[Politics] Abortion Failure Megathread

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

[Politics] Abortion Failure Megathread

Post by Psychic Robot »

Please move all discussions about abortion to this troll trap thread. Thanks in advance.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wait, if you ask nicely then people do things?

Cool. PR, please leave again and this time, never come back. Thanks.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Let me get this rolling:

Neither side of the abortion debate can be defended from a moral perspective.

If you are pro-life, you are demanding that everyone suffer for your beliefs.

If you are pro choice, you are sacrificing living things to improve your standard of living.

There, that should get things flaming.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Nice summary, Count.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

I'm not a vegetarian ... sentient things are sacrificed daily to improve my standard of living, let alone living things.
Last edited by MfA on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

MfA wrote:I'm not a vegetarian ... sentient things are sacrificed daily to improve my standard of living, let alone living things.
Quite.

The question is not whether the foetus is 'alive', because all of us (yes, even vegetarians) exist by killing living things.

The question is not whether the foetus is 'human', because no doctor in the world will hesitate to kill human cells of many kinds in order to save a patient.

The question is whether the foetus is a person, with all of the attendant moral and legal rights, and it's pretty easy to turn this question into a total philosophical mindfuck if you lose sight of the welfare of actual sentient human beings.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:If you are pro-life, you are demanding that everyone suffer for your beliefs.

If you are pro choice, you are sacrificing living things to improve your standard of living.
While a shallow and somewhat misleading summary it is close enough to say this.

One of those things is better than the other. A lot better. Because one of them is about real improvements to real peoples real lives. The other is about grabbing your dick in hand and demanding that whatever the cost the world worship it as a god.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Is it amazing to anyone else that the United States has like one legal late-term abortion doctor? Not one per state, but one in all fifty states. That's just bizarre to me. You know there's a demand, and there have to be a certain statistical number of cases where late term abortion is practical for the health of the mother...you'd think there would be more.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Ancient History wrote:Is it amazing to anyone else that the United States has like one legal late-term abortion doctor? Not one per state, but one in all fifty states. That's just bizarre to me. You know there's a demand, and there have to be a certain statistical number of cases where late term abortion is practical for the health of the mother...you'd think there would be more.
There used to be more, but then some pro-life folks shot them in the head.

EDIT: And more generally, the amount of harassment faced by late-term abortion providers is utterly insane. There's a serious sickness in the bowels of the American pro-life movement.
Last edited by Gnosticism Is A Hoot on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

There used to be two, but one of them was murdered by a Christian Wackjob.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

sabs wrote:There used to be two, but one of them was murdered by a Christian Wackjob.
ftfy. seriously.

as I see it, there needs to be a clear definition of terms.
murder = killing a living human being
living human being = human DNA + heartbeat (seems fairly straight forward to me)
human fetus develops own heartbeat after around day 35.

the "pro-life"-ers aren't just religious control freaks ... it's about protecting the rights of those without a voice/choice in the matter.

oh, and for a tangential side-note: Planned Parenthood was started by a eugenicist, who explicitly started the organization to try to get rid of poor/minorities. just some food for thought.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

The guy said he killed him because God was on his side.
He did it because God wanted him to save the children.

That makes him a Christian Wackjob.
Sorry if that offends you.

Most women don't even KNOW they are pregnant by day 35.
I have no problem with someone to choose an abortion up into the 2nd trimester. Once the baby is old enough that there is a real chance of survival outside the womb, then I have more of an issue with it, except for valid health reasons (Which exist)

Personally, I'd never want an abortion, and it would be a deal breaker for me in a relationship. But that's ME.. that doesn't mean I get to make that choice for other people.

A fetus has no rights, save those conveyed to it by it's mother. I would rather have someone abort the next Albert Enstein, then force some woman to have a baby she doesn't want (for what ever reason).

Pro-Lifers should spend more time helping with sex education, teen outreach programs, adoption programs, and less time shouting hate at a 15 year old who got pregnant because she believed her dumb ass boyfriend that you can't get pregnant if you have sex in a hot tub.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

wotmaniac wrote: living human being = human DNA + heartbeat (seems fairly straight forward to me)
So, how does this work for people who recently suffered a heart attack (or whatever) and CPR? Or do you mean that distinction only pertains to those inside the womb?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

sabs wrote:The guy said he killed him because God was on his side.
He did it because God wanted him to save the children.

That makes him a Christian Wackjob.
Sorry if that offends you.
I'll nit pick here because I find the study of wackjobs fascinating. Your argument actually supports a Theist Wackjob as opposed to a specific type of Theist. If he used specific Christian arguments in his case then could apply the Christian label. he probably did, but that's not your argument.

In general any X Wackjob probably fucks up any association with X because being a wackjob he doesn't understand X from shit.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

P.S. I'm not going to talk about abortion here just to annoy P.R.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

oh, and for a tangential side-note: Planned Parenthood was started by a eugenicist, who explicitly started the organization to try to get rid of poor/minorities. just some food for thought.
So the fuck what? America was founded by slave-raping slave rapers. Take your genetic fallacy elsewhere.
Last edited by Gnosticism Is A Hoot on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So. Serious question time.

Suppose that you as a pro-lifer totally got your way on this issue. No compromise, you get everything exactly the way you wanted it as far as the law is concerned. What should be the punishment for aborting a fetus? Should the punishment be increased the further along said fetus is in the pregnancy? What exceptions will you allow if any?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Abortion is totally killing a living human being, arguing about that is pointless.

But, I'm pretty sure that here in the US of A I have the self-evident right to shoot uninvited intruders in the face when they refuse to leave my domicile after fair warning. I'll probably have to go to trial to justify that such actions were actually in self-defense, but I'm pretty sure I could convince most juries that an intruder I found in my wife's vagina and drinking her blood and who didn't leave despite weeks of warning was fair game.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Lago they NEVER answer that question. Never.

Talking about how they would punish women who get abortions in their abortion free utopia... confuses them, but they know on some level it makes them look bad, so they just don't do it.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
K
King

Post by K »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:So. Serious question time.

Suppose that you as a pro-lifer totally got your way on this issue. No compromise, you get everything exactly the way you wanted it as far as the law is concerned. What should be the punishment for aborting a fetus? Should the punishment be increased the further along said fetus is in the pregnancy? What exceptions will you allow if any?
No die-hard pro-lifer will allow exceptions. Even if it's done to save the life of the mother, they want murder charges for everyone. That's not a strawman, but actual laws that people keep trying to put on the books every damned year in dozens of states.

I think the more important question is what would happen if they actually get their wish. Considering that around 15% of illegal abortions result in the death of the mother and a little under half require medical attention from complications, we can see that we'd be choosing to kill mothers and all the kids they'd have had. Plus, there is all that emergency medical care, therefor it would both wasteful of tax dollars and incredibly evil.

Romania outlawed abortions and created one of the most horrific systems of orphanages in the world to handle the flood of unwanted children and the estimates of the number of women killed in illegal abortions numbers in the tens of thousands.

Estimates for the US say that we'd be killing at least 10K women a year by making abortion illegal.

It's not that the pro-life movement is morally wrong, they are actually stupid. Women that have abortions also have children later in life, but pro-lifers would rather punish "evil" women with death rather than let them live long enough to have children.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

K wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:So. Serious question time.

No die-hard pro-lifer will allow exceptions. Even if it's done to save the life of the mother, they want murder charges for everyone. That's not a strawman, but actual laws that people keep trying to put on the books every damned year in dozens of states.

I think the more important question is what would happen if they actually get their wish. Considering that around 15% of illegal abortions result in the death of the mother and a little under half require medical attention from complications, we can see that we'd be choosing to kill mothers and all the kids they'd have had. Plus, there is all that emergency medical care, therefor it would both wasteful of tax dollars and incredibly evil.

Romania outlawed abortions and created one of the most horrific systems of orphanages in the world to handle the flood of unwanted children and the estimates of the number of women killed in illegal abortions numbers in the tens of thousands.

Estimates for the US say that we'd be killing at least 10K women a year by making abortion illegal.

It's not that the pro-life movement is morally wrong, they are actually stupid. Women that have abortions also have children later in life, but pro-lifers would rather punish "evil" women with death rather than let them live long enough to have children.
This makes the assumption that pro-lifers seek to bring as many children into the world as possible. The argument I'm familiar with is that once conceived, a child is considered to be brought into this world, and taking them out of it is thus morally wrong.

Although, honestly, I have no idea where I stand on this issue. All I know for sure is that the extremists are stupid, but that's almost tautologically obvious.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

My feeling is...outlawing abortions won't stop them. It will make them more difficult to come by, yes, and it will make women desperate to have them. Desperate people do risky, dangerous things. So while abortions will grow fewer, they will still occur - and because they are desperate, and because their options are few, the conditions will worsen. As it is, the government can at least mandate the performance of abortions in a relatively clean place, by someone who certified to know what they are doing, and there is less risk to the health of the mother. If the practice is outlawed, those guarantees will disappear.

And while I dislike and disapprove of those who use an abortion as after-the-fact birth control - well, I remember that there are those who conceive from rape, and from incest. Who become pregnant in their early teenage years, and even younger. Who cannot survive childbirth, or who having done so cannot afford to raise a child that was forced on them. Who face the terrible knowledge that the fetus has a genetic illness or condition which is crippling, lifelong, and beyond the remedy of medicine to repair - so malformed that they will not survive, or if they do survive, will be confined forever to institutions and special care.

While I would like to legislate in the perfect world where every conception is loving, the parent(s) willing and able to care for the child, and that every conception results in a perfect, normal, healthy baby - well, we don't live in that world. This is a world where a 9 year-old-girl is abused by a family member and becomes pregnant with twins, and the doctor that agrees to perform the abortion is excommunicated. This is a world where a woman walks into the emergency room after a botched abortion, and what the nurse on duty thought was the umbilical cord hanging out from between her legs was in fact a length of intestine. It is better to have abortion available as an option, to deal with the worst situations, than to deny it to everyone and hope for the best.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I think that's a great post, Ancient History.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Chamomile wrote:The argument I'm familiar with is that once conceived, a child is considered to be brought into this world, and taking them out of it is thus morally wrong.
The idea that personhood begins at genetic completeness is not only a bad understanding of basic biology (otherwise I killed hundreds of thousands of pwecious babies when I jerked off to the Newsweek magazine this morning) but also religious bigotry.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

WHat's worse is ultimately even the "...because life begins at conception!" angle is actually a deception by the pro life movement.

Because they don't actually give a shit when life begins. What they care about is you having recreational sex at all and you using contraception at all[/i] and having sex outside of marriage at all. Especially if you are a woman. Or young. Or worst of all, both.

Never let the more ludicrous directions (like the conception thing) they flail in while trying to justify their position distract you. Pro lifers are about one thing and one thing only. Religious control of your bedroom and women that go near it.