abortion

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

gezenema
NPC

abortion

Post by gezenema »

How are you suppose to respond to abortion? When people ask abortion questions I get so angry because it is so selfish and horrible to me. I don't buy into the whole it's your body do what is best for you argument. I do judge these people and I know I shouldn't because that is wrong as well. I suppose not answering would be the most obvious solution but is it ever possible to make people realize how unfair abortion is to the little baby who can't make their own choice?
Last edited by gezenema on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Ugh. Okay, since you've made your position on the subject obvious, I will not try to convert you to my way of thinking. But in answer to your question as to how to respond:

How do you respond to anyone that does something you, personally, do not like? I don't say that to be facetious, I just think you need to take a moment to think about how you do respond when someone asks you something you might be against - plaids, oral sex techniques, meringue, whatever. Then, think about how you would want people that don't agree with whatever you do - play RPGs, attend church, vote for Barack Obama, etc. - to respond to you when you bring the subject up. Ideally, I hope, you would want them to be cordial, even if they disagree with you. You don't want someone to start yelling at you because you're a different religion, or because you drive a different car; and hopefully you're not the type that does the yelling at them either.

So, be polite. If the subject makes you uncomfortable, calmly explain that you have strong feelings on the subject and don't want to discuss it - if they continue, leave. No need to get into an argument.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Someone registers to this site, in all lower case name, and their first post is about Abortion and how evil it is.

I'm calling a Troll Flag :)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It's actually been a while since we had someone register just to be a brain dead right wing troll.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I like how he included "enema" in his name. That's so thoughtful.
RobbyPants
King

Re: abortion

Post by RobbyPants »

gezenema wrote:When people ask abortion questions I get so angry because it is so selfish and horrible to me.
While I don't like abortion, I've never heard a Pro Life solution that wasn't worse than what we have now. It's pure pragmatism for me.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

gezenema, first and foremost welcome to the den.

It's generally not very friendly to people who are pro-life.

Actually that's a major understatement.

So here is the answer to your question. You respond carefully, slowly, stating your argument as objectively as possible. The person can either accept or reject your argument, but at least you have made your case.

On the den, on the other hand, you yell, call your opponent names, dismiss his arguments, reject his sources, claim you proved him false two weeks ago (when you actually just posted something so obviously bs that your opponent choose not to even give it the dignity of a response) and laugh at how stupid your opponent is and how superior you are.

(Note you will probably see many people respond to this post with "tzor does that all the time.")
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Well, you do have that tendancy. Do I need to dip into the link-bucket to dredge out a couple times when you blatantly ignored people that proved you wrong?

Also:
So here is the answer to your question. You respond carefully, slowly, stating your argument as objectively as possible. The person can either accept or reject your argument, but at least you have made your case.
Key difference between tzor's advice and mine: I urge you not to seek confrontation and argument, but to respect the beliefs of others. Tzor just wants you to be a dick, because then you'll have done your duty and can feel better about yourself as they merrily wend their way to hell.

I might have extrapolated a little on that last bit, but you get the idea.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Can we get an ip compare with gez and tzor :)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

(Note you will probably see many people respond to this post with "tzor does that all the time.")
tzor likes to feel special, but we all do that.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I am not gezenema.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

I never shouted at the people who came knocking on my door in college to tell me how great Hilary Clinton was (is it just me, or did she have the most vocal supporters? Bitches were at my door every damn day). I just said "I don't want to hear about it" and slammed the door, then resumed masturbating furiously.

There's no reason* to start an argument when somebody is just asking a question about something.

*The exception is if they're trying to buy an Apple product. Then you should compare the specs of whatever they're trying to buy with a similar device that is $100 cheaper. Unless you hate them, then you say "Yeah, I heard the iWhatever is really good."
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:*The exception is if they're trying to buy an Apple product. Then you should compare the specs of whatever they're trying to buy with a similar device that is $100 cheaper. Unless you hate them, then you say "Yeah, I heard the iWhatever is really good."
A friend was getting a new computer for her birthday, and I did that because she asked me about my recommendation.

The answer was $1500 dollars cheaper for the same specs. Fuck Apple.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*nods*
sounds about right.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

My brother gave me an iPod Touch for Christmas, and the only reason he did was because he managed to get a good deal on it. He keeps telling me, "Don't install iTunes. Ever," and apologizing that it's Apple.

Personally, I resent the fact that Apple products resist tinkering. Apple devices don't do what you tell them to; you do what they tell you to. Hopefully, the two coincide.

:ohwell:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Maj wrote:Personally, I resent the fact that Apple products resist tinkering. Apple devices don't do what you tell them to; you do what they tell you to. Hopefully, the two coincide.
You know, I'm currently rewriting my 2011 NaNoWriMo which is based on an Apple flavored Paranoia world. Do you mind if I quote you on that? :tongue:
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I don't mind in the least.

:)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Hey! Something positive came out of this thread! Who'da thunk it?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

gezenema wrote:How are you suppose to respond to abortion?
I don't understand the question.
When someone has one? When someone talks about them? When someone tries to make you have one?
When people ask abortion questions I get so angry because it is so selfish and horrible to me.
What in the world does that have to do with their questions? Being selfish and horrible is not really a crime, it's a value judgment. But it has no bearing on whether a question or the answer to it are right or wrong, factually speaking.
What questions do people ask you about abortion?
I don't buy into the whole it's your body do what is best for you argument.
Why?
Further...if you don't believe that you should be able to do what's best for you to your own body, how would you feel about tattoos? Drinking or drug use? Choice of medical care? Diet and exercise? Believe it or not, ALL of these issues are related.
but is it ever possible to make people realize how unfair abortion is to the little baby who can't make their own choice?
No that's not possible, because what you have just said is not an objective truth. It is an opinion. You can never "make people realize" opinions. You can argue why you hold one, and why they should hold it as well, and after consideration of the various arguments they can decide what opinion they want to hold.

It is possible to realize facts, such as "the earth is round" or "China exists". It is not possible to realize what you stated, because you have demonstrated exactly 0 proof that abortion is in any way unfair to 'the little baby' who may not even exist.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
LargePrime
Apprentice

Post by LargePrime »

you say "can i haz it, cauz themz delicious!!!!"
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Last edited by tzor on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

Thank you, Tzor.

I enjoy criticising Obama as much as the next lefty, but once in a while it's nice to be reminded of the good things he's done, too.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

I heard some Republican bobble head talk about how under Obama the price of gas had doubled from 1.68 a gallon to 3.30 a gallon.

And my first thought was, "wait, when has it been under 2.00 in the last 6 years" and my second thought, "What about when it went up to over 4 under Bush."
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

gezenema wrote:How are you suppose to respond to abortion? When people ask abortion questions I get so angry because it is so selfish and horrible to me. I don't buy into the whole it's your body do what is best for you argument. I do judge these people and I know I shouldn't because that is wrong as well. I suppose not answering would be the most obvious solution but is it ever possible to make people realize how unfair abortion is to the little baby who can't make their own choice?
I asked the autorantic moonbat for you:
AVM wrote:ABORTION, indeed!!! Snarl. Say no to profits and intolerance!! Say no to our GOVERNMENT of the Israelis, by the neoconservatives, and for Big Oil!!!! Um, George W. Bush caused Katrina by exploding the disabled vegans in Vancouver!! Racists!!! I reject fur and oil!!!
So, there's that.
Last edited by fectin on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Tzor, I realize you can be a douche, but can you sblock that so it doesn't fuck up the entire thread?
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar