[Tome]: Spell Scourge [aka magic-stabber]

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

[Tome]: Spell Scourge [aka magic-stabber]

Post by Judging__Eagle »

People want fighters to kill mages. I have no fucking clue why, but what the fuck, I'll build a class that let's them do this.

Spell Scourge

This is a class made with Fullmetal Alchemist in mind. I actually first saw this class on another site though the site is gone now.

This Class is meant to be one that murders spell casting creatures. Since nearly every creature at CR 10+ is full of magic, or anything that carries a magic item, this should be able to compete at high levels.

HD: 1d8

Skills: Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (all, like a wizard), Perception, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Survival, Swim, Tumble, UMD.

Skill Points: 6+Int

Weapon Proficiency: Simple, Martial, One Exotic

Base Attack Progression: Good (As Fighter)
Good Saves: Fort, Will

Move Speed Bonus: As Monk Progression
LevelSavesAbilities
1Spell-Scourge1d6, Eldritch Hound, Mage Slayer
2Acrobatics, Indominable Scourge
3Spell-Scourge 2d6, Path Finder, Mettle
4Evasion, Interruption
5Spell-Scourge 3d6, Mage Hunter
6Interruption, Eldritch Bloodhound
7Spell-Scourge 4d6, Dispell Magic
8[something], Improved Evasion
9Spell-Scourge 5d6, Nondetection
10Spell Resistance, Disruption
11Spell-Scourge 6d6, Nowhere to Hide
12Dispelling Blasts
13Spell-Scourge 7d6, Nowhere to Run
14Spell Rend
15Spell-Scourge 8d6
16Scry and- Die!
17Spell-Scourge 9d6
18Level 18 Appropriate Ability
19Spell-Scourge 10d6
20Nightmare of Gods

Spell-Scourge: Whenever striking a creature that is either a magical creation, or able to create any effect like any spell; the Spell-Scourge gains bonus damage dice to their attacks. These bonus damage dice may only be applied to attacks derived from Base Attack Bonus, and not from special effects like Haste. This damage is [Energy] damage, and ignores Hardness and Damage Reduction.

Things that are included as viable targets are:
-Spell Casters
-Creatures with Spell Like Abilities
-Constructs
-Undead
-Creatures carrying magic items that create a magical effect (from a +1 Sword to a Staff of Shadows)
-Magical Traps
-A Liches Phylactery
-A Wizard's spellbook

If the Spell Scourge multi-classes, they lose this ability unless they had at least 5 levels in the Spell Scourge class.

Mage Slayer (Ex): The Spell Scourge gains the Mage Hunter [Combat] feat from Races of War. If they already have it, they may select a different [Combat] feat.

Eldritch Hound: The Spell Scourge may cast any of the Detect spells at will. Additionally, a Spell Scourge is assumed to have Detect Magic always active, with no maximum range on this effect (assume that as far out as they can make Spot checks, or when blocked by actual walls, that they can see no farther). They also count as fully concentrating their Detect Magic ability at all times. In addition they gain the Track feat. Iaimeki's Track [Skill] feat ideally, the PHB feat if nothing else. Additionally, a Spell Scourge may use a Survival check instead of a Spellcraft check, at any point that they would want to make a Spellcraft check. Finally, you are able to track the trails that magic brought through an area, as if they were a normal set of tracks.

Acrobatics (Ex): Whenever attacked, or forced to make a reflex save; a Spell Scourge may make a Tumble check and use that as their AC or their Reflex Save

Indominable Scourge(Ex): Add Cha bonus to all saving throws

Mettle (Ex): Gained at 3rd Level.

Pathfinder: Gained at 3rd level. Never becomes lost due to poor visibility or difficult terrain. Is not hampered by difficult terrain

Evasion (Ex):Gained at 4th level.

Interruption: Gained at 4th level. Any creature that uses any magic provokes an AoO from you. Even Supernatural and Extraordinary abilities that duplicate spells provoke AoOs from you; as well as using a magical item, even a continual-use item such as a magic sword or magic armour. If a creature is struck, one item that the target was using has it's magic suppressed for 1 round per two Class levels of the Spell Scourge.

Mage Hunter: Gained at 5th level. Gain the Ghost Hunter [Combat] feat, or any other [Combat] feat if you already possess it.

Chain Curse: [Needs work]

Eldritch Bloodhound: Gained at 6th level. Anything that is magic (or can be attacked by your Spell Scourge ability) is treated as if you can smell it as if you had the Scent special ability. Additionally, any use of magic within Medium range can be detected by you if you make a Spellcraft (or Survival) check to identify the spell cast. Remember to take into account penalties for distance, and not observing the spell cast.

Dispell Magic: Gained at 7th. Cast Greater Dispell Magic, at will. Caster level = Character level, no caster level Cap.

Earthbolt: Gained at 8th level. [Needs work]

Improved Evasion: Gained at 8th level

Nondetection: Gained at 9th Level: Is treated as if they are constantly under a Nondetection spell. Caster level equals Character level.

Disruption: (Ex): Starting at 10th level,

Spell Resistance: Gained at 10th level. Gains Spell Resistance equal to 18+Character level.

Nowhere to Hide: Gained at 11th level. Gain True Seeing, at will.

Disruption Wave Gained at 12th Level. Able to use their Greater Dispell Magic in a 120' line, or 60' Cone. Each target is affected, but the Spell Scourge only makes a single roll for this effect.

Nowhere to Run Gained at 13th Level. All creatures within Close (25 + 5' per Character level) Range are affected by a Dimensional Anchor spell. If they somehow do leave this area in a non-mundane manner, the Spell Scourge may duplicate the method that the leaving creature used to travel to where the creature travelled to; and may bring along one ally per two character levels.

Dedicated: Becomes immune to mind-affecting effects.

Spell Rend: Any instantaneous or Permanent spell result may be Disintigrated by the Spell Scourge. Basically, they get Disintigrate at will; caster level is character level, no cap on caster level; and the DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod.

Scry and- Die!: If any creature uses a [Clairvoyant] ability on the Spell Scourge; the Spell Scourge may immediately, as a non-action, True Plane Shift or True Teleport to within 5' of the creature that tried to use a [Clairvoyant] effect on them. A Spell Scourge may intentionally lower their Non-detection ability in order for this scenario to occur.

Level 18 Appropriate Ability: Think of an ability that a CR 18 moster, a spell or that an 18th level Favoured Soul or Sorcerer can cast. You have that ability. You may use it at will. If it is something insane, like Wish, you should use the Tome of Fiends rules for Wishes.

Nightmare of Gods: Gained at 20th level. Able to cast Disjunction as long as they have previously cast Greater Dispell Magic, this is an at-will ability, but requires the Spell Scourge to have used GDM before using the Disjunction ability.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Ok, much better than the Fail train wreck.

Just a few things...

1d6 per 2 levels. Is that really enough?

You reference the Tome. For the people that don't have it open in front of them, can you copy pasta the relevant bits?

I don't get the Game Disjunction bit. Sundertard bullshit aside... doesn't the level 18 feature already do that and other stuff?

Good job on actually giving them enough SR to matter a little though. SR is still mainly a liability, but at least you aren't completely wasting your time.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Eh... 10d6 Energy damage 4 times per round isn't too shabby. That's 40d6 bonus damage at level 16.

That's... really average; if you want to beef it up; grab a second weapon and TWF.

the level 18 ability is one ability, so each Spell Scourge will have their own custom spell.

Probably Wish; since it lets them cast any other spell 8th level or lower; or 7th level anything.

I'll just give them Wish.

Disjunction Itself... I wanted in so that even Gods are threatened by this class. Whatever.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

You have to hit first. You and I both know how many things are in the way of that. How many of those does this counter? I still don't see the Tome stuff reposted.

What is Game Disjunction supposed to do to a deity? Aside from attract them because you destroyed an artifact?
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, if they're level ... 20, they need more dice I think. Probably add their Class levels to the damage.

The thing is, the paladin and barbarian do pretty much the same thing. They use dice like mad. People also like to roll lots of dice.

There's really no need to fill the sheet with copies of RoW material, anyone here would know what I'm referring to, or where to look for the info; and it clutters the actual class layout. Evasion, Mettle and Track aren't elaborated upon either. Really, it's a matter of not wanting it to look cluttered. Although the stuff in question can be pasted at the end of the class write-up.

Well, the whole "break artifacts" part is what threatens Dieties. They get pissed off, and now you get to face stab them; or their avatar. Fun times.

In any case, I just wrote this up so that MGuy knows roughly what is expected here in terms of a character class.

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Bump for finish.

Doesn't look too bad, and it might even get into the Tome PDF one of these days (especially with Utterfail's push to put more community material in).
<something clever>
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

does it need int+6 skills?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Arguably not, though keep in mind that it's not doing much else except "stabbing magic users in the face" so it might as well, but it needs to have Chain Curse, Earthbolt, and Disruption finished, and it could benefit from Improved Mettle (although I think that WotC considers that an "epic" ability, so maybe not.)

EDIT: Also, holy shit. SR 18+ Char level? Well, beats the 5+ Char Level they got from Mage Hunter, though it does waste that ability...
Last edited by Aktariel on Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
<something clever>
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Aktariel wrote: EDIT: Also, holy shit. SR 18+ Char level? Well, beats the 5+ Char Level they got from Mage Hunter, though it does waste that ability...
Actually, no. As per Tome rules, the Mage Hunter SR improves the coverall SR to 19 + Char level.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Ah, you're right. Silly me.

Also: Chain curse was supposed to be, you touch people and other people get hurt too. Like chain lightening, except with Arcane Curse.

Earthbolt takes a little more work, because originally the dude that the class this was based off of was based off of, had the ability to just fvcking kill people by disrupting them. So he could "change his phase" or whatever to nonliving matter, and then punch the ground and have it hurt people. Maybe a line or cone effect for arcane curse that only affects those in the area that would normally be affected by it?
<something clever>
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Earthbolt's Idea and what it came down to in the end (I updated one last time before deciding just to work on making a new system) was to make the arcane curse a ranged attack (Updated and renamed Curse Bolt).
Last edited by MGuy on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Honestly, right now the unfinished parts I'm going to leave that way. Until I get more feedback, the class is pretty powerful as it is. I don't really plan on adding more to it unless it really needs the beefups.

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Sure. I'm just curious as to what you had in mind for Disruption, Earthbolt, and Chain Curse.

Not to be pushy; I'm just going to have a chance to play this class at lower levels, since I know we won't get past 12th level (there's a hard cap.)
<something clever>
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Oh, hmm. They might need to be renamed actually. Sorry that I didn't notice this before.