How to write no rules

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

What a lot of bullshit over nothing.

Do you want transparency on the fly? Play flat and expect that multiple TN mods will fuck up your system to where if you're fighting an invisible opponent on the deck of a rolling ship while under the effects of a poison you're not going to hit him unless you institute an auto miss/hit system... which neatly and as far as I can tell totally addresses all the BS about the superiority of RNGs and bell curves anyhow, considering the vanishing chances at the ends of the curve.

Do you want to be able to apply multiple mods with a reasonable belief that they do not automatically make any situation an impossible scenario? Use a bell curve. The GM probably won't know the probabilities off-hand and so you'll want to include a TN chart with qualitative and quantitative descriptions.

Here are some examples with an automiss/hit system:

baseline d20 mods with a base 11+ TN; {automiss, autohit} on {1, 20}
- invisible is a 50% miss chance = -5 to base, absent context
- rolling deck is a 20% miss chance = -2 to base, absent context
- nauseated is a 30% miss chance = -3 to base, absent context
= you only hit on a 20 (5% success rate)

baseline 3d6 mods with a base 11+ TN
- invisible is a 50% miss chance = -2 to base
- rolling deck is a 20% miss chance = -1 to base
- nauseated is a 30% miss chance = -1 to base
= you hit on a 15+ (9.3% success rate)

Seriously. That's the argument going on. That 9.3% on a sliding scale is better/worse than 5% on a flat scale and it's so obvious that anyone that is not pro/anti-skub is a fucking moron and should kill themselves and probably fucks children.

At values less than the RNG-fuckery, say a -9 to d20 (which still converts to 15+ on 3d6) you're actually comparing 10% to 9.3%.

At values greater than the RNG-fuckery, say a -12 to a d20 (converting to 16+ on 3d6) you're comparing 5% to 4.6%.

At values MUCH greater than the RNG, say a -14 on d20 (converting to 18+ on 3d6) you're comparing 5% to 0.5%.

Is the far-edge, vanishingly small portion of the NdX so much more awesome than dX's equally arbitrary automiss/hit values?

THE SKY IS FALLING.

PhoneLobster wrote:If your goal REALLY IS the ability to add bonuses to the roll multiple times it is simply NOT honest to say that more potential to add cumulative bonuses exists on 3d6, its just plain not true.
It depends on context: you're not just adding bonuses, you're adding bonuses with an intended magnitude. And for bell curve systems where magnitudes are static and based on an even-chance baseline, you actually CAN add more static bonuses to a check despite having less discrete points. But you know that, since...
More to the point why do you require the 1d20 example to add a +45% bonus each time when the 3d6 example is not required to do the same?
This statement here is the entire crux of the bloated discussion. The flat system adds flat numbers regardless of context and this means a +X is a +cX% every time. The curved system adds flat numbers but the +X becomes some +f(X)% dependent on context.

And that's the point.

Always adding +cX% means you run off the RNG quicker unless you're willing to recalculate the +X based on context, and at that point you're adding complexity on the backend of a flat system rather than the frontend with a curved system.

I have no idea why the math discussion is going in circles - everyone involved here understands it: PhoneLobster, Frank, Murtak, everyone. It's just that no one seems to get tired of telling each other that they don't understand it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

No, PL obviously does not understand. Because Murtak, NiN, and myself are not claiming that uncurved die rolls are always wrong. All of use admit that they have a place and are useful and simple. PL is claiming that curved die rolls are less than worthless and refuses to acknowledge the ability to add standard deviations with static modifiers.

And he had this explained, at length, fucking years ago, and he's still hijacking other threads to harp on exactly this to accuse other people of not understanding basic math and lying about numbers because they say that you can set a modifier to add a standard deviation to your chances of success with a curved roll, and add it twice and have that be adding two standard deviations. Which is fucking mind blowing, because that claim is literally fucking true.

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I was worried that you all might have gotten soft and stopped fighting like rabid dogs over hypothetical mechanics for hypothetical games. This thread comes as such a relief.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

*eating popcorn* MOAR FIGHT
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

So, and I'm really serious about this, could something like battletech be pushed over from 2d6-land into 3d6-land without much trouble?
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lokathor wrote:So, and I'm really serious about this, could something like battletech be pushed over from 2d6-land into 3d6-land without much trouble?
Absolutely. They had an edition of mechwarrior that adjusted the modifiers to 2d10, which could be substituted for 3d6 without a problem.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

What the hell is a skub?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:What the hell is a skub?

-Username17
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

I WIN.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Lokathor wrote:So, and I'm really serious about this, could something like battletech be pushed over from 2d6-land into 3d6-land without much trouble?
Absolutely. They had an edition of mechwarrior that adjusted the modifiers to 2d10, which could be substituted for 3d6 without a problem.

-Username17
Mechwarrior 3rd edition, using 2d10 vs TN and all sorts of relatively strange mechanics for the creation and combat system. Yes, I've got that sitting on my shelf next to my Classic Battletech: Master Rules and Maximum Tech, and I've read it a great many times, but I have never actually played it. The problem with battletech has always been the complexity of introducing a new player and stating out a mech. The fact that mech and vehicle design is fairly horribly broken doesn't help.

And here's where "No Rules" systems really jump ahead. They're usually terrible at scaling up and out, but introducing a new player is easy as pie. On the other end of the spectrum you've got things like Shadowrun, GURPS, and Hackmaster Basic; they use point build systems and expect you to pay attention to the balance of your character. Spread out in the middle, you've got the various editions of DnD which have all manner of complex minigames, but not so much at first level. Usually you just learn very basic things about attacks/ac, hitpoints/damage, skills/abilities, and saving throws.

I'd say that the optimal game for the kinds of groups I have available to me is somewhere in that middle range. You can teach it to new players, and it has moderately well built packages that are easy to pick between for new players, but it still allows you to open up the insides and swap things around once you know what you're doing and everyone is more comfortable with what's going on.

That all said, now that I think about it, I'd probably like to work on a battletech-like game as my next gaming project, because giant robots with lasers is cool.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It is true that an open ended point system is pretty daunting to make a character for when you are a new player. Even if you're familiar with games in general, but are new to that particular game. And honestly, I don't think that you have to abandon point system games because of that fact. I think that you have to make some reasonable pregenerated characters.

The reason that you can't just hand someone a mech and get a player to jump right in is that all the pre-made mechs have fucking terrible weapon layouts. The reason you can't just hand someone a premade Champions character is that the pregenerated characters have crap like a Dex of 25. The reason you can't hand someone a premade Shadowrun character is that the premade characters can't do their jobs. Like, at all.

If you had a reasonably competent min/maxxer put together some actually reasonable pregen characters, such that you didn't feel like a douche handing a new player the premade sniper drone/ energy projector/ ninja then the point system could just be horribly obtuse and allow for thousands of options and that would be fine.

-Username17
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Hmm, yes all of that is true. However this also brings us back to the other blip on the radar: The C-Bills and Battle Value subsystems of Battletech aren't at all sane, so you can only really balance mech forces against each other if they've got the same number of equal tonned mechs with equally skilled pilots. And I don't know a way around that at all.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Do you need that balance though? I can't see balance in Battletech without completely reworking at least the Mech construction system. And you will want to have some sort of campaign rules, to include stuff like scouting missions. At that point you are writing the RPG system from scratch, building a new campaign system, revamping large parts of the tactical game - heck, what is left at that point?

I'd be tempted to just make up a lot of that stuff on the fly. What is important is character balance - you want fair choices during character creation and advancement and you want those choices to matter.

Balanced mech choices? How the heck are you supposed to balance a 40 ton fire support mech against a 70 ton artillery mech? The Archer is a straight upgrade to the Witworth - you can't balance that. Horrible weapon layouts? Yup, on many, many mechs. Of course the same happened in real human history, so I don't think this is necessarily bad. The UrbanMech straight up sucks and that can be fine in your campaign - UrbanMechs might be dirt cheap to produce for example. As long as you don't intend to have the players spend character points on their mechs you don't need to balance them. And I'd just get rid of BV completely.

If you want minimal work you should be able to just keep the tactical tabletop part of the game. You will need some kind of minigame for off-camera parts of mech combat - scouting, repairs, flanking maneuvers, camouflage, ambushes and the like. And you need the RPG part. It is probably ok if this doesn't use the same dice system as mech combat. So just steal the basic GURPS or Shadowrun system and use that, adjust attributes, skills and advantages and you are nearly done. You will want to make sure all attributes are important for mech combat though.
Murtak
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Ideally what I'd want isn't really a campaign game though. I want a wargame that you can play in an afternoon, and if you choose to consider two different game days connected in some story way, then that's grand, but that's not the focus of the game.

I want a game where each player is given X many "atoms" of game-power to play with, and they decide on a map to use and then each player picks out some battletech units and then they play. The obvious hope is that two forces of equal point cost are about equal to each other in power. It's an extremely tall order to make, but one can dream.

Even if I can't have that, 3d6 battletech that's oriented towards introducing new players and that includes some good mechs as the "example characters" would be a nice thing to have and share with my friends. Every time I show someone my copy of the Master Rules they open it up and get all bug-eyed at the poor presentation and disorganized complexity.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

I found the core rules pretty easy to understand actually. What do you need to know, really? The base dice system, how hitting and damaging mechs works, how weapon ranges work, how heat works, how cover works. That is about it, isn't it? As for "example characters", just pick appropriate mechs. The Locust, Javelin, Centurion, Catapult and Awesome shouldn't be hard to figure out.

As for balancing mechs .... ugh. I can't see that happening without an enormous amount of effort. You would probably be better off just assigning mechs an arbitrary point cost.
Murtak
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

FrankTrollman wrote:PL, cut the TL;DR bullshit and at least pretend to interact with he argument being made.

Standard Deviation. Do you understand the concept?

-Username17
I wrote up a whole half a large post on it for you right after you brought it up you ass.

So don't TL;DR me, you clearly are not reading my posts.

Especially when you and Murtak both have STILL not actually addressed the intial god damn point of transparency and function in game play.

You know, the one you objected to in the first place.

Not once, not ever.

At no point have you described an actual functional use of this sort of mechanic to so that it avoids that very, very, major issue.

You have so far pulled out an outright failure to appropriately measure your bonus over the range to which you apply it, you have failed at discrete maths in general, you are now going "look standard deviations exist!" (hey you know what else exists? Quantum Physics, lets use that as an RNG mechnic too!).

You have pulled 5 pages now of "look a UFO" as your entire fucking argument.

Yes you have made entirely true claims about math. But, and this is important, you are NOT making actual mathematical proofs. Nor are you using the actual sorts of methods mathematicians or statisticians would use to measure the values of the bonuses you are discussing.

You are simply stating things like 2+2=4 and using them to draw entirely unrelated conclusion THAT IS NOT MATH. That certainly is not a proof of any damn thing.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Brett had a few complaints which mostly just add up to "then why did you even think that you wanted to play battletech in the first place?". And I personally have an easy time understanding everything, but it's a fairly explicit and technical wargame, and I've got asperger's, so it actually matches my "personality" quite well.

The concept of tracking heat is the main point that he seemed to hate. "I should be able to just fire every weapon every single turn!", "well, then don't play a mech that can overheat itself, and you can", but that wasn't good enough for him somehow.

My beef with Battletech is that I used to play with some other folks and we'd balance teams using BV, and my brother would use a million small Inner Sphere SRM tanks, and I kept picking clan mechs, and the SRM tanks would always swarm a mech with their hyper speed and them SRM it to death. After a few variations of me losing over and over, I stated up a mech that had 6 jump MP and 14 Micro Pulse Lasers hooked up to a short range targeting system. It tore through everything with critical hits and then they declared the game completely broken and no fun and quit on me. So yeah, some "arbitrary points system" seems like an improvement compared to that.

Do non-mechs muck up battletech in general? Or is that just our group?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

PL wrote:I wrote up a whole half a large post on it for you right after you brought it up you ass.
I just checked. And by checked, I mean word searched. You have at n time actually talked about Standard Deviations, so no. Stop lying.

When you fill your posts with with insults, swear words, and accusations of crazy bullshit that is obviously false, yeah, I skim. But you haven't shown that you understand how data might be generated by random numbers. Also, you use "dice pool" and curved single random number generation interchangeably, which makes your posts exhausting to try to parse and factually incorrect top to bottom.

Edit: Having found and reread your "rebuttal" several times, no you ever fucking responded. It's like talking to a brick fucking wall. The more granular your RNG is, the "bigger" your statistically significant bonuses have to be. Percentile dice allow you to add more "+3" bonuses, but a +3 bonus is not significant on percentile dice. A statistically equivalent bonus is more like +34. And you can only add that one and a half times.

Playing the sleight of hand game between granularity and statistical depth in face of predefined bonuses doesn't make me think you know math. You come off as complete innumerate.
PL wrote:Especially when you and Murtak both have STILL not actually addressed the intial god damn point of transparency and function in game play.
A +3 bonus means an increase of one standard deviation. This is similar to how a fat increase affects actual data. So I have no idea how it could be more transparent or functional. Seriously, I don't.
Lokathor wrote:The concept of tracking heat is the main point that he seemed to hate. "I should be able to just fire every weapon every single turn!"
Does he flip out whe there s a cool down time for an ability in Diablo II? As complaints go, that's nonsense. Games have resource management. Fucking live with it.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

FrankTrollman wrote:I just checked. And by checked, I mean word searched. You have at n time actually talked about Standard Deviations, so no. Stop lying.
"Bell Curve".

That is essentially the graphical representation of standard Deviation.

You rather expose your lack of familiarity with basic math by getting all in my face about not repeating your essentially meaningless name dropping word for word.
When you fill your posts with with insults, swear words, and accusations of crazy bullshit that is obviously false, yeah, I skim.
You sir do not get to make that accusation. You don't have the posting record to support moral high ground.

Also, you use "dice pool" and curved single random number generation interchangeably
I've been rather at pains to point out they are somewhat different actually. As in pointing out that you know, all this shit about 3d6 still doesn't address anything regarding my initial points about dice pools, you know, because they are NOT the same.

They do however share the major traits of 1) Stupidly opaque and 2) Have incredibly unlikely edge case results
It's like talking to a brick fucking wall. The more granular your RNG is, the "bigger" your statistically significant bonuses have to be.
Yes, that is indeed true. True of ANY RNG. Linear or "curvy". That's discrete math for yah.
Percentile dice allow you to add more "+3" bonuses, but a +3 bonus is not significant on percentile dice. A statistically equivalent bonus is more like +34. And you can only add that one and a half times.
Oh look. The SAME math deception you used the first time five pages back. It didn't work then it won't work now. Use your "averages". (sigh, its like telling a toddler to use his "words")
Playing the sleight of hand game between granularity and statistical depth in face of predefined bonuses doesn't make me think you know math. You come off as complete innumerate.
Well as long as you retain your moral high ground then...
PL wrote:A +3 bonus means an increase of one standard deviation. This is similar to how a fat increase affects actual data. So I have no idea how it could be more transparent or functional. Seriously, I don't.
It could be a flat unchanging "linear" increase to the chances of success.

THAT is transparency.

You yourself are ALL OVER THESE BOARDS telling us time and again. The Math used in RPG mechanics should NOT include multiplication or division, even subtraction is pushing it.

Standard deviation IS multiplication/division. Indeed just a tiny bit worse than that what with the whole discrete maths angle where it is imperfect division/multiplication/curvyness. It is simply too hard for most players.

For the same reason that multiplying your die result by 1.75 or dividing it by 6 is something YOU rather rightly tell everyone never to do.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

PhoneLobster wrote: "Bell Curve".

That is essentially the graphical representation of standard Deviation.
What? No.

A bell curve is just what happens when the standard deviation of a data set is small relative to the difference between extrema.
Last edited by NineInchNall on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Okay, yeah, PL's wrong here.

A bell curve is also called normal distribution, with most events ending up in the middle, and fewer out towards the high or low end.

If I remember my basic statistics, in a bell curve, going three standard deviations either way means you're at the extreme edges of the curve. I forget the EXACT percentage that falls outside of three standard deviations, but isn't it, like, 0.2%?

So if a standard deviation is +3 here, it does make it easier to run the game's math.

Check it out.

http://www.ascd.org/ASCD/images/publica ... fig1.1.gif
Last edited by Maxus on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Zeezy
1st Level

Post by Zeezy »

PhoneLobster, let me see if I understand your position before I attempt to add anything to this debate, lest I look like a fool. You're saying that bell curves (e.g. 3d6) are bad because they do not provide a uniform distribution, thus it is inherently difficult to assign modifiers to them, especially since you probably cannot accurately determine what is the most likely number a player must roll against. Even if you can determine the most likely scenario, it would be unreliable as a base case. Is this correct?
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Hey look!
... the wikipedia entry for Standard Deviation, which you guys yourself told me to look up.

Hey look a whole lot of bell curve graphs appear in the article.

Hey they talk about bell curves and bell shaped normal distributions.

And yes the bell curve IS a graph of normal distribution. But... it is still a bell curve and it is still a graph of data adhering to standard deviation.

See "Standard Deviation", "Normal Distrubution" and "Bell Curve" while not exactly the SAME term, are in-fact ALL terms you use when discussing Standard Deviation.

I chose "bell curve" because that is the "curve" and term most popularly declared as desirable by proponents of 2d6 and 3d6 mechanics. And I can see why, "Bell Curve" sounds a lot more fun after all, AND it looks pretty.

However, if you want to pretend you are indeed numerate you can't go and say the use of the term bell curve to discus this issue is wrong, it is an entirely in context relevant and correct term.

If as Frank claims people WANT their RNG to map standard deviation it means they do in fact want it to map a discrete approximation of a Bell Curve.

Because that IS what it does.

What the fuck LSD you are on that you think you can declare Standard Deviations to be desirable and simultaneously refuse to acknowledge the term Bell Curve must be some pretty strong shit.
Zeezy wrote:PhoneLobster, let me see if I understand your position
After five pages my position covers a lot more points than that but I can hardly say there is anything in your summary which is altogether incorrect.

I would like to add the proviso however that I think you CAN somewhat determine what number (or rather numbers) a player may roll against, or rather what sub set of the range the bonus will effectively be applying to.

Because in RPG design you can in fact to some degree limit and/or cap applicable modifiers. You CAN just say "I will only ever be rolling against the range of 6-14 on my 3d6 and all bonuses will fall within that range".

But if you do that the value of your modifier is NOT determined by the "base case" it is determined by an average case, or at best a weighted average case if you happen to know if a certain part of the RNG is more likely to be used by your system and by how much (pretty difficult data to get, but possible I suppose).

By discussing example systems where the entire RNG is used and there is no specific weighting towards the USE* of any section of it Murtak and Frank are discussing examples where the value of a bonus is, inherently, an average value over the entire discussed range.

Indeed they very specifically and repeatedly used claims about the value of bonus at the "base case" to say the mechanic did very good things at the edge case. That is rather specifically drawing conclusions from data not actually relevant to the conclusions you are drawing.

*I put "use" in bold capitals because I know some dumb ass is inevitably going to misread it.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

What the fuck PhoneLobster? Seriously, what the fuck? Did you even look at the words in the wikipedia article or do you only like looking at pretty pictures?

Hey look there are exactly two bell curve graphs, both of which happen to be the exact damn same graph. Oh, but hey look, you say there are a whole lot of bell curve graphs. Hey look guys, PhoneLobster thinks two is the same as a whole lot. Dumbass.

It's like your knowledge of statistics is solely from hearsay and images. The standard deviation is a measure of spread that can be calculated for any group of data, not just bell curves. A single d20 has a standard variance ( the standard variance is about 5.77, as opposed to the 3d6's 2.96 ). It is not limited to bell curves.

Equating a bell curve with standard deviation is a straight out lie, showing that you have no fucking clue what you are on about.