Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

"* Collection of strategic resources on planet tiles is no longer suppressed by buildings"

Doesn't that mean that all planets and tiles are basically the same? And you should just have two planets of all energy for every one of all minerals, and ignore everything else? (I assume homeplanet is going to be research.)
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Pretty sure when they say strategic resources they mean Belenthite and such.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

name_here wrote:Pretty sure when they say strategic resources they mean Belenthite and such.
Oh, that makes so much more sense. I just never colonize planets with strategic resources, so I never noticed.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

No Man's Sky is delayed until August. And we still don't know the first thing about the gameplay and features >_>
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

but of course we do:
IT'S GONNA BE HUGE MAN!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Haven't gone into NG+ with Dark Souls 3 as I figure I'll do that when the DLC comes out. So tried out dueling in Anor Londo arena area outside of Pontiff's. The weapons I tried out were

-Washing Pole: Has a great running poke, its 1 handed charged R2 will outrange polearms like the dragonslayer spear. Great of speed for its range

-Astora Greatsword: hyper armor when two handed, I like to use the charged R2 in exchanges with the leo ring (increase counter damage with thrust attacks)

-Red Handle Halberd: Perseverance is a great weapon art, though people can just circle away from you once its activated. Great poking attacks, though its R2's are slow sweeps that I've never found use for in duels.

I occasionally try Gotthard twin swords, Onikiri & Ubadachi, and storm curved sword but lose a lot more often with them against longer ranged weapons. An offhand Avelyn triple shot crossbow has also been fun to use as a surprise finishing move but it's more for style than anything.

DS3 PvP is fun, but a lot of character options just don't work well in a 1 on 1 fight. Wish there was a way for fight clubs to reliably set up 2v2 situations.

SNK's Last Blade 2 also just got ported to PS4 and PSV, been enjoying that. I like Moriya Minakata's moveset, he does that "long range slash that can hit high/med/low" Samurai Shodown's Ukyo and Guilty Gear's Johnny does.

The parrying in LB2 also feels great, one of the game's 4 buttons is dedicated to it so you're expected to use it fairly often.

Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun May 29, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I saw an early article about it a while ago. I was not instilled with great confidence that the designers had any idea how they had screwed the pooch on 5 and how to fix it.

They made a big deal of having learned lessons, they made big mentions of how they were totally keeping all the "content" of civ 5 like tourism and bullshit. But no mention about city states existing at all, because THOSE desperately need to be NOT SHIT and NOT SHOE HORNED INTO SIGNIFICANCE OFFENSIVELY. And of course no mention of problems like the games attempt to force a pretty much full play through to achieve victory or that STUPID FUCKING 3 CITIES THING where the game REALLY pushes you to have you know, ONLY 3 FUCKING CITIES.

Also I feel like the timing is just... it's too soon, and for a company that has somehow gotten a (largely undeserved and stupid anyway) fan narrative of launching flawed games then fixing them... well fuck those guys because Civ 5 still needs fixing, and Beyond Civ REALLY still needs fixing. (Oh god, what if anything from Beyond Civ ends up in the new one... eeeeewwww....)
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Everything you would want from Beyond you pretty much can get a mod for Civ5 for. Including the build cities on water DLC . .
there is literally no fucking reason to buy beyond earth . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I severely doubt you can get a mod for EVERYTHING that beyond does.

Not because you couldn't, I mean the whole game is a glorified mod.

But because some of the things Beyond does are so fucking stupid that I cannot even imagine the vast and often insane modding community would want to adopt and perpetuate those design decisions.

But everything you might reasonably want, sure... someone probably knocked that up over a cup of coffee.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ashes of the Singularity is 50% off on steam right now.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Can you give a quick review of the game? Net opinions seem to vary, in particular many people calling it shallow due to short single player campaign and small unit/terrain variety.
Last edited by maglag on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

haven't played it yet, because work etc.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

It was a passable fairly old style RTS in good and proper modern clothing. I'd call it pretty OK but I somehow lost interest and stopped playing the single player campaign WELL short of completion.

The most damning thing I'm inclined to say about it is that nothing especially has stuck in my mind as worth saying about it.

edit: no wait. That was Grey Goo that just had a singularity theme/name and was a game in the same genre with similar ideas for some factions. I haven't actually tried Ashes of the Singularity... that game that looks interesting as a possible spiritual successor to supreme commander... but because everything stardock touches is unrelenting shit... well...
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Invisible babies have been showing up in more games than I've expected lately.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Speaking of spiritual successors to Supreme Commander, anybody here played Planetary Annihilation? It seems like it has giant commander robot you need to protect as well, plus even bigger super prototypes and stuff, but then things can get pretty crazy as you can expand to other planets (the map is a solar syste) and shoot units in drop pods between them and stuff. Or build giant rocket thrusters into said planets to throw them at the enemy base.
Stahlseele wrote:haven't played it yet, because work etc.
Ha.
Haha.
Hahaha...

Yeah, funny how one's time for gaming gets shorter as one earns more money.

Really doesn't make much sense to me to be looking to buy new games when I've got a big pile of ones waiting to be finished.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Well, i have a week of holiday coming up due to birthday, but the 50% off ends before i can play ashes and tell you about it <.<

Yeah, planetary annihilation looked silly interesting . . for some reason, it doesn't look that appealing to me anymore . . i don't know why. Some buddies who played it told me they had fun with it though . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Me too. The gameplay videos in youtube just don't seem that exciting and the lack of a proper wiki or manual doesn't help matters.

On that topic Spring RTS is a freeware engine that's specialized in replicating supreme commander style games. Used to play it quite a bit, not so much nowadays because time, but if anyone wants to scratch that kind of itch for free I greatly recommend it. In particular because you can often find a 8x8 match for the most popular mods and those mods have been fairly polished.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I played planetary annihilation before it's big patch/expansion/steam release.

Two things.

1) Planetary Annihilation was compromised as a successor to total annihilation/supreme commander due to a focus on satisfying a hardcore competitive community of obsessive elitist twats.
One of the main problems? It is crazy micro-intensive because fuck you vast majority of gamers that's what fucking RTS/star craft fans want... and for some reason fuck you people that liked the spiritual line of Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander notable in part for their significant inroads in REDUCED micro.

The simple fact is that Planetary Annihilation, at least at first release may as well have been basically unplayable to a casual. What do I mean by a casual? I mean YOU AND EVERYONE YOU CARE ABOUT.

2) Then they fucking ripped us all off and fuck them I'm not paying for it again
So... another thing they did to satisfy competitive micro fan twat heads? Ensured total unquestionable game balance by... not having factions or unit variety like AT ALL. You all played the same faction basically... with a pretty shitty short list of units... boring enough that despite being short easily half of it was pretty much totally redundant but fractionally inferior repetition.

Also much of the most fun stuff from the spiritual predeccessors just flat out wasn't done because it was just "too dangerous" for competitive game balance. And they REALLY wanted to be the esports phenomenon for esports elitist twats everywhere (like THAT was going to happen that close to star craft 2, dumb asses).

So for instance remember supreme commanders hillarious giant lumbering experimental robots that were just so much fucking fun?

Yeah well fuck you they didn't exist.

Then the initial release of the game fucking BOMBED hard. I doubt they sold hardly anything that they hadn't already sold as their in house early access thingy.

They panicked.

They made an add on for the game that added back in some of that unbalanced fun stuff (notably gianter robots) and did... fuck knows what else.

The problem? It was steam only. The initial game... was first released on their own distribution thingy (they had obvious ambitions to out blizzard blizzard) and only later on steam. To play the add on you needed a STEAM copy of the original, and for a limited time only you would however get a discount on the add on or something if you owned the original... on steam.

I don't remember the details but for some reason it was stupid hard if not impossible to GET A FUCKING STEAM KEY if you, like say the majority of buyers had the game from before the steam release. I THINK there was a window where you COULD get one, but if you had missed it and then they'd shut down their own distribution thingy, well, basically fuck you, and unlike a surprising number of games the original non-steam game key you say, might have had in a carefully stored email somewhere... was for some reason useless on steam.

Myself I was basically, fuck you guys I'm not paying for this not just extra but ALSO again AND missing out on the discount all because I helped fund the stupid thing earlier, especially not after it was disappointingly stuck up it's own infinite micro ass the first time.

A rather large number of similar customers pretty much flooded the addon steam reviews with basically the same opinion only more so, though generally they saw the original release as "broken" and the add on as a promised but untrustworthy fix that the developers frankly owed them for free, but if not free, certainly not for the original price of the game again AND extra.

So anyway. Planetary Annihilation MIGHT now be a pretty fucking cool game to throw together with a few mates (I'm only guessing but I wouldn't rely on an existing online community to play with).

But who the the fuck knows and fuck those guys.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

A lot of new ideas in the trailers for the upcoming Zelda game. Hopefully the open world has at least as much content density as Wind Waker, I want some incentives to use those new exploration modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPxiXXxftE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxMykkb1qy8

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/4GEmsJN.jpg
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

As a backer for Planetary Annihilation (because I was a HUGE fan of Total Annihilation back in the day)...I pretty much have to agree with PhoneLobster.
The singleplayer was boring and incredibly repetitive (straight skirmish, over and over and over and over forever, with tiny upgrades every once in a while), the sides had NOTHING to differentiate them, and there was basically none of the cool shit that I loved in TA. Hell, the big draw was supposed to be sending asteroids at the other guy to blow up his planet, right? Jokes on you, 80% of the time you'd spawn on the SAME planet as them. By the time you could get over to another planet/asteroid, you could have won twice over with a simple zerg rush. That was so. miserably. disappointing.
And this bullshit with the expansion? Yeah, I got 'a copy'. For Steam. And my original copy was on their launcher. I never could manage to get a Steam key out of them, so I never got my expansion. Of course, I didn't even know the expansion was happening until it came out and I got the email saying I got a free copy, which tells you how well they communicated with their fans. And at that point, yeah, I was done caring.
So disappointed. So frustrated.
Here's hoping that Ashes of the Singularity is more fun. I'm going to be checking it out tomorrow, if things work out.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Thanks for the PA reviews!

So remember Warhammer Inquisitor? They got some new gameplay shown in E3. Highlights:

-Remember how inquisitors are supposed to investigate carefully and root out the enemies of men out of hiding? Never mind that, you'll only take missions where you drop in planets that are already completely taken over by the enemy and kill everything that moves. Eeeerr, isn't that the point where you just call an exterminatus or some other blunt force for cleanup duty?
-Inquisitor retinues? Whot'z that? You're fighting completely solo.
-You can take out a Chaos Dreadnought's arms with just a bolt pistol. And said chaos dreads seem to appear as simple big mooks along minor enemy waves. I predict that by the end of a playthrough your inquisitor will have singlehandedly destroyed more chaos dreads than all chaos warbands combined ever had. Also go figure what the hell is a chaos dread doing hanging out with just heretics and lowly mutants around.
-You get to play as hawt female death cult assassin switching between sniper and dual wielding power swords though. Her skintight bodysuit seems to offer as much protection as artificer power armor.
Last edited by maglag on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I was really interested in PA when I first read about it, but decided to wait and see how it turned out. The Steam reviews were unkind, and I decided not to get it. Though I left it on my wishlist for a while, just so it would recommend things "Because you wish for planetary annihilation".

You know me so well, Valve.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Stahlseele wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0RGfYAiuR8
Civ6 looks like shit x.x
Youtube commenter wrote:How am I supposed to maintain my completely unnecessary 30 wonders if they take up tiles?!&#65279;
Dropped.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

You won't be able to build all wonders in one city anyway, because they now require specific tiles to be built on.
Pyramids for example, of course, only on desert . .
because nobody ever heard of the south american pyramids of course . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: