Why'd they take out magical arrows in 4th edition?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Why'd they take out magical arrows in 4th edition?

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

There was really no game mechanical need to do this. You can only do cool things with daily powers on weapons anyway and they 'solved' the problem of enhancement bonuses stacking on bows an edition ago. So what the fuck?

Maybe they just thought that with them neutering the coolness of magic item they just might as well have gone ahead and eliminated the possible inherent inferiority of magic arrows? Maybe?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

In D&D, arrows are destroyed as soon as they hit or miss a target. No exceptions (except for any exceptions; this is, after all, exception based design).

Never mind that making a decent arrow requires more work than making a decent bow. Arrows are completely disposable, and disposable magic items are simply not allowed in 4e (again, excepting exceptions).
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

You could just re-skin some of the alchemical items from Adventurer's Vault as magic arrows...
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

eh, I always hated magic arrows. In general expendable stuff kinda sucks.

If there are magic arrows, they should be like something awesome like arrows of death and stuff, not the 50 pack of +1 arrows that you're constantly ticking off as you fire em.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

That's nothing RC.

I've played games where I'd buy 10k arrows of several flavours; store them, and then use a mix of them in piles of 5k at a time.

Of course, this was in a computer game, but w/e.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:eh, I always hated magic arrows. In general expendable stuff kinda sucks.

If there are magic arrows, they should be like something awesome like arrows of death and stuff, not the 50 pack of +1 arrows that you're constantly ticking off as you fire em.
The HIndu mythos' take on magical arrows are definitely better and closer to your interpretation. They are often close to almost artifact level and call shit like a multitude of snake arrows or an ice death.

BUt yeah, I agree with you. Magic arrows need to be something awesome.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.