Class: Hunter (Yet another Ranger replacement)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

IGTN
Knight-Baron

Class: Hunter (Yet another Ranger replacement)

Post by IGTN »

This class is intended as a replacement for my gaming group's Ranger. I've gone through several drafts to make something I'm happy enough with to submit for critique.

Hunter
"Can I need on [Illusionary Rod]? it has better dps than my axe."

Hunters are independent individualists, more at home in the wilderness, alone except for their trained beasts, than in any other environment. When in an adventuring party, a Hunter's talent for independent action makes them effective at scouting, and their animal companion and talents with traps, including some supernatural powers, and ranged weaponry make them into a powerful combatant.

Playing a Hunter: A Hunter's animal companion and snares together allow him to keep enemies at a distance even when the rest of the party can't, and he can keep up in ranged combat even in circumstances when others are stopped from even trying. Hunter tactics reduce to the question "how can I and my animal companion continue to make full attacks against the monster?"

Abilities: A Hunter uses his Dexterity for stealth, ranged attacks, and trapping and his Wisdom for perception and to enhance his ability to restore his animal companion. Most rangers have Dexterity and Wisdom as their highest ability scores, although not necessarily in that order. All of his other ability scores provide some kind of ability: Strength adds to damage, Constitution to hit points and endurance, Intelligence to skill points, and Charisma to Wild Empathy, but neglecting any of those abilities is not significantly harmful.

Races: Although Hunters are more common and important in uncivilized areas, all races have members who spend their time in the wildnerness. Hunters of civilized races often form aloof wilderness patrols, silent protectors of their people, while uncivilized hunters are essential to feeding the tribe.

Starting Gold: 6d4x10 gp (150 gp)
Starting Age: As Ranger

Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: The Hunter's class skills are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Dungeoneering, Nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex)
Skills/Level: 6 + Intelligence modifier
BAB: Full (4/4). Saves: Fort: Good. Ref: Good. Will: Poor

Level Special
1 Animal Companion, Hide Pet, Skillful Aim, Track, Wild Empathy
2 Bonus Feat, Mend Pet 1/day
3 Simple Snare, Woodland Stride
4 Weather Mastery, Mend Pet 2/day
5 Trackless Step, Wilderness Trapper
6 Mend Pet 3/day
7 Retreating Snare, Stunning Snare, Mend Pet (Restoration)
8 Bonus Feat, Improved Woodland Stride, Mend Pet 4/day
9 Aerial Snare, Mend Pet (Raise Dead) 5/day
10 Swarm Snare, Wind Snare
11 Mend Pet (Heal)
12 Dimensional Snare, Mind Snare
13 Petrifying Snare
14 Mend Pet (Ressurection)
15 Bonus Feat, Mend Pet (At will)
16 Mend Pet (Reactive) 1/day
17 Mend Pet (Reactive) 2/day
19 Double Snare
20 Mend Pet (Reactive) 3/day

Animal Companion: As Druid

Hide Pet (ex): Whenever thew Hunter hides while not moving with his animal companion within his reach, he may take a penalty on his hide check to allow his animal companion to hide using the same check result. The penalty on this check is -2 if the animal companion is the same size as the Hunter or one size smaller, 0 if the animal companion is two sizes smaller, -6 if it is one size larger, and an additional -4 for each size category larger it is.

Skillful Aim (ex): A Hunter's animal companion never grants cover against the hunter's ranged attacks, and the hunter need not take penalties for firing into melee, provided that his target is only engaged in melee against the hunter's animal companion. If the Hunter avoids this penalty by other means, his animal companion gains the edge against any creature struck by the Hunter's ranged attacks for one round.

Track: As Ranger.

Wild Empathy: As Ranger.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd, 8th, and 15th levels, the Hunter gains a bonus feat. This may be any [Skill] feat for a Hunter class skill, or any of the following [Combat] feats: Danger Sense, Ghost Hunter, Great Fortitude, Hunter, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Sniper, Zen Archery. It may also be any General feat with Point Blank Shot as a prerequisite; the Hunter must meet any prerequisites for such feats except for Point Blank Shot. Alternately, his animal companion may take any [Combat] or [Monstrous] feat for which it meets the prerequisites. If it does so, it may use the Hunter's base attack bonus in place of its own to gain abilities from the feat.

Mend Pet (su): A Hunter of 2nd level or higher may cause their animal companion to heal more rapidly once per day as a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Doing so causes their animal companion to gain Fast Healing equal to the Hunter's class level for a number of rounds equal to 10 + the Hunter's Wisdom modifier, and grants the effects of a Delay Poison spell for the same duration. This provokes an attack of opportunity and requires that the Hunter be within close range of the animal companion. When it ends, regardless of cause, the animal companion is subject to one of the following effects: Lesser Restoration, Neutralize Poison, or Remove Disease. This ability can be used twice per day at 4th level, three times per day at 6th level, four times per day at 8th level, five times per day at 9th level, and at will at 15th level.

At 7th level, it grants fast healing equal to twice the Hunter's class level and lasts five + Wisdom modifier rounds, and ends with one of Neutralize Poison, Remove Curse, Remove Disease or Restoration.

At 9th level, it grants fast healing equal to three times the Hunter's class level for 3 + Wisdom modifier rounds, and instant healing equal to the Hunter's class level. When it begins, it grants one of the effects listed as possibilities for when it ends, or may substitute a Break Enchantment. If the Hunter's animal companion is dead, it may provide a Raise Dead effect instead of the above possibilities.

At 11th level, it casts a Heal spell on the Hunter's animal companion immediately (caster level = Hunter's class level, no HP limit), and grants fast healing equal to four times the Hunter's class level for or a number of rounds equal to the Hunter's Wisdom modifier, minimum one round.

At 14th level, it may be used to cast Ressurection, in the same manner as Raise Dead, and removes negative conditions as Greater Restoration and Regenerate.

At 16th level, the Hunter gains the ability to use Mend Pet as an immediate action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity once per day. This increases to twice per day at 17th level, and three times per day at 20th level.

Simple Snare (ex): As a standard action, a Hunter of 3rd level of higher may set a Simple Snare in any square in his reach. If any creature that threatens him attempts to stop him, he fails to set the snare. When he sets the snare, he makes a Survival check; this is the Spot DC to notice the Snare (creatures watching the Hunter set the snare must make this check to note which square is being ensnared). If the square it is in is searched, the Search DC to find it is 5 lower. When a creature enters the square, it must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 Hunter level + Hunter's Dexterity modifier; all snares use this DC unless otherwise noted). On a failure, it is immobilized for one round per Hunter class level. It may attempt to escape as a standard action by making a Strength check against the original save DC, or by making an Escape Artist check against the original Survival result; regardless, each DC increases by 1 for each previous failed attempt. Materials for a Simple Snare cost 10 gp and weigh 2 pounds. If the Hunter is in an environment rich in plant life (scrub or better), or that naturally impedes movement, he may gather materials as part of the action of setting the snare.

Setting a snare requires something to brace and conceal or camouflage the snare against (it need not provide any actual concealment to the snare), typically ground, although walls, ceilings, trees, and similar objects can also be used.

Woodland Stride: As Ranger

Weather Mastery (su): A Hunter of 4th level or higher is able to use their ranged attacks in any non-supernatural weather without penalty, and may make a level check (DC 11 + caster level) to be able to ignore supernatural weather (including a Wind Wall) as a swift action. Once successful, this lasts forever against that one specific source of supernatural weather (if the spell is cast again, or another spell is cast, it must be mastered again).

Trackless Step: As Druid. The Hunter's animal companion also gains this ability.

Wildnerness Trapper (ex): A Hunter of 5th level or higher may use the Assassin's Trapmaking ability. He is always assumed to have full access to materials when in an environment rich in plant life. Additionally, he may find traps like a Rogue does, provided that he is in a natural setting.

Retreating Snare (ex): A Hunter of 6th level or higher may set any snare (class feature) or apply caltrops as a swift action, provided that he expends an action on movement during the turn when he sets the snare; if he does not, he may set a snare as a move action, but may not set more than one snare in a round. Those observing the Hunter who fail their spot checks are not aware that he have set a snare.

Stunning Snare (ex): A Hunter of 6th level gains the ability to set a Stunning Snare. This behaves like a Simple Snare, except that it requires a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save, and, on a failure, stuns its target for 1d2 rounds instead of immobilizing; escape is not possible.

Improved Woodland Stride (ex): A Hunter of 8th level or higher may walk upon terrain magically altered to impede movement (but not walk through walls, even a Wall of Thorns, or even a Solid Fog) without penalty, provided that he is able to make a class level check with a DC of 11 + the effect's caster level. This check may be attempted once per round.

Aerial Snare (su): At 9th level, the Hunter can supernaturally enhance his snares, removing the need for anything to brace or conceal them against, or for anything to make them out of. An unbraced snare remains stationary relative to the game map. Additionally, when a Snare is set, the Hunter can set as many squares as he likes within 10' of the square containing the snare; the snare goes off on anyone entering those squares without having been continually within 10' of the snare since it was set.

Swarm Snare (su): A Hunter of 10th level can set a snare that bursts into a swarm of locusts. When the snare is triggered, it behaves as an Insect Plague spell (cast at the Hunter's class level), except that it disperses after one minute. The swarms' distraction DC is equal to the snare's save DC. The shape the swarm takes must be decided when the snare is set.

Wind Snare (su): A Hunter of 10th level can set a snare that changes the winds around it. When this snare is set, the Hunter must decide on a wind direction as if casting Control Winds. When the snare is triggered, wind strength increases by one category, plus one category per three class levels the Hunter has, in a 40' radius around the snare; the modified winds last for one minute. The Hunter may make ranged attacks freely in this wind. Regardless of strength, the save DC against this wind is the snare's save DC.

Dimensional Snare (su): A Hunter of 12th level or greater has supernaturally enhanced snares that exist on multiple planes of existance at once. When he sets a snare, he may extend it into any coexistent planes (such as the ethereal) that he chooses. Additionally, his Simple Snares apply a Dimensional Anchor effect for as long as the target is trapped in them; at his option, such snares may also force the creature caught into his plane of existence until it escapes. This planar travel occurs before the Dimensional Anchor is applied.

Mind Snare (su): A Hunter of 12th level can set a snare that causes any creature caught in it to suffer a Confusion effect, as the spell, for 5 rounds. This uses the normal Snare save DC.

Petrifying Snare (su): A Hunter of at least 13th level can set a snare that causes the creature it activates on to instantaneously turn to stone if it fails a Fortitude save against the snare's save DC.

Double Snare (ex): A Hunter of 19th level may set snares that combine two different effects, with a single Survival check. Such snares can be any two of Simple, Stunning, Swarm, Wind, Mind, and Petrifying. Even if they require the same type of save, each effect must be saved against individually.

Changelog: Clarified a bunch of things, added Dimensional Snare. Fixed formatting.
Corrected the quote and added Trackless Step to the animal companion.
Last edited by IGTN on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
ZER0
Journeyman

Post by ZER0 »

Just as a general note which is only vaguely to do with this class, WoW=bad.

Still, it seems fairly workable, with a few things here and there.

Mend Pet - Make the minimum for the 11th level ability have a minimum of 1, and specify the rest as Wisdom modifier only if positive.

Snare - The save DC should be Wisdom-based rather than Dexterity-based. Does 'something to brace and conceal' count as a plain, solid, open floor?

Wilderness Trapper - Can he find magical traps too?

Retreating Snare - Why not say "can do it as a move action, or a swift action during a turn when you moved"? Turn down the overall time for it.

Stunning Snare - Deku Nut.

Aerial Snare - It should go off on the people who are standing inside if they move, even if they move out.

Double Snare - Can it be the same two types of snares?
Absentminded_Wizard wrote:
4e PHB, p. 57 under "Target" (bolding mine) wrote:When a power’s target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power’s effect along with your team-mates. Otherwise, “ally” or “allies” does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets. “Enemy” or “enemies” means a creature or creatures that aren’t your allies (whether those creatures are hostile toward you or not). “Creature” or “creatures” means allies and enemies both, as well as you.
Yes, according to 4e RAW, you are your own enemy.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The Hunter (formerly The Non-Hippie Ranger)

Similar idea but toxic and no companion.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

It needs more pet buffs, and shooting buffs to look more competetive. Right now.... I'm seeing lots of snares.

Never mind about the pet. It gains HD and can get Combat Feats that use your BaB. Everything that's good in terms of a Druid animal companion works here as well.

I like the quote, but you should change it to say "...it gives me more wis than my swords do, and I'm beast-spec'ed."

But yeah, you need some shooting ability imo. Right now it's a bit ... it reminds me of Hunters in Ragnarok Online. Especially the Wind Snare.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

The flavor quote is something that my brother actually heard a hunter he was grouping with say, although I misquoted it. The correct quote ended "it has better dps than my axe." If I were making up a hunter loot joke, I'd change it to be more accurate, but the true story is probably funnier.

The bonus feats are archery abilities, although spending them on pet abilities might be a better investment. I had a pile of archery powers in an older draft that I didn't particularly like, so I took them out, except for the essentials. I'll look through to see what I can put back in, or come up with something new.

Snares are DEX-based so that the Hunter is viable with DEX before WIS; DEX hunters are slightly better shots and have better snares, WIS hunters have better pets and probably take Zen Archery. Snares can be set on open floor; they just need to have something that they can sensibly sit on until you get rid of that limitation. I'll clarify this part, and Wilderness Trapper.

The upgrade for Retreating Snare is noted.

I don't particularly want Aerial Snare to allow the hunter to run up and snare people without them doing anything; Petrifying Snare is an at-will save-or-die as a swift action, so being able to put one on top of people and have them set it off is kinda unfair.

Double Snare will be clarified.

Also, I'm adding another snare improvement at 12th to keep things relevant when people are teleporting around.