THE GILDED THRONE: IC Thread

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

THE GILDED THRONE: IC Thread

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

It is a fine (if somewhat breezy) day. The sky is blue with nary a cloud in sight, the air is crisp and fresh, and the gentle roar of the Sellen's current reverberates throughout the vicinity of the stream as soothing white noise.

A heavily-loaded barge of dark wood with bronze fittings wrought to resemble insect wings and mandibled heads bobs down the river, the crew workinging with renewed enthusiasm now that their destination is finally in sight. A few armed guards with bows and long spears keep a wary eye on the shoreline and water near the ship, ready to shout an alert if they see a flicker of naga scales or possible bandit ambush.

It is on this vessel that our adventure begins. Captain Munin's barge Streamstinger stood out from the other options when the party were looking for a means of transit down to Artume. The owner has a full alchemist's workshop set up in his lab and just laughed when Yellow mentioned dumping failed poisonmaking experiments overboard. It seemed to support Captain Munin's reputation for easy tolerance of eccentrics who can still get their jobs done.

Sailing into Artume called for some extra security, and Munin was happy to sign on Artume-bound adventurers to provide it. A motley crew drawn together for mutual support as they look for opportunity in the restless state, the party has been on heightened alert for the last few days. As the tithes demanded by Regent Waike's templars increase and people emigrate to neighboring states, the possibility of famine from an unproductive planting seasons looms larger. Streamstinger is primarily loaded with grain from Sevenarches to alleviate this, though there are a crates of other "stuff" Munin has been reluctant to discuss with the party. Apparently, his clients paid for discretion. The captain is a man of few words when it doesn't involve his religion or Gralton politics.

Fortunately, the going is surprisingly clear. There are a few other boats on the way, and none of them have reported seeing nagas all morning. Artume's harbor comes into view, and Streamstinger glides past the artificial earthwork barriers that shelter the vessels within from Sellen's current. Munin rolls out a map for anyone who wants to see the town layout, mentioning that he heard a fire wiped out a significant number of abandoned houses in the south end of town not too long ago. (Reve senses magic in the map.)

As the ship settles into a dock near some warehouses on the eastern side of the harbor, Munin directs the crew to start unloading, excepting a few who are to run messages to some people in town. He thanks the party for their assistance, but seems pretty preoccupied with the ship's business right now.

However, there seems to be some kind of disturbance one dock over, that has drawn a small crowd. On one side, a squad of soldiers in Regent Waike's colors has boarded a docked vessel. Most have bright surcoats over scale mail but the leader stands out. His gear is worn, but well-cared for, and only his shield has the color scheme of the uniforms worn by the other soldiers.
Standing on docks and shouting up at them loudly enough to be heard even on the barge by the party, a bearded man wearing several weapons on a spiked battle harness over his red coat brandishes an odd-looking spear. He is flanked by two others wearing boiled leather and holding swords, with red-painted shields
"Taxes? TAXES?! Me? YOU want to collect taxes from ME? BWAHAHAHAaa! It is a good joke. You know what's not? My boot up your ass! Waike is chill, man. He gave me a hella swag title, and now I'm like a lord or some shit. Don't you think you can fuckin' tax me, bro! I will stab you in the fuckin' FACE, see if I won't. I should be taxing you or something.. um, well whatever, you ain't touching this shipment!"
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu May 09, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Crazy Cloud approaches the captain of the guard, holding his flute, hands clasped in front of him. Beneath his basket only his smiling mouth is visible. He intones in a deep, resonant voice:

"Problem?"
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

After sketching a quick copy of the map, plus some notes, into her journal, Reve slips the journal into a pouch at her waist, and joins Felf on the deck of the barge. Although Reve had been spending much of her time in the ship's alchemy lab, today she was packed and ready to go at sunrise, as was Felf. Evidently, they are eager to go ashore. Both elves seem slightly out of place on the water, dressed as they are in forest greens and browns.

Reve herself is a typical elf, with long brown hair and classical features. She wears a sensible outfit, with a small pack on her back, and many pouches (and one visible dagger) at her waist. She has an oversized walking stick, nearly half again as tall as she is, that is scarred and pitted, as though by acid, or fire, or perhaps both together. Felf stands slightly taller, with blond hair, and similar features. She is obviously a seasoned combatant, wearing a steel breastplate, with shoulder and leg guards, and padding and leather beneath it. She carries several weapons, the most prominent being a longsword at her hip, along with a shield and a large, heavy pack on her back.

Reve looks over at the commotion on the neighboring dock, and speaks to the others on the Streamstinger's deck, though not loudly enough to carry, "Interesting. Let's go see what happens. Unless anyone else wants to interfere?"

She and Felf hop ashore, to join the small crowd of onlookers, though they stay close to Crazy Cloud.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

As Crazy Cloud disembarks and presses through the crowd, he notes that pretty much every Artume citizen is carrying at least one obvious weapon. [Perception] He hears a few muttered exchanges between onlookers passing through. They seem conflicted over who to root for. There aren't any obvious city guards, so Cloud's question is addressed at the leader of the soldiers on the boat.

The man responds with a broad smile, leaning over the boats edge slightly as he talks down to the basket-wearing monk.
"Good day, stranger. Lord Rojari has simply forgotten that his fealty to Regent Waike comes with certain responsibilities. His gift of land and title comes with more obligation to contribute to our common defense, not less. And since he plus associates haven't killed any nagas lately, well..."

Gripping his spear more tightly, "Rojari" glares furiously at the soldier.
"Don't go there, hagspit! Your boss wouldn't spend my gold on anything useful anyways. You get off my boat now, and we can still work this out all peaceful-like."

[Perception] Standing on the deck casting her gaze over the harbor scenery, Reve thinks she saw something shiny gleam beneath the water's surface. It was only there for a moment. But it was on the other side of the barge.

[Knowledge] Reve's heard a bit about Waike's exploits in the Worldwound. The leader of the soldiers is probably one of his templars, warriors with experience fighting demons in the North. They typically act as squad leaders for local Artume recruits.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu May 09, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flare22
Knight-Baron

Post by flare22 »

when he wasn't eating or sleeping yellow spent most of his time availing himself of the alchemy lab and when he wasn't doing that he was either gambling with the crew when they were off duty (he seems to have broken even in that regard) or sparing with the crew using his bastard sword if you have an eye for combat you would have called yellows sword skills rusty and then observed that they returned smoothly with practice.

yellow stands above average height but is a little on the skinny side with toned muscles he has swarthy skin and a shaved head with a striking yellow beard. those who have been to Garund would peg him as Mwangi

his left arm has a tattoo of a megalodon and he wears chain shirt armor and carries a pepperbox and a double barreled musket he wears a bandolier and carries a black backpack with yellow trim and a belt with with a ten flasks tucked into it

as the commotion on the opposite dock plays out yellow finds himself a vantage point were he can get a good view of whats happening and if necessary take a shot without hitting anyone whats the distance between the two ships?
Last edited by flare22 on Thu May 09, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who fail to learn history
are doomed to repeat it;
those who fail to learn history correctly--
why they are simply doomed."
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Crazy Cloud shakes his head mournfully, and begins chanting the Sutra of Peace(in common). If the argument continues, he will just chant louder. If people begin yelling louder than he can chant, he will begin playing his flute.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

If Yellow fired from the deck of the Streamstinger, he could take advantage of cover and look down into the crowd to pick out precise targets. However, it's around a hundred feet away, and Munin might not be pleased if someone got his ship involved in a fight by firing into a melee from it.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Crazy Cloud's litany seems to take the armed mob by surprise. The templar backs up a little, and Rojari takes advantage of this opportunity to leap aboard and begin to whisper to the Artume soldiers in a somewhat more restrained fashion than before.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

[Are there any scroungy beggars nearby?]
flare22
Knight-Baron

Post by flare22 »

yellow mutters "crap i guess i should close the distance if only so i can have a good chance of hitting"

yellow shouts captain thank you for a pleasant voyage if you have any recommendations for lodging in this city now is the time because it seems i might need to help Cloud out of a bind

after waiting for an answer yellow looks for a location were he can get within 20 feet of the commotion and have a clear shot
are doomed to repeat it;
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Seeing that there might be trouble so soon, Sola steps closer to get a better idea of what's happening, pushing through the crowd towards the disturbance. Even if it's none of her concern, she still wants a good view should it turn interesting.

"Lord Rojari? He hardly seems to be acting in a very dignified, noble manner."

For now, she just watches, but from a short distance so she can join if it does turn sour.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Nesha and Valdym regard each other for a moment in that silent and annoyingly conspiratorial manner that has already become their trademark on this voyage. After reaching some sort of unspoken agreement, Nesha scoops up Criminy and places him inside the familiar's satchel upon Valdym's hip before marching onto shore together in an attempt to catch up to Reve and Felf.

Neither of them bother trying to appear more inconspicuous--people fear what they do not understand, so they long ago figured that sometimes it's best to get it over with early and give the yokels an eyeful. In Valdym's case "establishing the brand" merely means going about one's business with the hood of your scholar's robe down. For Nesha's part it consists of looking like a young woman who put on a rather expensive masquerade gown before promptly getting caught in a hurricane.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri May 10, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

"It seems the regent will have his due, in gold if not in blood. But it's no business of ours." Reve mutters. She leads Felf around the barge, to check out whatever it was she saw under the water. If it's a fish, then it's for the fishermen to catch. And surely the naga would not be so bold as to attack here, in the harbor of Artume itself. But Reve was never the sort to get by on taking chances. Better to be sure.

Felf, for her part, raises an eyebrow at Crazy Cloud's chanting, but turns and follows Reve, sticking close by her fellow elf.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

JigokuBosatsu wrote:[Are there any scroungy beggars nearby?]
Glancing around, Crazy Cloud spots a white haired old-timer with a peg leg who looks scrawny enough that he probably hasn't been eating regularly. And his weapon is nothing fancy, just a long knife dangling from a sash of hemp rope.
flare22 wrote:yellow mutters "crap i guess i should close the distance if only so i can have a good chance of hitting"

yellow shouts captain thank you for a pleasant voyage if you have any recommendations for lodging in this city now is the time because it seems i might need to help Cloud out of a bind

after waiting for an answer yellow looks for a location were he can get within 20 feet of the commotion and have a clear shot
Munin nods to him in acknowledgement as Yellow disembarks, and one of the sailors mentions that the Streamstinger is still going to be in town for the next few days. Yellow's free to rest aboard while the barge is still docked, but the sailors would be better suited for recommending bars than inns.

Hopping down to the barge, Yellow makes his way to a good vantage point on a nearby dock.
Koumei wrote:Seeing that there might be trouble so soon, Sola steps closer to get a better idea of what's happening, pushing through the crowd towards the disturbance. Even if it's none of her concern, she still wants a good view should it turn interesting.

"Lord Rojari? He hardly seems to be acting in a very dignified, noble manner."

For now, she just watches, but from a short distance so she can join if it does turn sour.
The sense of presence that empowers her magic seems to cling to Sola more strongly than usual today. As she strolls up toward the crowd people unconsciously pull away and form a path that makes for fairly easy progress. One scarred Taldan woman with a hand on the tiny crossbow dangling from her belt turns a few degrees to respond to her comment. "Rojari's a hothead. Damn good fighter, but tends to get into trouble when his partner Azul isn't there to reign him in. Ever since half their party died last fight with the nagas, he hasn't been the same."
Whipstitch wrote:Nesha and Valdym regard each other for a moment in that silent and annoyingly conspiratorial manner that has already become their trademark on this voyage. After reaching some sort of unspoken agreement, Nesha scoops up Criminy and places him inside the familiar's satchel upon Valdym's hip before marching onto shore together in an attempt to catch up to Reve and Felf.

Neither of them bother trying to appear more inconspicuous--people fear what they do not understand, so they long ago figured that sometimes it's best to get it over with early and give the yokels an eyeful. In Valdym's case "establishing the brand" merely means going about one's business with the hood of your scholar's robe down. For Nesha's part it consists of looking like a young woman who put on a rather expensive masquerade gown before promptly getting caught in a hurricane.
A few glances get thrown the pair's way, but they get the feeling the locals have seen some pretty crazy stuff already with all the other adventurers that get drawn into Artume's troubles. Speaking of which, it seems that things on the vessel have escalated into shouting once again. "I'M ROJARI THE BLAZING LANCER, FUCKFACE! YOU MESS WITH ME, YOU BEST KNOW A GOOD DENTIST!" The 'lord' smacks Waike's templar in the face with one hand, and soon a general melee has broken out aboard. Nobody is actually using their weapons, though.

Among the crowd, there are a few quiet laughs and people begin to make bets on the outcome of the brawl. Then a blinding flash of light suddenly illuminates the whole tableau and interupts both spectators and participants.

KaboOOOOM! A thunderclap echoes through the harbor as a spear of lightning hurtles into a warehouse, then through the far wall and the houses immediately behind it. Where the crackling energy passes, scorched holes and burgeoning flames are left. Several massive serpents with vaguely humanoid faces and beautifully colored scales heave themselves up onto docks and cobbled street, moving with supernatural speed. Sibilant voices hiss incantations, and several waves of billowing water rise up from the river water and fling themselves into the crowd. Each knocks several people down.

In addition to the multicolored nagas on shore (4 in total), the party can see a red-speckled black serpent with balefully glowing orange eyes. It was the source of the lightning bolt that just set several buildings ablaze.

The brawlers on the ship abruptly stop. "Naga attack!" Rojari helps the templar to his feet, and the two forces move in concert as they hop down to engage the snake-monsters, finally drawing their weapons. About half the crowd break and run, a few screaming. The others pull out weapons and move to support the soldiers, a half-dozen or so to each naga.

What do?
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri May 10, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

{Whatever posted just a little before me, so here's an addendum}
Reve spots the dark-scaled naga just as it rears from the water to send its mighty evocation burning into the warehouse next to them. The warehouse where, coincidentally, Munin just dropped off several crates of "stuff". They also see it hissing orders to several smaller monsters, who streak through the water up towards them. They are masked from sight of the crowd by the barge.

... lizardmen. They carry crude stone-tipped spears and wear necklaces of bones. The humanoids will be on shore in moments, and there are at least 3 of them.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Valdym grabs Nesha by the arm and points to the fleeing villagers: "See to their escape!". Nesha nods in response and moves to put herself between the bulk of the fleeing crowd and the battle at hand before casting an obscuring mist in an effort to deny the dark-scaled naga a clear shot at any screaming civilians as well as create cover for herself.

Valdym will stick with Reve and Felf. If possible he'll save his standard action and slumber hex anything that gets within its range.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Sola can see that in just a brief moment, everything got serious, Dangerously serious. Given she can't see the lizardmen, her focus is on the nagas that have attacked.

"Everyone, get back!"

With that simple warning, she steps in closer and focuses her attention on one of the nagas, extending her hand as she mutters in the arcane tongue.

(Initiative +2, casting Oppressive Boredom, Will DC 20)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Nesha moves to cover the retreating townsfolk with a screen of opaque mist, and the sizzling glob of green acid that whizzes overhead shows that the move was well-timed indeed.

As Valdym moves to support Reve and Felf, he places himself such that they can point out the lizardfolk without wasting anyone's turn.

The spellcasting of the water nagas cuts off as armed humanoids begin to poke at them with various sharp implements. Their scales and sinuous movements keep most strikes from doing much, but it keeps them tied up. Sola targets the nearest one with her spell. A perplexed look crosses its inhuman face. "Why am I doing thisss again? Fuck it, gonna go take a nap." It lunges down and bites into one of the templar's soldiers, then flops off the dock and back into the water with its prize. Several people get knocked off by its movement, but most grab hold of the wooden pilings and begin to climb back up.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Valdym will attempt to Slumber a lizardman then if they're in range, preferably one that is still in the river so it can get owned by a lung full of water.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Valdym casts his hex, and one of the scaly green shapes gliding through the water slows to a stop.
flare22
Knight-Baron

Post by flare22 »

"alright girl time to try out your new barrel and those naga look like a worthy target to unleash your wrath on"

yellow unslings his musket with as part of his initiative and loads one barrel with black powder and and a bullet using his bandoleer and a swift action
then he uses his move action to load the other barrel with and academical cartridge and shoots both barrels at once at the nearest naga

+6 to hit if it hits it does 2d12+2
are doomed to repeat it;
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Crazy Cloud leaves off his chant of peace, instead raising one hand in the wrathful tarjani mudra and leveling it at one of the lizardmen.

[Casting Murderous Command.]
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Yellow's bullets smack into the snake-monster, causing it to hiss and thrash about furiously. Several of the impromptu militia stop to clutch at their ears after the thunderous retort of the weapon. A few run into the mist cloud, screaming about more lightning bolts coming.

Rojari's weapon blazes with magical fire as he slashes and stabs at a naga in concert with the templar. The other soldiers and militia hang further back, darting in to support the attacks of the officers. It isn't making much headway but the remaining two slither a bit further into town, scattering townsfolk as they go. One knocks over some more people with a conjured wave, and another bites the crossbow-wielding woman that talked to Sola earlier, who promptly shudders and goes limp as the monster's poison takes effect.

The lizardfolk warriors begin to swarm ashore. There are more than it seemed at first, but when Crazy Cloud points into the crowd and one stabs another in the back with its spear, it throws the group into chaos. 4 of them begin to swipe at the attacker, hissing in their own language as they try to figure out what is going on.

5 others, led by a larger lizardman wearing a fancy duck-feather headdress, head straight for the warehouse. Valdym, Reve, and Felf stand between them and their destination.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

As the attack begins, Felf shouts "'Naga! Lizardmen! We're under attack!"

She draws her sword, and steps in front of Valdym and Reve, prepared to defend them and chop up some lizards. Reve, for her part, begins casting a spell on Felf, to Enlarge her, so that she can hold off the lizardmen (Enlarge Person). After that, when she next has a chance to cast, she'll try to trap part or all of the lizardman group in a conjured pit (Create Pit).

Felf remains focused on the oncoming lizardfolk, but Reve spares a moment to scan the battle and see what the Naga are up to. Reaching a conclusion, she shouts, "The Naga are a distraction! They're after the warehouse!"
Last edited by Whatever on Fri May 10, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Felf sets herself in place, and with the aid of Reve's spell she lops the heads from 2 lizardmen as they advance to engage [Reach, readied action, AoO]. The others slow to a halt. As more militia swarm over to the warehouses in response to Reve's cry, the lizard leader hisses in frustration and lets out an ululating cry. The remainder of their warriors and the nagas onshore retreat into the harbor, some trailing blood behind them. As the lizards move back toward the water, several are struck down by arrows and alchemist's fire flasks from the crew of the Streamstinger.

Over a dozen townsfolk are dead, and more are injured. Nevertheless, a cheer goes up as the crowd waves their weapons at the retreating monsters. Rojari and the templar make a beeline for the party, Waike's warrior speaking first.

"That was some impressive fighting, newcomers. We're in your debt, things could have gone south pretty fast without your sudden support. Are you adventurers? Anything Rojari or I can do for you?"

Rojari nods. It seems the two have forgotten their dispute.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.