4e is to Descent what Rolemaster is to classic D&D

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

xechnao
Apprentice

4e is to Descent what Rolemaster is to classic D&D

Post by xechnao »

4e is to Descent what Rolemaster is to classic D&D.
Agree/Disagree
Discuss.
A Man In Black
Duke

Post by A Man In Black »

Apples are to cars as oranges are to heaters.
Agree/disagree
Discuss.

Perhaps you could offer us some sort of context or explanation to explain what you're getting at, or is this going to be a guessing game?
I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
xechnao
Apprentice

Post by xechnao »

A Man In Black wrote:Apples are to cars as oranges are to heaters.
Agree/disagree
Discuss.

Perhaps you could offer us some sort of context or explanation to explain what you're getting at, or is this going to be a guessing game?
Lol
You are right to ask. I came to this conclusion in the context of this thread over at rpg.net (link to the discussion of this page which includes the quote)
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?606 ... ance/page6
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

A Man In Black wrote:Perhaps you could offer us some sort of context or explanation to explain what you're getting at, or is this going to be a guessing game?
The context is "4E is a board game lol", I assume.
DMReckless
Journeyman

Post by DMReckless »

This "Conclusion" does not qualify as:
A) Insightful
B) Unique
C) True
D) New
E) All of the above

Discuss.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

ts;idgaf

(too short; I don't give a fuck)
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I had a response, but as a matter of principle that bullshit "Idiotic Statement. Discuss." demand gets an automatic snarky reply from me.

So go fuck up a rope.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I call bullshit.

Not one person in existence has ever picked up, yet alone tried to start a game of 4e based on the critical charts.

In fact, most people I've played 4e with are just sort of head-scratchingly baffled and stare blankly when they need to be reminded that crits deal NdX + Z + Automatically Maxed damage; where N = enchancement bonus of weapon or implement used to deliver the power and X is a die type associated with the special powers and/or properties of that weapon or implement and is determined by book lookup and where Z is either zero or an extra, non-maximimed and therefore rolled W.

In contrast, when someone rolls a 73 C Krush critical in Rolemaster, they might be baffled as to how exactly they hit their enemy's knee while attacking from above against a shark, but they'll usually invent some enjoyable rationale for the -40 penalty or digress into an argument about tailfins and cartilage injuries until their next turn.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."