Bueroza: Unstoppable army?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Bueroza: Unstoppable army?

Post by virgil »

I just discovered the steel devils from Tyrants of the Nine Hells and one particular special attack of theirs.

Formation Fighting (Ex): If a square adjacent to a steel devil is occupied by another steel devil, both gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws so long as they remain adjacent. Bonuses gained from multiple steel devils stack.

You gain this ability with polymorph! They're even a 6HD outsider, so this is doubly silly. And once you can use shapechange, you're gaining a free mind blank & death ward on top of it all.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, step 1 is find a way to shrink them down so they can share the same square without suffering penalties...
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

That's where string theory comes in.
But if not, one could use the ever-obvious incorporeal stacking gimmick to get as many as ∞ devils in the same point of space-time.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

How does string theory work in this situation? I mean, I don't know how it works in general (specifically, I have heard the term plenty of times, but not had it actually explained and haven't cared enough to Wiki it), but let's just be specific to this scenario at the moment.

But yes, incorporeal stacking for milliards and billiards* of them would be somewhat cheesy, and funny as well.

*Because those numbers just don't see enough use.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?titl ... =910058028

The above video won an award from Discover magazine for being able to concisely explain the premise behind String theory in under 2 minutes (it was a contest). Give it a watch.

Of course what it doesn't say is about the conspiracy to only allow String Theorists into higher education in the same way that the Church only promotes people from the inside and how true string theory can have no experiments designed to test it as true science does...
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

One devil gets a bonus, they all get the bonus. They are linked by sympathetic vibration.
Or at least that's my understanding of that portion of string theory.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

you'd need devils in at least two squares to do this. maybe shrink a ton of them down to support a nigh-unstoppable leading line
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That is a good explanation of String Theory. Unfortunately, current String Theory is currently not predictive. It's a descriptive model, and therefore fairly useless. Not really better than saying "goddidit."

I think I need to quote the Provost on this one:

"A brave theory, and actually quite a coherent one for a system of five or seven dimensions. If only we lived in one."

-Username17