Warhammer 40K roleplaying system ideas

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Warhammer 40K roleplaying system ideas

Post by Koumei »

Ok, a number of us here like Warhammer 40K. I also hear rumours that we like a bit of roleplaying here. Now, given the various conversions (like the awesome Pokemon SAME idea), I thought it might be time to get a 40K thing worked out.

Possibilities:

1. d20. Everyone has access to the basic system, and it allows for the simple approach of adding classes, races, feats and all that.
Problems: some people are sick of D&D, and the process could take at least 100 years.

2. SAME. It looks like it's pretty simple, and races would largely not require pages full of stat adjustments. More a case of "You're an ork? Great, make your Strength (or was it Stamina?) high."
Problems: I'm not sure if it's finished, and how exact things in it would work.

3. Modify Shadowrun a little bit. Apparently, a lot of the stuff is there for the tweaking.
Problems: I don't have the Shadowrun stuff, for a start.

4. Make up something new, possibly using the base stat system of Warhammer (Strength, Toughness, Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill and all the rest) and figuring out the numbers and mechanics afterwards.
Problems: Probably only laziness or figuring out where to start.

So, ideas?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
cthulhu
Duke

Re: Warhammer 40K roleplaying system ideas

Post by cthulhu »

I've never actually read the rules, but how well does 'inquistor' stack up as rules for an RPG?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I bought the original Inquisitor rules when it was first released in Australia (and as far as I can tell, it didn't enjoy much success), but it's a bit iffy.

Character creation is... odd. The dice rolling could be totally ignored, seeing as everything is valued in points after creation - the only real limits are "If you are this type of character, you're allowed to have any gear up to this level", vague stat ranges for different character types, a few power restrictions (ie no Regeneration if you're not a Daemon, space marine or whatever) and the final point value.

Seriously, after making your character, you figure out how many points they're worth, and that determines their power level.

In play, it works well enough for a tactical wargame - everyone rocks up on the scene and you spend a few hours running a single battle. For a roleplaying game, it's somewhat undesirable - no rules for anything that doesn't involve stabbing people in the face (some could argue that's all you need, but the Geneseed game I played enjoyed a lot of other stuff, with Intimidate playing a big role), and you wouldn't want a single skirmish to take several hours.

So it could be worked with (if I managed to find my rulebook), but would definitely need work.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

They're making an actual 40k RPG, but it doesn't come out for a while.

But for Warhammer, you actually want d20. Warhammer is heroic in the Greek sense, only it's in space.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, it is pretty high-power heroic, aside from some of the smaller-scale stuff (hiveworld clan fighting (see: Necromunda)) which can just be simulated with lower levels or, in the case of Necromunda, just playing Necromunda.

Hmm, considering we may have a long time to wait and the game may or may not suck tremendously, perhaps I should try digging up the old Geneseed stuff and balancing it. Or just start a project here to make it afresh.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Hell, even the some of the guys in necromunda have power armoured suits. And the guys that run around with no armour except a tight pair of pants can kill them.

That said, the sort of gritty gothic feel to the world makes me think you could do it quite well with shadowrun. There are some issues though.

Archtype wise we have

Psi type people: Ranges from Astropaths to Grey Knights to Inquistors

Space marines/assassins/other Imperial Genetic Engineering Experiments

Regular dudes who range between just some guy, to veteran guardsmen from deathworlds and eldar exarchs

Techpriest style people.

To my surprise

A) Works pretty well. If you ignore the concept of essence (grey knights can be badass psykers despite being stuffed full of marine gear) and prevent people from summoning spirits (because spirits are the work of the devil/chaos) the magic fits pretty well. In the novels inquistors can see peoples auras with a kind of warp sight, and the astropaths can still see things despite being blind.

The huge combat magics people can throw around is because they are multi grade initaties with high starting magic scores!

B) Works as written - a spacemarine is functionally identical to a bio-sammie to my mind except he has awesome armour and probably no attribute maximums. The main reason spacemarines are goddamn awesome beyond having masses of enhancement no-one else does is they can multiple initative passes and other people don't.

C) Sort of works. Veteran guardsman are fine, just humans with lots of points, but eldar exarchs don't. Despite not being augemented, an eldar exarch can run around with a big missle launcher and still snap a space marine in hand to hand combat. Maybe eldars are all adepts (which would actually nicely explain the tastey to slaanesh thing) and exarchs have got that magic score up.

Orks.. have big natural boosts body & Strength - maybe they are best thought of mechanically as a shadowrun troll, possibly with more natural armour. Then they work pretty well and spacemarines can kill them by the dozen.

D) This kinda works in that techpriests are basically the only people who can get datajacks (and they can) so you ca throw down some sort of glorified rigger here, but it;s stretching it a bit.

Maybe you are right to go to greek style heroics.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, no harm in at least starting a project and seeing how well it works. I'm going to pick a somewhat random point to start: Skills.

The reason is that it can use the classic ability scores, and most things can still probably work the same (BAB, HP, saves etc), while classes and races will be referring to skills.

Skills that remain basically the same as usual:
Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Intimidate, Jump, Perform, Sense Motive, Swim

Skills that are new, or renamed:
Acrobatics (Balance/Tumble)
First Aid (Heal, except useful. Perhaps restoring a few HP)
Knowledge (Aliens, Chaos, Imperium, Law, Psykic, Warp)
Language (the same, except different languages)
Notice (Spot/Listen/Search)
Operate Machinery (Open Lock, Disable Device, Abuse Magic Device and all of those. Can be used to make temporary repairs, while Craft does a proper job.)
Persuade (Bluff/Diplomancy)
Pilot (like Ride, but with vehicles. Squigs would count here too, I suppose. Do you even get Squigs in space?)
Profession (works like a Language, can double-up for Mastery. See: Dungeonomicon)
Stealth (Hide/Move Silently/Sleight of hand)

Does that seem more or less complete? Very small start, I know, but still...
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

There more I think about it, the more I like shadowrun - it even supports everything you just threw down!

And i've worked out how tech priests can rig to - sevitors, as they are actually called gun drones or archeoflagellants or whatever else. So instead of rigging they are the only people that can actually use and maintain drones, which is a real superpower all of it's own.

Edit: I'll get home and write some rules tonight.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Are these the kind of rules that I won't need to buy Shadowrun core rules for? Or is it more of a supplement style conversion.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

If you want to use d20 (which I think you should, since a Space Marine is supposed to kill like 10 guardsmen at once and Abaddon doesn't care about them no matter how many there are) then here's what you do.

The playable races are Human, Ork, Eldar, Tau, and Space Marine. Dark Eldar and Chaos Marines are unplayable, but exist as enemies who have PC-level classes; Tyranids are just monsters, and Necrons are soulless servants of the C'tan.

Humans have factions they can belong to, which dictate their classes. You can be a Rogue Trader, a member of the Inquisition, one of the Adeptus Mechanicus, or a Psyker.

Orks only have one class they can be, but later they can take a prestige class to become something like a Stormboy or Big Mek, or just continue on and be a Nob. This starts at level 5, and lasts 10 levels; Orks who get to level 15 can take their final classes, like Warboss. In fact, if you get to level 15, you're pretty much stuck being a Warboss. However, all the Ork classes do nothing more than give you a laundry list of abilities to choose from, so they're still the most customizable despite all following the same paths.

Eldar have Paths which last 10 levels, though at level 5 they can access the Temples and become something like a Warlock or a Striking Scorpion. The Paths are the Path of the Warrior and the Path of the Seer. The Seers can be Warlocks and eventually Farseers (with something in between), and the Warriors start as Dire Avengers, then one of the Aspect Warriors, and then become either an Exarch or an Autarch.

You could also be a Harlequin, which has you either be a Harlequin and then a Troupe Master, a Shadowseer, or a Death Jester.

Tau have their four castes, which dictate their position. You can start as a Fire Warrior, Earth Scientist, Air Scout, or Water Diplomat. From there you can get your nifty suits and weapons or something.

Space Marines start you off as a Scout, and then you become a real Space Marine at the time that your friends are Aspect Warriors or Nobz. You can eventually aspire to be a Chaplain, Librarian, or Terminator, or you can continue being a badass Space Marine Veteran and later Captain.

Chaos has Chaos Marines, who can go on to be Chosen and then Terminators, or choose a path like Fast Attack, Heavy Support, or Cult, where they can be Raptors or Havocs or Khorne Berzerkers.

I don't know about Dark Eldar because no one plays them.
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

My sister played Dark Eldar, but that's probably because I bought the 40K box set (I started collecting when that edition was released in Australia - I asked the store guys about the hobby like a fortnight before that) and it provided a few units for Space Marines and Dark Eldar.

That basic set-up looks good. I was thinking of having Stunties, Short-asses and Ogryn as other Imp Guard races, but then I realised that Ogryn are a bit stupid to be playable (they can't even load guns, for instance), and no-one cares about the Races of Short.

Sounds good. I think I'll actually begin work on these. At least, the races/classes I know jack-shit about. I mean, for Eldar, I know there are space elves, the giant monster Avatar, probably something inbetween, and random hovering plasma craft. Likewise, Necrons consist of robots, and 'nids are "steal units from the Zerg, seeing as they're apparently based off the 'nids". Tau, I have no idea.

But plenty of Imperial stuff, orks and chaos can be done, which provides the grounds for a good start.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Eldar classes!

Base Classes

Dire Avenger (Path of the Warrior)-10 levels

Warlock (Path of the Seer)-10 levels

Harlequin-20 levels (10 levels of Troupe Master)

Prestige Classes

Striking Scorpion-10 levels (5 levels of Exarch)

Howling Banshee-10 levels (5 levels of Exarch)

Fire Dragon-10 levels (5 levels of Exarch)

Dark Reaper-10 levels (5 levels of Exarch)

Warp Spider-10 levels (5 levels of Exarch)

Swooping Hawk-10 levels (5 levels of Exarch)

Autarch-10 levels

Farseer-10 levels

Shadowseer-10 levels

Death Jester-10 levels

So you have the basic Aspect Warrior as a 6th level character with the build Dire Avenger 5/Aspect Warrior 1. Taking more than 5 levels of any Aspect Warrior class "traps" you in that path and makes you into an Exarch, and an Exarch can only take levels in his Aspect and in Dire Avenger. So if you want to be a proper Autarch you could go Dire Avenger 5/Aspect Warrior 5/Autarch 10, and if you want to be a Howling Banshee Exarch you go Dire Avenger 10/Howling Banshee 10.

The Shadowseer and Death Jester classes require 5 levels in Harlequin, so you could be a Harlequin 10/Shadowseer 10 (or Harlequin 5/Shadowseer 10/Farseer 5 if you want to be a better Psyker), but you aren't considered a Troupe Master until you have 11 levels in Harlequin.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Ok, here we have a start. First-up, your race (or in some cases, racial "path") determines what classes you can start off accessing. These classes will provide "Class Access" at certain levels for Advanced/Prestige Classes. For Advanced Classes, you access them by gaining the feature. For Prestige Classes, you access them either by gaining the feature or by meeting all the requirements.

A note on Feats: RoW feats for the win. I'll be adding more, including various racial feats, [Psykic] feats and [Background] feats, which have the regular "1st level only" thing.

Note that, even if you are given the option to multiclass into a class offered by another faction etc. (such as from Psyker to Assassin), you still remain in your original faction, so do not gain new Faction benefits or lose your old ones.

RACES:

Humans:
Bonus Feat: Any you qualify for
Bonus Skill Points (4 at first level, 1 at every level thereafter)
Faction (Determines beginning classes available)

Space Marines:
Ability Scores: +2 Con
Bonus Feat: Iron Will
Chapter: Every Space Marine must belong to a Chapter.
Class Access: Scout Marine

Orks:
Ability Scores: +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis
Bite attack 1d8
Bonus Feat: Great Fortitude
Skills: +4 on Operate Machinery checks to activate broken/unknown machinery
Class Access: Ork

Craftworld Eldar:
Ability Scores: +2 Dex, -2 Con
Bonus Feat: Lightning Reflexes
Skills: 1 Bonus Profession and 1 Bonus Language
Path (determines beginning class available)

((Do Eldar still have that "We're over 9,000 years old and spend a portion of our life doing a bit of everything" aspect? That's why I gave them the Profession and Language. Because they study random crap.))

FACTIONS:

Inquisition:
Bonus Feat: Iron Will
Skill Bonuses: +2 to Intimidate, Sense Motive, Persuade and Know: Imperium
Class Access: Inquisitor

Adeptus Mechanicus:
???

Psyker:
Bonus Feat: any [Psykic]
Skill Bonuses: +3 to Concentration and Know: Psykic
Class Access: Psyker
(may multiclass into Inquisitor at 6+)

Officio Assassinorum:
Bonus Feat: any [Combat]
Skill Bonuses: +3 to Stealth and Notice
Class Access: Assassin

Freelancer:
Bonus Feat: any [Background]
Skill Bonuses: +2 to any three skills
Class Access: Rogue Trader and Ganger
(may multiclass freely between these)

Imperial Guard: (NPC Faction)
Bonus Feat: none, instead gain a +1 to hit on all attacks. At your option, you may trade any other feats for a +1 to hit on all attacks.
Skill Bonuses: +3 to Acrobatics and Know: Law
Class Access: Imperial Guard (NPC class)

CHAPTERS:

Blood Angels:
Skill Bonuses: +2 to Intimidate and Jump
Special: Gain "Blitz" as a bonus feat

(Justification: the Blood Rage thing they have going)

Space Wolves:
Skill Bonuses: +2 to First Aid and Notice
Special: Gain "Sniper" as a bonus feat

(Justification: shooting through snow)

Dark Angels:
Skill Bonuses: +2 to Persuade and Pilot
Special: You gain sneak attack, dealing an extra 2 damage per level on any attack against a flat-footed or flanked foe who is subject to critical hits.

(Justification: they seem a little sneakier?)

Salamanders:
Skill Bonuses: +2 to Concentration and Notice
Special: You gain Resistance to Fire and Heat equal to your level multiplied by 5. At level 20 this becomes Immunity.

(Justification: Fire)

Black Templars:
Skill Bonuses: +2 to Know: Imperium and Operate Machinery
Special: Once per 5 rounds you may swear an oath against an opponent as a Swift action, dealing +2 damage/level against them on any successful attacks for the following five rounds.

(Justification: the whole "I take a vow!" thing)

PATHS:

Seer:
Class Access: Warlock
Benefit: Gain any [Psykic] feat as a bonus feat.

Warrior:
Class Access: Dire Avenger
Benefit: Your base speed increases by 10 feet. At tenth level it increases by another 10 feet.

Harlequin:
Class Access: Harlequin
Benefit: ??? (What do these guys do, CeilingCat?)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

A few Base Classes.

Scout Marine:

Although you can't remain a Scout Marine forever, it is the starting point for all Space Marines and leads on to you either becoming a full marine or staying in a bit longer to become a Veteran Marine.

Hit Die: d8
Weapon Proficiencies: All Simple and (Imperial) Martial
Armour Proficiencies: All Light and Medium
Skill Points per Level: 6+Int
Base Attack Bonus: Good
Saving Throws: Good Fortitude and Reflex, Poor Will

Code: Select all

[br]Level:  Benefit:[br]01      +1 Natural Armour, Sneak Attack 1d6[br]02      +2 Strength, Bonus Feat [Combat][br]03      +1 Natural Armour, Sneak Attack 2d6[br]04      +2 Constitution, Powerful Build[br]05      Class Access: Space Marine, +1 Natural Armour, Sneak Attack 3d6[br]06      +2 Dexterity, Bonus Feat: Sniper[br]07      +1 Natural Armour, Camouflage (10% Concealment), Sneak Attack 4d6[br]08      Bonus Feat [Combat], Camouflage (20% Concealment)[br]09      +1 Natural Armour, Camouflage (30% Concealment), Sneak Attack 5d6[br]10      Class Access (Veteran), +2 Dexterity, Death Attack (full-round Sneak Attack) d6/level[br]          Camouflage (40% Concealment)[br]

Does this seem good enough? It's a bit odd that all Space Marines will end up with Sneak Attack, but I could just provide an option to trade it all in for other abilities upon becoming a marine. The idea was to give them something decent in those lower levels.

Ork:

Some people say al orks are the same. If you're in the Imperium, that is the correct thing to say, soldier. If you are an ork, that is wrong. But you don't care. You strive to be orkier than the others.

Hit Die: d10
Weapon Proficiencies: All Simple, Martial Melee and (Ork) Martial
Armour Proficiencies: All Light, Medium and Heavy
SKill Points per Level: 4+Int
Base Attack Bonus: Good
Saving Throws: Good Fortitude, Poor Reflex and Will

[br]Level:  Benefit:[br]01      Ability Increase, Garbage Guts (immune to ingested poisons,[br]          gain nutrition from anything), Rage +1d6[br]02      Natural Armour +1, Fast Healing 1, Rage +2d6[br]03      Ability Increase, Damage Reduction/- (level/2)[br]04      Natural Armour +2, Bonus Feat [Combat/Ork], Bite Enhancement +1[br]05      Class Access (a few), Ability Increase, Rage +3d6[br]06      Natural Armour +3, Nob (Leadership/Command), Bite Enhancement +2[br]07      Ability Increase, Fast Healing 2, Rage +4d6[br]08      Natural Armour +4, Bonus Feat [Combat/Ork][br]09      Ability Increase, Rage +5d6[br]10      Natural Armour +5, Bite Enhncement +3[br]11      Ability Increase, Rage +6d6[br]12      Natural Armour +6, Fast Healing 3, Bonus Feat [Combat/Ork][br]13      Ability Increase, Bite Enhancement +4, Rage +7d6[br]14      Class Access (Warboss), Natural Armour +7[br]15      Ability Increase, Upholder of the Orky Way (Immune to Nonlethal [br]          Damage, Fast Healing 10), Rage +8d6[br]

Ability Enhancement: Strength and Constitution each increase by 1 point at these levels.

Rage: Works pretty much the same as the RoW Barbarian insofar as you add the Rage dice to all melee damage. Also, Fast Healing doesn't work when raging.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

EDIT: My ideas were much more disorganized and much worse than yours, so deleted.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Now, I know very little about it. But surely Fading Suns covers all the material you need to play a 40K game, the setting and components are fairly similar at a glance.

But then that WOULD beg the question, why the heck don't you just play with the almost certainly far superior alternative crumbling space empire setting of Fading Suns itself.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

'Cause 40k is awesome.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Agreed. 40K for the win. The setting is good, even if it does spark Nerd Rage on nearly any forum (see: /tg/ Better yet, don't).
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

My real question for a d20 converstion is - what does a heavy bolter, bolter and a las gun look like? (and maybe a plasma gun as the other archetypical gun)
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

That's a problem. d20 has never done guns well. However, there's one advantage. Bolters, plasma guns, meltaguns, etc. are really hard to get, so you can actually make "has a bolter" someone's class feature.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah. Essentially, by dint of being Class X Level Y, you are allowed to have Z weapon. So the bad-ass stuff could really do metric, no, Imperial ass-loads of damage.

I'm thinking that most multi-shot weapons can be used to make as many attacks as your BAB allows, rather than have crazy numbers of attacks. If it has a huge RoF, then just kick up the damage to represent the amount of shooting that happens.

For Proficiencies, I was basically thinking:
Simple: Ogryn guns and most melee weapons
Martial: Anything you racially qualify for, and a few of the "anyone can get these" firearms, along with Power Melee weapons.
Exotic: Someone else's racial weapons, and Rune/Force weapons.

Armour will more or less be:
Light: Eldar mesh stuff, and armoured clothing (longcoats etc.)
Medium: Scout Marine armour, a lot of medieval stuff, Imperial flak armour - and I know that stuff is crap.
Heavy: Power armour, Terminator armour

Anything bigger than Terminator armour should really be a vehicle. Also, there are no dumb material types - you cannot go and make a suit of Power Armour out of mithral. Ork armour will assume the guy who welded it together used whatever crap was lying around, and it was all fairly decent. Better stuff can be made as a class feature or whatever, by using the best pieces of tanks and stuff.

Now, to work on more of the classes. I'm looking forward to getting this to a workable level. It feels like something I actually want to do.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Well people can buy bolters, plasma guns and melta guns on the black market in the underhives of necromunda. Which admittedly is a massive industrial complex, and it's 'only' priced at 10 weeks rations, 22 weeks rations and 38 weeks rations respectively, which makes them them actually kinda cheap (thats interpolating from the prices of subsistence living in necromunda for outlaws). The problem is using them, there is a moderate chance that a plasma gun malfunctions in any given fight and vents hot plasma on you if you are a trained and specialist operator.

Psycannons, power armour, on the other the other hand are class features.

so maybe the correct class feature to hand out is 'understands how this shit works' so space marines can use whatever gun they have this week and maintain it, but imperial guardsmen are given lasguns because anyone can get that right even if you bury it in mud and only guys with the heavy weapons expert prestige class (which has like 1-2 levels) know how to use it, while tech priests can actually fix stuff.

Edit: Hell, a bolter is 500 bucks in todays money, which isn't cheap, but sure isn't that pricy. A plasma gun is only a bit over a grand, but a plasma cannon is running closer to 5000 bucks.

What is seriously expensive is body armour which starts at expensive and rapidly progresses to ludicious.

Thats if you go with necromunda prices anyway.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Now to attempt to contribute positively:

Is there any actual need to balance the classes against each other? I mean, it's not like an Ork is going to overshadow and imperial guardsmen, because they are on different teams and will never, ever, work together.

So the only classes that have to be on the same balance scale are:

Imperial/Alien super soldiers -> Here we have dudes in crisis suits, space marines, inquisitors, assassins, exarchs/farseers/whatever, maybe Oygrns?

Regular Guys -> Here we have imperial guardsmen, maybe Oygrns? rogue traders, firewarriors and stuff

Weird shit -> Orks.

Any game where we try to balance being a space marine vs being a guardsmen is just going to come off weird, so maybe we shouldn't bother.

This means we can bust straight out and give Spacemarines awesome stat mods, like, say

+6 STR, +2 Dex, +6 Con, +0 Int, +2 Wis, +0 Chr.

and not have them overshadow a guardsmen who might suck in comparison.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Maybe that's a good idea, Cthulhu. Oh snap, I'm agreeing with what Dread Cthulhu tells me. I must be going mad.

Anyway, I'm thinking that as a class feature, Space Marines and Orks and the like will get big ability score bonuses.

And as for weapons, yeah, they'll have the ability to know what they're doing, and to reliably have access to them, as well as maybe getting random bonuses and stuff. Heck, to the untrained, these weapons don't even need to be that good.

Now, onto the first full 20-level class. Here goes...

Inquisitor:

Although you might only start as an apprentice, even this provides you with enough to be a fearsome individual indeed.

Hit Die: d8
Weapon Proficiencies: All Simple and (Imperial) Martial, plus one Exotic
Armour Proficiencies: All Light and Medium, and Power Armour
Skill Points per Level: 6+Int
Base Attack Bonus: Average
Saving Throws: Poor Fortitude and Reflex, Good Will (oh, the irony!)

[br]Level:  Benefit:[br]01      Aura of Fear (Shaken), Requisition, Uncanny Dodge (never flat-footed)[br]02      Bonus Feat: Any [Combat], Fear is My Ally[br]03      Nightmare (Ps), Darkvision[br]04      Talent, Command (Ps)[br]05      Improved Uncanny Dodge (can't be flanked), Access the Forbidden[br]06      Order, Bonus Feat: Leadership, Aura of Fear (Frightened)[br]07      Phantasmal Killer (Ps)[br]08      Talent, See Invisible (Su)[br]09      Telepathy (Su), Swift Command (Ps)[br]10      Bonus Feat: Any [Leadership][br]11      Aura of Fear (Panicked)[br]12      Talent, Scarier Than Death (Su)[br]13      Detect Thoughts (Ps)[br]14      Immediate Command (Ps)[br]15      Bonus Feat: Any [Leadership][br]16      Aura of Fear (Cowering), Talent[br]17      Exterminatus [br]18      Emperor's Wrath[br]19      True Seeing (Su)[br]20      Bonus Feat: Any [Leadership], Immunity, Aura of Fear (Comatose)[br]

Aura of Fear: Anyone who is not an ally, knows what you are, and is within 30 feet of you must pass a Will save (DC equals 10 plus half your level plus your Charisma modifier). Failure causes the individual to suffer the effect for one minute, at which point they must save again if still within 30 feet of you, or be affected for 24 hours. Other Inquisitors are immune to this effect.

Requisition: In the line of duty, you may make a DC 15 Persuade or Intimidate check to seize any civillian or Imperial-held weapon, vehicle or other piece of equipment with a value equal to or less than your level multiplied by 1,000 credits. Aside from ammunition, you must arrange for it to be returned within a suitable length of time (24 hours in most cases), otherwise you must pay for the item.

Fear is My Ally: You have the Edge against any foe who is suffering from the effects of a Fear effect you generated.

Nightmare: once per minute, you may cast Nightmare as a Psy-like ability on any target suffering from the effects of a Fear effect you generated. The save DC is the same as the Aura of Fear, and the Nightmare takes effect the next time they attempt to sleep.

Darkvision: Your suspicion and paranoia allow you to see even in total darkness, up to your usual visual range.

Talent: at the levels listed, you gain a special ability, chosen from the list below. All benefits are retroactive and also keep progressing naturally as you level.
-Sneak Attack: You gain Sneak Attack dice equal to your level divided by 3, rounded up.

-Psykic: You gain Basic access to one Psykic discipline

-Combat Training: Your Base Attack Bonus improves to Good, and you gain one [Combat] feat.

-Resistant to Chaos: You gain a Sacred bonus on saving throws against Chaos equal to your level divided by 4, rounded up. Additionally, you emit an aura with a 60' radius that prevents Warp gates from opening or Outsiders being summoned.

-Rage: You gain Rage dice equal to your level divided by 4, rounded up.

-Smite: Once per minute you may, as a Swift action, declare one opponent Anathema. All allies gain a bonus to strike and damage this foe for one round, equal to half your level. You gain the bonus to hit, but deal bonus damage equal to 1d6 per point of Charisma modifier you possess.

-Fast Healing: You gain Fast Healing equal to your level divided by 3, rounded up.

-Purity Seals: Your purity seals protect you, giving you all good saves and a Sacred bonus to Armour Class equal to your level divided by 4, rounded down.

Command: You can cast Command once per minute as a Psy-like ability. The save DC is equal to 10 plus alf your level plus your Charisma modifier. At level 9 this becomes a Swift action. At level 14, this can be used as an Immediate action.

Access the Forbidden: You may now gain access to usually forbidden knowledge, gaining a +4 competence bonus on all Knowledge checks. Additionally, you are allowed equipment usually deemed illegal or merely hard to acquire, according to your level.

[br]Level:  Items:[br]05      [Eldar] Martial Weapons, Power Weapons, Enhanced Equipment +1[br]08      Enhanced Equipment +2, [Dark Eldar] Martial Weapons, Power Armour[br]10      [Space Marine] Martial Weapons, [Chaos] Martial Weapons, Combat Drugs[br]12      Enhanced Equipment +3, Demon-bound Weapons, Power Fists, Non-space/Warp Vehicles[br]15      Enhanced Equipment +4, Exotic Weapons, Poisonous Gas, Warp Vessels[br]18      Enhanced Equipment +5, Viral Weapons, Bound Lesser Daemons[br]20      Enhanced Equipment +6, Nuclear Weapons, Space Hulks[br]

Order: You may join one of the Inquisitorial Orders, providing you with access to their libraries and storerooms. You are now a fully fledged Inquisitor, and may call Exterminatus on a planet, resulting in its absolute destruction. Obviously, some planets are immune to this, like Terra. I wish I didn't have to spell it out like this. Within 24 hours, the entire planet will be completely destroyed. You may do this once per week, though particularly enthusiastic Inquisitors will be called to account for their decisions and may have this ability revoked for one year.

Phantasmal Killer: You can cast Phantasmal Killer once per minute as a Psy-like ability. The save DC is equal to 10 plus alf your level plus your Charisma modifier. Other Inquisitors are immune to this effect.

See Invisible: Your constant suspicion and paranoia allow you to see even the invisible.

Telepathy: You gain Telepathy as a Spernatural special quality, usable at will.

Scarier Than Death: As an Immediate action, you may shout an order to an ally within 30' who is killed or rendered helpless. If they are dead, they are restored to life, though at only a quarter of their maximum hit points, and after a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, they will become Exhausted and begin bleeding without medical treatment. If rendered helpless, they are no longer helpless, not suffering the effect that caused it, although they are Fatigued and Shaken for one minute. You may not use this ability on yourself.

Detect Thoughts: You may cast Detect Thoughts as a Psy-like ability at will. The save DC is equal to 10 plus alf your level plus your Charisma modifier.

Exterminatus: This ability has two uses - aside from, the planet-wide form that is gained at level 6.
Firstly, you may order in an air strike on an outdoor location within one mile per level. An area of up to one ten foot cube per level is affected, being hit by an orbital plasma wave. All in the area suffer 3d6 points of damage per level, with a successful Reflex save (DC 10 plus half your level plus your Charisma modifier) for half. However, the very ground of the area is melted down, removing all cover, and causing the area to count as Difficult Terrain. Additionally, it is super-heated, dealing 4d6 fire damage per round to those within it. A Fortitude save (same DC) halves this damage. Breathing is made impossible due to the clouds of steam, and the entire area grants concealment. These terrain effects last for ten minutes. There is a delay between order and execution of 1d6+1 rounds. You may do this once per day.

Secondly, you may request assistance from a unit of Space marines. Three Grey Knight Terminator marines will teleport in to assist you, arriving in 1d4 rounds within 50 feet of you. Each has a level no higher than your own level minus 2. They will assist you for one hour, or until their work is finished. You may do this once per day.

Emperor's Wrath: Whenever successfully damaged in combat, you may, as a Free action, invoke the righteous fury of the Emperor. For a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, you gain a +6 enhancement bonus to your Strength score, and deal an additional amount of Sacred damage on all of your ranged and melee attacks equal to double your level. All foes who strike you during this time take Sacred damage equal to your level. Additionally, as part of the free action to activate, you can target the foe who damaged you with a Stunning effect. If they fail a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half your level + your Charisma modifier), they are Stunned for 4 rounds. When this effect wears off, it cannot be activated for another hour.

True Seeing: Due to your suspicion and paranoia, you can see all things how they really are. You benefit from a constant True Seeing effect.

Immunity: You never have to account for your actions. The Ends ALWAYS justify the Means. You are effectively above the law itself. This does not stop other Inqisitors from trying to kill you if they deem it necessary, however.

What do you guys think? I had a bit of difficulty deciding what they should be, so they're a bit over the place.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Emperor's Wrath (Ex): Once per round as a Free Action you may Win The Game. Doing so ends all opposing opinions about Space Marines and puts a giant L on your opponents' foreheads.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.