Monte Cook leaving 5E

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Monte Cook leaving 5E

Post by RobbyPants »

Monte says here that he's leaving his contract position at WotC due to "differences of opinion with the company", although he's not blaming this on his co-designers.

All in all, I'd call this a bad thing. I guess we'll see how it all pans out.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

My only real regret is that the 5E D&D fiasco is probably going to take down Schwalb despite also having the welcome side effect of getting rid of Wyatt, Mearls, and Cordell. Of course it might come at the side effect of getting rid of D&D as a TTRPG, too, but hey. I'm sure Magic or Final Fantasy or Warhams or whatever will pick up the pieces. Hopefully Schwalb will be just far enough down the food chain so that he gets the benefits about working on a big-name failure while not getting hit with the blame.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

its a good thing. the flagship designer of 3rd is leaving, there is nobody form previous editions working with 5e, it is all 4th edition designers and people who started with 4th.

5e will fail quicker than 4th did, D&D will tank and finally the garbage produced by WotC trying to sell the brand like LW did will cease and D&D can rest in peace like the vampire that was turned but tired of living just walking out into the sun for a respite from his damned life.

hopefully these so-called designers will create new games without the name D&D like Tweet is doing, and in the future D&D can be revived as D&D an no longer try to be a new game that D&D never should have been turned into, because people have learned it doesnt need to have the D&D name on it to be an RPG.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Didn't monte say in one of the articles that he his job in 5e was not design but research?
Last edited by ishy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
hogarth
Prince

Re: Monte Cook leaving 5E

Post by hogarth »

RobbyPants wrote:All in all, I'd call this a bad thing. I guess we'll see how it all pans out.
As I said in the other thread, I've seen a version of D&D where Monte had full rein (Arcana Evolved), and it was mostly worse than the source material (3.0E D&D).
erik
King

Post by erik »

hogarth wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:All in all, I'd call this a bad thing. I guess we'll see how it all pans out.
As I said in the other thread, I've seen a version of D&D where Monte had full rein (Arcana Evolved), and it was mostly worse than the source material (3.0E D&D).
I think where AU mostly suffered wasn't in mechanics, but the classes were too specified and the setting was again too specific without the pre-existing popularity to drive interest into that niche.

I thought it was comparable to 3e except that the classes were too nichey. 3e classes were so generic that I could mix them up and do all sorts of different concepts with them. I didn't get that feeling from AU characters at all. Sure, several classes had different templates but within those templates, I dunno it wasn't enough variety still.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

erik wrote:I think where AU mostly suffered wasn't in mechanics, but the classes were too specified and the setting was again too specific without the pre-existing popularity to drive interest into that niche.
It didn't suffer much in mechanics because it started with pretty good mechanics (3E) and just randomly dicked with them (e.g. it made a few things better, a few things shitter and a bunch of things just slightly different, a la Pathfinder).

I don't think 5E has the luxury of being another version of "3E + Brownian motion" like AU/AE or PFRPG.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

On a related note, Mearls took the opportunity to announce that the public playtests will start on May 24.

So there's that.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

I'd be inclined to say that it'd be nice if they could get on with it quicker, fail as horribly as it looks like they will, and let the license pass out of the hands of Hasbro/WotC to someone who could actually do something worthwhile with it.

Problem is, even if the license were up for grabs, I can't see anyone but Paizo being both in a position and interested in picking it up, and I suspect that they probably can't put together a worthwhile edition from scratch. Do better then WotC has recently, for sure. Do well enough to turn things around, or even well enough that I'd rather play whatever they wind up turning out then 3E? Unlikely.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Endovior wrote: Problem is, even if the license were up for grabs, I can't see anyone but Paizo being both in a position and interested in picking it up, and I suspect that they probably can't put together a worthwhile edition from scratch. Do better then WotC has recently, for sure. Do well enough to turn things around, or even well enough that I'd rather play whatever they wind up turning out then 3E? Unlikely.
If it went for cheap enough, I wouldn't be surprised if Atari or Turbine tried to grab it just for the sake of simplifying their licensing arrangements and to fuck over the other.
K
King

Post by K »

I sometimes wonder if various game companies hire old designers on a temporary basis just to keep their friends off welfare and prevent all the bad press that this would sent to the potential talent pool.

It's not like "RPG game designer" is something that can get you a job outside of RPG game design.
Last edited by K on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Supposedly it's not because of Mearls.

Supposedly.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

sake wrote:If it went for cheap enough, I wouldn't be surprised if Atari or Turbine tried to grab it just for the sake of simplifying their licensing arrangements and to fuck over the other.
Right; gobbling up IP for the explicit purpose of fucking the competition. Forgot about that one. Yeah, that'd probably be worse; if the license passes to a company that doesn't do PnP at all, that'd basically be the last nail in the coffin.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Indeed, I imagine if the IP went to Atari (or whatever) we'd see a bunch of games with the "Dungeons and Dragons" logo (or just called Dungeons and Dragons) that have as little as possible to do with the tabletop games. Best-case scenario would be NWN-style stuff where it's still basically an RPG that has all the things from the game that you recognise (even if they're different) and has module-builders. Worst-case is a hack-and-slash Diablo clone with a dragon at the end.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

It is actually possible that Atari would license out the PnP part of the license to someone who wanted to make a PnP game though. Eventually, they'd sort of have to, as otherwise slapping the IP on a bunch of games would be less and less useful.

Also, why can't they make ToEE like games instead of endless real time trash? Does no one in the entire universe understand that rules made for turn based combat work better in turn based combat?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Because a great many gamers - particularly here in the West* - don't like turn-based stuff, they want real-time. And they're idiots for wanting that.

You could probably get a bit more success with a turn-based D&D game in Japan (what with FFT, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, SRW and so on being rather popular over there and niche games over here), but then you wouldn't have (much) D&D brand recognition.

*Well I say "here" in the West. What with the world being spherical, Australia is actually to the East of Japan.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

So why is liking real time action gameplay bad, or otherwise viewed as idiotic? I guess because trying to make such a game doesn't pan out to make an RPG so much, despite the work put into it (much like the route of Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning)?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Because I prefer turn-based, duh.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Aryxbez wrote:So why is liking real time action gameplay bad, or otherwise viewed as idiotic? I guess because trying to make such a game doesn't pan out to make an RPG so much, despite the work put into it (much like the route of Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning)?
Real time isn't bad, but for Dnd, which is turn based, why not just keep it turn based.? The last time they did that was DnD Tactics for the PSP.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Aryxbez wrote:So why is liking real time action gameplay bad, or otherwise viewed as idiotic? I guess because trying to make such a game doesn't pan out to make an RPG so much, despite the work put into it (much like the route of Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning)?
TTRPG and PNP games can not be realtime. you would need a DM for each player, which essentially is what computer games have and each individual computer is part or the DM group for those playing.

while MMOs are real time, they actually arent RPGs in any more sense of the word than domination sex play is. MMOs are actually real time quest adventure games.

to have the level of roleplaying D&D has always had needs someone able to make constant changes to the games environment, and that can not be done in real time, but elapsed time which is what turn based is.a pre0defined script is too limited for actual roleplay.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Aryxbez wrote:So why is liking real time action gameplay bad, or otherwise viewed as idiotic?
Because Turn Based computer games used to be a thing. A genre in their own right with their own separate and dedicated fan base.

Numerous developers have over the years declared Turn Based gaming to be dead.

Then they decide they want to tap into a turn based fan demographic with a modern sequel to a major turn based title.

So they make it an RTS. Because, hey turn based is dead and there isn't anything you can do in Turn Based that you can't do better in RTS... right?

Then virtually every one of those RTS sequels kills the franchise.

And the developers act fucking surprised every damn time.

It's pretty simple. Turn Based games do things that Real Time games can't. And us turn based fans get to call RTS games stupid and shallow because they are and the developers that have pushed them are. The results speak for themselves.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

And us turn based fans get to call RTS games stupid and shallow because they are and the developers that have pushed them are. The results speak for themselves.
I was with you until this part.

I can't imagine StarCraft or WarCraft as a turned based game, but neither are they stupid or shallow.

If you mean the RTS sequels to turn based games are stupid/shallow, I can see that.

Game On,
fbmf
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

PhoneLobster wrote:So they make it an adventure/dungeon crawler
Fixed that for you. :cool:

I mean, Starcraft is a RTS, and it has nothing to do with crap like the Daggerdale XBLA game.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

fbmf wrote:If you mean the RTS sequels to turn based games are stupid/shallow, I can see that.
Yes. Because for the most part the only examples we have go in that direction and not the other.
I can't imagine StarCraft or WarCraft as a turned based game, but neither are they stupid or shallow.
You clearly lack imagination.

If every example we have of a Turn Based Strategy/RPG turned to an RTS version turned out to be massively dumbed down and generally problematic can you not imagine that a Turn Based Strategy game based on the RTS fiction franchise of your choice might not reasonably be expected to be more complex and engaging in exactly the same way as all our reverse examples?

I mean it's stupid to do because I hate your sample RTS choices, but also for the same reason that the great "lets kill TBS franchises" thing is bad.

What RTS games do and how they appeal to their fan bases involves being "good" at substantively different (and more shallow :razz: ) things than TBS. A turn based Star Craft game would clearly have more potential to be complex and thinky instead of (comparatively) mindless and clicky like it's predecessors, but would have about as much chance of appealing to its existing fans as the horrendous new RTS version of Jagged Alliance.

And PS when the modern computer game industry gets it's hands on an old franchise that was already one of the great names in RTS games, they don't turn it into an awesome TBS version of Dune 2, sadly, instead they turn Syndicate into a stupid fucking FPS as a transparent rushed attempt to ride the coat tails of a recent Deus Ex release. Since fucking when is SYNDICATE supposed to ride that fucking franchises coat tails instead of the other way around? Damnit.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Falgund
Journeyman

Post by Falgund »

As an example you can look at Cyanide Bloodbowl which has a turn based mode and a real time mode.