Earthdawn - generic fantasy or good choice?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Earthdawn - generic fantasy or good choice?

Post by Cynic »

So, I've been looking at the wiki apge for Earthdawn and was wondering if anyone knows if the setting was any decent. I know it's supposedly set in teh same universe as Shadowrun but in the past. Are there any other similarities? What are the mechanics like?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The setting was awesome, but I played it before it had enough monsters and data to flesh out a campaign.

Playing it by the rules could end up either very deadly or very monty haul, some of the races just have no need for loot - another face to the pixie problem Frank never gets to.

But it was really nice, even with only a semi-competent storyteller.

-Crissa
ludomastro
Apprentice

Post by ludomastro »

NOTE: These comments refer to the FASA version published in 1997.

I've played the FASA version and I'm not impressed (but not disappointed) with the mechanics. Each roll is based on a "step" number that can be added to or subtracted from.

d4
d6
d8
d10
d12
2d6
d8+d6
etc.

Target numbers start low and go high. Top end of the die explodes. I never quite got the hang of keeping the steps straight in my head without a table.

-----

The setting is awesome. The creature section leaves a little bit more work for the GM but works pretty well. The supplemental setting books really help.

-----

The Earthdawn / Shadowrun tie-in came much later and was a bit of a retcon. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it if the tie-in isn't your thing.