somewhere. But Macgyver finds bomb parts instead of a bomb, because it's in Macgyver's cool paradigm to build the stuff. But adventure design wise, it seems like the storyteller just decided he wanted to provide the protagonist with a bomb for that adventure. The fact that Macgyver makes it out of bamboo and swampgas just makes it cooler than him just finding one and fits into Macgyver's paradigm. Basically it makes the adventure more fun for the PC and the DM but is fundamentally no different from the DM just placing down a bomb in room A. But keep in mind that Macgyver is creating things that pretty much already exist in the game and likely already have rules covering them.

On the other hand, if the DM decided that he wanted (or the players wanted) the PCs to blow up a hole in the wall with said bomb to escape the base but Macgyver decided that he wanted to make a device that would destabilize all of the maglocks (and the DM had no idea that he'd try this approach), you definitely need to have rules for how he would make this. Otherwise this increases the need for DM intervention.

Making something in a lab is another story. That's where you start really needing rules. Though the main problem you run into is that these are new inventions, so you really can't have concrete rules for them. If you did, then they wouldn't be something new.

Just because all possible inventions in the game universe have been decided ahead of time by the DM or (more likely) the game system doesn't mean that the PCs and NPCs automatically have or even are aware of these technological limitations; Iron Man keeps getting more advanced as time goes on because Tony Stark's capabilities for robot-building increase. Whether there's a hard limit or not to how badass Iron Man can get is up to the system but there needs to be a system in place that decides whether he can get a lightsaber for his suit or whether he'll just have to settle for lasers--and whether he can get lightsabers in the future or will have to settle for lasers. And how much it costs (in resources, character points, game sessions, whatever) it is to put lightsabers on Iron Man.

Some characters face these kinds of questions like all the time; others more rarely. Take Conan for example. He totally axed the frost giants in the head but broke his sword. Since he's in the wilds and he doesn't trust the blacksmithing abilities of the people around him, he decides to make his own sword. Fortunately for him, crafting swords is definitely within Conan's capabilities. Except that since Conan lives in a world with magic, he has the option of one day obtaining a sword that's more badass than we can imagine. So Conan's at the forge and he wants to make the sweetest sword he can imagine. Can he make a sword that can cut through steel? Can he make a sword that can catch on fire? What if the fire isn't magic but chemically or mechanically assisted? What if he has the assistance of other party members? So on.

There needs to be rules for this kind of thing ahead of time, otherwise every single invention in this game is actually DM fiat; which is fine for characters like Green Lantern and Constantine but blows for characters like Green Arrow and Fayt Leingod.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Maj: In some ways, I don't agree. For example, let's say that the only way that there is access to the BBEG is through a portal. Now the party could take a variety of paths to get to the portal, and the party can gain access through the portal in a variety of ways, but it still is one manner of entrance. After all, a BBEG hide-out isn't going to have 50 entrances to be accomodating to the party. In fact, having several entrances to accomodate any party's whim to approach wouldn't make sense anyways. I wouldn't say that this example would be railroading. Railroading would be if the DM said that travelling 10 feet from the correct road leading to Castle Nasty would just lead to undrawn terrain.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

power_word_wedgie at [unixtime wrote:1143415032[/unixtime]]Maj: In some ways, I don't agree. For example, let's say that the only way that there is access to the BBEG is through a portal. Now the party could take a variety of paths to get to the portal, and the party can gain access through the portal in a variety of ways, but it still is one manner of entrance. After all, a BBEG hide-out isn't going to have 50 entrances to be accomodating to the party. In fact, having several entrances to accomodate any party's whim to approach wouldn't make sense anyways. I wouldn't say that this example would be railroading. Railroading would be if the DM said that travelling 10 feet from the correct road leading to Castle Nasty would just lead to undrawn terrain.

RS's example is railroading because the DM is providing both the problem(defeating Sauron) and the only solution(Destroying the One Ring). That's not even marginally questionable. It's also very different from your example.

In your example, the problem is "Defeating the BBEG". There is no solution. A sub-problem is "getting to the BBEG" which may or may not have solutions other than "going through the portal". If the PCs come up with another way to get in, or even to just deal with the BBEG without entering his lair, and you just flat deny them any chance of success, then you are railroading.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1143411251[/unixtime]]
If a DM allows players to pursue other avenues of accomplishment, but the only one that can succeed is the one that the DM wants, that's still railroading.

I disagree. Railroading is preventing the PCs from telling thier own story. Basically the PCs say "I want to do X" and you say no.

If the PCs decide they're not going to mount Doom, but instead want to try to fortify Gondor and make a big stand at Minas Tirith, they can be going to get the support of the elves, the dwarves and so on, and generally taking actions that support their own battle plan. And then there will inevitably be some big battle at Minas Tirith, and maybe the PCs win and maybe they lose. This is really up to the amount of orcs they're fighting and so on.

But lets say they lose. Now the PCs flee from the sieged city and are now forced to wage guerilla warfare against the enemy's armies. The story continues. And it's a vastly different story than if they tried to melt the ring in mount Doom. But it's still a viable story.

Just because their plan wasn't as successful as another route may have been doesn't mean that it has anything to do with railroading. The PCs have totally altered the storyline based on their actions. Mordor won instead of lost based on their choices. Their actions and inactions have shaped the campaign world. The DM doesn't know if Mordor wins or loses until the PCs make their own choices. That's the exact opposite of railroading.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1143414677[/unixtime]]
On the other hand, if the DM decided that he wanted (or the players wanted) the PCs to blow up a hole in the wall with said bomb to escape the base but Macgyver decided that he wanted to make a device that would destabilize all of the maglocks (and the DM had no idea that he'd try this approach), you definitely need to have rules for how he would make this. Otherwise this increases the need for DM intervention.

Well, the thing with Macgyver style stuff is that Macgyver may not have the necessary tools to overload the maglocks. Ultimately Macgyver constructs stuff from supplies, and those supplies are stuff that exists in the quest itself. Thus I consider it an indirect form of handing out treasure.

Give Macgyver an empty shed and he can't do shit. Give him a nonfunctional chainsaw, a bamboo pole, some rubber bands and a bottle of crazy glue and he can make something.

Just because all possible inventions in the game universe have been decided ahead of time by the DM or (more likely) the game system doesn't mean that the PCs and NPCs automatically have or even are aware of these technological limitations;

Well, that works perfectly fine for weapons. It's alright to have predefined limits and rules for weapon upgrades. That's cool. But if Ironman wants to create some kind of maglock shorting emp gun or something, then you're going to have to dig into custom rules territory.

It works much like a spell creation system. You can have basic framework for common spells. Healing, direct damage, save or die, etc. But sooner or later someone will want to come up with something entirely new, or a radical variation on one of those mentioned choices. And at that point it either becomes DM adjucation or the DM simply saying "no, it isn't in the rules." I personally find the first to be more interesting.

There needs to be rules for this kind of thing ahead of time, otherwise every single invention in this game is actually DM fiat; which is fine for characters like Green Lantern and Constantine but blows for characters like Green Arrow and Fayt Leingod.

Well the easiest thing to do is in fact not have rules for actual item crafting, but have rules for PC power at a given level and let the PCs fill in the flavor. The rules may say you should be doing 1d8+10 damage or so at a given level.

OK cool, but how do you want to do that?

Maybe your character found a magic sword on his latest quest, maybe he forged it, or whatever. It really doesn't matter where it came from or how it got there, only that it's one of your schitcks to have a weapon that does so much damage.

The problem with having forging rules is that you now have to worry about mass production of magic weapons, and that just isn't what happens in comic books and fantasy stories. Conan makes a bad ass sword for himself and Ironman makes a kickass suit, but you don't see him outfitting a team of guys in ironman suits.

The problem with item creation systems is that there's quite simply no way to avoid the "gold in a jar" method. Basically you burn X gold and spend Y time and you make an item. And this allows mass production.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

RC wrote:If the PCs decide they're not going to mount Doom, but instead want to try to fortify Gondor and make a big stand at Minas Tirith, they can be going to get the support of the elves, the dwarves and so on, and generally taking actions that support their own battle plan. And then there will inevitably be some big battle at Minas Tirith, and maybe the PCs win and maybe they lose. This is really up to the amount of orcs they're fighting and so on.

So. Its not railroading.

The assassinate Sauron plan, got a flat out 'NO!'

The uber "other one ring" plan got a flat out 'NO!'

I suspect the "ah screw it, Sauron's not such a bad dude, lets join him" plan probably gets a flat out 'NO!'

But its not railroading, BECAUSE the players can go fight in a full on war as an alternate option to the only other plan of success you offer them. Yeah it LOOKS a lot like the exact same full on war they are forced to fight as part of the original DM certified and backed plan but its TOTALLY not.

And its a bad idea, but you will graciously let them fail at it. And failure or success will be measured NOT by the time, creativity and investment the players and their characters put into making their 2nd option (that looks like the 1st option) story play out.

No, success is measured primarily by how many orcs they face. A factor conveniently entirely at the disposal of the DM's fiat again. I'm just shocked that it turned out that way.

RC wrote:But lets say they lose. Now the PCs flee from the sieged city and are now forced to wage guerilla warfare against the enemy's armies. The story continues. And it's a vastly different story than if they tried to melt the ring in mount Doom. But it's still a viable story.

But lets say they inevitably lose because the petulant DM annoyed that they went with the hole not going to preset point A with preset item 1 plan throws orcs at them until they lose and calls it story continuity.

Then you calmly RAILROAD them into a whole new depressing doomed guerilla warfare story they also never wanted.

Totally viable story there, of course now they REALLY can't win, but thats viable...

...or can they win, they have no armies but maybe if they made a BETTER ring... uh, no wait, not allowed...

...wait they could muster their limited forces and assassinate Sauron... no wait, not allowed...

Perhaps the DM in his infinite wisdom on orc numbers and non railroading story options can advise us on what to do next...

"What should we do now king of all options and their resolution?"

"Well Frodo still has the Dohicky, you could sneak up to the voodoo thingmabob and throw it in".

Dice will be thrown. Not so promising GMing careers will end.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1143425688[/unixtime]]
So. Its not railroading.

The assassinate Sauron plan, got a flat out 'NO!'

The uber "other one ring" plan got a flat out 'NO!'

This is because of lack of means, not because of railroading.

Do you claim railroading when your 1st level character finds out he can't kill Manshoon or create an artifact capable of killing him? I think not. Come on lets be realistic here. Sometimes there are forces more powerful than you.

I suspect the "ah screw it, Sauron's not such a bad dude, lets join him" plan probably gets a flat out 'NO!'

Actually this one might be kinda viable, but probably doesn't happen because your PCs are playing heroes and Sauron is the epitome of evil. But in some game sthis could happen. Doesn't really sound like it'd be good roleplaying though unless the PCs started out somewhat morally ambiguous.

But lets say they inevitably lose because the petulant DM annoyed that they went with the hole not going to preset point A with preset item 1 plan throws orcs at them until they lose and calls it story continuity.

It has nothing to do with the DM being "annoyed". It has to do wtih the DM not changing around the campaign world to put on kid gloves for PCs who just can't stand to lose.

If your characters decide to take on a great wyrm it doesn't suddenly turn into a hatchling because the PCs can't hack it and made a stupid choice. If it did, then THAT would be railroading.

You're proposing that the DM railroad the PCs to victory regardless of what they choose. Even if their plan is outright stupid, you want the PCs to succeed... there's the railroading for you. You're the heroes, so you win no matter what you choose. No matter what crack ass plan you pick out of your hat, you'll always win, even if your plan involves Aragon running around in his underwear trying to seduce all the female orcs or involves abilities beyond what your characters can do like creating a better artifact than the lord of all evil on a moments notice. What you are proposing is in fact railroading.

Totally viable story there, of course now they REALLY can't win, but thats viable...

Who ever said the PCs need to be able to "win" all the time? You can have a perfectly ok storyline based off of partial victories against huge monolithic opponents. Lets face it, this is what the entire game of Shadowrun is based on. Your runners aren't going to drastically change the world and bring down the corps. It just isn't going to happen. Sure you may win a guerilla war now and then, and throw a wrench in their plans, but ultimately they're bigger than you are, and you accept it. It doesn't mean the storyline sucks because you can't achieve total victory and rule the world.

You can still have a really cool story based around the human resistance after the dark lord won the War of the Ring. In fact it'll probably be more viable than running LotR as a campaign. As written LotR is like one little one shot quest, where as this could actually be a full blown campaign, and a fun campaign at that.
Aycarus
Journeyman

Post by Aycarus »

PhoneLobster at [unixtime wrote:1143425688[/unixtime]]
So. Its not railroading.

Well, no. It's not railroading because the characters can still do whatever they want to do. The DM is obliged to react to the situation in a realistic manner (well, that's my preference at least). Of course, as the master of the world, it is his obligation to determine what a "realistic" reaction actually is.

If the players show a substantial amount of creativity and actually compose a plan that would realistically be able to defeat Sauron without following the standard LotR plot, there's no reason they can't. However, much like any choose your own adventure book, some choices will inevitably lead to a "less preferrable ending." And yes, the DM does have the power to determine when a "less preferrable ending" occurs, because, well... he or she is the DM. He is in charge of telling the story, not of boosting the collective party ego.

Part of the fun of the game is determining the resolution to the problem with the limitations at hand. If you simply do not have somebody to forge a new ring (or the good of some pure-hearted god to pour into it), then you need to come up with a new solution.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

RC wrote:You're proposing that the DM railroad the PCs to victory regardless of what they choose. Even if their plan is outright stupid, you want the PCs to succeed... there's the railroading for you. You're the heroes, so you win no matter what you choose. No matter what crack ass plan you pick out of your hat, you'll always win, even if your plan involves Aragon running around in his underwear trying to seduce all the female orcs or involves abilities beyond what your characters can do like creating a better artifact than the lord of all evil on a moments notice. What you are proposing is in fact railroading.

Bullshit.

They shouldn't always win at everything regardless.

The characters should always win at (or more accurately DO) what their players invest heavily in doing.

If they invest heavily enough in defeating the dark lord by a particular strategy then it should damn well succeed.

The players didn't come along and spend countless precious hours of their lives plotting, planning, describing and rolling dice to have you say to them at the last minute... "Well look you guys REALLY tried your hardest to put together a better army than Sauron, and you probably achieved the best you possibly could after our five months of campaigning, but in the end there are just too many orcs... Why? Because I say there are too many orcs...".

Now if Arragon and the others spend five of the players gaming months chasing female orcs as serial romantic interests then OK, maybe they don't win the 'war of the ring'. And heck, I suspect they don't care. But they sure as hell better win the 'war of the she orcs' because they just invested five months in doing just that. And I suspect that will make that particularly eccentric group of players happy.

But thats a bit fvcking different to spending five gaming months sitting down at the table plotting a grand decapitation and assassination strategy and working night after night to bring it to fruition only to have some smarmy git tell you at the end "Too bad, he kills your assassins, he kills you, he rules the world in eternal darkness, because the bad guy happens to be GOD, you chose not to throw the doohicky in the voodoo thingamabob so you lost, you bunch of losers"