Completing the unfinished Tome armours

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

koz
Duke

Completing the unfinished Tome armours

Post by koz »

Credit must go to veekie for helping me with this project, as well as ubernoob for some ideas.

Tome Armours

Chain Shirt

AC +4, Max Dex +5, ACP -2, ASF -4

A mass of links covering your chest, neck and shoulders made of the finest steel.

BAB
+1: You are encased in steel and negate the first 5 points of damage from any critical hit or sneak attack.
+5: You gain DR 5/piercing.
+10: You receive a +2 bonus on any checks to resist grapple manoeuvres.
+15: You take only half slashing damage from any source.

Cord Armour

AC +2, Max Dex +4, ACP -1, ASP +0

Samurai used to wear this stuff, made of bound rope reinforced with bamboo.

Tumble ranks
4: You are encased in cords and negate the first 5 points of bludgeoning damage you take.
8: As an immediate action, you can replace your AC for one attack by the result of a Tumble check. You may use this
ability after an attack has hit you, but before damage has been determined.
13: You gain a swim speed equal to your base land speed.
18: You may move up to your speed as a swift action.

Darkleaf Armour

AC +4, Max Dex +6, ACP -1, ASP +0

This armour, grown rather than made, consists of hundreds of leaves that are as hard as iron.

Knowledge (nature) ranks
4: Your armour grows small roots into you, granting you fast healing 1.
8: You gain DR 5/piercing.
13: You gain hide in plain sight, but only in natural surroundings.
18: You and your armor are one with nature, letting you move through any natural vegetation (such as a tree trunk
or brambles) as if they were level ground, as long as you end your turn in an unoccupied square. If you end your
turn inside a plant, you are ejected from the nearest open space.

Grey Armour

AC +3, Max Dex +8, ACP +0, ASP +0

Made from slaadskin, grey armour shifts to anticipate attacks with the power of Limbo.

BAB
+1: You are encased in shifting skin and negate the first 5 points of damage from any critical hit or sneak attack.
+5: You gain DR 5/lawful.
+10: Your armour is so shifty that you negate an amount of damage from any critical hit or sneak attack equal to
your BAB.
+15: You are surrounded by a 10ft radius area of Raw Limbo. You automatically succeed on unopposed control checks
over this area, and gain a +4 bonus to opposed control checks. The controlled area reverts to normal once it
leaves the affected radius.

Leather Armour

AC +2, Max Dex +7, ACP -1, ASP +0

Made from cured cowhide, it's cheap, but does the job.

Tumble ranks
4: You are encased in leather and negate the first 2 points of bludgeoning damage you take.
8: You gain fire resistance 5.
13: As an immediate action, you can replace your AC for one attack with the result of a Tumble check.You may use
this ability after an attack has hit you, but before damage has been determined.

Mithril Shirt

AC +5, Max Dex +6, ACP +0, ASP +0

Like a chain shirt, but the links are much lighter and finer, allowing for more a more dense weave.

BAB
+1: You are encased in mithril and negate the first 5 points of damage from any critical hit or sneak attack.
+5: Your armour moves so easily that you can use the Tumble skill during a charge.
+10: You gain DR 5/bludgeoning and piercing.
+15: You convert an amount of lethal physical damage that you take equal to your BAB into nonlethal damage.

Padded Armour

AC +1, Max Dex +8, ACP +0, ASP +0

Essentially thick cloth.

Tumble ranks
4: You may reroll a failed Tumble check when you attempt to move your full speed or through an occupied space.
8: You can gain the benefits of 8 hours of sleep with 7 hours of sleep.
13: As an immediate action, you can replace your AC for one attack with the result of a Tumble check.

Studded Leather Armour

AC +3, Max Dex +6, ACP -1, ASP -1

This is also made from cured cowhide, but it has small pieces of metal to cover the painful bits.

Tumble ranks
4: Your important bits are protected by metal chunks and negate the first 3 points of damage from any critical
hit or sneak attack.
8: You gain DR 5/piercing.
13: When you deal damage in a grapple, you deal additional damage equal to this armour's AC bonus.

Wicker Armour

AC +3, Max Dex +7, ACP -1, ASP -6

Made from woven wood, this armour is incredibly light and makes you look like a toy with wooden wings.

Jump ranks
4: You are encased in wood, and gain DR 2/-.
8: All your jumps are considered to have a running start.
13: You no longer take falling damage.
18: Your wooden wings give you a fly speed equal to your base land speed, at perfect manoeuvreability.

Breastplate

AC +5, Max Dex +4, ACP -4, ASP -2

A solid armour of steel protecting all vital bits, with an underlay of chainmail.

BAB
+1: You are encased in steel and negate the first 5 points of nonlethal damage from any physical attack.
+5: You gain DR 5/critical hits.
+10: You reduce the critical multiplier of any weapons used against you by 1 point, and reduce the bonus damage
dice from sneak attacks against you by 2 dice.
+15: You gain DR 10/critical hits.

Lamellar

AC +4, Max Dex +4, ACP -4, ASP -4

Like scale mail, only lighter.

BAB
+1: You are encased in laquered wood and steel, and negate the first 5 points of nonlethal damage from any
physical attack.
+5: You gain DR 5/slashing.
+10: You no longer take falling damage.
+15: You convert an amount of lethal physical damage that you take equal to your BAB into nonlethal damage.

Hoplite Armour

AC +6, Max Dex +1, ACP -9, ASP -5

This is what Spartans SHOULD have been wearing.

BAB
+1: You are encased in bronze and negate the first 5 points of nonlethal damage from any physical attack.
+5: You gain DR 5/critical hits.
+10: Your armour check penalty is halved.
+15: You gain DR 10/critical hits.

Stone Plate

AC +10, Max Dex +0, ACP -9, ASP -11

Grown or carved from solid stone, this Dwarven armor is amazingly hard to move in, but the protection is amazing.

BAB
+1: You are encased in stone and negate the first 5 points of nonlethal damage from any physical attack.
+5: You gain DR 5/adamantine.
+10: You are regarded as a great hero of the Dwarves. Unless you do something hostile, Dwarves will treat you
as Friendly. You also have the [Earth] subtype.
+15: You move through earth and stone as easily as walking upon. You earthglide as an earth elemental creature.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Last edited by koz on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Cool, thanks. Nice job, but this:

Mithril Shirt
+10: You take only half slashing damage from any source.

seems worrisome. Due to the 8 magic item limit many warriors may only have one level appropriate weapon and that could very well be a slashing weapon.

Also I am confused as to how being armored in woven twigs causes you to fly.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

The wicker armour was a bit of a stretch, but some descriptive text should rectify your concerns. Mostly, this was due to the armour scaling to Jump, the intent of which none of us could quite follow in any way except this one.

As for the mithril shirt ability, would DR 10/bludgeoning and piercing be a better call?
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Mister_Sinister wrote:As for the mithril shirt ability, would DR 10/bludgeoning and piercing be a better call?
The math would certainly be easier for that.

Although that's DR 10/(morningstar or certain natural weapons), not slashing resistance. Still, it fits.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

IGTN wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:As for the mithril shirt ability, would DR 10/bludgeoning and piercing be a better call?
The math would certainly be easier for that.

Although that's DR 10/(morningstar or certain natural weapons), not slashing resistance. Still, it fits.
Edited.
ZER0
Journeyman

Post by ZER0 »

Is that all of them, or are there more?
Absentminded_Wizard wrote:
4e PHB, p. 57 under "Target" (bolding mine) wrote:When a power’s target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power’s effect along with your team-mates. Otherwise, “ally” or “allies” does not include you, and both terms assume willing targets. “Enemy” or “enemies” means a creature or creatures that aren’t your allies (whether those creatures are hostile toward you or not). “Creature” or “creatures” means allies and enemies both, as well as you.
Yes, according to 4e RAW, you are your own enemy.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

These are all the unfinished Tome armours in the PDF. And they're going on the vetting thread.