The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
The Elements
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: The Elements Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Genie class seems like it's just sitting there, unattached to anything. I'm going to try to rectify this problem.

Races:
Genasi
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Elemental-Bodied

Classes:
Elemental Brute

Elemental Weird

Spheres and Feats:
Feats:

Spheres:

Next will come Classes (Elemental Brute and Elemental Weird), and then probably Spheres & Feats. The Elemental Brute is going to be modeled on the Fiendish Brute, and the Weird on the Conduit.

Races are up and pretty well fixed. Elemental Brute and Feats are up. Spheres and Elemental Weird are up.

Last edited by IGTN on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:01 am; edited 13 times in total
schpeelah
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Automatic Languages: Common

I'd change it to "Common and Aquan, Auran, Ignan or Terran, by plane of origin"
Quote:
Ability Scores: Water: +2 Con, +2 Wis

All others have a -2, must have forgotten to add one here as well.
Quote:
Spell-like ability: Feather Fall 3/day (Air)

OK, useful even on Plane of Air. However I think all of these spell-likes should be at-will (Light 1/day? come on!).
Quote:
Earth Glide 1/day (Earth)

I'm not aware of any Earth Glide spell, only Ex ability that does't have a duration or any actual effect without a burrow speed, which they need to have to live on Plane of Earth (Air and Fire Genasi can exist just fine on their planes, why shouldn't Earth Genasi)
Quote:
Water Breathing at will (Water)

SRD wrote:
Creatures with the water subtype always have swim speeds and can move in water without making Swim checks. A water creature can breathe underwater and usually can breathe air as well.

Quote:
Elementoid

Weird name. What's wrong with "Elemental", "Half-Elemental" and "Elemental Creature" or maybe "Humanoid Elemental"?
Quote:
Variable Size

You should not that listed ability score adjustments are for Medium Size.
Quote:
Immune to Poison, Sleep, Paralysis. Does not sleep. Can be flanked, stunned, and critically hit, unlike a monstrous elemental. Light Fortification

Either make an Unliving equivalent subtype or change type to Outsider (Elemental and Air/Water/Fire/Earth Subtypes)
Quote:
Unable to cross opposed element

Air and Earth are nonsensical, Air is also vague. Fire and Water should just take damage, that's what happens to Fire elementals on the Plane of Water.
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is an excellent idea, thanks IGTN. My personal preference, however, is that genasi are more in line with Aasimar. The highest attribute of all genies is strength, so for attribute modifiers I'd just give +2 to that. I think it's warranted to give air genasi (genie genasi) the air subtype, which automagically comes with a fly speed. My first through is to make it 10' (good), which allows hovering and breaking certain challenges in interesting ways. Similarly, fire (efrit) genasi should have the fire subtype, water (marid) genasi the water type, and earth (dao) genasi the earth.

That's all pretty strong (especially the fire subtype), but not quite interesting enough. The fire guys should get produce flame at least 1/day, because that's what artists will always have them doing. Gust of wind 1/day probably isn't overpowered for air genasi, but still gives them a method of rocket propulsion and cloud dispersion that remains useful even at higher levels. You could give earth genasi the dao's "push" ability (something like improved bull rush). I have no idea what to give marid. Create water at will might be a little too silly.

All genasi tend to be attractive and muscular, with cosmetic details that give away their heritage.

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right, right. This stuff's a first draft, and I wasn't happy with a lot of it, like the Elementoid name, either. "Elemental" is also the name of the type and the name of a bunch of monsters in the MM, so I didn't want to add another Elemental to things to make it more difficult. Basically, I need a short-ish name that conveys that this race builds into being the MM elementals.

I'm not entirely sure if I agree with giving all of them +STR, but since all three MM genies have it, I guess it goes on, in exchange for one of the other increases. Air needs a -something else, though, maybe Wis or Con.

It's in the variable traits section, but Genasi do get the appropriate elemental subtype. I completely forgot about Produce Flame when assigning Genasi their SLAs. When I revise these Genasi, Fire will have Produce Flame instead of Pyrotechnics (basically, I was giving a shitty SLA in exchange for a subtype that does stuff in combat, but, on the other hand, sticking the Fire subtype on something is probably a net zero, or even negative). Air might get Gust of Wind, or Levitate, or something, although I kinda like them having Feather Fall, and if they want more they can get it granted in Sphere form.

Schpeelah:
I'm following the precedent set by Aasimar and Tieflings here; they don't speak planar languages by default because they're far from their planar lineage, Genasi don't speak Elemental languages for the same reason. Genasi who embrace their ancestry are likely to learn their Genie side's language, but the average Genasi on the street is probably 4th-generation Material.

The Earth Glide spell is from Races of Stone, according to the Spheres list.

I think I meant for Small Elementoids to get the same adjustments as Medium, although maybe I should stack Halfling adjustments onto the Small Elementoids as well. I might take off the Variable Size instead and just make them Medium.

I'll do the type changes. I'm not sure which way, yet, but I'll fix it.

Unable to Cross opposed element was added, basically, because I was worried that piling on the elemental immunities was overpowered. Taking those away, though, they might not need the nerf, so I can take it away.

For it, though, Air was meant to reference the Squeezing heading here. Basically, if the constraints its trying to squeeze past are earth, stone, and metal on all sides, then the Air Elemental simply cannot enter. The Earth Elemental, in exchange, gets trouble if it tries to fly.

That said, movement penalties like this just act to exclude a player from parts of the adventure. It's probably best to just take them off and replace them with actually balanced combat abilities.

Time for a major revision.
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IGTN wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if I agree with giving all of them +STR, but since all three MM genies have it, I guess it goes on, in exchange for one of the other increases. Air needs a -something else, though, maybe Wis or Con.

Why does Air need a boost?

IGTN wrote:
It's in the variable traits section, but Genasi do get the appropriate elemental subtype. I completely forgot about Produce Flame when assigning Genasi their SLAs. When I revise these Genasi, Fire will have Produce Flame instead of Pyrotechnics (basically, I was giving a shitty SLA in exchange for a subtype that does stuff in combat, but, on the other hand, sticking the Fire subtype on something is probably a net zero, or even negative). Air might get Gust of Wind, or Levitate, or something, although I kinda like them having Feather Fall, and if they want more they can get it granted in Sphere form.

My bad, I didn't read well enough. The fact that the air subtype comes with free flight, however, makes feather fall a bit superfluous. Also, pyrotechnics is by no means a shitty spell.

On the favored classes front, they should really all get genie. I mean, why would the child of an efrit be more likely to follow the path of her ancestors than a marid? Not that having genie as a favored class does anything...

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Air has -Str right now. If that's changing to +Str, their -Stat has to go somewhere else.

I forgot that I didn't give Fire Pyrotechnics. An earlier prewrite had something like Pyrotechnics 1/week instead of Light 1/day.

But Fire is the weakest subtype here, so they need a good SLA.
schpeelah
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Re: Languages: Yeah, my bad, I was reading "with minor infusions of elemental essense before birth" as "born on Elemental Planes" (I had the idea stuck in my head for some time already). I was also going by the fact that most non-human races have Common + some other language.

Unable to cross opposed element: considering the kind of crowd that posts here you'd eventually have a 5-page discussion about how much wood an Air Genasi has to stick into a hole in the ground before he can crawl into it. It's easier to just give them claustrophobia.
Relevant text in Heroes of Horror wrote:
When a character with a mild
phobia encounters the object of her phobia, she must make
a successful Will save or become shaken. The DC of the save
equals 12 + the CR of the challenge that is the object of the
phobia. (Treat CRs of less than 1 as 0.)
A moderate phobia requires the character to succeed on
a Will save (DC 14 + the CR of the challenge) or become
frightened.
A severe phobia requires the character to succeed on a Will
save (DC 16 + the CR of the challenge) or become panicked.
Cramped Quarters: This phobia can by activated by any
situation that calls for an Escape Artist check, including
grappling. It also applies whenever the character is paralyzed.
The effective CR equals the CR of the creature grapplling
the character, or 1 for every 5 points by which the DC of the
Escape Artist check exceeds 10, or the saving throw DC of
the paralysis effect 10. A character with this phobia can
never initiate a grapple.

Come to think of it, phobias are possibly the way to go if you decide to keep some form of this "ability".
Also, most forms of flight do not actually care how heavy you are. I'd give a couple suggestions for a better mechanic, but that's still nerfing something an Earth genasi is even necessarily ever going to have.
Edit: Oh, and I checked the Earth Glide spell. The spell just grants the ability for 1 minute/level and, unless there is some extra clarification somewhere, the ability still doesn't do anything. It doesn't say how fast you can glide, gliding isn't anywhere in the movement rules and Earth Glide doesn't grant you a burrowing speed (also missing from the Earth Elemental entry, meaning it can't use it either) or a "Swim through Ground" speed.

Last edited by schpeelah on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IGTN wrote:
Air has -Str right now. If that's changing to +Str, their -Stat has to go somewhere else.

I forgot that I didn't give Fire Pyrotechnics. An earlier prewrite had something like Pyrotechnics 1/week instead of Light 1/day.

But Fire is the weakest subtype here, so they need a good SLA.

My reccomendation was that Strength +2 by the only attribute modifier that any genasi get. Produce flame is a fairly kickass SLA for rogue-types, being generally better and less expensive than acid flasks. The fire subtype allows a number of fun and antisocial exploits, like lighting yourself on fire or creating interesting 'terrain effects' that you're mostly immune to like burning inns. Fire immunity outweighs cold vulnerability in a PC, because covering up your weakness is always an option.

If you really think that fire genasi would be underpowered as written, making produce flame an at-will would be an even greater boost for the right character types.

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, +2 STR as their only adjustment it is. Also makes Favored Class selection easier, since now I don't have to play to ability bonuses and penalties.

They do run into a bit of a risk of overshadowing half-orcs if they do this, but as long as they don't share its favored classes and have some points weaker, they should still be good. Also, the Half-orc is underpowered. Overall, they come out looking like a Tiefling.

Yeah, Produce Flame is a good SLA for the right builds. I'm not concerned about the choice there. I'm also not really concerned about subtype power; it's just that (Air): You can fly from level 1 on. (Earth): You can burrow. (Water): You can swim. (Fire): You're immune to fire and take extra damage from cold. Fire is the only one that comes with a weakness. But, yes, PCs are good at covering weaknesses, so (Fire) is an awesome choice of subtype.

What kind of schedule should they be on? Right now, in the revision I'm working on, I have their SLAs at 1/day Gust of Wind, or 3/day Pass w/o Trace, Produce Flame, or Obscuring Mist. I'm not entirely happy about Obscuring Mist as the Water Genasi power, though; I might replace it with something like Grease. Pass without Trace is, likewise, a kinda weak selection for Earth; I was also considering 1/day Soften Earth and Stone. As it is, though, this is as good or better than the Tiefling, who gets a spell that ranges between 2nd and 0th level 1/day.

Fundamentally, there just aren't very many good low-level (meaning 1st level) Earth or Water spells.

E: also, has anyone noticed that the MM genies are pretty clearly made of something much denser than human flesh? I mean, the Djinni has a BMI of 44 and the Efreeti of 66.

Last edited by IGTN on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IGTN wrote:
Alright, +2 STR as their only adjustment it is. Also makes Favored Class selection easier, since now I don't have to play to ability bonuses and penalties.

They do run into a bit of a risk of overshadowing half-orcs if they do this, but as long as they don't share its favored classes and have some points weaker, they should still be good. Also, the Half-orc is underpowered. Overall, they come out looking like a Tiefling.

Yeah, they pretty much wipe the floor with the half-orc, but are probably on par with aasimar and tieflings (which get boosts to kickass attributes, but have weaker subtypes & movement). Depending on what you choose to do with the other abilities, attribute adjustments could simply be dropped altogether.

IGTN wrote:
Yeah, Produce Flame is a good SLA for the right builds. I'm not concerned about the choice there. I'm also not really concerned about subtype power; it's just that (Air): You can fly from level 1 on. (Earth): You can burrow. (Water): You can swim. (Fire): You're immune to fire and take extra damage from cold. Fire is the only one that comes with a weakness. But, yes, PCs are good at covering weaknesses, so (Fire) is an awesome choice of subtype.

What kind of schedule should they be on? Right now, in the revision I'm working on, I have their SLAs at 1/day Gust of Wind, or 3/day Pass w/o Trace, Produce Flame, or Obscuring Mist. I'm not entirely happy about Obscuring Mist as the Water Genasi power, though; I might replace it with something like Grease. Pass without Trace is, likewise, a kinda weak selection for Earth; I was also considering 1/day Soften Earth and Stone. As it is, though, this is as good or better than the Tiefling, who gets a spell that ranges between 2nd and 0th level 1/day.

Fundamentally, there just aren't very many good low-level (meaning 1st level) Earth or Water spells.

They don't need to have spell-likes. An earth genasi would be perfectly serviceable with a +1 natural armor bonus or something. Control water could make a fun spell-like for marid genasi. It's 4th level, and has the potential to cause wide-scale damage, but doesn't have general combat applications. And it's very fitting.

The one problem I'm seeing with the abilities is that they have a natural tendency to overlap with True Genie rather than synergize. As it stands, a genasi is almost always best off not following her heritage when she becomes a True Genie.

A Janni genasi would also be interesting. At the moment all I can think of giving them is the ability to choose which track they get their abilities from at each level of True Genie.

An aasimar (or tiefling) can be the descendant of a genie and take the True Genie class. Given the choice, I'd probably try something like an aasimar (efrit-descended) True Genie 1/Monk X over a fire genasi.

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With what you just said in mind, I have a revision of the Genasi that I'm vaguely happy with:

Spell-likes are gone, except for the Fire Genasi, which makes the overlap problem smaller.

I'm not sure what to do about a Janni Genasi's racial traits either; what you suggested sounds like it could work.

Elementoid is going on the back burner for now. Also, the first time I tried to write up the Elemental Brute I ran into a snag in that elementals don't fight like Fiends, so modeling it closely on the Fiendish Brute won't help. I'll probably back-burner that project and do the Weird first, since there isn't a whole lot to do for its Spheres.

Last edited by IGTN on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that looks sufficiently kickass without being too good. Maybe giving janni genasi the DC boost to all elemental spells would do it? Actually, both DC & caster level +1 (for all genasi) might make it more generally useful without pushing it too far.

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright. I've made a few minor tweaks, mostly formatting, and put the Genasi in the first post. I added notes on Material and Shadow Genasi.

I'm not sure about putting in a caster level boost; the DC boost was there to make up for not getting any increases to their casting stats. While it's in there it wouldn't be too bad to give a caster level bonus, but it's not in this revision; it doesn't seem particularly necessary. They get nifty things if they go basher or caster.

Now time for the Elementoids fix. I'm going to start with the name, as soon as inspiration strikes me.
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem with giving someone +1 to the DC of water spells is that it's beneficial with 1, maybe 2 spells in the entire game. At least a CL boost improves the duration of elemental summons.

The shadow genasi look cool. Basically medium sized gnomes.

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
Prak
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IGTN wrote:
Right, right. This stuff's a first draft, and I wasn't happy with a lot of it, like the Elementoid name, either. "Elemental" is also the name of the type and the name of a bunch of monsters in the MM, so I didn't want to add another Elemental to things to make it more difficult. Basically, I need a short-ish name that conveys that this race builds into being the MM elementals.

the fact that it's supposed to build into the MM elementals actually makes my first thought for a name for them work: Elementolem, a portmanteau of Element[al] and golem, golem means "incomplete being" so, that makes it work.

and, just to make sure I understand, the decision to leave genasi at +2 str and no other ability mods was made so as to not over shadow the other races once all the other abilities are added on, right?
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Catharz: Alright, I'm convinced on the caster level boost. I don't know if there are any [Water] spells that allow non-harmless saves in the SRD; going to the spell filter says that casting Control Water on a Water Elemental allows one. That's esoteric enough that the CL boost is necessary.

Prak: Genasi were left at +2 Str because that's the thing all genies (except the Khayal) have in common, with no other ability mods because they make them messy and specialized, and I was having trouble coming up with thematic changes (+2/-2 pairs) that 1) didn't step on each others' toes, 2) allowed the favored classes I wanted, and 3) were thematically justifiable for the element.

The -olem suffix, or something like it, seems good. Elementals and Golems as D&D creatures are pretty connected, but it might be just what I needed. I was talking to someone else about this project, and we hit on the idea of stripping the word "Mephit" for parts, too.

So something like Mephelom, maybe. If I still like it in the morning and don't see anything better, that'll probably be the new working title.

I have it. They're going up as the Elemental-Bodied, which also nicely shortens down for use in actual play.

Last edited by IGTN on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Double-posting because progress has been made.

A draft of the Elemental Bodied is up, and now the Elemental Brute, and its feats, have a draft up. It's a bit stronger, in terms of raw numbers, than the Fiendish Brute, since it gets Cleric BAB, but it gets fewer natural weapons (one, and a feat for one more), and Elementals lack the versatility Fiends do, in terms of weaponry (seriously, no spines, no poison sacks, no pincers, no stinger, just a pair of slams). The Elemental Brute is meant to be a bit more like a Fighter (is supposed to ideally be) than a Barbarian, using special combat maneuvers to get battlefield control, instead of wailing for damage.
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A character grappled by someone with Drowning Grasp should be considered "underwater". This forces characters without water breathing to hold their breath; this results in a nice combination of 'if you're aquatic I vortex you, if you're a land-lubber I drown you'. I'd remove the Edge case. In fact, you could combine this with Drench (which is rather weak).

So: you can vortex, anyone you grapple with is underwater (this includes you being grappled), and you can put out fires.

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, I'll change Drowning Grasp that way in the next draft. That makes it grant Edge easier if you're a 3rd level Brute, anyway, since Water Mastery gives you Edge over anyone immersed in water.

I'm not entirely sure about adding Drench to it, since Drench includes a 50% chance (essentially) to negate any Fireball or similar effect that hits you. Still, if Drench looks that bad, then it goes in.

Also, I'm thinking about combining Solid Body onto Primal Fortification, since the former may be a bit weak on its own. That makes full elemental traits into three feats (Hardiness, Primal Fort, and Unstoppable Force), which even then might be a bit high of a price.

Last edited by IGTN on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Solid Body + Primal Fort makes a lot of sense. For Elemental Resistance, you might consider swapping earth and water for the resistances: water can still freeze, but it will harmlessly conduct or disperse electricity. Yeah, I know that the whole 'grounded' thing is hilarious, but in this case I think that it's better to say that rocks are less likely to freeze than water.

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
schpeelah
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your work is rounding up nicely. Congrats.

And now it's time for another portion of my usual complaining.

Abode of Earth: I feel it should give the option to get +x bonus to burrow speed instead. In previous editions there were more things that set your stats to Y and these are not present now because this kind of thing was deemed a bad idea.

Breath of the Elements: Breath weapons usually have a cooldown instead of limited uses per day. I think 5 rounds would be okay, it's a (relatively) low-damage area attack you want to use to kill large numbers of mooks, not something you save up for the boss fight.

Burn & Drench are really cool, I love them.

Quote:
You can transform into the signature Whirlwind of the Air Elementals.

This creates an amusing mental image of a tornado composed of elementals flying in circles really fast as a sort of Whirlwind Megazord.
"You gain the signature ability of Air Elementals to transform into a Whirlwind"

Primal Armor is IMO underpowered. Better choices would be:
a) DR 1/2 levels
b) Energy Resistance equal to level to two types of energy + DR 1/3 levels round up
c) Enhancement Bonus to AC 1/3 levels.
But I'm not too sure about that.

Infusion of Elemental Essence and Psuedoelemental Being should note that they can only be taken at 1st character level

Solid Body: "You also gain +2 to Perception checks" You mean Escape Artist checks, right? I'd also add the ability to squeeze through narrow spaces. And possibly a second feat that gives Freedom of Movement to non-Earth Elementals (you can't really grab, shackle or tie up a living mass of air or water).
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Catharz: Dao get Electricity Immunity; I was matching it to the Genies. Still, elementals aren't genies. That change goes in.

Schpeelah:
I'll give Abode of Earth a speed increase option. Probably +10' if you're already faster than 20'.

Breath of the Elements will get a cooldown, sure.

Whirlwind will be rephrased as you suggested.

Primal Armor will be raised to 1/2 rounded up. I put it as low as I did because I was worried that, if you grabbed it and went, say, Knight or Barbarian you can get ridiculous damage reduction. If I'm the only one worried there, then it's probably not dangerous; besides, resisting your level in damage every attack isn't really broken except against death by 1000 cuts people, and it's fine if Genasi Knight > 1000 cuts, always.

Psuedoelemental Being does in my notes; if it doesn't I'll fix it. Infusion of Elemental Essence I was half-considering allowing people to get infused with elemental essence after they adventure, but that might be a time to rebuild your character.

Escape Artist would be good on Solid Body, yes. I had Perception to go with can't be flanked, but it doesn't go with the justification I gave. I'll probably be taking the skill bonus out altogether when I merge it with the other one, though. Can't be flanked or critically hit doesn't need a skill bonus to be awesome.
(E: The Escape Artist feat is in as Uncanny Flexibility. Immunity to flanking got moved to Primal Fortification)

Last edited by IGTN on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The other half of the progression is up, and with it 15 new Spheres, almost as many as were in the Tome of Fiends.
CatharzGodfoot
King

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks great. Just a few minor things: Roots should perhaps give entangle, there's still some Conduit text under "Enhanced Sphere Access", and IMO fire creatures should generally have climb speeds.

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
IGTN
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Roots should probably give Entangle, but then I'd have to take it off Plant, and I'm not sure what to put there. I could just swap the level 1 spells from each of them, leaving Plants as a utility sphere and Roots as a combat sphere. Alternately, I can give Plants Shillelagh or Snare.

I'm not entirely sure how I would give Fire a climb speed at this point in the project, although I could change around the skill bonuses. Probably should, actually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention... All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: