OSSR: Master Race's Handbook

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

OSSR: Master Race's Handbook

Post by Username17 »

Ted the Flayer wrote:I request the 2e elf book.
Done.

The year is 1992, and there are a number of people who feel that Elves aren't Lord of the Rings enough in D&D. There was a time when it was considered completely normal for fans to have arguments about whether Elves should be merely as good at doing stuff as other mortal races, or if they should be much much better. Taking the side that Elves should be near-angelic ubermenschen was this book: The Complete Book of Elves.

The Complete Book of Elves was written by Colin McComb, a man who would go on to write on a number of books that were fairly well received. He did some work on Birthright and Planescape books that were pretty good, and his work in the computer industry is pretty decent. So we're definitely not saying that this book is written by someone who has no talent or is a generically terrible person. What we are saying is that this is his first book that he wrote right out of college (really), and it comes across as the excited ramblings of a newly promoted fanboy. Interestingly, the credits page gives special thanks to both Richard Baker and Steve Winter for their advice. Those guys kept their jobs with TSR and then WotC until fairly late in the 4th edition purges, and I genuinely don't know whether back in the early nineties they were advising their young apprentice to tone it down or to add more Elvish fapping. Literally no way to tell.

So let's grab ourselves some Dwarven Mead and start reading The Complete Book of Elves.

The introduction starts off with an italicized introduction that is written in character from the standpoint of an Elf who really wants you to know that Elves are better than you are. Not just a little bit better, and not just in one or two or three ways, but in every way. They also want you to understand that Dwarves may have told you something different, but that it is equally if not more important to know that Dwarves are hideous, jealous, lying douchebags. I don't know if it was intended for Elves to come off as pretentious assholes, but they totally do.

The second part of the introduction is not in character, except that it's still totally in character. It's the early nineties man, it is what it is. It's talking to the player of the game, rather than to a hypothetical person in the world, but it's still speaking from an in-character standpoint and warns you that some of the book's contents are lies and that extra double secret Elvish secrets are still going to remain secret.

Then there is another Introduction that takes things a bit more out of character to talk about the Elf in the AD&D® Game. Although even here it informs you that it is grievously insulting to Elves to treat them as if they were the same, because Elves are more different one to another than Humans are. Keep in mind that this is a game mechanics description for the benefit of players of a game, and that Elves are in fact not real. Again: early nineties, so pretentiousness like this in game books was pretty normal. We are assured that chapters 1-8 are about Elven Lore, while chapters 9-13 are about Elven Roleplaying. No, I don't have the slightest idea what the different between those is supposed to be when all the lore is roleplayed because it is a fucking RPG. We are assured a couple more times that any information given is under no circumstances to interfere with the special snowflakiness of any particular Elf, who are very specifically special snow flakes no matter what else is said about them.

Then we get another Introduction segment, this time to flog other books. The thrust of this, the fourth introduction, is that The Complete Book of Elves is actually part of a series of Complete books, and that your Elvish character is not just an Elf, but in fact an Elvish Fighter, an Elvish Thief, or (especially) an Elvish Wizard, and that therefore you could get some mileage out of having a book for your class in addition to a book for your race. This section also reminds us that while I and everyone I have ever met in my entire life called this series "The Completes Series", it was technically called the "PHBR Series". PHBR stood for "Player's Handbook Rules Supplement", and if you want to know why there is no "S" in "PHBR" I believe the answer is "Go Fuck Yourself". There is a little blurb on all 7 books in the series that had come out before it, which goes to point out that the DM may wish to keep the material in the Complete Book of Dwarves a secret from an Elf player because Elves and Dwarves do not exchange basic information, and reminds you that full Elves can't be Bards while Half Elves can, because it's 2nd edition AD&D and Fuck You.

We then get to the fifth Introduction, which is a note on House Rules, and how this is 2nd Edition AD&D so your DM almost certainly has some. This differs slightly from the usual DM-felating bullshit of this era, in that it stresses that while the DM is free to change the rules around, it should be done in a manner that is "fair". Also points out that players unhappy with ruling can and should talk to the DM about it. This is shockingly mature for 1992, although it still peppers it with bizarre aphorisms like "Remember, there are no right or wrong rules". Like fucking hell there aren't!

Anyway, the final Introduction before we get to the first chapter which primarily tells you that you should be using the 2nd edition AD&D rules, and points out that if you are attempting to use the first edition AD&D rules that the page numbers will be different. I know that you'd have to be a paste eater to be playing 1st edition AD&D in 1992, and that you'd have to regularly miss your mouth with the paste you're trying to eat if you were legitimately confused about how to go about using a 2nd Edition power creep book with a 1st edition PHB, but even in that light this seems excessively patronizing to the reader. Of more import is the admonition to use the proficiencies system. See, back when the 2nd Edition AD&D PHB came out, the proficiencies were an optional rule, and just one of several optional rules for defining how character abilities worked. With expansion material, they became less and less "optional", as they were one of the only parts of the basic game that expansion material could latch onto. So by 1992, you were using Proficiencies. But the book still felt that it had to apologize for that fact, because it hadn't been true for very long. And finally, the author says that they are going to switch back and forth between male and female pronouns without warning "since elves make no distinction between male and female". This line has launched more Elf Gay Jokes than anything else that anyone has ever said or done in the history of anything.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:But, come: The elves are waiting.
Yes, it really says that at the end of Introduction 6

Chapter 1: The Creation of Elves

The first actual chapter of the book has to do with Elven creation myths. Because that's the most boring and irrelevant possible thing to talk about with regards to a fantasy race, so we're leading with that. It starts with an in-character italicized rant from a holy book of Corellon Larethian. It's a bit aout how Elves were created before all the other races, and also how all the races are less beautiful than Elves. We take a small break for the author to explain to you that Elvish creation myths are truer than other creation myths because Elves live a long as time and they have only had handreds of generations since the beginning of the universe unlike other sad sack races who have had like millions. Then we get right back into the in-character religious tirades, and we are assured that the Elf giving us this infodump is none other than Larian Songshine, whose name I assure the gentle reader I am not making up.

The in-character chunk is a thing about the war between Corellon Larethian and Gruumsh. "The Godswar" it is called, as if that was the only war between gods in D&D. But what's interesting about that is not the actual story, because honestly about nothing in the whole D&D mythos is more boring than the story of how Corellon Larethian cut the eye out Gruumsh. No, the interesting thing is that right after doing that the book descends back into what is nominally out-of-character and non-italicized text, and in doing so it gives what is possibly the most perfectly inane piece of self-important fappery of the era. The next paragraph is so over-the-top that I can't even describe it, i'll just print it word for word:
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:The tale of the Godswar explains some of the elven traits, both physical and mental. Being formed of the blood of the god Corellon Larethian accounts for why elves possess such long lifespans. Tears from the moon provide a rationale for the elves' ethereal beauty—a beauty that often led the lesser races to think of elves as gods. The soil of the earth explains the connection all elves feel with the land.
That is out of character.

Having talked of the Godswar, they then go on to talk about the Elfwar.That's the war between the Drow and the rest of the Elves. This book nixes the old Gygaxian idea that Drow have Black Skin because they live underground, but eagerly embraces the idea that Drow have Black Skin because they have been cursed by Corellon Larethian for their treachery. Remember kids: don't trust Black people because they have the Mark of Cain. Apparently, after the Drow left Arvandor to go through an interdimensional rift that took them to the lair of the Spider Queen which is in the Abyss but also under ground and everyone else "stayed" in Arvandor (yes, that part doesn't make any sense, I'm legitimately unclear as to how Elves ended up on the Material Plane of Existence in this narrative), the remaining Elves underwent something called "The Fractioning". During this period, Elves went off into different areas and some of them grew gills and others grew wings because they were appalled and discontented that some Elves had betrayed them by murdering people for no apparent reason in the name of the Spider Queen. That doesn't make any sense either. Fuck.

The nominally out-of-character portion continues to the end of the chapter, where it starts talking about Elves and Humans. The pretentiousness and incoherence of this chapter continues.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:The first elven contact with humans has been lost to the mists of time. Since the elves were figures out of human myth, the humans were more inclined to hold them in awe. This attitude has carried over even unto the present day, and the elves remain enigmas to humans.

How could the Elves be myths before first contact? What the fuck? Did Humans have myths that were Elf-like that the Elves exploited? Did the Elves and Humans have an earlier first contact, a hiatus, and then another first contact after the earlier first contact had long faded into myth and legend? I don't fucking know.

It then goes on to make a Lord of the Rings reference, to inform you that Elves don't trust Humans and many of them have said "You know what? Fuck this, I'm going home." and then picked up and left for "The Elflands". That's a place that is totally awesome that you can't go to unless you're an Elf. And Elves go there when they have tired of the World of Men. Because Tolkien.

The chapter ends with a mini-tirade about how Elves are afraid of Humans because Humans breed quickly and cause environmental damage. Because Tolkien. Also because it's the early 90s and RPG books had to have hamhanded environmental messages.

Next Up: Chapter 2: Variations on a Theme
That is what the chapter is actually called.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Anybody bitching about elves in Shadowrun, keep in mind that this and Mercedes Lackey were the only other things on the market.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

After seeing this display of elfwankery I am filled with trepidation and glee to see what they did with the rules for this.

I played a lot of 2e back in the 90's, but our group was mainly filled with teenage boys so elves were never really a favourite because of the slight whiff of foppishness.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

Sometimes I am sort of glad that I came late to the hobby and missed everything pre-3rd edition. I mean, the elf bullshit in Races of the Wild annoyed me, but this... this is better worse.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
OgreBattle
King

Re: OSSR: Master Race's Handbook

Post by OgreBattle »

FrankTrollman wrote:I don't know if it was intended for Elves to come off as pretentious assholes, but they totally do.

Yeah, that's really unfortunate. If Elves are suppose to be looked up for, they should act in a manner that does inspire awe and respect.

Elves should act like the Fonz, cool big bro types who will look out for the younger races, beat up orky bullies, and deliver a musical cantrip by whacking a box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=dor ... =endscreen

MElf
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

That book made me hate elves for quite some time.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Ancient History wrote:Anybody bitching about elves in Shadowrun, keep in mind that this and Mercedes Lackey were the only other things on the market.
I think Runequest's plant-elves were also available.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Talislanta was out as well. Had been out since 1987.. the No Elves book, that is basically filled with nothing but elves.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Thanks to this book, I know that any time someone plays an elf, they're going to be an unbearable assbag.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chapter 2: Variations on a Theme

Ow. The second chapter starts off with one of those rambling italicized in-character tirades. This one is more rambling and inconsistent than most. It comes in hard to try to convince you that Elves are specialer and snowflakier than other special snowflakes and have more specialness.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:After all, you Humans are different only in appearance. We Elves have more substantial differences, more than slight dissimilarities in philosophy.

I know this book is about Elves, who apparently wear blackface to show that they are treacherous, but do we really have to explain how "philosophy" differences are different from differences in appearance?

Anyway, the section then rambles off a list of various stupid Elf variants and talks about how they are all different and nonetheless all Elves live in total racial harmony. Except for the ten thousand year blood feuds and stuff we just talked about last chapter. But other than that, the days of intraracial conflict are totally over for the Elves, because they are more civilized than the other races and possibly the only really civilized race. Also, they are still totally at war with the Drow. But that's different, because it's not just a war about the color of their skin or the differences in their beliefs. Really. It says that.

Aside from being incoherent and possibly written as satire, the in-character portion is primarily interesting in that for reasons unknown they decided to port in the DRAGONLANCE® terms for the Elf subraces for this. And if you are unfamiliar with the work of the Hickmans in the 80s, it is actually pretty retarded. The Aquatic Elves are called "Aquanesti" while the Sylvan Elves are called "Sylvanesti". This is the level of creativity you get from someone whose main god of Good is named "Paladine".
:roll:

Dropping to the out-of-character portion, the book begins the non-italicized portion with the line "None are truly certain from whence the first elves arose.", which is odd because the book literally just spent the last chapter explaining that the Elves are in fact certain whence the first Elves arose, and indeed there's totally a god of Elves that presumably knows and was likely there at the time. The book also then goes off the deep end in getting its terminology mixed up when it insists that Elves have "spread to nearly every world on the Prime Material Plane" which is an interesting visual of Elves hiding in gas giants and clinging to rocks on thin atmosphered moons. I think they were trying to convey that almost all of the campaign settings have Elves in them, but what they actually said was way weirder than that.

The book has a take on why Elves are so different from one terrain to another, but it's not really as developed as K's tirade in Races of War. The reason why Ice Elves are frosty and Water Elves have gills is because... no one knows. Some people think they might have a touch of elemental power or something. Also, Elves are like bees, where they wander around and then go back to hives and report on their findings and all the other Elves know where to find honey. That last part I was not expecting, and I really don't know what the fuck it has to do with anything.

There is a chart for how tall and heavy you might be if you were an Aquatic, Dark, Grey, High, or Sylvan Elf. If you care, an Aquatic Elf man (the smallest type of Elf) is apparently 4'6" tall (137 cm) and weighs 98 pounds (44.4 kg), while a Sylvan Elf man (the largest type of Elf) is apparently 5'6" tall (167 cm) and weighs 115 pounds (52 kg). So it very clearly embraces the "shorter Elves" idea. That's been a big argument among gamers, whether Elves were supposed to be short like the Alfar or tall like the Sidhe. For what it's worth, this book takes the Alfar side and the Elves are short. But it also assures you that Elves are special snowflakes and that "the descriptions contained here do not apply to every elf", so if you want to have taller Elves you can do that.

The writeup on each Elf subrace is fairly long and gives relatively little information. We are assured that Sea Elves have an important role to play in the eco system of the oceans, but apparently that important role is that they are at war with the Sahuagin and they hunt sharks. I think this might be why the Aquatic Elves got saddled with an Intelligence penalty in 3rd edition. Aquatic Elves die if they spend more days out of the water than they have points in Constitution or half their lowest stat, whichever comes first. Which is extremely fiddly for something which is obviously not playable in almost any possible campaign. Also, they decide that this requires an example, which is two paragraphs long. There are some tirades about how beautiful their coral cities and crystal domes are, but no real nitty gritty about what the actual fuck.

Drow get their own section, naturally. The story of the Elfwar is told again, only it's slightly different this time and the Drow chose "Might over Justice" and mistook the other Elven delegation for a warparty rather than simply getting up one day and deciding it was murder time. Whatever, it's still a stupid story even if you tell it differently every single chapter. This book presents Drow male as being 4 foot, 7 inches tall (Drow Matriarchs are fully 5 feet even). This is super hard to take seriously as a mad tyrant. Apparently they have some sort of crazed Napoleon complex going on, but the book doesn't really interact with this at all. It's still AD&D, even if it is 2nd edition. So Drow craftsmanship is a "wonder to behold", but it slowly disintegrates when away from "the radiation of the Underdark". I am not making that up. If you take Drow crafted items away from the underground radiation, they fall apart. This is a piece of Gygaxian legacy fuck you that is continued in this book. It was stupid in the early eighties, and in the early nineties it was still fucking stupid. But the stupid legacy mechanics don't stop there - oh no! Because we get treated to a tirade about the evil matriarchal culture of the Drow, which includes this beauty:
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:Despite their chaotic evil nature, the society of the drow is rigidly structured and divided. Social strata and classifications are virtually immutable.
:argh:

Alignment discussions are stupid and horrible at the best of times, and explaining how an immutable caste system is "Chaotic" is about as stupid and horrible as it gets. There is no upside there. The book does helpfully tell you that "Lolth" is sometimes spelled "Lloth", neatly covering for the truly epic number of typos associated with the Spider Queen.

The Grey Elves we are assured are the most condescending of the Elves. Apparently they set things up so that Good would eventually win a long time ago and now mostly chill the fuck out in the mountain strongholds and meadows. Yes, the examples are mountain strongholds and meadows. They apparently wear mithril armor and ride around on griffons. But they only go anywhere or do anything if the world is threatened by great evil, because for the most part they consider their Xanatos Gambit to be proceeding just as Keikaku and don't see why they should fucking bother with you. We are reminded how terrible 2nd edition AD&D mechanics are by having the book interrupt its tirade about how much better than you Grey Elf Wizards are to remind you that Elves are only allowed to be Diviners, Enchanters, or Universalists. Because an Elvish Transmuter just would not make sense. Bonus points for having a tirade about how Grey Elf cities employ underclasses of other flavors of Elf to do menial labor that actual Grey Elves cannot be bothered to do. The final part of the subsection is a meandering rant about whether Grey Elves are more like Humans or more like Dwarves or really as quintessentially Elvish as they believe themselves to be. I for one, cannot imagine giving less of a fuck. But apparently, the rigid caste system of the Grey Elves is Lawful rather than Chaotic. Because... I don't know why.

High Elves get the next writeup, and it is largely given over to a tirade on how High Elves have really great skin. It doesn't tan, but it also doesn't look corpselike or sick. They just have skin that it soft and cream colored, and you'd love to have skin like that but you don't because you're not a High Elf. They get shout-outs to Elven Chainmail, Elven Cloaks, Giant Eagles, and so on because Tolkien. They live happy and free and are at one with the forests and so on. And their homes are so awesome that I just have to quote verbatim how awesome they are:
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:Elven homes are enchanted, the lands under their jurisdiction places of goodness. The realms of high elves are fabled in the lands of men, and the highest aspiration of many a human is to slip into the arms of death while basking in the serenity of the elf lands.
Yeah motherfucker! You might be dead, but at least you got to look at our pimp ass house before you went! Most people don't have it so good. The rest of the subsection is about what you'd expect: idyllic splendor, harmony with nature, yadda yadda yadda.

The Sylvan Elves (also called Wood Elves) are basically indistinguishable to me from High Elves. You see, unlike the High Elves, the Wood Elves spend all their time living in the woods and they are close to nature, and noone tells them what to do. And this is exactly how the High Elves are described. I really don't get what the difference is supposed to be. The Wood Elves are lower tech and spend more time hunting and sleeping under bushes and stuff. But since the High Elves apparently spend almost all of their time doing those things, I don't understand. Sylvan Elves are fucking taller is all I can see. Their specific art and astrological mumbo jumbo is gone into more detail, even though we are assured that High Elves actually do this kind of thing more. I don't even know, just go with it. They have a big get together every five years where they pick the Republican nominee celebrate the turning of the Seldanqith. I don't know or care what that means. They have a little tirade about how Wood Elves follow their gut rather than their mind, because "logic cannot save one from the charging boar" (note: I am almost positive this is not true).

Half-Elves get their own sub-section. It really wants you to give a crap about people who are Half-Elves because both of their parents were Half-Elves and claims there are whole communities where everyone is roughly 50/50 Human and Elf and talks about percentage chances for the children of two Half Elves with different Elvish Subtype parentage to look like they can from a single type of Elvish Subtype parentage... and I cannot muster an actual fuck.

Then they give a shout-out to a bunch of different campaign worlds and discuss the Elves in each of them. The campaign worlds described are Al-Qadim, Darksun, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms (hey, isn't Al-Qadim actually in Forgotten Realms? Go Fuck Yourself), Greyhawk, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer. It's basically all the campaign settings they were supporting in 1992, with the exception of Kara-Tur. And because it's an AD&D 2nd edition product, all of these are written "AL-QADIM® Campaign World", "DARK SUN® Campaign World", etc. Mostly these sections serve to remind us how fucking stupid the campaign worlds that were written in the 80s are. The DRAGONLANCE® section reminds you how many flavors of estis there are; while the FORGOTTEN REALMS® section reminds you that Elves refer to every non-Elf as "N'Tel'Quess" (which means "non-person"), and that the various flavors of Elf in that setting are seriously called shit like "Gold Elf" and "Moon Elf". I'll spare you the details, it's really more of an extended advertisement for other Old School Sourcebooks that are terrible in their own ways.

Really, only the Spelljammer section stands out. And that is because it is completely insane. In Spelljammer, the Elves have an Imperial Space Navy that has cloaking ships that sail through phlogiston. It also has a mad piece of speculation that Elves are actually aliens in all the different campaign worlds and have a secret Elvish homeworld elsewhere from which they colonized Greyhawk and Toril and all the rest. Spelljammer is batshit, and even a condensed rundown on Elves from that metasetting turns the crazy up to 11. Apparently all the Elves are actually Romulan infiltrators, and they do all this low tech tree hugging bullshit as an elaborate ruse to fool people into thinking they aren't aliens bent on galactic conquest. Or something.

Next up: Chapter 3, Physical Attributes.
Not to be confused with Height and Weight, which was in Chapter 2!
-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

That spelljammer segment sounds cool.

Hey Frank, do they get into elves having almond shaped slanty eyes? Or do they not talk about the eyes.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Re: OSSR: Master Race's Handbook

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:Having talked of the Godswar, they then go on to talk about the Elfwar. That's the war between the Drow and the rest of the Elves. This book nixes the old Gygaxian idea that Drow have Black Skin because they live underground, but eagerly embraces the idea that Drow have Black Skin because they have been cursed by Corellon Larethian for their treachery. Remember kids: don't trust Black people because they have the Mark of Cain.
Yeah, unfortunate that it mirrors real life racism, but it makes more sense (to the layman who knows only a little bit about cave dwelling species) than "they're black cuz they live underground."
Apparently, after the Drow left Arvandor to go through an interdimensional rift that took them to the lair of the Spider Queen which is in the Abyss but also under ground and everyone else "stayed" in Arvandor (yes, that part doesn't make any sense, I'm legitimately unclear as to how Elves ended up on the Material Plane of Existence in this narrative),
Typical mythopoetic shit. Maybe the underdark is one big abyssal bleed (hmm... I like that idea, actually).
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:The first elven contact with humans has been lost to the mists of time. Since the elves were figures out of human myth, the humans were more inclined to hold them in awe. This attitude has carried over even unto the present day, and the elves remain enigmas to humans.
How could the Elves be myths before first contact? What the fuck? Did Humans have myths that were Elf-like that the Elves exploited? Did the Elves and Humans have an earlier first contact, a hiatus, and then another first contact after the earlier first contact had long faded into myth and legend? I don't fucking know.
Dunno, how was Cortez a figure out of Aztec myth before first contact? How do Star Trek humans hold vulcans in such high regard when they first make contact?
angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Ancient History wrote:Anybody bitching about elves in Shadowrun, keep in mind that this and Mercedes Lackey were the only other things on the market.
I think Runequest's plant-elves were also available.
They, like everything in Glorantha, suck too. I should review that fucking setting sometime...
Last edited by Prak on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

The spelljammer elf is the only choice that I would use. In fact, my next character will be a spelljammer elf. "Yes, I am normal earth humanoid. Watch me frolic with disgusting earth monsters"
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Intruigingly, this was not the book that introduced the dwelf. Oh, and the Spelljammer/Elf nonsense gets even more bizarre in the individual 'jammer books for the setting; fucking Imperial Elf ships landing on Evermeet in the Forgotten Realms and stuff.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OgreBattle wrote:That spelljammer segment sounds cool.

Hey Frank, do they get into elves having almond shaped slanty eyes? Or do they not talk about the eyes.
It goes off on rants about how Elvish eyes come in lots of different colors like purple, gold, and gray. It goes off on how Elvish eyes provide keener vision than that of Human (though not as sharp as that of a bird of prey, it concedes). Also, a good bit of ranting about how Elvish Sight allows them to see with no light at all out to 60 feet because of Infravision. Also Drow eyes see twice as far without light because the "intensity of their infravision" is higher to the point that their eyes are literally hot to the touch and infrared glow in the dark (?), and Aquatic Elves have eyes that see sonar out to 360 feet while under water. Look, science is not this book's strong suit, shut up!

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote: Dropping to the out-of-character portion, the book begins the non-italicized portion with the line "None are truly certain from whence the first elves arose.", which is odd because the book literally just spent the last chapter explaining that the Elves are in fact certain whence the first Elves arose, and indeed there's totally a god of Elves that presumably knows and was likely there at the time.
If I had elf fanboys in my group, I would be so tempted to make elves an accident race that arose from one of Correlon's spank rags.
Also, Elves are like bees, where they wander around and then go back to hives and report on their findings and all the other Elves know where to find honey.
And by honey, they of course mean honies. Elves totally want human women, and are bro-douches. Man, I'm getting a lot of ideas from this.
But it also assures you that Elves are special snowflakes and that "the descriptions contained here do not apply to every elf", so if you want to have taller Elves you can do that.
Especially drow, the specialist of the the specialist snowflakes. Reminds me of a Robin Williams bit talking about aliens "It's not so funny now though, now that they've landed. They weren't the little green suckers we thought they were....They were 8 feet tall and black and they were pissed"
They just have skin that it soft and cream colored, and you'd love to have skin like that but you don't because you're not a High Elf. ... They live happy and free and are at one with the forests and so on.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

FrankTrollman wrote: Also Drow eyes see twice as far without light because the "intensity of their infravision" is higher to the point that their eyes are literally hot to the touch and infrared glow in the dark (?)
Maybe it's like those cameras that let you see through people's clothes. They've got an infrared sensor and an infrared light source, so drow eyes contain infrared OLEDs or something which they use to illuminate whatever they're viewing. And thus they can clearly see your boobies through that thin shirt.
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Prak_Anima wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: Dropping to the out-of-character portion, the book begins the non-italicized portion with the line "None are truly certain from whence the first elves arose.", which is odd because the book literally just spent the last chapter explaining that the Elves are in fact certain whence the first Elves arose, and indeed there's totally a god of Elves that presumably knows and was likely there at the time.
If I had elf fanboys in my group, I would be so tempted to make elves an accident race that arose from one of Correlon's spank rags.
While I am, quite understandably, reluctant to recommend anything of Raymond E. Feist's...that's kinda close to what he did.

Basically, while elves are still all mystical and better-than-thou, it's revealed fairly early in the series that elves were created more or less as a race of slaves (mostly of the sexy variety) for a now-extinct group of badasses called the Valheru, who the elves worshiped as gods. Or maybe just one particular Valheru? I forget...it's been a while.

So anyway, the "elf gods" totally made elves for sexytimes. I can totally see Corellon being, "Man, it's hard to bone goddesses. I bet I could make something almost as good, and never lack for poon". And lo, he created elves.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I think infravision is supposed to turn your eyes into emitters as well. I don't remember where I saw that though.

Spelljammer does not take itself too seriously. This is the setting that includes the British Navy, as played by belligerent space hippos.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You're thinking Ultravision.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Huh. That's too bad.

Thanks for the save.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chapter 3: Physical Attributes

Like every chapter, this one begins with an italicized in-character description of how and why Elves are better than you. This particular chapter begins with a High Elf ranger named Laranis Callirr. Like every name in this book, I am not making it up. Since this is the "physical attributes" chapter, it is literally just a cavalcade of boasts about how much Elves >> You. While reading it, I was unable to keep my mind from reading it in B-Ko's voice. I don't know if it was supposed to read like a tirade from a spoiled anime schoolgirl about to get smacked down, but it totally does.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:We do not try to prove that we are naturally better than everyone else. We only know that our abilities far exceed those of most, and our long lives give us the perspective to use these abilities to their fullest extent.

Anyway, the out-of-character section goes on to tell us that Elves look similar enough to short Humans that they can pass themselves off as Humans with a modest disguise. But that if they don't have a disguise, they are given away as Elves because their "distinctive countenance", which is to say that they are hot. Apparently, no Elf is ever born ugly, and low Charisma stats only come from magical curses or hideous scars. Because apparently Charisma == Beauty, which is why this race is so genetically hardwired to be extremely portable supermodels that they don't get Charisma bonuses.

We get some fapping to how Elves draw Strength from the earth itself and are the most powerful race and have lived since before Humanity evolved multicellularity (that sounds like it should be an exaggeration, but it actually says that). And how they hide it under an exterior that is petite and fragile looking, so many people mistakenly believe that they aren't better than anyone else, but really they totally are. But then we get to stuff like hair and eye color, which we are told is the primary way to distinguish different types of Pokemon Elves.

Elven senses are gone into. Elvish eyes are batshit insane and I mentioned them early a few posts back. Elvish ears are pointy and can hear better than Human ears can. The book grudgingly acknowledges that Elves don't actually have a game mechanical bonus to hearing things as such, but that he's totally double serious that Elves can hear outside the normal range of Human hearing and can pass messages that Humans can't hear. What's extra double weird about this tirade is that Elves actually do have a bonus to hearing - if they are a thief or bard. Thieves and Bards get Thief Skills, and one of those Thief Skills is "Hear Noise", which is an extra chance Thieves and Bards have to hear shit, and Elves get a +5% bonus to that chance. That is the same bonus that Gnomes and Halflings have. I know I said ealier that Elves couldn't be Bards, but they can be Demi-Bards, because this is 2nd Edition and shit like that happened. I feel dirty just for knowing this, and I'm going to move on.

The chapter's lead-in then tells you that the rest of the chapter will be devoted to the physical aspects of Elfness, which apparently includes such things life stages, fertility, music, and diet. One of those things does not seem to belong.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:Elves have certain abilities not accessible to most humans except through powerful magicks.
Even for the 90s, that shit is hard to take.

Basically, there is a section of this chapter given to "physiology", and before it starts getting into subsections, it decides to give you a teaser of Elf wanking about how Elves can do things other people can't, but rather than treating other races as inferior for not being born awesome, they simply consider themselves superior. They feel truly blessed, and have many virtues, including the humility to understand how dickish it would be if they just lorded their innate superiority over everyone all the time instead of being all mature about it and speaking of their personal awesomeness only in private. Rattling off all the ways Elves are awesome is like the Spanish Inquisition talking about their arsenal, and even they can't keep track of it all, so they just give up and say "Among the abilities all elves are born with are communion, elvensight, manifestation, the reverie, and a limited resistance to heat and cold."

Communion is the first subsection. I think it is important to point out that this ability is completely insane and has no basis in any previous work of Elves I am aware of. This is the thing by which Elves can get together in groups of up to four and do special bee dances where they share experiences and then all know how to get to the pollen sources. What is this I don't even. But it's not just about the pure wankery of their truer, deeper sharing, it also has practical powergaming applications, because once Elves do the bee dance with each other, they work together better and provide each other teamwork bonuses to attack and defense for a day, but you can only do it once per week. What the hell?

Elvensight was touched on earlier, and it's totally batshit insane. But for the most part, it's totally "normal" Infravision that Dwarves have. I don't know why Elves get Infravision that is called "Elvensight". It could be called "Dwarvensight", or even "Orcishsight" because in 2nd Edition AD&D all that shit worked the same.

Manifestation is another thing that no Elf in D&D has had before or since this particular book. Basically, it's like Presence from Vampire: the Masquerade. If people make fun of Elves for being short, they can invoke their innate connection to the land to make people pay attention to them and take them seriously. In a rare nod to consistency, this ability doesn't work if they leave the home planet. Yes, really. Functionally, it gives Elves a +3 Reaction bonus if they are willing to be extremely noticeable to get it. Using the 2nd Edition social rules, that's really fucking big.

Then we get to The Reverie. This, unlike the other crazy crap that has so far been mentioned, is an actual ability that D&D Elves have. Elves in D&D don't sleep, they zone out into meditation for four hours a day. That's a thing they do. This book posits that they do this because they are awesome and more superiorly superior than other races, even those races which are themselves superior. They are "intimately attuned to their own lives", they have "strong sense of self", and "allow only themselves to determine their course of action". You may wonder what any of that has to do with having a more condensed sleep cycle than a Human does, and the superficial answer would be "absolutely nothing", but in this case I think it has something to do with early 90s self empowerment buzzwords.

For no reason, Elves are comfortable wearing whatever kind of clothing between 0 degrees and 38 degrees. Beyond that, they suffer normally. Now personally, as an ordinary (albeit hairy) human, I am good to go from about -10 to 30, so I'm not really sure how this constitutes an "ability" per se. But it gets its own thingy. Sure, whatever.

Then we get "Other Abilities", where the author just sort of rambles on about stuff. It starts with this: "Despite their frail appearance and lowered Constitutions, elves have a remarkable resistance to ordinary disease." Got that? The rules say that Elves are more susceptible to diseases because they have lower Constitution scores. This is a very minor point, because diseases are curable by magic and people almost never have to miss major adventures because of dysentery. However, the idea that Elves might have an actual honest to goodness thing that they are not as good at as a normal Human is absolutely unacceptable to this book, so even Elvish weaknesses have to have secret powers that make them actually be strengths. Our Mary Sues are allowed only to have drawbacks that are rendered moot by special snowflake powers. Also, they heal scars better than you and some other crap that makes them specifically prettier and better than you are. And that's the end of the "Physiology" section. Note how actually very little of this section is actually about physiology, and most of it is about magical connections to the land and psychological makeup and shit.

Our next section is "Stages of Life", which helpfully informs us that Elves get to achieve adulthood upon turn 110 years old. Elves in this are very long lived indeed. There are also charts that tell us that a Drow turn old and frail at only 225 years old, while Grey Elves don't turn old and frail until 425. No one cares, because no game is ever going to last the 200+ years required for that to come up. Moving the fuck on.

The next section is "Diet". You'd probably think it would make sense to put Diet as a subsection to "Physiology", because you don't understand their genius. This section is bullshit and makes no fucking sense.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:Their preferences are clearly toward delicate foods and wines, particularly those that possess a great degree of subtlety. Heavier foods, such as beef and coarse bread, distress the elf stomach.
Have I mentioned that these assholes eat a lot of wild game? Well, they do. So when it says "delicate", it really just means "expensive". Because there is no definition of "delicate" I am aware of that includes venison and doesn't include fucking beef and bread. Sure, the section goes on to rant at you about how awesome Elvish food is, and how Elvish cuisine makes it so that the "finest human chef blushes in shame at his inadequacy". But they've already fucking lost me on the point that the author has no fucking idea that wild game is tougher and stronger tasting than veal. I know this guy is coming right out of college, but you'd think he would have at some point put food into his mouth before he put his foot there. The culinary pronouncements are so boneheaded that they can't even make the food sound good. It looks like the kind of shit you see at restaurants that are trying to charge prices like they have three stars but they have some highschool students in the back doing bag cooking on frozen vegetables. Fucking fuck.

There is a mini-section on Elven interfertility with other races. They assure us that half-elf/half-dwarf is possible, but don't actually say what they do. Hell, this entire mini-section is pretty much completely pointless, because it doesn't give any hint as to what could be expected from any particular dalliance. It doesn't even hint at what interfertility might actually be. Just that Elves are theoretically capable of having children with "other races". Gee, thanks a bunch. But no information about whether that would be blue moon fertility like Mule sex, or straight normal fertility like Ligers. Also no word on whether the offspring are fertile or not, nor a list of what "other races" might be.

Having given hardly any thought to things you might actually need rules or rulings for like genetics and interfertility, the book then regails us with six paragraphs straight about "The Bond". Here, I'll tell you the whole thing: Elves mate for life and fall deeply in love, and when they are separated from their one true love they feel very sad.
VERY SAD!

Elven music is so awesome that they won't play it around non-Elves, because it makes them feel inadequate. I'm not making that up.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:Elven music is an incredibly complex and beautifully crafted art, although it is not often played around non-elves. Elves have learned that their tunes haunt anyone who has an ear for music, for it leaves these people with a vague, unsatisfied yearning that can never be filled with anything but elven music.
It goes on to tell us that Elves don't send out Bards to adventure in order to spare other people the exquisite torture of having been given the "ultimate musical experience" and then getting cut off from the source. Because they "don't want to destroy the enjoyment humans find in their own music." Seriously. Elves don't play their music even around their enemies, because their music is so fucking totally sweet that it would senselessly cruel to show people from the lesser races what music could really be like.

And on that mind-blowingly egotistical note, we're done with the chapter.

Next up: Chapter 4: Mental Attributes.
Because the love, music, sleep, self confidence, and determination we talked about in this chapter aren't mental attributes!

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FrankTrollman wrote:This line has launched more Elf Gay Jokes than anything else that anyone has ever said or done in the history of anything.
True, but this easily wins the second-most:
The Complete Book of Elves wrote: But, come: The elves are waiting.
Bwahaha. :awesome:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

The funny thing is in my world, there ARE elves clinging to airless rocks and hiding in gas giants. Elves are nearly extinct in my world, but at their height they (or rather the progenitor race of both Elves and Dwarves) were a spacefaring race that had colonized most of the solar system before falling. There's a couple of colonies of inbred mutant elves clinging to existence out in space.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:Elven music is so awesome that they won't play it around non-Elves, because it makes them feel inadequate. I'm not making that up.
The Complete Book of Elves wrote:Elven music is an incredibly complex and beautifully crafted art, although it is not often played around non-elves. Elves have learned that their tunes haunt anyone who has an ear for music, for it leaves these people with a vague, unsatisfied yearning that can never be filled with anything but elven music.
It goes on to tell us that Elves don't send out Bards to adventure in order to spare other people the exquisite torture of having been given the "ultimate musical experience" and then getting cut off from the source. Because they "don't want to destroy the enjoyment humans find in their own music." Seriously. Elves don't play their music even around their enemies, because their music is so fucking totally sweet that it would senselessly cruel to show people from the lesser races what music could really be like.

And on that mind-blowingly egotistical note, we're done with the chapter.
This makes me want to treat elven music as a drug.

And play an elven bard.