Whatever Happened to CAN?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

TheWorid
Master

Whatever Happened to CAN?

Post by TheWorid »

Exactly what it says in the title. I really liked the idea, but I don't see it discussed anymore.

Did it just die with TNE? I wasn't around for the original discussions (although I've read them), and "CAN" is a hard term to search for.
FrankTrollman wrote:Coming or going, you must deny people their fervent wishes, because their genuine desire is retarded and impossible.
Spike
Apprentice

Post by Spike »

Hm... I opened this thread to see what the title meant. Interestingly, it refers to exactly what the title says.

I'm caught in a recursive loop... somebody toss me a line here...
This being the Internet it follows that Everything I say must be the Complete Truth or Utter Falsehood. I prefer both at the same time.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

CAN is "Combat Advantage Number" or something. I last saw it in 'Status effects should make you easier to kill'.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51898
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Combat Advantage Number. Here's the original thread.

Edit: Ninja'd by quite a bit. Damned tabbed browsers!

Double Edit: Actually, it looks like I linked to the original CAN thread and RadiantPhoenix linked to a different one, so it wasn't a total ninja. :p
Last edited by RobbyPants on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

I wasn't asking for what it is; I said that I've read the threads. What I'm asking about is if anyone is actually doing anything with it, or if it's just something that very occasionally gets mentioned. I was interested in possibly using a version of it in the game I'm working on, so I'm curious if anyone else has implemented it or has any new thoughts on it.
FrankTrollman wrote:Coming or going, you must deny people their fervent wishes, because their genuine desire is retarded and impossible.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TheWorid wrote:I wasn't asking for what it is; I said that I've read the threads. What I'm asking about is if anyone is actually doing anything with it, or if it's just something that very occasionally gets mentioned. I was interested in possibly using a version of it in the game I'm working on, so I'm curious if anyone else has implemented it or has any new thoughts on it.
I was sort of going to implement it in d20 Iron, but I could never really figure out what CAN is, even from reading the threads, so I didn't.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

TheWorid wrote:I wasn't asking for what it is; I said that I've read the threads.
I was responding to Spike's question.
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

RobbyPants wrote:I was responding to Spike's question.
Ah, I see. My mistake.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The book I am most working on at the moment is alt.war: SEAsia Edition. That uses a fixed hit points soak system of damage.

But the second thing I am working on is Doubt. Doubt will probably have a pure condition damage system. So yeah, it will have Combat Advantage Numbers in it.

-Username17
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

I'm using something resembling CAN in a board game I am intermittently developing, but when I mentioned it on the forum before I got a lot of negative reactions to my adaptation (though many were based on the critic's incorrect math or details that I explicitly said weren't final).
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Wasn't it brought up before in a discussion about HP, Attacking, and damage? I think it was one of Lago's rants.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Using something similar to CAN in CandyLand. Two tracks...
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

I just realized that CAN is kind of like a more generalized version of this:
http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/UA:Injury

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who didn't realize that until just now.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Hey, I'm trying to conceptualize CAN, and I'm a little confused (conflicting messages in the linked threads) about how it works. Is it as follows?

You have 2 CANs, offensive and defensive. These can be improved or weakened if you have good/bad positioning (higher ground, surprised, etc.). They are also affected by your statuses.

When you take a hit that would deal damage, you instead are hit with a certain tier of effect. Tier 1 effects give you -1 to both CANs and are the equivalent of being winded. Tier 2 effects give you -2 pealty to both CANs and are the equivalent of a solid cut. Tier 3 effects are a huge blow and give you a -3 penalty to both CANs. Tier 4 effects are death.

All CAN penalties stack, but the effects do not (you can only be winded once, but you can be hit by Tier 1 effects twice for -1(2) = -2 CAN).
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

In my opinion, the essential idea is that you die when a single attack hits you hard enough instead of when you accumulate a fixed amount of damage. Attacks that hurt you but don't kill you make you more vulnerable to future attacks (since they definitionally cannot take away HP). Theoretically, there is no limit to the amount of wounds or other effects you can be under at one time, though for a particular attacker there is a limit beyond which the next attack is guaranteed to kill you because the attacker's relative bonus is so large.

Within the proposed system, CAN is just your attack bonus/AC. It's added to your attack roll and compared to your opponent's number to see whether you hit, and how hard.

I believe there were proposals that specified the dice rolled, the bonus range, the number of degrees of success (and the required margins to achieve them), a classification system for wound effects, and so forth. But I think people would still consider it a CAN system if you tweaked any or all of those.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

Why not simply have one value, lets call it ... morale? Consisting of your level, possible bonuses based on class/items/etc and penalties based on conditions and how far down you are on the hitpoint track. To get CAN for an attack simply subtract your opponents morale from your own.
Last edited by MfA on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

It's linked earlier in the thread, but basically, I believe CAN works like this: When you attack someone, you roll a die, add a number, maybe several numbers, and compare it to a table. This tells you what level of effect you have on your enemy. If you roll low enough, you don't hurt them, and if you roll high enough, you kill them. In between the two extremes lie a series of intermediate conditions that give a bonus to future rolls against that victim, making it easier to inflict nastier conditions in the future.

Did I get it right?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:It's linked earlier in the thread, but basically, I believe CAN works like this: When you attack someone, you roll a die, add a number, maybe several numbers, and compare it to a table. This tells you what level of effect you have on your enemy. If you roll low enough, you don't hurt them, and if you roll high enough, you kill them. In between the two extremes lie a series of intermediate conditions that give a bonus to future rolls against that victim, making it easier to inflict nastier conditions in the future.

Did I get it right?
Tables may or may not be involved. You could have attack thresholds listed for the attack or any of a number of other systems. The point is that when you make an attack, the result is that you inflict a status effect, not that you subtract hit points. Statuses improve the chance that a subsequent inflicted effect will be an incapacitating effect.

The key is that you don't have to subtract or to keep track of different damage rolls from turn to turn. Injury can be handled by handing around actual cards or making check marks on your sheet or whatever.

-Username17
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

FrankTrollman wrote:The key is that you don't have to subtract or to keep track of different damage rolls from turn to turn. Injury can be handled by handing around actual cards or making check marks on your sheet or whatever.
Technically, those methods work equally well for keeping track of standard HP damage, as long as the numbers are small enough. Games like Arkham Horror or Descent track damage by pushing around tokens representing your HP and that works just fine.

If that were the only goal, then using CAN would be needlessly complicated and rather arbitrary.
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:I just realized that CAN is kind of like a more generalized version of this:
http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/UA:Injury

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who didn't realize that until just now.
It's also kind of like the damage system used in Mutants and Masterminds.

Is there any way to do this in which CAN changes the effects/moves you can use or inflict, but not the actual numbers you add (which would be largely static)? For example, I have three advantages against my opponent (say, high ground, he is damaged, and I have a masterwork sword), and that lets me roll to use a Level 3 move against him, which means I'm rolling to see if I chop his head off rather than rolling for a Level 1 move that can only hit him in the arm or something.

Damage effects don't generally penalize Offensive CAN, right? Because otherwise the difference between CAN levels remains largely static between opponents of similar ability through the course of a battle.