Include this in 5e or I will FUCK YOUR FACE

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Include this in 5e or I will FUCK YOUR FACE

Post by Dr_Noface »

I will personally piss and shit all over Monte Cook and that other slug if the following aren't playable in some form from level 1:

i) a shapeshifter
ii) a golem
iii) a vampire
iv) a summoner
v) a necromancer
vi) some kind of fucking cat that can open door handles using telekinesis

People always want to play this shit.
Last edited by Dr_Noface on Thu May 02, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Number 6... what?
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

#s 2 and 3 seem a bit hyperbolic. I mean ... walking statue and uber-powerful bloodsucker?

Eh, to each their own.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

...You Lost Me wrote:Number 6... what?
He's actually right. It seems out of left field at first, but that 'how do I play an awakened house cat/former familiar/magical cat who does xxx' always seems to come up way more often then it should.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

My first thought was that this was an elaborate jab at After Sundown.
bears fall, everyone dies
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

It's usually a pony lately, not a cat.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I sign this petition.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
erik
King

Post by erik »

Previn wrote:
He's actually right. It seems out of left field at first, but that 'how do I play an awakened house cat/former familiar/magical cat who does xxx' always seems to come up way more often then it should.
Oh, I was thinking this.
[edit:
image no longer works. Pretty sure I was imagining mew/mew two, if I had to guess what I was thinking 2 and a half years ago]
Last edited by erik on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yep, latent furries. I actually kind of like the force sensitive fox-rabbit things in star wars...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Signed.

Can I sign this in blood or something? I was REALLY pissed at the lack of 4e necromancers in favor of runepriests. Does anyone actually play those?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Libertad
Duke

Post by Libertad »

In 5th Edition, I want a system that won't gimp monster PC options in order to "encourage" people to play normal guys like elves and dwarves.

It will solve so many problems this way instead of making LA 0 versions of monsters (Warforged in Eberron, Trollkin in Iron Kingdoms, etc.) for character concepts.

This is heroic fantasy. Fantasy had heroes riding on dragons and fighting alongside them, of talking animals and giant people as allies, stuff like that. Support these concepts!
Last edited by Libertad on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Well it's true. I want to play it.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

The second most recent version of Dungeon Crawl added cats as a playable race.

The most recent version lets you play as an octopus.

It is otherwise a fairly generic dungeon crawling game. All the rest of the races are Human, Orc, Dwarf, Minotaur, etc.
Last edited by Lokathor on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, remember that the success of Eberron (such as it was) was 100% because they added 1st level playable versions of werewolves, golems, and dopplegangers. Remember also that the biggest complaint for 4th edition was not the part where the game sucked, but that it didn't have playable necromancers and conjurers in it (and yeah, also that it cut druids, bards, gnomes, illusionists, enchanters, monks, crafting, and so much more).

There actually isn't any reason why we can't have Vampires playable from first level. People want to play Vampires. From first level. Also robots and werewolves. And there is no reason that they shouldn't be allowed to.

Basically: I'm signing the original petition. It is 100% correct.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

Who wants to take bets that they won't have more than one of those things (if any at all)?

Warforged probably. Or summoners.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

One day I truly hope Bethesda puts that breed of khajiit that are suppose to pretty much be just magic using sentient house cats in an Elder Scrolls game.

But on topic, I don't know, besides the a cat is fine too thing how long did it take 4E to get all those things?
Last edited by sake on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I'm signing this petition because it's how I fucking run my games.

To date I've run:

-Vampires (+0 LA, CR 5 min ToN) [seriously, so many]
-Intelligent Animals [Raccoons, pumas, etc.; which IIRC were played by the people at my table who aren't very big on furry stuff]
-Giants, Ogres
-Ice People
-Celestial Gargoyles
-Huge 15' demon dogs
-Imperial Earth Adeptus Astartes [whole nine yards, armour, bolters, 'nades; autocannons, chainswords, powerswords, jump packs, etc.]
-Crazy Fairy Scythe-Murderer Samurai Redcap
-Scorpion-oid Death Knight
-Dragons [tbh, the most difficult thing on this list]
-Random Powerful Undead (MM3 Visages; Liches, Fire Liches)
-Evil, intelligent, soul-stealing items [tbh, if players can't play as items, then the system is sort of lacking]

Plus an assortment celestial, fiendish, undead, and other monsterous types of creatures.

In After Sundown, Adventure Time I can count the following:

[Prague City-Core; Czech, M.E. Europa]
-Firbolg smith, plasma sniper, engineer, barracks officer, mech pilot
-Dryad-Alfar Fire Witch, computer hacker, science officer, band frontman
-Rakshasa science head, moonshiner, military commander

[Shuruppak Revived-Tell; Iraq, Mesopotamia]
-Dragonoid, dragon riding, dragon-carrying, manticore cowboy
-Lapin-Rabbit monster hunter, ranger, semi-official master of hunt
-Drow-Alfar bronze-age arms dealer, dog breeder/trainer

-Kenku-Yazata meddling thief, invisible mountaineer, rook-king of mirror pockets
-Balu-Nanook desert tribal leader, would-be conquerer
All with... honestly, very little work to arrange.

[Paris City-Core; France Western Europa]
-Dryad-Alfar Techo-Agent, femme's masculine, K.O. blast-shooter

Our group has played, in addition to the above
-Shoggoth-Phasms
-Robot Transformer
-Chaos Frogs [Slaadi]
-moar angels, summoners, death knights and fiends @_@

There is no good reason to not have the listed 6 on the must-have list. There are potentially valid reasons for not having all six on that list; but they are not good ones.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

sake wrote: But on topic, I don't know, besides the a cat is fine too thing how long did it take 4E to get all those things?
Well, I think they put Vampires as playable in Heroes of the Darkbad. Same for Necromancers. That would in turn put it after Essentials had already failed to revitalize the brand and people had started soliciting ideas for 5e.

Shifters and Dopplegangers were semi-playable out of the Monster Manual appendix - that pretty much covers "shape shifters" (though obviously, not very well considering that their shape shifting powers didn't actually do anything). Warforged were also in the 4e Monster Manual, albeit in a basically non-playable state (having more to do with the rules being terribad than them not existing).

Coming in between were the Conjurers. They introduced some incredibly unconvincing and shitty conjuration rules in the PHB2.

-Username17
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Warforged were acceptable as a middle-tier race in the MM because of their slightly weird self-healing power, and then the Dragon Magazine update for them made them into quite the cool race to play as. For a while. Until new races with better feats came out, of course.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Lokathor wrote:Warforged were acceptable as a middle-tier race in the MM because of their slightly weird self-healing power, and then the Dragon Magazine update for them made them into quite the cool race to play as. For a while. Until new races with better feats came out, of course.
steam-punk eBerron shit is not acceptable in medieval fantasy and needs be left in steam-punk.

what is this Jack Frost by Rankin-Bass with the K-Nights?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Shadzar, why do you hate fun and new ideas?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Prak_Anima wrote:Shadzar, why do you hate fun and new ideas?
there is nothing fun about steam-punk in medieval fantasy. steam-punk is and can be fun by itself. if i want medieval fantasy i want Medieval Fantasy.

when i want chocolate i dont always have to have peanut butter with it jsut because i like peanut butter, and vice versa. IF/WHEN i want both, THEN i have a reese's cup.

the rest of eBerron was just refluffed Birthright which i didnt like when it came out either.

so i enjoy fun things. but new for the sake of being new, or change for the sake of change.. i have no need for because i probably didnt need it to begin with or else i would have been looking for it.

i want a smart fridge because of its functions i have been looking for, not because it is new.

Mage Knight's blend of steam-punk and fantasy worked for it.. but i am just not interested in steam-punk RPGs. miniature games i am open to post-medieval or other genre... just NOT an RPG.

Birthright
Planescape
Spelljammer
Dark Sun
Al-Qadim

and their ilk, not for D&D. that fully they were not core, but settings when they came out was g good thing so they could be easily avoided.
Last edited by shadzar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Wrathzog
Knight-Baron

Post by Wrathzog »

This just makes too much sense.

/signed
PSY DUCK?
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

shadzar, you're the worst. I will literally turn you into an animal with my magic powers.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Prak_Anima wrote:Shadzar, why do you hate fun and new ideas?
Because the Golden Age of tabletop RPGs is twelve, of course.