Gaming the System: The Olympics

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Gaming the System: The Olympics

Post by Ancient History »

I'm going to go ahead and say it: the Olympics are bullshit. They bankrupt cities and countries, and leave behind vast complexes which can go unused for years or decades. The IOC is staffed by assholes. Countries spend millions of dollars on training athletes, facilities, and bribing referees. The Olympics have forced doping to evolve into sci-fi level next-generation shit. Athletes and coaches go apeshit trying to find any advantage or loophole in the rules, to the point where they might as well give medals to the legal teams on either side too. And the fucking things take over the airwaves for weeks.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The playing to win stuff, at least, is what happens to any game when the stakes are high.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

What are the stakes?
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

International fame, eternal bragging rights, and a nonstop orgy during the games with extremely fit super people.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/postbl ... letes.html
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Wow. If I only had a time machine, so I could go back and tell a very young me to try to excel in sports, just because of increased chances of sex, I would.

(but then I'm pretty sure that my lack of sex has much more to do with my personality than what areas I excel in.)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

But I feel so good when my country wins! USA! USA! USA!

On the other hand, I don't know if my country wins things unless somebody else tells me because the olympics are fucking boring. When my choices of entertainment are:

1. The Olympics

2. Super Mario World

I'm going to be shit-stomping Bowser every single time. Then again, I can think of almost nothing that is less entertaining than watching the Olympics.

Does anyone honestly give a fuck about how good somebody is at swinging around on a pole if they aren't stripping?
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Isn't it mostly the same with all sports?
Like football in Europe or baseball, basketball and American football in the USA?
Worthless but lots of people like watching it, so people make lots of money from it.

- Edit: This does look a bit interesting: http://www.fastcocreate.com/1681321/how ... -darn-fast
Last edited by ishy on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

I like the Olympics mostly for listening to conspiracy theorists talking about how Jews sold the land they owned around the Twin Towers just before 9/11, and that since they have been selling the land around the Olympic stadiums it obviously means there will be a "terrorist" attack by "muslims".

They'll go on to mention a large organisation having a news story online about there having been a catastrophe with thousands dead during the Olympics (explained by the organisation- Rockefeller or something- as having been an intern writing random shit), and the "fact" that a lot of the images and designs of the Olympics have Jewish/Freemason/New World Order imagery, which obviously means that the Jews and Freemasons are going to sacrifice lots of people in a fake terrorist attack to summon up support for a world currency.

I just smile, nod, and say "Thats really scary. I'd better warn my family in England to stay away from the Olympics.".
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Parthenon you hang out with serious freaks.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Regarding the sex thing: Why would anyone want to have sex with an athletic woman? With a few exceptions, they look like adult heads with little girl bodies. I respect their hard work and discipline but I don't want to put my penis in one.

Then again, my signature tells me that there are stranger things men have put penises in...
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Olympic athletes tend to be super specialized for whatever sport(s) they compete in, so you get a lot of body types.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Unless your definition of little girl body is purely "A cup or less", you have some serious weird exposure to athletic women.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Ted the Flayer wrote:Regarding the sex thing: Why would anyone want to have sex with an athletic woman? With a few exceptions, they look like adult heads with little girl bodies.
If you seriously believe this, I don't know what to say to you.

I used to run track & field, and the amount of attractive, athletic girls was considerable. Unless they are super-extreme (which I admit, may well be the case with some/many olympians), athletic girls do not look like "little girl bodies" except in comparison to lush anime chicks or surgery-modified centerfolds.

You can make a case for extreme athletes, but "athletic women" covers a huge amount of ground.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Well, and Gymnasts who actually ARE little girls, for the most part.
The oldest American Gymnast was what.. 17?
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

And here I thought this thread was about the badminton scandal....top teams removed for "not trying hard enough to win".

Madness. They were deliberately losing early games so that they would avoid the more difficult matches until the very end.

Next, marathon runners will be disqualified for not running as fast as possible in the first ten seconds of the race...
Last edited by Doom on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

The only athletic people I know (male or female) are in fact extreme, world-class athletes. And tend to also not be able to hold a conversation that does not involve their sport of choice in some way. I respect their mental fortitude and physical discipline but I can't even imagine them having sex...
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Ted the Flayer wrote:I respect their mental fortitude and physical discipline but I can't even imagine them having sex...
I expect their performance would depend on whether they're speed or endurance runners.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Doom wrote:And here I thought this thread was about the badminton scandal....top teams removed for "not trying hard enough to win".
Fuck them. How are BP and Coke going to get adulation and acknowledgement of their wonderfulness if the puppets don't dance?
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Doom wrote:And here I thought this thread was about the badminton scandal....top teams removed for "not trying hard enough to win".

Madness. They were deliberately losing early games so that they would avoid the more difficult matches until the very end.

Next, marathon runners will be disqualified for not running as fast as possible in the first ten seconds of the race...
A game is a discrete unit of judgment. The first ten seconds of a race is not a discrete unit of judgment. Slippery slope, apples and oranges, etc, etc.

The problem with allowing something like that is that if it is allowed, then you should do it because the less difficult matches you face the less likely you'll screw up and lose to a weaker opponent. Talent is the key factor, but there is an element of randomness in any close match-up, so the less close match-ups you subject yourself to the better. Once you have people explicitly allowed and incentivized to do that, then preliminaries will be full of it (because it's a significant advantage) and then preliminaries no longer work. They played the prisoner dilemma and chose betray. Fuck that.

Of course, that's not a sustainable or fair solution. You can't just eyeball it and whimsically hand out punishment, because nobody is taking the preliminaries as seriously as the actual games and you can't make them and shouldn't want to; there's risks of injury and just plain old strain and fatigue. If they really want a fair system without manipulation by the teams, they ultimately need a different system. Nevertheless, this particular example was above and beyond and if you can't be assed to even feel shame or show subtlety while deliberately gaming the system in a way that leads to its ultimate breakdown, you deserve to be disqualified for your stupidity, if not your ethics.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I like watching the beach volleyball. That's the extent of it.

Though the logo is hilarious, given it looks like someone performing fellatio.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:But I feel so good when my country wins!
Wow I feel really good when my country loses. Canadians are some of the worst losers I've met, especially against america so I always root for the US to beat the Canucks just to see people feel disapointed about something so meaningless and petty. Of course I'm still Canadian enough to hope that the US loses too so I support basically any country not from north america.
Last edited by ckafrica on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Why you gotta be hatin' on Mexico?