WTF, White Wolf?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

WTF, White Wolf?

Post by Longes »

Well, technically it's "WTF, Onyx Path".

I've opened VtR: Strix Chronicle
Merit: Undead Menses (••)
Effect: Throughout history, various cultures attributed mystical significance to the menstrual cycle. Many of these myths carried stigmas against menses, due to the unhealthy fears of men in power.
With this Merit, your character still produces menstrual blood. Once per night, she can produce a viscous, dark blood. If she uses this blood in casting a Crúac ritual, she benefits from the 8-again quality. If she touches it to a person before affecting them with a Discipline, they suffer her Blood Potency as a penalty to his Resistance.
Drawback: The character must identify as female. If she draws forth her Undead Menses multiple times in an evening, each beyond the first causes her a level of aggravated damage. As well, any attempts to identify her by her menstrual blood gain a +5 die bonus.
Last edited by Longes on Wed May 07, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I'll give White Wolf this: Onyx Path is way, way worse.
(looking at you, Exalted rapeghosts)
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

fectin wrote:I'll give White Wolf this: Onyx Path is way, way worse.
(looking at you, Exalted rapeghosts)
The only reason I opened the book is because people keep saying that it's the best thing since sliced bread. I refuse to ever play any VtR game ever :bash:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Meh, that's not a wtf to me. Ancient cultures did ascribe mystical power to menstruating women, and Crúac rituals come from the Circle of the Crone- the spooky witch vampires. This is actually a merit that makes perfect sense, thematically, anyway. Mechanically... does VtR not use blood points? Because this should cost vitae.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
K
King

Post by K »

I just love that it's a merit to let undead transgendered men get a period. You don't even need a vagina-like orifice.
Last edited by K on Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, it was interesting that it doesn't require one to be physically female. I kind of want to play a non-disphoric genderqueer vampire who actually pisses blood at their enemies now.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Longes is being ironic, right ? Because that merit is awesome. It evokes more color than 150 pages of generic D&D spell lists.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

silva wrote:Longes is being ironic, right ? Because that merit is awesome. It evokes more color than 150 pages of generic D&D spell lists.
Silva, you would love Black Tokyo.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

I can see a flood of Drag Queen vampires. Is it enough to just tell the person you want to affect you are a lady? Or do you actually have to believe to be a lady? Do you have to present yourself as a lady all the time?

The flavour (PHRASING!) of this merit is fine, but the way they have written this, it is easily abusable. Of course Vampire players are above such things... "My character is a second generation süper vampyre and tours with his band through eastern europe right now"
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

K wrote:I just love that it's a merit to let undead transgendered men get a period. You don't even need a vagina-like orifice.
The trans thing just makes this merit magical.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

My first three thoughts on this:

1) I'm pretty sure in oVampire you could basically do this without a merit by spending a blood point. They had a whole thing where vampires could simulate certain aspects of being alive like popping a boner by spending a blood point.

2) This would be an interesting ability to fuck with players on by giving them that derangement from Ghouls: Fatal Addiction that made them freak out every time they had their period.

3) Man, I'm glad they haven't written a pour to force others to spontaneously menstruate...yet.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Ancient History wrote:1) I'm pretty sure in oVampire you could basically do this without a merit by spending a blood point. They had a whole thing where vampires could simulate certain aspects of being alive like popping a boner by spending a blood point.
Oh, you can do that in nVampire too. It's called Blush of Life. You spend a blood point and look like a real boy for a scene.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

silva wrote:Longes is being ironic, right ? Because that merit is awesome. It evokes more color than 150 pages of generic D&D spell lists.

I sincerely doubt that, considering the implications from merely the Wish Spell. Let alone stuff like Legend Lore, that tell a world where 11th/20th are beings of "legend" and greatness. So if ye can't find flavor, "evocativeness" in it all, you're either just focusing on crummy evocation spells, or you're not trying very hard (considering how impressionable you are, that's saying something).
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Everything is wrong with that writeup.

Let's start with language mechanics. The object of the sentence is referred to as "they" and subsequently as "he." It's fine to use gendered and non-gendered pronouns, but not for the same person in the same sentence.

Now let's go to game structures. Vampires do not make blood. They drink blood. If they drop blood somewhere, they need to spend some of their blood to do that.

Now let's talk game mechanics. The 8-again quality increases the likelihood of getting extraordinary success at the direct expense of an equal reduction of the likelihood on non-extraordinary success. If you go through Cruac rituals, a fuck tonne of them don't make meaningful distinctions between those two states.

Now let's talk theme. Menses means "month." If it comes every night, it's not really "menstrual blood," it's just vaginal bleeding.

This is completely fucked. It fails thematically, mechanically, structurally, and linguistically. Anyone passingly familiar with the Vampire game, the English language, or lady parts should have rejected this draft outright.

-Username17
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Let's start with language mechanics. The object of the sentence is referred to as "they" and subsequently as "he." It's fine to use gendered and non-gendered pronouns, but not for the same person in the same sentence
No.
If she touches it to a person before affecting them with a Discipline, they suffer her Blood Potency as a penalty to his Resistance.
"She" refers to the Vampire, "they" refers to the victim.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Longes wrote:
Let's start with language mechanics. The object of the sentence is referred to as "they" and subsequently as "he." It's fine to use gendered and non-gendered pronouns, but not for the same person in the same sentence
No.
If she touches it to a person before affecting them with a Discipline, they suffer her Blood Potency as a penalty to his Resistance.
"She" refers to the Vampire, "they" refers to the victim.
And "his resistance" also refers to the victim. Should be "their resistance" if the victim was introduced as "they," which they were.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

I would never accuse the writers of WoD of being familiar with lady parts.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Now let's talk theme. Menses means "month." If it comes every night, it's not really "menstrual blood," it's just vaginal bleeding.
Well thematically mensturation is related to the lunar cycle and crazy ass moon magic so this really should be something of interest to werewolves.

However, I have to say that you're being intentionally obtuse here. Menstruation as a medical term and as an English word refers to the process of the lining of the uterus sloughing off and flowing out. Menstrual blood is defined as liquified uterine lining.

Of course, the real kicker is the potential implications for vampire pregnancy.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Holy juvenile writeups, Batman... I guess somebody at Onyx Path thought Apocalypse World was outEXTREEEEEEMEing them and felt it was time to up the ante.

Now, consider how this was meant to be used for Cruac, a discipline exclusive to vampire witches, and they also get bonus points for othering.
Last edited by Dogbert on Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
jadagul
Master

Post by jadagul »

I'm hung up on the phrasing "Drawback: The character must identify as female." I know what they meant, but...
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Says the guy who also likes PedoWorld. :ohwell:

jadagul wrote:I'm hung up on the phrasing "Drawback: The character must identify as female." I know what they meant, but...
yeah, me too.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

oh my god what the fucking fuck

no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no

a thousand times no

"If she touches it to a person before affecting them with a Discipline, they suffer her Blood Potency as a penalty to his Resistance. "

OH MY GOD DOES THIS MECHANICALLY INCENTIVIZE RUBBING YOUR PERIOD BLOOD ON A MOTHERFUCKER?

i am vomiting uncontrollably all over myself
Last edited by Neurosis on Thu May 08, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

So? Is rubbing your regular vampire blood on people any different? This is one of those "farting is funny, queefing is disgusting" things, isn't it?
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Rawbeard wrote:"farting is funny,
Citation fucking needed there. Breathing is barely tolerable, and it only gets worse from there.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Rawbeard wrote:This is one of those "farting is funny, queefing is disgusting" things, isn't it?
Shouldn't it be the other way round?