Let's not add any more numbers to the d20 roll.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Let's not add any more numbers to the d20 roll.

Post by Psychic Robot »

3.5 suffers from huge RNG problems because you're getting roughly +500 bonuses on your attack rolls, checks, and saves. So, here's what I suggest (in theory, not in reality, as I see that this will have a large number of problems):

You roll a d20. You succeed on a task if your roll is above a certain number. The only bonuses you get are to damage, and there are a very few things that can increase your range.

For instance, take attack rolls. When a fighter makes an attack, he succeeds on a 10 or higher. When a rogue makes an attack, he succeeds on a 14 or higher. When a wizard makes an attack, he succeeds on an 18 or higher.

By doing this, you completely bypass the problems with huge to-hit bonuses, and you can configure the percent success very easily. On the other hand, you end up with problems where things get kind of stupid, unless you put in some "safeguards" to the system where CR affects your chances to hit (no level 1 commoners smacking the dragon around, and no level 20 fighters missing goblins 45% of the time).

Thoughts?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Two things:
1) At very least, you want level to affect the hit chance. While you could apply a modifier based on relative CR, it would be a lot simpler to add x*level to both attack and defense.

2) Even with that, it's rather bland. You can't have anything like accurate-yet-weak attacks, or slow-yet-powerful attacks, or foes with good/poor defense relative to their overall competence. You lose out on a lot of situational modifiers as well, which may cut down on tactics.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Eww! That's like Warhammer FRP.

Worst. Game. Ever.
Elennsar
Duke

Post by Elennsar »

Dark Heresy is slightly worse. Slightly...hard to get much worse without changing the system.
Trust in the Emperor, but always check your ammunition.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The less modifiers you have, the more modifiers that are left will actually matter and be individually discernible.

-Username17
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

I was thinking more of the situationally independent success rates.

Eww, in other words.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

I think RIFTS has a system like this. Perhaps we could remove most of the modifiers, then, instead of all of them.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Sigma's talked about cutting the number of modifers available down from approximately 436,423 to about 5-6, which I think is definitely a good idea.

What you describe, P_R, is far too arbitrary and ...bland for me, at least as written. Seriously, no mods? None?

Maybe some sort of cap on the total you can get from mods, so you can't get +4 morale, +4 enhancement, +4 insight, +4 divine, +4 whatchamajigger and +4 arbitrarium for a total of +[broken].
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

The less modifiers you have, the more modifiers that are left will actually matter and be individually discernible.
To some extent yes - but +1 on a d20 roll is always a 5% better chance to hit, no matter how rare and special or common and prevalent +1 swords are. The only thing that really makes modifiers more/less special is if there are/aren't so many types that you can easily get a near 100% chance of success.
Last edited by Ice9 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tequila Sunrise
Journeyman

Post by Tequila Sunrise »

Psychic Robot wrote:I think RIFTS has a system like this. Perhaps we could remove most of the modifiers, then, instead of all of them.
The important step is to begin with a list of possible bonus types, then all you have to do is remember to use that list whenever you invent a new bonus source. If you can do that, you're golden.

TS
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Fading Suns had very few modifiers. You rolled a d20 against your combined attribute+skill to hit and then added things like range or cover and that was about it.

I particularly likied how they made the critical your target number your crit rather than 20.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
bosssmiley
Apprentice

Post by bosssmiley »

"You roll a d20. You succeed on a task if your roll is above a certain number. The only bonuses you get are to damage, and there are a very few things that can increase your range."

Sounds a little like OD&D. Was that intentional?
The rules serve the game, not vice versa.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Sounds a little like OD&D. Was that intentional?
No, it wasn't, heh. I was just thinking aloud.
Ant wrote: