AAUGH! DISASTER!

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

AAUGH! DISASTER!

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I wrote on my brand new vinyl battle mat with a sharpie....

I've tried Windex, and Rubbing Alcohol, and it's not coming up.

Anyone have advice?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Is it smooth or porous? You might be able to soak it in something to loosen it, but I'm not really sure.

All my battlemat experience is on a whiteboard I converted into a map. Good luck!

Edit:
I found these links on Google:

http://www.creativehomemaking.com/articles/060404c.shtml

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/830921/how_to_remove_a_sharpie_mark_in_just_seconds/ (I didn't watch the movie, so I don't know if it's any good).
Last edited by RobbyPants on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

You're not going to be able to completely remove the stain but you can lighten it by using turpentine and a cloth. Make sure you wear gloves.

Maybe try nail polish remover if you're sure it won't eat the mat.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

if it's smooth, try using a rubber. like the one you use for removing pencil scribbles . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Diet Soda and Cheap Vodka have both been useful for removing marker from surfaces for me.

But if I actually had time to think about it instead of grabbing whatever gamers had already brought to the session, I'd probably try that wd-40 trick from the video first.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

Stahlseele wrote:if it's smooth, try using a rubber. like the one you use for removing pencil scribbles . .
We call those "erasers."
K
King

Post by K »

I've heard that drafting erasers work, but that may just be rumor.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Wesley Street wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:if it's smooth, try using a rubber. like the one you use for removing pencil scribbles . .
We call those "erasers."
we call that a "nitpick".
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Mostly, scrubbing works. Soap helps too. It'll never go all the way away, but you can make it much lighter.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Stahlseele wrote:
Wesley Street wrote:
We call those "erasers."
In the United States "a rubber" usually refers to a condom. FYI.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm pretty sure we don't have condoms that remove pencil scribbles here...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Stahlseele wrote:
Wesley Street wrote:
We call those "erasers."
Here in the states, a rubber goes on your dick, not the table
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

The temptation to be a smug git is almost overwhelming, but really A) everyone knows b) no-one cares.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

As rubber actually means eraser to most of the English world it is a perfectly acceptable use.

For most of the world going out wearing pants, suspenders and a vest means underwear, a wife-beater and a that thing you use for keeping up stockings. Remember American English is the minority.

On topic: Try scribbling over the permanent marker with a whiteboard marker, leave it for a while and then wipe it off. It works on whiteboards.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

ckafrica wrote:As rubber actually means eraser to most of the English world it is a perfectly acceptable use.

For most of the world going out wearing pants, suspenders and a vest means underwear, a wife-beater and a that thing you use for keeping up stockings. Remember American English is the minority.
More Americans have English as their first language than the rest of the planet combined. They are the majority.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Neeeek wrote:
ckafrica wrote:As rubber actually means eraser to most of the English world it is a perfectly acceptable use.

More Americans have English as their first language than the rest of the planet combined. They are the majority.
And less Americans know how to speak a second language fluently than the rest of the planet combined. We're a minority, too!
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm pretty sure we don't have condoms that remove pencil scribbles here...
Have you tried? I wouldn't use the lubricated type.
Prak_Anima wrote: Here in the states, a rubber goes on your dick, not the table
Can it... can it be both?
[/offtopic]

Count, have you had time to try any of the tricks? Did you have any luck?
Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I just tried a rubber, and it didn't help in this case.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Count Arioch the 28th
King

RobbyPants wrote:Can it... can it be both?
One time a friend had to crash a couple nights at my apartment. I forgot to hide my condoms. Now everyone in my game group knows that I buy Magnum XL and I get shit about it.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:Can it... can it be both?
One time a friend had to crash a couple nights at my apartment. I forgot to hide my condoms. Now everyone in my game group knows that I buy Magnum XL and I get shit about it.
So it can, it just shouldn't.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

speaking of rubbers and inappropriate uses for things .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJlzUt-vHk
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

cthulhu wrote:
The temptation to be a smug git is almost overwhelming, but really A) everyone knows b) no-one cares.
I figured that since Stahlseele is apparently from Germany, he (A) might not know and (B) might care.

American isn't the be-all and end-all of languages, but we do tend to use it on this board (with a few incursions of Australian and English). I'd probably do the same for a Brit who started ranting about "[EDITED]".
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yes, i am from germany.
and yes, i meant erazer.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

The movie "Eraser" would have been so much more awesome if it was called "Rubber."
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.