Base Raiders: Superpowered Dungeon Crawling

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Base Raiders: Superpowered Dungeon Crawling

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The title of this book guaranteed that I was going to laugh/cry/both. The presentation being high amateur, I was expecting cry.

But the concept was actually pretty good. The premise is a standard Champions-style superhero world where all the supers, hero and villain alike, vanish overnight in some kind of Secret Wars nonsense, and then there's a race by all the world's opportunists to break into the equivalents of the Batcave and the Fortress of Solitude and Avenger's Mansion and the Watchtower and the Nefarium and Castle Doom and so on, in order to get at the goodies.

Now, I think the actual execution is badly flawed start-to-finish (I'm not even going to go into it), but I would totally play a game based on that premise.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

The premise sucked me in, too, though I've never found any joy in superhero games. The book's a'coming in the mail, hope it doesn't disappoint.
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It is probably going to disappoint.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Are there any particularly cool dungeon ideas, at least?
erik
King

Post by erik »

I like the notion of having to complete some sort of quest in a Castle Heterodyne knock off. Traps galore. Sentient but insane castle overmind(s). Monsters and golems aplenty.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

So, basically The Island of Doctor Destroyer but 32 years later someone expanded it into a whole RPG where the PC's don't actually get superpowers, the mercenary super villains aren't on the island and aren't necessarily racing the clock?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I'd rather see someone make an RPG out of The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.