Roleplaying in the Berserk Universe

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ghostwheel
Master

Roleplaying in the Berserk Universe

Post by Ghostwheel »

Does anyone have any suggestions for RP in the Berserk universe? Just to be clear, someone like Guts (the protagonist) would be just about at the highest level of what PCs can achieve in this kind of world.

A friend suggested going with aWoD and sticking to just mortal types along with changing the skills/backgrounds to match a more medieval universe; would that be a good idea, or is there a better system for this kind of game?
Last edited by Ghostwheel on Mon May 09, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

FATAL
Ghostwheel
Master

Post by Ghostwheel »

Fail troll is fail.

Edit: Preemptively, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is also dumb.
Last edited by Ghostwheel on Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

E6?
Ghostwheel
Master

Post by Ghostwheel »

I don't think D&D is the way to go with this one--characters gain power on a scale that doesn't jive with the general dark fantasy archetypes, doesn't have good rules for diplomacy-type stuff, has Hollywood healing, etc.

Would a slightly changed aWoD be the best bet then?

Edit: Alternatively, my DM wants to run a game in the Song of Ice and Fire world--would aWoD work for that as well?
Last edited by Ghostwheel on Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

Berserk isn't that suited for a tabletop rpg anyway. Behelits are basically a guaranteed way to destroy the party and make everyone mad, people who aren't Guts or the Skull Knight specifically have 0 percent chance of defeating an apostle, no matter the numbers they show up in. Magical characters are playing a completely different game to everyone else and any combat with them probably won't include anyone else (their spells take way too long to cast).
Ghostwheel
Master

Post by Ghostwheel »

The main point was less behelits and apostles and more a bunch of above-average people adventuring in a dark fantasy low magic campaign that's filled with intrigue, interesting characters, potential for politics, etc.

Think the first arc when Guts and Griffith were together, rather than everything that happened afterwards.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

Ghostwheel wrote:I don't think D&D is the way to go with this one--characters gain power on a scale that doesn't jive with the general dark fantasy archetypes, doesn't have good rules for diplomacy-type stuff, has Hollywood healing, etc.

Would a slightly changed aWoD be the best bet then?

Edit: Alternatively, my DM wants to run a game in the Song of Ice and Fire world--would aWoD work for that as well?
There's an official SIF RPG, but it's badly edited, badly balanced, and a little bland.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Ghostwheel wrote:Think the first arc when Guts and Griffith were together, rather than everything that happened afterwards.
Now I've only watched the anime but that's basically the bit that covers right?

The bit that was basically ALL a flash back.

And had multiple episode arcs that were in turn flash backs within that flash back.

And in those episodes there were flash backs?

That Berserk right.

I think you may need a custom RPG system. No system to my knowledge is capable of resolving that many nested flashbacks.

You will definitely need to build something from the ground up to accommodate the need for customized flashback within flashback within flashback mechanics.

Not to mention the extra rules required to account for all the phallic imagery and very thinly veiled excessive sexual innuendo. You are gonna need a lot of custom work to carry the sheer weight of that too... *edit: GOOD LORD... Fatal really IS halfway there!
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Ghostwheel
Master

Post by Ghostwheel »

Ignore the flashbacks and the phallic imagery for a moment; play pretend with me here, and pretend that the whole flashback is everything we're looking to recreate, as though it was--remember, pretend--cognizant and logical and such. Forget all the crap. Just concentrate on the time from when Guts joins the Band of the Hawk to when he leaves them. We might even add up to the point where they free Griffith, but no farther. That's what we're going for.

Does that clear things up at all?
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Ghostwheel wrote:Just concentrate on the time from when Guts joins the Band of the Hawk to when he leaves them.
I'm not sure I can pinpoint that "time" within any meaningful linear context. How many flashbacks deep is it and which flashbacks at the same depth occur exist float around in a wibbly wobbly spooky flash back transition way before, after and during it?
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Mon May 09, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Ghostwheel
Master

Post by Ghostwheel »

I haven't watched it in a while, but from what I remember...

Guts was good with a sword.
He joined the Hawks.
He won some battles.
He helped Griffith get rid of some political opponents.
He did some dirty work for him.
He decided to leave.
Griffith got mad and did something irrational like sleeping with the King's daughter.
He got locked up and tortured.
Guts hears about it and saves him with some of the other members of the Band of the Hawk who are now labeled as traitors.

And... that, as far as I remember are the relevent bits. Though I haven't watched/read it in ages, so I might be forgetting some stuff. Oh yeah, there was fighting too. And people got wounded. But that's about it.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Yeah, those bits are standard low-low magic fantasy.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Ghostwheel wrote:
Does that clear things up at all?
So pretty much most of Berserk and pretty everything that makes it such. Why even call it playing in the Berserk Universe then. It would be just Dark fantasy.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Ghostwheel
Master

Post by Ghostwheel »

Right; so that series has the camera constantly on Guts rather than the rest of the Band of the Hawk. What's a good RPG for RPing in such a world with similar characters?

Heck, you could have a party made of Guts (the big guy), Griffith (the hero), Caska (heart of the group), Corkus (the lancer), Judeau (the smart/sneaky guy).

I'm pulling the names from what I remember with help from the character list on wikipedia--but what RPG would be good for RPing these kinds of characters in that sort of world?

Edit:
Leress wrote:So pretty much most of Berserk and pretty everything that makes it such. Why even call it playing in the Berserk Universe then. It would be just Dark fantasy.
That would probably be a better label for it, yeah. It's just that that's the first thing that came to mind when my group discussed it.
Last edited by Ghostwheel on Mon May 09, 2011 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Use the exalted system, but stick with mortals/heroic mortals? That or re-wicker WEG's Star Wars d6 system. Either one should give you that nasty combat where everyone dies. Exalted has a built in supernatural system which is unfair to everyone who doesn't play in it, which seems about right. Also, it already has stats for giant swords.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

For some of Guts stunts - like fighting dozens of enemies at once - D&D seems a good choice.
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

You can use pretty much anything. I would first recommend any gaming system that you're familiar with and follow that up with AWoD and then D&D.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

Ghostwheel wrote:I haven't watched it in a while, but from what I remember...

Guts was good with a sword.
He joined the Hawks.
He won some battles.
He helped Griffith get rid of some political opponents.
He did some dirty work for him.
He decided to leave.
Griffith got mad and did something irrational like sleeping with the King's daughter.
He got locked up and tortured.
Guts hears about it and saves him with some of the other members of the Band of the Hawk who are now labeled as traitors.

And... that, as far as I remember are the relevent bits. Though I haven't watched/read it in ages, so I might be forgetting some stuff. Oh yeah, there was fighting too. And people got wounded. But that's about it.
You forgot the most important part. The part where they rescue griffith and get stuck in a literal HELL on earth in which all of the hawks them minus Guts(who loses a and) and Kaska (who's rape sacrificed but not to death) are slaughtered.
The question is always resolve what magic can/can't do.
The behlit thing is an issue.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

He's not focusing on that, though. What I got out of this was that this was less a Berserk Universe game and more Band of the Hawks.
I can't even remember them meeting up with anything supernatural until Griffith's fall... which is, you know, that point where everyone dies.

Also, Spoilers.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

They meet a demon in a castle once. Also I agree with Leress, without the sprites, magic, ghosts, ghouls, goblins, etc it really can't be called "Berserk" because that's really what the setting is.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Well, I considered the "Band of the Hawk" parts Berserk when I read them, and still consider them the best part of the series so far. It's not not Beserk just because you lack the apocalypse stuff.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Even though I haven't seen or read much of the series, I think (and even told PhoneLobster before) that it's pretty much agreed to be a cheap shot to use the Berserk anime to represent the series.

In terms of bad adaptations of pre-existing comics, it ranks somewhere between post-Demon King Piccolo Dragonball and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Mon May 09, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Fuchs wrote:Well, I considered the "Band of the Hawk" parts Berserk when I read them, and still consider them the best part of the series so far. It's not not Beserk just because you lack the apocalypse stuff.
Most of the story is apocalypse stuff. The beginning of the story starts out in that time. The entire Band of the Hawk thing is basically a prequel, an explanation as to why he's doing what he's doing ( a damn good explanation but just an explanation none-the-less). The anime is what got me to read the manga in the first place.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

MGuy wrote:
Fuchs wrote:Well, I considered the "Band of the Hawk" parts Berserk when I read them, and still consider them the best part of the series so far. It's not not Beserk just because you lack the apocalypse stuff.
Most of the story is apocalypse stuff. The beginning of the story starts out in that time. The entire Band of the Hawk thing is basically a prequel, an explanation as to why he's doing what he's doing ( a damn good explanation but just an explanation none-the-less). The anime is what got me to read the manga in the first place.
Yeah, most of the story is apocalypse stuff. And yet, after more than 30 volumes (I collect the german series), I still consider the band of the hawk part the best part.