Real world locations that would be cool for an RPG

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Real world locations that would be cool for an RPG

Post by OgreBattle »

http://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned-places/
Came across this photo set, has things like abandoned nuclear towns and sunken Chinese cities

Man made or natural, what are some inspiring sites you've come across?
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Aokigahara (青木ヶ原?), also known as the Sea of Trees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara
If you don't like seeing dead bodies, i'd advise to not google image search Aokigahara . .

more locations here:
http://www.cracked.com/article/181_the- ... ces-earth/

edit:
this is actually a series it seems
http://www.cracked.com/article_18830_th ... art-2.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_19511_th ... art-3.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_20140_th ... art-4.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_20704_th ... art-5.html
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

Detroit. It'd probably play out similarly to one of my Dark Heresy campaigns.
Last edited by Sakuya Izayoi on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Ronda, Spain makes a pretty decent fantasy town.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

The catacombs of Paris and Italy often have walls made of bones
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
TheNotoriousAMP
Journeyman

Post by TheNotoriousAMP »

If you are a playing a more dystopian game, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, especially back in the early 2000's, is about a good a setting as you can get. You can't go 10 yards without running into a hidden agenda, corrupt corps paying mercenaries to make the land bleed for rare minerals needed to fuel the first world's tech boom, just as likely to be betrayed by your employers as rewarded and chock full of moral decisions to be made. Its what Shadowrun wish it could be darkness wise. Plus, it wouldn't be too hard to add Lovecraftian themes, such as a corp taking advantage of the bloodshed for dark purposes, encouraging it behind the scenes to bring forth their dark Lord. Tons of oppurtunities for someone to be a hero or a mirror shade wearing dick, probably uniquely so for the modern "real" world.
LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Portugal has bones chapels too. I was just in one.

It was unpleasant.
Last edited by Ikeren on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

That website triggers all my crazy person detectors.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

erik
King

Post by erik »

codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Ikeren wrote:Ronda, Spain makes a pretty decent fantasy town.
That bridge is insane! I had no idea that existed! Very cool.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I was just there a couple weeks ago. The first thing I thought was "perfect fantasy town." Then I spent hours climbing up and down the canyon.
Redshirt
Apprentice

Post by Redshirt »

Luxembourg City would be a pretty cool location for a modern campaign location. It's got a lot of old architecture, a castle, tremendous wealth complete with shady international banking practices, and a huge gorge right in the middle of it.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Ikeren wrote:
I was just there a couple weeks ago. The first thing I thought was "perfect fantasy town." Then I spent hours climbing up and down the canyon.
I'm actually jealous. xD

I was sadly underwhelmed by the castles I got to see in Scotland. Primarily, I think, because they were 'modernized' in the sense of being nearly tourist traps.

Although the one in Edinburgh was definitely the better of the two.

The Wallace monument was pretty friggin sweet though. Super cramped, crazy windy, awesome view. Plus a statue of Mel Gibson as William Wallace. Hilarious xD

Pictures of northern Scotland would make good fantasy settings. Ruins of towers in the middle of feilds being grazed through by sheep, single lane roads winding around sides of mountains... oil rigs floating off the shore. Shit. wait.. (That was a pretty cool sight too)

Oh! Where the ocean meets the north sea!
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

I suppose I should say New Zealand, because, you know, Lord of the Rings. But really, people only make movies here because of our exploitative employment laws and large government subsidies. Switzerland has nicer mountains, Scandinavia nicer fjords, many places more bleak, or more luxurious. All we have is all of them in the same camera shot, over and over again.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

The Burj Khalifa in Dubai perhaps
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

radthemad4 wrote:The Burj Khalifa in Dubai perhaps
Campaign-length Die Hard scenario.