Folk Lore weaknesses for monsters

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Folk Lore weaknesses for monsters

Post by Prak »

Specifically Kappa.

So, if it's a monster, I guess you just make it a puzzle monster and CR accordingly. right.

What if you want Kappa as a playable race? what the hell is one supposed to do with a race that is immediately helpless and subservient if it's head juice* spills?

*Kappa Head Juice totally needs to be a drink in some fantasy/sci fi asian setting...
K
King

Re: Folk Lore weaknesses for monsters

Post by K »

Prak_Anima wrote:Specifically Kappa.

So, if it's a monster, I guess you just make it a puzzle monster and CR accordingly. right.

What if you want Kappa as a playable race? what the hell is one supposed to do with a race that is immediately helpless and subservient if it's head juice* spills?

*Kappa Head Juice totally needs to be a drink in some fantasy/sci fi asian setting...
I personally hate puzzle monsters. At best, you get an auto-lose monster. At worse, you punish and maybe TPK the party because they didn't read the MM as well are you and/or failed a Knowledge check.
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

Well, puzzle monsters can be done decently with the right foreshadowing and set up.

The problem with them is that they can't be black and white; you have the solution and it's easy town or you don't and it's impossible.

Instead you need something like mega-man. If you have the solution it's easier but still not a gimme, if you don't it's still possible but fairly hard.

There also needs to be a good amount of foreshadowing.

CRing puzzle monsters is nigh impossible.

As far as making puzzle monsters playable... you can't. At least not in anyway I can conceive. They are just far too open for abuse in player hands.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Re: Folk Lore weaknesses for monsters

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

K wrote: I personally hate puzzle monsters. At best, you get an auto-lose monster. At worse, you punish and maybe TPK the party because they didn't read the MM as well are you and/or failed a Knowledge check.
Puzzle monsters shouldn't exist in the base MM. At all.

They should always be unique monsters to a given quest. And after you've fought one a few times, they should basically just go away and never be heard from again.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Kappa weaknesses?
Credulous: Kappa take a -4 penalty when making a check opposed to Diplomacy or Bluff.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Puzzle monsters are fine if there are ways to take it out other than it's one weakness, or if it is foreshadowed out the ass. Take wererats for example, our CR 2 group went up against 5 of them, we would have lost or fought to a stand still except the druid was able to spam sandblast and knock them all out. It would also be fine to have a big foozl which can only be slain with magic sword X, as long as you send the PCs on a quest for said magic sword.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I would like to suggest an alternate approach.

I remember playing Mega Man X a lot back in the day. Every boss monster had a weakness and exploiting that weakness really helped, but doing so would make the boss monster change attack patterns.

Would that be something that's workable? You can beat the boss without the weakness it's just harder; you can exploit the weakness but the attack pattern changes making it easier but no cake-walk.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok... remember, I'm asking for the purposes of making a playable race. If I were just making Kappas monsters that you come through and fight, I wouldn't worry so much, but players need to be able to play these things