The Worth of a Race

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

JonSetanta
King

The Worth of a Race

Post by JonSetanta »

I just discovered something in the DMG that might be worth mentioning, didn't find a thread that fit this information, so I made a new one;

A LA+0 race in D&D 3.5e is worth exactly 14,900 gp.

Source: Belt of Dwarvenkind
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

So what you're saying is...

I should expect to have to pay at least over 15k gold for a *decent* dwarven sex slave? Now is that their Waterdeep, Sharn, or Sigil market price? Good info to know either way.
Last edited by sake on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, can I play a mule-ish character with no racial abilities and get an extra 14,900g?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

That... that doesn't even...

Yeah, no. Just... no.

Of the three posts in the thread so far, each is wrong.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Prak_Anima wrote:So, can I play a mule-ish character with no racial abilities and get an extra 14,900g?
Yes. No. I don't know.
sake wrote:So what you're saying is...

I should expect to have to pay at least over 15k gold for a *decent* dwarven sex slave? Now is that their Waterdeep, Sharn, or Sigil market price? Good info to know either way.
You could have a elf wearing the belt. Maybe they sprout a beard, but of utmost importance... they're now a dwelf.

Look, all I'm saying is there's definitely a RAW correlation between racial abilities and cash. I wonder how the designers came to that specific amount of GP worth for the better parts of a dwarf race (not even a -2 CHA?)
Imagine if you could don a belt that makes you half dragon or half fiend, or stranger.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

But if you are a dwarf wearing it, who uses use magic device to be a human so you do gain the non-dwarf bonusses, you'll be the dwarfiest dwarf to be dwarfed.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

sigma999 wrote: Imagine if you could don a belt that makes you half dragon or half fiend, or stranger.
What's the LA for strangers?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Red Archon wrote:
sigma999 wrote: Imagine if you could don a belt that makes you half dragon or half fiend, or stranger.
What's the LA for strangers?
Given that stranger used as an adjective shortcut for the phrase "something even more strange", I'd say the LA varies.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ishy wrote: Hi there,
Would you like to play along in the My Little
Pony LARP? We use the FATAL rules!
YUS!!
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

ishy wrote:But if you are a dwarf wearing it, who uses use magic device to be a human so you do gain the non-dwarf bonusses, you'll be the dwarfiest dwarf to be dwarfed.
Nope. Dwarf who takes the Stoneblessed PrC AND all 3 levels of Dwarven Paragon, and wears a belt of dwarvenkind. 1000% Dwarfy.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

But how did the designers decide the belt costs 14.9k gold?
How do you price Stonecunning? Is it worth a feat?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

They actually created magic items without any 'design guide'.
Since they only realised when making the magic item compendium that something like that could actually be fucking helpful.
See: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070316a
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.